3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185133 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Rams/Saints Showdown
« Reply #1820 on: October 30, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »
Yeah, but I'd much rather wake up on Sunday morning to a game, instead of the endless pregame shows that do nothing but suck.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Greatest Show on Surf
« Reply #1821 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
NFL to play 4 regular season games in London, up from 3, which they've done the past few years.

Which in my humble opinion is four too many.  Not because of "international"; I have no problem with that.  I just think at this point it's a novelty and with the time zone a gimmick.

Can someone show that they are making money by building a new fan base in England from years of doing this?  Is this actually working?  I don't know anyone who likes it, but I also don't know anyone outside the US to share their opinion.

They might be losing some money to get their brand out there to a global market or maybe there is a demand for American football.  I'd be interested to hear that myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1822 on: October 30, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
Yeah, but I'd much rather wake up on Sunday morning to a game, instead of the endless pregame shows that do nothing but suck.

I don't mind this myself, but only when it's not my team.  For one, I'd rather my team not lose a home game and two, I don't want to watch my team play in the morning.  It's just not enjoyable IMO but folks on the west coast have it way worse IMO so my bitching about this is not really that meaningful I guess.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1823 on: October 30, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

I don't mind this myself, but only when it's not my team.  For one, I'd rather my team not lose a home game and two, I don't want to watch my team play in the morning.  It's just not enjoyable IMO but folks on the west coast have it way worse IMO so my bitching about this is not really that meaningful I guess.

What's wrong with watching your team in the morning?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: October 30, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
It's not nearly as enjoyable.  I'm not interested in my normal football finger foods.  I'm not generally as awake and into it.  It's not enjoyable to watch with friends, as they are also not ready to want to hang out and have a beer in the AM.  It's fine if I am laying in bed looking for something to watch, but if it's my team, I want to be invested in it.  Make a couple hours be enjoyable, maybe with food or a drink or friends. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1825 on: October 30, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
I agree with Cram; though I will say this:  I loved it when I lived in LA and the Monday night games would come on right at dinner time.    I'd either go out with friends and watch or watch while I cooked dinner and chilled.   Plus, in bed by 10. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1826 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »
NFL to play 4 regular season games in London, up from 3, which they've done the past few years.

Which in my humble opinion is four too many.  Not because of "international"; I have no problem with that.  I just think at this point it's a novelty and with the time zone a gimmick.

Can someone show that they are making money by building a new fan base in England from years of doing this?  Is this actually working?  I don't know anyone who likes it, but I also don't know anyone outside the US to share their opinion.
It's working. For one thing they sell out just about every game over there, despite having shitty games more often than not. Also, if you watch one of the games the crowd is usually loud and rowdy. I was surprised at how loud they were last weekend. They're really into it. Also, and this is pretty telling, you see jerseys from every team over there. Even the awful ones. I bet there were some Buffalo jerseys in the stands last weekend. That tells me they're cultivating football fans, rather than just people who like to go to the games.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: October 30, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »

It's working. For one thing they sell out just about every game over there, despite having shitty games more often than not. Also, if you watch one of the games the crowd is usually loud and rowdy. I was surprised at how loud they were last weekend. They're really into it. Also, and this is pretty telling, you see jerseys from every team over there. Even the awful ones. I bet there were some Buffalo jerseys in the stands last weekend. That tells me they're cultivating football fans, rather than just people who like to go to the games.

I haven't watched an overseas game since the Giants played one a year or two ago (I forget) but I did notice the fans with other team's jersey's.  I guess if it's working, it's hard to argue against, but doesn't mean I like it personally.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1828 on: October 30, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »
It's only a matter of time until London gets a franchise. I personally like the Sunday morning games. When the Jets played a couple years ago I was ready to roll at 9am with a breakfast sandwich and a nice coffee beer :hat

I agree with Cram; though I will say this:  I loved it when I lived in LA and the Monday night games would come on right at dinner time.    I'd either go out with friends and watch or watch while I cooked dinner and chilled.   Plus, in bed by 10. 

You could try rooting for the Jets, I'm on the east coast and still ready for bed by 10 when my team has a primetime game :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1829 on: October 30, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »

Another reason why west coast >>> east coast.  Games on Sunday start at 10:00 a.m., and the SNF game is usually done by 8:30 p.m.

It's only a matter of time until London gets a franchise.

