3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188328 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Greatest Show on Surf
« Reply #1750 on: October 21, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
So I'm watching the Saints and I got to thinking. If Drew Brees is so great, and Sean Payton is such a great coach, why have they only averaged a 9-7 record together (not including the year Payton was suspended)? They've only won their division 4 times! Those 11 seasons includes 5 losing seasons, and only making the playoffs in 6 of them, making the NFC Championship game only twice??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1751 on: October 21, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »
So I'm watching the Saints and I got to thinking. If Drew Brees is so great, and Sean Payton is such a great coach, why have they only averaged a 9-7 record together (not including the year Payton was suspended)? They've only won their division 4 times! Those 11 seasons includes 5 losing seasons, and only making the playoffs in 6 of them, making the NFC Championship game only twice??

a) they play in a real division (not the Charmin soft AFC East)
b) their defense has stunk more often than not
c) Payton is what I would call a good head coach (not great)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1752 on: October 21, 2018, 05:12:49 PM »
D)  Balance on both sides of the ball wins championships and they haven't had that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1753 on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:12 PM »
Down 24-17, the Ravens score a TD at the end...and Justin Tucker missed the extra point, the first missed XP of his career. :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Looking at the replay, it almost looks like the wind kicked in at just the wrong time and jerked it wide.  It was dead straight about halfway there.  Crazy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1754 on: October 21, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
E) Only Kev could turn a comment about the Saints into shot at the Patriots. :lol

b) their defense has stunk more often than not
c) Payton is what I would call a good head coach (not great)

So, how good is he?

Personally, I think Brees is excellent, But I personally consider Payton vastly overrated, and frankly I'm shocked he still has a job. Brees' career has been wasted under Payton. He should've won a LOT more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: October 21, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
Kev, I missed that. I need to see the highlights.   Damn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1756 on: October 21, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »

Personally, I think Brees is excellent, But I personally consider Payton vastly overrated, and frankly I'm shocked he still has a job. Brees' career has been wasted under Payton. He should've won a LOT more.

Agreed.  It goes without saying that Brees and Payton have both benefited by working with the other, but while Payton will merely go down as a good head coach, Brees will go down as an all-time great QB.

For my money, since I have been watching football since around 1984/1985, the three best QB's I have seen (taking greatness and longevity into account) are without a doubt (in no specific order):

Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady

The next tier would be:

Steve Young
John Elway
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Dan Marino
Brett Favre

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1757 on: October 21, 2018, 05:29:52 PM »
For my money, since I have been watching football since around 1984/1985, the three best QB's I have seen (taking greatness and longevity into account) are without a doubt (in no specific order):

Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady

Oh man, that hurt just reading that. Did you have to have someone else type that? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
Holy shit Dallas!!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1759 on: October 21, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
Holy shit Dallas!!!!!

:tup :tup

Oh man, that hurt just reading that. Did you have to have someone else type that? :lol

:lol  I might not like the Patriots, and I might take some good natured shots, but I would never deny the greatness of both Brady and Belichick.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: October 21, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »
I peed my pants a little reading that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1761 on: October 21, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
Jason Garrett's a pussy. Dallas should have been playing for a touchdown on that drive. FG for the tie is a fallback option, not the goal.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: October 21, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about the TD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1763 on: October 21, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
I enjoyed the shot of Jerry Jones and his cronies after the missed field goal. :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1764 on: October 21, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »
Aren't the Bengals supposed to actually COVER the Chiefs' receivers?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: October 21, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
They can try

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1766 on: October 21, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »
Too many weapons, Reid is a great play caller, and Mahomes is the real deal.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1767 on: October 21, 2018, 09:00:22 PM »
Heaven forbid he could throw one to Watkins so I could win in fantasy.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1768 on: October 21, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
Against the worst D in the league, Dalton is 8 of 15 for 31 yds when targeting receivers not named AJ Green.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1769 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »
Jason Garrett's a pussy. Dallas should have been playing for a touchdown on that drive. FG for the tie is a fallback option, not the goal.

Well, that's a given but I thought you said that offensive play calling was on the OC, not the HC.  :lol

I enjoyed the shot of Jerry Jones and his cronies after the missed field goal. :tup :tup

I wonder what their faces looked like when they found out it was a bad call by the ref to set them back 5 yards.  The FG might've been good otherwise.

Too many weapons, Reid is a great play caller, and Mahomes is the real deal.

That's what they said about Dak Prescott.  Give him a couple years and we'll see how he adjusts to having a completely different team around him.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: October 22, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
Lol no.....Dak had some hype his rookie but no one with basic football knowledge had him anywhere near the stratosphere that Mahomes currently and justifiably resides.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1771 on: October 22, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »

Well, that's a given but I thought you said that offensive play calling was on the OC, not the HC.  :lol
Point well taken. But there is a difference. I have to think JG could at least say "hey, we need to be really aggressive here" or something like that. His job for 3 hours a week is to manage games. Kev suggested it was to call plays. The criticism I made involves both.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1772 on: October 22, 2018, 04:11:44 PM »
Lol no.....Dak had some hype his rookie but no one with basic football knowledge had him anywhere near the stratosphere that Mahomes currently and justifiably resides.

