3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185164 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Showdown no longer South of the Border
« Reply #1960 on: November 13, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Do you have plans to just go anyway and have a mini-vacation?
No, my limited Vac time at work is too valuable and honestly for me, I would probably never go to Mex City if not for something like the game or big event.  We're more tropical peeps...with water :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1961 on: November 13, 2018, 05:07:30 PM »
That really sucks. I'm surprised they couldn't just re-sod the thing. The NFL is generally pretty good about these sorts of things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1962 on: November 13, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
Yeah, that's brutal for fans like Crimson... :sadpanda:

My family and I travel to Denver frequently to see the Broncos play and usually buy our tickets within a week of the schedule being released. We usually go in September or October, and 2 of the last 4 times we've gone, there was a really nasty storm in NJ the weekend we flew out in 2015 and this year Hurricane Florence was the same weekend that we flew out to Denver (which ultimately did not affect NJ, as some had originally anticipated). I can definitely relate to the nervous/anxious feeling of potentially missing out on a trip you've been looking forward to all year due to unexpected weather.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:04 AM »
The field in Mexico City certainly looks better than Lambeau Field did for the '65 NFL title game

along with

https://gridironuniforms.forumotion.com/t540-mud-games
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:43:23 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1964 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:50 AM »
The field in Mexico City certainly looks better than Lambeau Field did for the '65 NFL title game

along with

Maybe, but one could say that any field that has the Browns on it looks like shit...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1965 on: November 14, 2018, 05:58:06 AM »
^^  :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1966 on: November 14, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »

along with

That's football, right there. 

Can't be 100% sure, but it looks like the Packer on the ground in the lower right (with No. 80's hand on his back) is number 76; if so, he and my dad were friends in high school.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1968 on: November 14, 2018, 07:06:38 AM »
That really sucks. I'm surprised they couldn't just re-sod the thing. The NFL is generally pretty good about these sorts of things.

Agreed, in fact that's what I assumed they would do after these stories came out about the field condition. I'm surprised the solution was to just move the game to LA.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1969 on: November 14, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »

along with

That's football, right there. 

Can't be 100% sure, but it looks like the Packer on the ground in the lower right (with No. 80's hand on his back) is number 76; if so, he and my dad were friends in high school.

Bob Skoronski?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: November 14, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
Yessir.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1971 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »
Yessir.

to be clear, I've never heard of him, just did a quick google search to see who it was.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1972 on: November 14, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »

Agreed, in fact that's what I assumed they would do after these stories came out about the field condition. I'm surprised the solution was to just move the game to LA.
By the time they moved the game yesterday the field was already far better than the early pictures suggested. By MNF it would have been a better surface than Oakland, and maybe Washington, and games don't get pulled from there. I think the league caved to the NFLPA, which is both surprising and sad.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1973 on: November 14, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »

By the time they moved the game yesterday the field was already far better than the early pictures suggested. By MNF it would have been a better surface than Oakland, and maybe Washington, and games don't get pulled from there. I think the league caved to the NFLPA, which is both surprising and sad.

Yup and yup.

On another note - I forgot to post my happiness that 4 o clock came and went yesterday without Mr. Bell reporting. Thank everything holy.

Good luck to the foolish GM that gives that guy a long term deal. I think he wants the big guarantee up front because he legit doesn't want to play football anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays a couple more years until he can transition into being a horribly, awful rapper.  It's also important to note that Connor is showing a lot of Bell's success may have had more to do with the Steelers O line and their significant passing threats than people originally thought.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1974 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
On another note - I forgot to post my happiness that 4 o clock came and went yesterday without Mr. Bell reporting. Thank everything holy.

Good luck to the foolish GM that gives that guy a long term deal. I think he wants the big guarantee up front because he legit doesn't want to play football anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays a couple more years until he can transition into being a horribly, awful rapper.  It's also important to note that Connor is showing a lot of Bell's success may have had more to do with the Steelers O line and their significant passing threats than people originally thought.

I am SO GLAD someone suggested drafting James Conner for my fantasy team.  Picked him up for basically a dollar, and he's only had like one dud game all season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1975 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
I am SO GLAD someone suggested drafting James Conner for my fantasy team.  Picked him up for basically a dollar, and he's only had like one dud game all season.

Hah, yea. Good pick up. Connor really poked a hole in Bell's whole point, which is hilarious. Supposedly, Bell is sitting out for the greater good of RBs so that they can get the money they (specifically he) deserves. Obviously, it's a passing league, so RBs are not going to get QB or WR money. Bell wanted to try to prove how important he was to change that and bring up the average of RB contracts. What happens? The Steelers show the league that guess what? If you have a good o-line and a good passing game, you can address RB pretty easily. Connor was a 3rd round pick, in his second year, and I think he makes like $750,000 against the cap. Bell was scheduled to make over $855K PER GAME this year. Yikes.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Showdown South of the Border
« Reply #1976 on: November 14, 2018, 03:23:56 PM »

It was cool to see Eli get his 36th 4th qtr comeback win last night. 