That would never work as a practical matter.  The travel would be ridiculous -- a six and a half hour flight to the closest possible opponent.  As it is, the teams that play in London get their bye weeks after the overseas trip.  What happens when the London team has to play a game in Los Angeles on Sunday and then has a home game on Thursday?  No sane player would sign as a free agent.

Might as well put one in Hawaii and one in Alaska.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: October 30, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
That would never work as a practical matter.

Money in owners' pockets > Practicality
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1831 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
That would never work as a practical matter.  The travel would be ridiculous -- a six and a half hour flight to the closest possible opponent.  As it is, the teams that play in London get their bye weeks after the overseas trip.  What happens when the London team has to play a game in Los Angeles on Sunday and then has a home game on Thursday?  No sane player would sign as a free agent.

Might as well put one in Hawaii and one in Alaska.
That's an interesting consideration, but I think it could be done. The league could schedule it so they alternate 2 home/2 away. The new owner of the London Wankers can work out a deal with a Midwest university and hotel group so that they base out of StL or something for their 2 week US stint. Similar thing with teams playing in the UK. Byes can be worked out, as well as TNF and MNF games to help transition. The reality is that LA-NY is about the same as NY-LON, so it's not impossible.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: October 30, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »
It's not impossible, it makes logistics more challenging, but I feel at the end of the day, what players would really want to deal with that?  Would there be an incentive for a free agent to sign with a team in London? 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1833 on: October 30, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
It's not impossible, it makes logistics more challenging, but I feel at the end of the day, what players would really want to deal with that?  Would there be an incentive for a free agent to sign with a team in London?
You mean aside from the NFL average salary of $2.1 million per year? Moreover, there are worse places to live six months a year. Tampa? Buffalo? I'd take London.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: October 30, 2018, 06:31:49 PM »
You mean aside from the NFL average salary of $2.1 million per year? Moreover, there are worse places to live six months a year. Tampa? Buffalo? I'd take London.

And deal with the travel and higher cost of living / different lifestyle vs Tampa/Buffalo?  I'm not sure all of the NFL players would take the same pay for the hassle.  It's similar to how in college ball any team that schedules to play at Hawaii gets an extra home game as an incentive to deal with the travel and costs.  I'd think traveling from England to the US even on a once a month basis would wear on players and not make them want to play there without maybe some extra money or a reason.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe some players wouldn't mind the frequent time zone changes as much as I think.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1835 on: October 30, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »
Demaryius Thomas, thank you for the OT catch against the Steelers (a moment that made me run around the bar I was in like a madman!), as well as your mostly stellar play from 2012-2015.  But I am happy that your big contract and now-iffy hands are someone else's problem now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #1836 on: October 30, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
Pre-Week 9 Power Rankings
1. Rams - defense has yet to peak and they just added a stud pass rusher
2. Chiefs - Tyreek Hill groin injury could slow the offense down
3. Saints - remember when people thought this couldn't win on the road?
4. Patriots - hard to excited about beating the Bills, but 6-2 puts them in line to get the 1 seed again
5. Chargers - still the best team no one is talking about
6. Panthers - quietly humming along and looking very impressive
7. Steelers - this team has the 3 seed written all over them
8. Redskins - it's hard not to be skeptical that they will keep this up, but 5-2 is 5-2
9. Texans - five wins in a row cannot be ignored
10. Seahawks - those who predicted their demise forgot how great Russell Wilson is

Trending up:
Colts - Andrew Luck is looking pretty great again
Falcons - fought back to 3-4, but six of their last nine are on the road
Bengals - stopped the bleeding
Cardinals - they need more games against the 49ers
Bears - still not sure to make of this team, but they did what they were supposed to and beat up on the Jets

Trending down:
Jags - should be in line to draft a QB early next spring
Raiders - Jon Gruden LOL
Browns - Hue Jackson firing was long overdue
Ravens - they went from a real contender to mediocre fast
Dolphins - they are what we thought they were

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Patrick Mahomes - I have a sneaking suspicion that Tyreek Hill is the MVP of that offense, which we might find out
2. Todd Gurley - incredible player and selfless
3. Drew Brees - he doesn't have to be money for them to win, but will be when they do him
5. Philip Rivers - can he ever get the playoff monkey off his back?
5. Tyreek Hill - he scares the living daylights out of every single defense

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: October 30, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
Hard to believe about the Jags but boy they are imploding.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1838 on: October 31, 2018, 03:21:11 PM »

And deal with the travel and higher cost of living / different lifestyle vs Tampa/Buffalo?  I'm not sure all of the NFL players would take the same pay for the hassle.  It's similar to how in college ball any team that schedules to play at Hawaii gets an extra home game as an incentive to deal with the travel and costs.  I'd think traveling from England to the US even on a once a month basis would wear on players and not make them want to play there without maybe some extra money or a reason.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe some players wouldn't mind the frequent time zone changes as much as I think.

It would take a LOT of extra money to get most players to sign in London over just about any other NFL team.  The shit show that would result when top draft picks announce that they will refuse to sign with London would be ridiculous.

Let's use the Seahawks (the current most remote NFL team) as an example.  They play three of their road games every year against teams that are an average of 919 miles away.  They will never play a road game that is more than 2,735 miles away (every eighth year when they have to travel to Miami), and most of their road games will be much closer than that.

By contrast, a team from London would NEVER play a road game any CLOSER than 3,275 miles away, which is over 500 miles more than any other team's FARTHEST road trip, and a London team could play road games that are nearly 5,500 miles away (about double any other team's longest road trip).  I get that money is money, but if this made any sense at all, it probably would have already happened.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1839 on: October 31, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »
Just to chime in and say that there is a massive, massive market for the NFL in England right now. The last game at Wembley Stadium on Saturday broke the attendance record for that iconic stadium, and was of such importance that they even (stupidly) let it go ahead despite Manchester City playing Tottenham ('soccer', and a monumental fixture) the following day, on a pitch that had been completely torn up and therefore all but unplayable. Viewing figures on Sky TV for the NFL are starting to overtake cricket and even some 'soccer' matches.

If there is anything Britain still knows how to do it is turn a profit from sport. The English Premier League ('soccer' again) is one of our most successful business enterprises, it eclipses the other 'big 3' leagues of Spain, Italy and France. In sport, money is what matters, and if London is seen as a place to turn a profit (and it is) then a team will come. Players will sign contracts. What else are they going to do, return to their engineering careers? Go back to playing cello for the New York Philharmonic? Time zones are irrelevant. Look what is happening with Spain's 'La Liga' now, teams are going to be playing 1 game a year in the US because of money. The NFL needs to look beyond the US if it's to have a profitable future. The market has changed. The average NFL player makes 2.1 million dollars a year? Manchester City's captain makes that in a month. American football players are on peanuts compared to what they could be making if they tapped into the British and European market.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:25:25 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: October 31, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »
That's interesting to hear from the perspective on the other side of the pond.  I figure they have to be doing well to expand the games over there.  However, I don't think "time zones are irrelevant".  West coast teams historically don't do well playing on the east coast at 1pm EST.  It's tough for the body to adjust and then play such a brutal sport.  That's a 3 hour difference, London is 5 hours from NYC.  They could schedule around this to make it easier, but it would definitely be relevant and maybe have an impact on how teams perform when playing in London and when London would play in the US.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1841 on: October 31, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
  West coast teams historically don't do well playing on the east coast at 1pm EST. 

I believe this will be addressed in the next CBA.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: November 01, 2018, 06:33:26 AM »
Just to chime in and say that there is a massive, massive market for the NFL in England right now. The last game at Wembley Stadium on Saturday broke the attendance record for that iconic stadium, and was of such importance that they even (stupidly) let it go ahead despite Manchester City playing Tottenham ('soccer', and a monumental fixture) the following day, on a pitch that had been completely torn up and therefore all but unplayable. Viewing figures on Sky TV for the NFL are starting to overtake cricket and even some 'soccer' matches.

If there is anything Britain still knows how to do it is turn a profit from sport. The English Premier League ('soccer' again) is one of our most successful business enterprises, it eclipses the other 'big 3' leagues of Spain, Italy and France. In sport, money is what matters, and if London is seen as a place to turn a profit (and it is) then a team will come. Players will sign contracts. What else are they going to do, return to their engineering careers? Go back to playing cello for the New York Philharmonic? Time zones are irrelevant. Look what is happening with Spain's 'La Liga' now, teams are going to be playing 1 game a year in the US because of money. The NFL needs to look beyond the US if it's to have a profitable future. The market has changed. The average NFL player makes 2.1 million dollars a year? Manchester City's captain makes that in a month. American football players are on peanuts compared to what they could be making if they tapped into the British and European market.

Enough to support a division of teams (four at least)?   That's how you do it.  Have a division, or even a league (four divisions) where the teams "interplay", with occasional trips to the North American continent, as opposed to having one disadvantaged team that has to do all the travel.   Travel itself isn't bad; the Seahawks are a successful organization.  But it has to be more balanced; having a set of teams in the UK/EU is a way of doing that.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:39 AM »
In an alternate universe.... Le'Veon Bell looks at the schedule and say... it's Baltimore week. Screw this I'm coming back and whipping some ass!

Different times. Different priorities.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1844 on: November 01, 2018, 07:11:25 AM »
In an alternate universe.... Le'Veon Bell looks at the schedule and say... it's Baltimore week. Screw this I'm coming back and whipping some ass!

I would say that is someone making a decision with his head instead of his heart.  Besides, after the way some of the Steelers called him out, I wouldn't be in a rush to join those guys again.

Honestly, once he reports here in a few weeks (which I believe he needs to, to get credit for this as a full season, making him an unrestricted free agent next year), I won't be surprised if he decides he has an injury that prevents him from playing. "Oops, my hamstring is sore, I can't (won't) play."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: November 01, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »

Enough to support a division of teams (four at least)?   That's how you do it.  Have a division, or even a league (four divisions) where the teams "interplay", with occasional trips to the North American continent, as opposed to having one disadvantaged team that has to do all the travel.   Travel itself isn't bad; the Seahawks are a successful organization.  But it has to be more balanced; having a set of teams in the UK/EU is a way of doing that.

I could see this being more of a possibility.  Having a division over seas would make scheduling much better and allow for some regional rivalries to form.  It would bloat the league a bit though to add 4 teams, that's the problem with that although if the euro interest is high, it would lead to the local athletes wanting to play american football instead of say soccer.  I could see it though one day in the future, but I'm not confident it would actually happen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1846 on: November 01, 2018, 07:57:13 AM »
Here is an interesting tidbit I saw online...

Take the 4 obvious Hall of Fame quarterbacks of recent years and look at how often they have had games where they threw more interceptions than touchdown passes:

Peyton Manning -- 47 out of 265 -- 17.7% (13 of his were in his first season where he had 7 and then his last season where he had 6)
Tom Brady -- 27 out of 259 -- 10.4% (10 of his 27 were in his first three seasons)
Drew Brees -- 47 out of 255 -- 18.4% (four seasons where he had five games with more INT's than TD passes)
Aaron Rodgers -- 8 out of 149 -- 5.4% (one of which was when he threw a pick in mop-up duty in a 2005 game; he didn't become the starter until 2008)

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1847 on: November 01, 2018, 08:00:58 AM »

I would say that is someone making a decision with his head instead of his heart.  Besides, after the way some of the Steelers called him out, I wouldn't be in a rush to join those guys again.

Honestly, once he reports here in a few weeks (which I believe he needs to, to get credit for this as a full season, making him an unrestricted free agent next year), I won't be surprised if he decides he has an injury that prevents him from playing. "Oops, my hamstring is sore, I can't (won't) play."

Honestly, the best thing for the Steelers at this point is Bell not showing up at all this season.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1848 on: November 01, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »

The most likely scenario that I've seen bandied about is a virtual home team. Each year every team from one conference plays a game over there. That allows them to sell season tickets without having a single UK team. I think it's a crappy idea, but the NFL is full of those right now.

And I still think the downsides of a UK team are a little overstated. Jet lag is a very real thing, but there are ways of coping with it, and the schedule could certainly be manipulated to mitigate it.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: November 01, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
Here is an interesting tidbit I saw online...

Take the 4 obvious Hall of Fame quarterbacks of recent years and look at how often they have had games where they threw more interceptions than touchdown passes:

Peyton Manning -- 47 out of 265 -- 17.7% (13 of his were in his first season where he had 7 and then his last season where he had 6)
Tom Brady -- 27 out of 259 -- 10.4% (10 of his 27 were in his first three seasons)
Drew Brees -- 47 out of 255 -- 18.4% (four seasons where he had five games with more INT's than TD passes)
Aaron Rodgers -- 8 out of 149 -- 5.4% (one of which was when he threw a pick in mop-up duty in a 2005 game; he didn't become the starter until 2008)

I've said for a while the Packers have done Rodgers a disservice. Though, he's tried to take too much on because of that and has the injury bug lately. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1850 on: November 01, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
If there is anything Britain still knows how to do it is turn a profit from sport. The English Premier League ('soccer' again) is one of our most successful business enterprises

That's great, but if I'm not mistaken, all of the teams in that league are located in England and Wales, which is an area of about 150,000 square miles, and the two teams in that league that are farthest from each other are located only about 323 miles from each other.  Right?  That's less than one tenth of the distance that a London NFL team would have to travel for its CLOSEST road game.

if London is seen as a place to turn a profit (and it is) then a team will come. Players will sign contracts. What else are they going to do, return to their engineering careers? Go back to playing cello for the New York Philharmonic?