I disagree about Dak.  It was a lot more than just hype and it's too early to tell about Mahomes.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1773 on: October 22, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
While there are definitely plenty of examples of quarterbacks who made big splashes and then regressed big time once the league figured them - *cough* Colin Kaepernick *cough* - I don't think Mahomes will be one of them.  I have noticed he is doing a lot of the little things that you expect out of a great QB eventually, and he is doing them already.  While very different quarterbacks, this reminds me of the Kurt Warner explosion in 1999, with a first year starter crushing the league with an offense loaded with stars and a great play caller.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: October 22, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
Also, he is in a place of good structure.   That helps as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1775 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
Agreed. Drew Brees was on Cowherd's show last week and said how his focus was always on going to a good organization, rather than "being as drafted as high as possible."  Some guys want the glory of going number 1, but what good does that do if you go to a clueless organization? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: October 22, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
Yup.  Stability breads longevity.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: October 22, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
Some guys want the glory of going number 1, but what good does that do if you go to a clueless organization? 

Bigger paycheck, more endorsement deals, higher cred with opposing players, etc.....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1778 on: October 23, 2018, 12:34:21 AM »
Some guys want the glory of going number 1, but what good does that do if you go to a clueless organization? 

Bigger paycheck, more endorsement deals, higher cred with opposing players, etc.....

Not when the Browns are drafting at the one spot...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: October 23, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Get your boy, resident Bronco fans!

[/According to court records, a man and woman told police a man came into their home uninvited after 1 a.m. Tuesday and sat down on the couch "mumbling incoherently."

The records say the man chased the intruder out, striking him in the back with a vacuum tube.
quote]

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25062867/broncos-backup-qb-chad-kelly-arrested-trespassing-case

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1780 on: October 23, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
Get your boy, resident Bronco fans!

[/According to court records, a man and woman told police a man came into their home uninvited after 1 a.m. Tuesday and sat down on the couch "mumbling incoherently."

The records say the man chased the intruder out, striking him in the back with a vacuum tube.
quote]

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25062867/broncos-backup-qb-chad-kelly-arrested-trespassing-case

That's just a weird story:  "According to court records, a man and a woman told police that a stranger came into their Englewood home after 1 a.m. The intruder sat down on the couch next to the woman, who was holding the couple's young child, and was "mumbling incoherently," according to the records."  Nice that the article includes "according to court records" twice.

"The man yelled at the intruder to get out and hit him in the back with a vacuum tube."  A vacuum tube??!  In addition to (presumably) being drunk, did he also stumble back in time to when folks had vacuum tubes lying around their houses?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #1781 on: October 23, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
Pre-Week 8 Power Rankings
1. Rams - getting home field will guarantee that offense not having to endure bad weather playoff games
2. Chiefs - the most impressive all-around offense since the '99 Rams
3. Saints - huge road win over a good Ravens squad
4. Patriots - special teams made the difference in that one
5. Chargers - winning that type of game was odd, since they usually seem to lose those types of games
6. Ravens - lost a game in a way no one would have expected
7. Steelers - offense is humming, but will the defense be better after the bye week
8. Panthers - impressive 4th quarter comeback
9. Vikings - finally looking like the team most of us expected
10. Redskins - the best team no one is talking about

Trending up:
Texans - four straight wins
Lions - looking formidable after a rough start
Falcons - finally getting it together, but will it be too little too late?
Packers - time will tell if McCarthy can coach this team up at all
Bucs - finally stopped the bleeding

Trending down:
Jags - officially in free-fall
Raiders - traded Cooper and appear in the tank
Bears - have gone from looking like a possible contender to a team destined for .500
Eagles - 4th quarter collapse was shocking considering how good they looked for 3 quarters
Browns - remember when some (foolishly) thought they could win their division?

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Patrick Mahomes - the runaway winner at this point
2. Aaron Rodgers - will need some help from his teammates to make the playoffs in an NFC which is finally looking strong
3. Todd Gurley - putting together an historic season
4. Drew Brees - money no matter where he plays
5. Philip Rivers - continues to play extremely well and make use of all of his weapons

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1782 on: October 23, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
"The man yelled at the intruder to get out and hit him in the back with a vacuum tube."  A vacuum tube??!  In addition to (presumably) being drunk, did he also stumble back in time to when folks had vacuum tubes lying around their houses?
What's funny is that I interpreted that differently. I figured it was referring to a tube from a vacuum cleaner. What's even funnier is that I have no idea which one would be a more hysterical weapon for home defense. There's something comically absurd about whipping out a thermionic tube to beat somebody with. It's about as predictable as pulling a cat out of your pocket and hurling it at him. Yet there's the sight-gag aspect for the vacuum cleaner hose. It's not going to hurt anybody but you can swing it enough to confuse the bejeezus out of him and probably scare him off. And ideally it makes a wonderful swooshing noise every time you bring it down.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1783 on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
 :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1784 on: October 24, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
What's funny is that I interpreted that differently. I figured it was referring to a tube from a vacuum cleaner. What's even funnier is that I have no idea which one would be a more hysterical weapon for home defense. There's something comically absurd about whipping out a thermionic tube to beat somebody with. It's about as predictable as pulling a cat out of your pocket and hurling it at him. Yet there's the sight-gag aspect for the vacuum cleaner hose. It's not going to hurt anybody but you can swing it enough to confuse the bejeezus out of him and probably scare him off. And ideally it makes a wonderful swooshing noise every time you bring it down.  :lol

:rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung