3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185185 times)

Online Dream Team

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Showdown no longer South of the Border
« Reply #1995 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
I don't understand all of the Eli talk, must be Giants thing. Dude has always been average and was lucky enough to win 2 super bowls. Now he's old. Time to move on.

His D-Lines won both of those. He put up 17 and 21 points.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1996 on: November 15, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
Well, not really for me (though maybe a little; I grew up in a Giants household).   For me, it's more about the style of play than anything else.   I think the number of quarterbacks that came in, runnin' and a-gunnin', until the second or third time through the league when they either got the shit beat out of them or the defenses caught up are as long as the list of bands Mike Portnoy plays in.  I have an affinity for the scrapper, the underdog, the guy that does whatever it takes to win, personal stats be damned.  That's not to say that Trent Dilfer belongs in the Hall Of Fame, or that Dan Marino does not; I just think more respect should be paid to those guys that elevate their teams or answer the bell when they need it the most.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1997 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
I just think more respect should be paid to those guys that elevate their teams or answer the bell when they need it the most.   

So do I.  But I thought we were talking about Eli.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1998 on: November 15, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
I just think more respect should be paid to those guys that elevate their teams or answer the bell when they need it the most.   

Oh, SNAP!!!  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1999 on: November 15, 2018, 01:20:54 PM »

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: November 15, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »
I liked Hugh when he played for the Pats. Bad teams but he had great effort and was the only reason they won 6 games one year.

He held the clipboard for Elway, Aikman, and Marino, so has sat in the meeting room with some HoFers. I've heard him mention that Marino rushing stat a few times, always bewildered how a QB who played more than a decade couldn't rush for the length of a football field for his entire career.

Now... carry on with the Eli/HoF discussion.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2001 on: November 15, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Been discussed, but I’m glad Bell is gone. When he played it seemed to make the Steelers more conservative on offense and they scored less than when they had someone like DeAngelo Williams subbing for him. Pittsburgh/Tomlin still love that pound the rock/control the clock philosophy but that outdated 40 year old approach needs to die a horrible death. The way to win is to be aggressive and SCORE as often as possible.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2002 on: November 15, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
I'll just say that although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was always thought of as one of the elite QBs in the league while he was playing. 

Hugh Millen is a very articulate and respected voice in the Seattle Sports Radio market, and is very big in to numbers. On more than one occasion he has stated the most baffling number he has ever seen with regards to the NFL is that Marino, throughout his NFL career, amassed 87 years rushing.
And 107 of them came in two seasons.  :lol  Problem was he had 12 seasons of negative rushing yardage. Only five with positive yardage. He's also -6 yards receiving.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2003 on: November 16, 2018, 07:50:32 AM »
Been discussed, but I’m glad Bell is gone. When he played it seemed to make the Steelers more conservative on offense and they scored less than when they had someone like DeAngelo Williams subbing for him. Pittsburgh/Tomlin still love that pound the rock/control the clock philosophy but that outdated 40 year old approach needs to die a horrible death. The way to win is to be aggressive and SCORE as often as possible.

As I've said, I'm glad he's gone too. But I will say, I think part of what you are talking about is because of the new OC this year. His play calling has been much better than Haley.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2004 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:06 AM »
When I think of Eli I think of what I remember someone saying on sports talk radio when there was a debate about Mattingly getting in for the baseball HOF: It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: November 16, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
When I think of Eli I think of what I remember someone saying on sports talk radio when there was a debate about Mattingly getting in for the baseball HOF: It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.

"Fame" is open to interpretation. Is it the Hall of Greatness? Perhaps it should be. I've heard something along the lines of "If you can't tell the story of football without that owner/coach/player, then he goes into the hall of fame. Eli's two SB wins are lore, especially the first one. He wouldn't get into a Hall of Excellence.... but he'll get into the Hall of Fame, eventually....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2006 on: November 16, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
Eli's two SB wins are lore

:rollin

And I can't stress this enough:  :rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: November 16, 2018, 10:58:31 AM »

Laugh all you want.... but that play between him and Tyree to help NY beat the only 18-0 team in league history is one of the biggest "moments" in league history. I know full well the strength of that team was their D line, and we both know that they were very, very lucky to escape San Francisco with the Conference Championship after the 2011 season, but I think I know how voters tend to think... and the two Lombardis and that "moment" will be on their minds for sure.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: November 16, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »

Laugh all you want.... but that play between him and Tyree to help NY beat the only 18-0 team in league history is one of the biggest "moments" in league history. I know full well the strength of that team was their D line, and we both know that they were very, very lucky to escape San Francisco with the Conference Championship after the 2011 season, but I think I know how voters tend to think... and the two Lombardis and that "moment" will be on their minds for sure.

I showed this post to Mrs. P. She rolled her eyes and said, "He'd be a shoe-in for the Hall of Mouthbreathers."

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2009 on: November 16, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

"Fame" is open to interpretation. Is it the Hall of Greatness? Perhaps it should be. I've heard something along the lines of "If you can't tell the story of football without that owner/coach/player, then he goes into the hall of fame. Eli's two SB wins are lore, especially the first one. He wouldn't get into a Hall of Excellence.... but he'll get into the Hall of Fame, eventually....
That's a pretty good way of looking at it.

Eli was a good quarterback. At times he was able to step up under pressure and play at a exceptional level. Unfortunately you can't play an entire career of superbowl games against NE.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2010 on: November 16, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
I have no doubt that Eli will get voted in, but if the question is, "should he make it?", then the obvious answer is no, IMO.

While I agree that the Eli/Tyree is a big NFL moment, so was Dwight Clark's catch, dubbed "The Catch," and he is not in the Hall of Fame, so being part of an historic moment or play doesn't automatically get you in.

I think having played in NY will help Eli a lot as well. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2011 on: November 16, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
I have no doubt that Eli will get voted in, but if the question is, "should he make it?", then the obvious answer is no, IMO.

While I agree that the Eli/Tyree is a big NFL moment, so was Dwight Clark's catch, dubbed "The Catch," and he is not in the Hall of Fame, so being part of an historic moment or play doesn't automatically get you in.

Being Archie's kid and Peyton's brother will help him more.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2012 on: November 16, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
Yup.  All of that.

And, honestly, I don't know that the Tyree catch is nearly that much of a "moment" as, say, "The Catch."  Whenever I hear it referred to, whether it is fans just talking, or commentators, or football analysts, it is usually couched in terms of what a lucky play it was, or, at best, that it was what kept Brady from a perfect season (i.e., the emphasis is on Brady rather than Eli).  So I'm going to push back a bit on it being one of those iconic, defining football moments. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: November 16, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
The Catch was the better of the two plays in my opinion. It was a score....a game winner at that, and it got the 49ers into the Super Bowl.   But the helmet catch, while in the big game itself was not a scoring play. Sure it did a lot to help the Giants win, but things still could have happened.

I believe Jim Plunkett is the only QB with 2 SB wins not to be in the Hall of fame, well other than the obvious choices who are still awaiting retirement and/or eligibility. So there is precedence for Eli not to be inducted. I'm in the camp that he shouldn't get in, but probably will, but I don't think it will be on the first ballot. I also think you have to consider who may be eligible when he is. I don't see him getting in the same year as Brady or Brees. Roethlisburger perhaps, but the voters will most assuredly put him in before Rivers (if Rivers even gets in) unless he grabs a ring or two between now and retirement.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2014 on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »
I can't disagree too strongly with any of that.  But that is a far cry from saying his play in either super bowl is the equivalent of "lore."  I strongly take issue with that. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: November 16, 2018, 11:48:48 AM »

Well, beating the 18-0 Pats and having one of the craziest plays in SB history isn't lore, I'm not sure what is. 

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/top-50-super-bowl-moments-all-time  they list at #1 super bowl moments

The second win wasn't as much lore as just a good game overall with some clutch plays, but doesn't have the "undefeated" or the "helmet catch" tied to it to make it anything other than a good super bowl game.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2016 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
26, 25, 13, 14, 34, 9, 9, 12, 8, 12, 18, 17, 12, 38

^ That's Eli's rank league wide in Quarterback Rating for every season starting with 2017 and going backwards. I know QBR isn't perfect, but this is a guy who was top 10 in the league only 3 times in 14 years and never higher than 8th.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: November 16, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
I can't disagree too strongly with any of that.  But that is a far cry from saying his play in either super bowl is the equivalent of "lore."  I strongly take issue with that.