It's gonna be so gross when voters stick their heads up their asses and vote him into the Hall of Fame.

I see what you mean.  Booger was talking about that Monday night.  Even though Eli has 2 rings, he's really not a HOF player overall.  There have been much better players that made it in without winning a championship.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: November 14, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »

It's gonna be so gross when voters stick their heads up their asses and vote him into the Hall of Fame.

I see what you mean.  Booger was talking about that Monday night.  Even though Eli has 2 rings, he's really not a HOF player overall.  There have been much better players that made it in without winning a championship.

He's very borderline, I see a case for him in and out.  I've always been a fan of his and as a fan, would love to see him make it, but I'm not sure really.  He's been around long enough to compile stats and has two rings, but he never really was a top QB in the league or sustained the success.  He's really ending on a bad note too so he's going to go out with all his success a really distant past.  I dont know, I'd be happy for him to get the votes, but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get them.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1978 on: November 14, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
I'd like to think I'm not biased because even though I'm a Jets fan because I'm not one who has animosity towards the Giants (anybody who beats Brady in the Super Bowl is OK with me :lol), but I don't think Eli belongs anywhere near the HoF. He mostly never really rose above average to mildly above average in the regular season (and he's had a few dreaful years) and his two Super Bowl years he had a great defense (though I know he got really hot in the playoffs for at least one of those as well). If his last name wasn't Manning and he didn't do what he did in New York then I don't think he's a serious contender anyway.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: November 14, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »
Bill Belichick "celebrates" 3 Patriots TDs and a fumble recovery. Sure, he doesn't say much. But the look of sheer joy on his face is as clear as day.

https://youtu.be/88YQb12l0w0?t=156
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #1980 on: November 14, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
Pre-Week 11 Power Rankings
1. Saints - continue to get better week after week
2. Chiefs - seeing their offense struggle in the colder weather makes me wonder how they'll do in January
3. Rams - Kupp is a big loss, and is their defense ever gonna play up to their talent level?
4. Chargers - still the best team no one is talking about
5. Steelers - Tomlin has done a great job after that rough start
6. Patriots - still have a shot at a bye thanks to that awful division, but their issues are becoming more obvious
7. Panthers - getting clowned like by the Steelers like that was probably an anomaly, but still...
8. Texans - now we find out how good this team is, now that expectations are high again
9. Vikings - if Dalvin Cook can stay healthy, which is one big if, that would be a boost
10. Bears - Trubisky looking way better than I ever thought he would

Trending up:
Redskins - are they for real?
Titans - suddenly looking legit
Colts - Andrew Luck continues to kick ass
Packers - can Rodgers miracle this team into the postseason
Cowboys - they trend down and then up more than any team

Trending down:
Eagles - this team is officially a disaster this year
Jets - how did Todd Bowles keep his job after that?
Lions - floundering after fighting their way back to .500
Jags - shameful performance this season
Ravens - John Harbaugh could be coaching to save his job

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Drew Brees - should have won it in '09, should win it this year
2. Patrick Mahomes - coming back to earth a little, but still has crazy good weapons to throw to
3. Todd Gurley - his production almost seems effortless because he's just that good
4. Philip Rivers - the most underrated QB of the 21st century
5. Ben Roethlisberger - remember when some thought L Bell was who made this offense go?

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1981 on: November 14, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
Nice job as usual. Cowherd had a segment today about how running backs (Bell) are usually over-valued. In today’s game it’s all about the QB, receivers, and O-Line.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1982 on: November 15, 2018, 08:09:42 AM »
Good stuff, Kev.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: November 15, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

Which is important, because Booger is the sole voting body of the Hall of Fame, right?  Right?

The argument doesn't work one way; Marino doesn't win anything of note, but "it's HIM, not the TEAM!  He shouldn't be penalized for the TEAM!" but that doesn't work for Eli?   I'll grant you that not every season, every down, has been "elite", but he changed the franchise for the better.   It's a totality of the evidence.  Now, I'm not saying that Eli is a lock or a shoo-in - I don't think he is - but I don't think it's a slam dunk  that he's out.  According to this: (https://www.realclearlife.com/sports/eli-mannings-case-for-the-hall-of-fame-is-a-complicated-one/)  he's on par with two, maybe three Hall of Famers (do we doubt that Roethslisberger is in?)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1984 on: November 15, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
I'll just say that although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was always thought of as one of the elite QBs in the league while he was playing.  I have never really gotten that sense of Eli other than maybe a couple of years.  He was always OK to pretty good.

If he hadn't won 2 Super Bowls, I doubt there would even be a conversation about him making the HOF.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
I'll just say that although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was always thought of as one of the elite QBs in the league while he was playing.  I have never really gotten that sense of Eli other than maybe a couple of years.  He was always OK to pretty good.

If he hadn't won 2 Super Bowls, I doubt there would even be a conversation about him making the HOF.

Totally agree, but what is the weight of those two victories and being the super bowl mvp?  I think it adds a lot personally, especially if you consider how he won those games (sure Tyree made the catch, but Eli still made the escape and throw).  But it still lands him on the border just because he really never was an elite player, just consistently solid and came up big a handful of times.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1986 on: November 15, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
I wouldn't have a problem with Eli making it in the HOF.  I think he represents the kind of demeanor every QB should have and he's a pretty damn good player too.  Off the chart stats isn't everything.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: November 15, 2018, 10:01:36 AM »

Totally agree, but what is the weight of those two victories and being the super bowl mvp?  I think it adds a lot personally, especially if you consider how he won those games (sure Tyree made the catch, but Eli still made the escape and throw).  But it still lands him on the border just because he really never was an elite player, just consistently solid and came up big a handful of times.

But... but... isn't that sort of like saying "Well, if Bruce Dickinson didn't write all those songs and sing all those songs, and allow Steve Harris to write all those songs... he'd be a journeyman singer"?    You guys are dismissing the two Super Bowl wins, but remember, they were not the favorites to even GET there in either year.   Those weren't just "two lucky games"; they were, essentially, 40 "lucky" games and at that point, it's not luck.   

And fair play; I'm not one for flashy stats; I'm still in the "wait until Mahomes wins something before we annoint him" category.   I don't think you need to throw for 500 yards and 6 TDs to be "great".   You need to figure out how to win, and sometimes that means putting your own personal stats on the back burner.   Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw Kenny "The Snake" Stabler... take them all day over Dan "Yelling in the huddle at his receivers because, I don't know, that's "leadership" I guess" Marino or Warren Moon, as much as they were fun to watch.

If I understand (i.e. remember) it correctly, Kenny Stabler has the best winning percentage of any HoF QB against OTHER HoF QBs', and that to me is a meaningful stat.  Step up, do what you need to do, and take home the dubya. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: November 15, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
I'll just say that although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was always thought of as one of the elite QBs in the league while he was playing. 

Hugh Millen is a very articulate and respected voice in the Seattle Sports Radio market, and is very big in to numbers. On more than one occasion he has stated the most baffling number he has ever seen with regards to the NFL is that Marino, throughout his NFL career, amassed 87 years rushing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1989 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »
I liked Hugh when he played for the Pats. Bad teams but he had great effort and was the only reason they won 6 games one year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1990 on: November 15, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
I'll just say that although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was always thought of as one of the elite QBs in the league while he was playing. 

Hugh Millen is a very articulate and respected voice in the Seattle Sports Radio market, and is very big in to numbers. On more than one occasion he has stated the most baffling number he has ever seen with regards to the NFL is that Marino, throughout his NFL career, amassed 87 years rushing.
That's basically 20 years (or however long he played) of quarterback sneaks, I suppose.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1991 on: November 15, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
You guys are dismissing the two Super Bowl wins, but remember, they were not the favorites to even GET there in either year.   Those weren't just "two lucky games"; they were, essentially, 40 "lucky" games and at that point, it's not luck.   

I disagree.  The number of games does NOT make it "not luck."  They were lucky to win both of those Super Bowls.  And they were also lucky to have gotten there in the first place, both times.  It usually takes better than a 10-6 team to win it.  And it usually takes better than a wildcard team to win it.  So, yeah, it took quite a bit of luck over that stretch of games (not "40"--they won a total of 28 in that 2-season span).  Not that they weren't "good" teams.  They were.  But probably not good enough to win it all either year without some things falling their way by chance as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: November 15, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
You guys are dismissing the two Super Bowl wins, but remember, they were not the favorites to even GET there in either year.   Those weren't just "two lucky games"; they were, essentially, 40 "lucky" games and at that point, it's not luck.   

I disagree.  The number of games does NOT make it "not luck."  They were lucky to win both of those Super Bowls.  And they were also lucky to have gotten there in the first place, both times.  It usually takes better than a 10-6 team to win it.  And it usually takes better than a wildcard team to win it.  So, yeah, it took quite a bit of luck over that stretch of games (not "40"--they won a total of 28 in that 2-season span).  Not that they weren't "good" teams.  They were.  But probably not good enough to win it all either year without some things falling their way by chance as well.

Exactly.  Eli.  :)

(I'm just kidding with you.)

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1993 on: November 15, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
BTW, Deion Sanders still believes in Eli.  :rollin

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1994 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
I don't understand all of the Eli talk, must be Giants thing. Dude has always been average and was lucky enough to win 2 super bowls. Now he's old. Time to move on.