3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185102 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #1785 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
Pre-Week 8 Power Rankings
1. Rams - getting home field will guarantee that offense not having to endure bad weather playoff games
2. Chiefs - the most impressive all-around offense since the '99 Rams
3. Saints - huge road win over a good Ravens squad
4. Patriots - special teams made the difference in that one
5. Chargers - winning that type of game was odd, since they usually seem to lose those types of games
6. Ravens - lost a game in a way no one would have expected
7. Steelers - offense is humming, but will the defense be better after the bye week
8. Panthers - impressive 4th quarter comeback
9. Vikings - finally looking like the team most of us expected
10. Redskins - the best team no one is talking about

Trending up:
Texans - four straight wins
Lions - looking formidable after a rough start
Falcons - finally getting it together, but will it be too little too late?
Packers - time will tell if McCarthy can coach this team up at all
Bucs - finally stopped the bleeding

Trending down:
Jags - officially in free-fall
Raiders - traded Cooper and appear in the tank
Bears - have gone from looking like a possible contender to a team destined for .500
Eagles - 4th quarter collapse was shocking considering how good they looked for 3 quarters
Browns - remember when some (foolishly) thought they could win their division?

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Patrick Mahomes - the runaway winner at this point
2. Aaron Rodgers - will need some help from his teammates to make the playoffs in an NFC which is finally looking strong
3. Todd Gurley - putting together an historic season
4. Drew Brees - money no matter where he plays
5. Philip Rivers - continues to play extremely well and make use of all of his weapons

What a perfect spot to land for him to thrive.  I think waiting a year to start and learning the system helped as well.  He's killing it in KC.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Greatest Show on Surf
« Reply #1786 on: October 24, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
I'm definitely on the Mahomes bandwagon. Like Kev, I've seen things that make me think he's the real deal. I wouldn't put him in MVP consideration, though, simply because it's not all him. Hunt and Hill are huge weapons, and Kelce and Watkins certainly help as well. You swap PM and his backup and they certainly won't be as good, but they won't suck. You take out Rodgers and what do you have in GB? Same with Rivers and Brees.

And this argument comes up every year with Kev's lists. Not a criticism of the way he does things at all. Everybody has their own ideas about MVPs. It's simply part of the conversation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1787 on: October 24, 2018, 03:08:39 PM »
MVP considerations really shouldn't happen until the 4th qtr of the season.  I'm not sold on Mahomes until he runs the table and proves that he can do what he's doing throughout the remainder of the season and the playoffs.  A lot can happen in the 2nd half of the season.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1788 on: October 24, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »
MVP considerations really shouldn't happen until the 4th qtr of the season.  I'm not sold on Mahomes until he runs the table and proves that he can do what he's doing throughout the remainder of the season and the playoffs.  A lot can happen in the 2nd half of the season.

True, and if he falters, he will drop.  But for now, I can't put anyone above, or even close to, him.

I'm definitely on the Mahomes bandwagon. Like Kev, I've seen things that make me think he's the real deal. I wouldn't put him in MVP consideration, though, simply because it's not all him. Hunt and Hill are huge weapons, and Kelce and Watkins certainly help as well. You swap PM and his backup and they certainly won't be as good, but they won't suck. You take out Rodgers and what do you have in GB? Same with Rivers and Brees.

And this argument comes up every year with Kev's lists. Not a criticism of the way he does things at all. Everybody has their own ideas about MVPs. It's simply part of the conversation.

True, other QB's are arguably doing a little less with a lot less (to varying degrees), and he certainly benefits by having an offensive wiz as a head coach.  As I have said, my power rankings and MVP lists aren't meant to be any sort of definitive thing, but a way to generate chatter. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1789 on: October 25, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »

Whether or not I'm on the bandwagon or not is immaterial (for the record, I'm not; he needs to go around the league at least twice before we anoint him) but the point about it "not being all him" is I think relevant, and I would expand that to Reid.    If "fast starts" was a thing, Andy Reid would be in the NFL Hall of Fame.  If "flame outs in the last half of the season/first round of the playoffs" was a thing, Andy Reid would also be in the NFL Hall of Fame.  I'm not at all suggesting that a rookie cannot win the MVP - that's ludicrous - but I do think that as you pack on the factors here - rookie, once through the league, Andy Reid, his weapons - it's kind of premature. 

Hell, I've been VERY critical of him in the past (and still am) but I'm more likely to give this - at this point - to Philip Rivers than Patrick Mahomes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: October 28, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »
I thought that the Jaguars would slap the Eagles today considering that they should have the London routine down pat....but it turns out that a few players got in trouble last night. Given that, and the recent on field struggles of the team, I'm flipping my pick for the Eagles to win and hit the bye 4-4

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1791 on: October 28, 2018, 05:26:30 AM »
That team won it's Superbowl beating the Pats in week 2.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1792 on: October 28, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
Man, Tyreek Hill is just plain scary.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: October 28, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
It won't show up via the Colts record....but Andrew Luck is back to playing at an elite level.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1794 on: October 28, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
It won't show up via the Colts record....but Andrew Luck is back to playing at an elite level.

It's too bad that franchise hurt his career in many ways.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1795 on: October 28, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
Lol at that douche on the Packers. What a choke job.

Oh my goodness, Gurley probably cost me a fantasy win by passing up that TD. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:46:00 PM by Dream Team »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1796 on: October 28, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
Gurley is not only an incredible player, but a really smart one.  He's on my big money team and I wasn't even annoyed by that play at the end, which was the smart football play. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1797 on: October 28, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
The end of the AZ/SF game got me thinking about the rules. Seven seconds left, SF has one timeout and needs a FG to tie, and from their position it would be a 63 yarder. The plan is to throw a quick slant and knock 5-8 yards off of that FG. Of course it relies on the receiver going down immediately. What happens if nobody on the defense touches him down? If he takes a knee is that no longer a requirement? Is there a delay between taking the knee and the whistle, as there seems to be on most kickoffs?

Sadly, I didn't actually get to see how it plays out because the snap sailed 20 yards behind Beathard.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1798 on: October 28, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
I think the refs will almost always blow it dead if the player goes to a knee and gives himself up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: October 28, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
But SHOULD they blow it?   I know a coach cannot call a time out while the ball is live; I don't know if that extends to a player.  I think the only way the refs blow the whistle when the player gives themselves up is when they slide feet first.  I think if the player just goes down, they don't blow the whistle.

By the way, picks... I suck.   I gambled on Jacksonville, but I never heard about the players in trouble, and I gambled on the Giants and took it in the shorts on that one.  MF-er. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1800 on: October 28, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »
I think "taking a knee" only works for the QB.   And I believe it is written that way...both for situations where you take a knee at the end of of a game, and the "QB slide", which IIRC is the only exception to the "you have to be touched to be down" rule.   When a QB slides, he's down whether he's touched or not.

EDIT - Which BTW, I think is dumb.   I get that everyone wants to protect the QB....but QB intimidation has been a major factor in the game from its inception and I feel like that angle is being removed entirely.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1801 on: October 28, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
According to the rule book he can give himself up be he has to slide feet first. Taking a knee only applies to a quarterback behind the LoS. If Rosen hits the receiver in stride he can easily slide. If the receiver has to come back or something I'm not sure how you pull of that slide thing. Thinking about quarterbacks, I don't think a head first slide makes you down. My hunch is that the refs recognize the spirit of the whole thing and whistle you down, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a second or two, which AZ didn't have.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: October 28, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »
It's the same as a clinching INT.  A smart defensive player intentionally falls to the ground to end the play.  Of course, they don't care if the clock keeps running, but it stops with the change of possession.

An offensive receiver catches the ball, falls to the ground, and instantly calls time out.  Or....a QB or coach can tell an official ahead of time, and the officials will call the timeout.  All of this done without going OB or being touched.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: October 29, 2018, 05:29:55 AM »
Echoing the sentiments regarding Gurley playing situational football versus getting one more touchdown! Good for him. And I'm sure no one who has him in fantasy football is upset about one TD... dude has been a stud all season.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1804 on: October 29, 2018, 06:41:42 AM »
It's the same as a clinching INT.  A smart defensive player intentionally falls to the ground to end the play.  Of course, they don't care if the clock keeps running, but it stops with the change of possession.

An offensive receiver catches the ball, falls to the ground, and instantly calls time out.  Or....a QB or coach can tell an official ahead of time, and the officials will call the timeout.  All of this done without going OB or being touched.

Yeah, but it's not that easy.  As said above, it's not up for debate that a coach CANNOT call a time out when there is a live ball.  So if the coach tells the official ahead of time, it doesn't answer the question here, because the official is NOT going to call that time out until the play is dead.  That's not to say that it will assume the ball dead at the earliest possible opportunity.  In your first sentence of the second paragraph, if the receiver is not touched, I don't think he will get that timeout (that's the scenario that el Barto was positing to start with, I believe). 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: October 29, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
Section 2, Article 1 (d)  https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/10_Rule7_BallInPlay_DeadBall_Scrimm.pdf

So, rather than falling, if a runner or receiver slides.....

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1806 on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:13 AM »
But SHOULD they blow it?   I know a coach cannot call a time out while the ball is live; I don't know if that extends to a player.  I think the only way the refs blow the whistle when the player gives themselves up is when they slide feet first.  I think if the player just goes down, they don't blow the whistle.

Yes.  Any player in possession of the ball -- QB or not, and regardless of whether the player is behind or beyond the LoS -- can end the play by falling to the ground or kneeling or sliding feet first.

Rule 7, section 2, article 1:  "An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:  . . . (d) when a runner declares himself down by:  (1) falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance [or] (2) sliding feet-first on the ground.  When a runner slides feet-first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or feet."  https://operations.nfl.com/media/3277/2018-nfl-rulebook_final-version.pdf
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1807 on: October 29, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »

Yes.  Any player in possession of the ball -- QB or not, and regardless of whether the player is behind or beyond the LoS -- can end the play by falling to the ground or kneeling or sliding feet first.

Rule 7, section 2, article 1:  "An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:  . . . (d) when a runner declares himself down by:  (1) falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance [or] (2) sliding feet-first on the ground.  When a runner slides feet-first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or feet."  https://operations.nfl.com/media/3277/2018-nfl-rulebook_final-version.pdf
That must be a new revision for 2018. The rulebook Dragon Attack and I both found worded it very differently.

Section 2, article 1:
(c) when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line
of scrimmage; or
(d) when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant
the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet; or

E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1808 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
That must be a new revision for 2018. The rulebook Dragon Attack and I both found worded it very differently.

I don't know how new the current version of the rule is, but the rule book for which DragonAttack posted a link is from 2011 -- quite outdated.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1809 on: October 29, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »

I don't know how new the current version of the rule is, but the rule book for which DragonAttack posted a link is from 2011 -- quite outdated.
It was 2018. I used the same one DA used, but I never saw a date on it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »
NFL to play 4 regular season games in London, up from 3, which they've done the past few years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Rams/Saints Showdown
« Reply #1811 on: October 30, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Wow, as if things couldn't be worse for the Giants.  The heat to bench Eli is super hot in favor of just seeing what this rookie has and this happens  :lol

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/giants-backup-qb-kyle-lauletta-arrested-traffic-incident-new-jersey-171406820.html

I mean, nothing serious, just absolutely ridiculous.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1812 on: October 30, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »
The Giants problems are not Eli's fault.  The O-line is horrible and has been for quite some time.  Put Patrick Mahomes in there and he wouldn't fair much better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1813 on: October 30, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
They aren't all his fault for sure with that oline, but he is old and it shows even more behind the line.  Mahomes would do better IMO, but he would still struggle.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1814 on: October 30, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
Wow, as if things couldn't be worse for the Giants.  The heat to bench Eli is super hot in favor of just seeing what this rookie has and this happens  :lol

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/giants-backup-qb-kyle-lauletta-arrested-traffic-incident-new-jersey-171406820.html

Aren't these the same people that screamed bloody murder when they benched him to try out Webb?  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1815 on: October 30, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
It's never one thing.  Eli's recognition of the field is not what it was.  His O-Line cannot protect him well at all and play calling has been poor and not getting the ball out of his hands quick enough.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: October 30, 2018, 12:02:08 PM »

Aren't these the same people that screamed bloody murder when they benched him to try out Webb?  :lol

oh definitely.  I felt I was the only Giants fan who was cool with the benching.  However, the real criticism wasn't for Webb it was because Mcagoof ended up starting Geno Smith which I think was the ultimate goof to get himself fired.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1817 on: October 30, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
The Broncos problems are not [all] Keenum's fault.  The O-line is horrible and has been for quite some time.  Put Patrick Mahomes in there and he wouldn't fair much better.

This too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: October 30, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »
NFL to play 4 regular season games in London, up from 3, which they've done the past few years.

Which in my humble opinion is four too many.  Not because of "international"; I have no problem with that.  I just think at this point it's a novelty and with the time zone a gimmick.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: October 30, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »

Which in my humble opinion is four too many.  Not because of "international"; I have no problem with that.  I just think at this point it's a novelty and with the time zone a gimmick.

Can someone show that they are making money by building a new fan base in England from years of doing this?  Is this actually working?  I don't know anyone who likes it, but I also don't know anyone outside the US to share their opinion.