I'm good with that. Don't know where I pulled "lore" out of, but I meant that it's a play that usually shows up on highlight reels and top moment countdowns.... things of the like. And I think voters like stuff like that, especially given the stage and opponent.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2018 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
I don't understand all of the Eli talk, must be Giants thing. Dude has always been average and was lucky enough to win 2 super bowls. Now he's old. Time to move on.

You can blame it on me.  I started it, but didn't think it would go on for over a page. :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: November 16, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

You can blame it on me.  I started it, but didn't think it would go on for over a page. :lol

True and the giant fan in me came out, also regarldess, it is time to move on.  No doubt about that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: November 16, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
Athlon is a major sports magazine, not sure why that needs to be questioned

but since the source seemed to be questioned

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/26/greatest-super-bowl-moments-all-time-ranked/1068887001/ USA today has it #2

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-50-great-super-bowl-moments-10-1-snap-htmlstory.html LA times has it #2

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/30/sport/super-bowl-memorable-moments-trnd/index.html CNN top 17 most talked about, not best or anything (this list includes stuff not game related)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2022 on: November 16, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
but since the source seemed to be questioned

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/26/greatest-super-bowl-moments-all-time-ranked/1068887001/ USA today has it #2

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-50-great-super-bowl-moments-10-1-snap-htmlstory.html LA times has it #2

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/30/sport/super-bowl-memorable-moments-trnd/index.html CNN top 17 most talked about, not best or anything (this list includes stuff not game related)

The USA Today list looks really good. Good to see the Warner to Bruce winning TD gets some notice for once (it always seems to be forgotten because of the play at the very end).

Being Archie's kid and Peyton's brother will help him more.

Very true.

Offline robbob

« Reply #2023 on: November 16, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
Big Bears fan here, anyone else ? There's got to be some Chicago folks here that are fans.
Well, it's about time we have a team that we can get excited about, especially since we've sucked for quite a while.
Huge game this week against the Vikes during prime time. Will prove how good they really are.

Defense is solid, Mack, what a beast. Passing game is good, hopefully Trubisky continues to improve. What does worry me is the lack of any real running game. May come to bite them in an important game.  But, in today's NFL do you really need one ? Especially if you can continually scheme up good, efficient passing plays to prolong drives.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:43:25 PM by robbob »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2024 on: November 17, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
Howard and Cohen are a good 1-2 punch at RB - Howard can be the grind it out and get tough yards guy, while Cohen can be their Alvin Kamara-type back - so I wouldn't worry, especially since the Bears are 12th in the NFL in rushing yards per game.  I am still not a total believer in Trubisky, but Nagy is coaching the hell out of him and showing us again how important coaching is when it comes to developing a young QB.

Surprised to see no chatter about the Thursday night game.  McCarthy is getting most of the heat for his brain dead decision to punt with 4 minutes left, but Rodgers didn't play well in the 2nd half of that game.  That 3rd and 2 throw (his last play of the game, as it turns out) saw him miss a wide open receiver before the questionable decision to punt.  I think a coaching change in GB is not only needed, but coming.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2025 on: November 17, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
Well, you know how often I rail about conservative loser mentality coaching so I am totally with you on McCarthy. The relationship is broken, like it was with Haley and Big Ben and he had to threaten to retire to get Haley out. Rodgers I’m sure won’t have to go that far since hopefully the owner realizes MM needs to go.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: November 17, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
If I were the GM, I'd literally let Rodgers pick his own HC or pick a defensive minded coach and let Rodgers pick his OC.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: November 17, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »
Maybe if Rodgers didn't insist that so much $$$ went into his pocket, they could invest a bit more in other positions......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2028 on: November 18, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »
Big Ben has now thrown 8 interceptions in his last 2 1/2 games against the Jags. :eek :eek

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2029 on: November 18, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
I didn't notice it in the replay (I was looking high, not low) but Alex Smith's injury is apparently a carbon copy of Theismond's. A fact JT pointed out within 3 minutes of the injury.
E.F. Benson