Uh...no.  Unless they're borderline players, they'll sign with one of the other 30 teams in the NFL.  In other words, the marquee players aren't going to want to play in such a remote location, which means the team will be terrible.  How much interest will a perennial 2-14 team maintain?

Time zones are irrelevant. Look what is happening with Spain's 'La Liga' now, teams are going to be playing 1 game a year in the US because of money.

Time zones are not irrelevant.  That's why the NFL's collective bargaining agreement with its players provides that the teams that play the games in London get their bye week the following week.  I have no idea what "La Liga" is, but playing one game a year in a remote geographic location is a far cry from having a single team in a remote location that plays ALL of its road games no less than 3,275 miles away.

American football players are on peanuts compared to what they could be making if they tapped into the British and European market.

That's just an absurd statement.  Are you suggesting football would eclipse or rival soccer if the NFL expanded to Europe?  I assume not.  How much does the average cricket player make compared to the average NFL player?  You're aware, are you not, that there was an "American football" league in Europe for most of the 1990s and 2000s and that that league folded after an average loss of $30 million per season?

Agree.  This is the only way it would work (however, as cramx3 noted, a 36+ team league would be too bloated).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: November 01, 2018, 11:28:57 AM »
If there is anything Britain still knows how to do it is turn a profit from sport. The English Premier League ('soccer' again) is one of our most successful business enterprises

That's great, but if I'm not mistaken, all of the teams in that league are located in England and Wales, which is an area of about 150,000 square miles, and the two teams in that league that are farthest from each other are located only about 323 miles from each other.  Right?  That's less than one tenth of the distance that a London NFL team would have to travel for its CLOSEST road game.

if London is seen as a place to turn a profit (and it is) then a team will come. Players will sign contracts. What else are they going to do, return to their engineering careers? Go back to playing cello for the New York Philharmonic?

Uh...no.  Unless they're borderline players, they'll sign with one of the other 30 teams in the NFL.  In other words, the marquee players aren't going to want to play in such a remote location, which means the team will be terrible.  How much interest will a perennial 2-14 team maintain?

Time zones are irrelevant. Look what is happening with Spain's 'La Liga' now, teams are going to be playing 1 game a year in the US because of money.

Time zones are not irrelevant.  That's why the NFL's collective bargaining agreement with its players provides that the teams that play the games in London get their bye week the following week.  I have no idea what "La Liga" is, but playing one game a year in a remote geographic location is a far cry from having a single team in a remote location that plays ALL of its road games no less than 3,275 miles away.

American football players are on peanuts compared to what they could be making if they tapped into the British and European market.

That's just an absurd statement.  Are you suggesting football would eclipse or rival soccer if the NFL expanded to Europe?  I assume not.  How much does the average cricket player make compared to the average NFL player?  You're aware, are you not, that there was an "American football" league in Europe for most of the 1990s and 2000s and that that league folded after an average loss of $30 million per season?

Agree.  This is the only way it would work (however, as cramx3 noted, a 36+ team league would be too bloated).

I don't vehemently disagree with much of your post - though it's mostly just one man's opinion - except for this:  "the marquee players aren't going to want to play in such a remote location, which means the team will be terrible."   Never discount the role of ego in the mind of an American athlete.  I think if you have a player, whose agent convinces him that in LONDON - a city larger than either New York or Los Angeles, bellweathers for American athletes looking for exposure - he will be the BMOC, you WILL get a star to bite.   

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1852 on: November 01, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
I really can't see a team over there full-time for the same reasons already posted. But... I could see a Super Bowl in London at some point.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1853 on: November 01, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
I don't vehemently disagree with much of your post - though it's mostly just one man's opinion - except for this:  "the marquee players aren't going to want to play in such a remote location, which means the team will be terrible."   Never discount the role of ego in the mind of an American athlete.  I think if you have a player, whose agent convinces him that in LONDON - a city larger than either New York or Los Angeles, bellweathers for American athletes looking for exposure - he will be the BMOC, you WILL get a star to bite.

A fair point, but I do think a single, geographically remote city will, in general, have a tough time attracting marquee players for that reason.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1854 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
Basement Bowl tonight.  Think I'll pass... :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White