3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185157 times)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Shady Indeed
« Reply #1050 on: July 11, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Ray Lewis.

Prophetic much?  McCoy just hired the same attorney here in Atlanta that go Lewis off.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1051 on: July 11, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »
Ray Lewis.

Prophetic much?  McCoy just hired the same attorney here in Atlanta that go Lewis off.

Completely off topic, but I have to ask. Is there any way that you could change your avatar? I had the greatest urge to upchuck after I seen it...  :-[

I'm usually one to give the benefit of doubt when I hear/see these things come out against a celebrity of any kind. Something about this story stinks, and I wouldn't be surprised by any lengths that someone would go to to smear a celebrity. See the current situation with Chris Hardwick.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: July 11, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
Hardwick seems like a dick, but not a sexual predator.

With McCoy, there has been an awful lot of smoke around him for a few years now for there to continue to be no fire.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1053 on: July 11, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »
That's fair. To be honest, I really don't know anything about him off the field, but it just seems to be the "in thing" to accuse male celebrities of all kinds of misdeeds lately. I'm absolutely certain that a great many of the accusations are legitimate, but so many people are willing to crucify them with little, or no verifiable evidence.

The accusations could absolutely be true, but it seems like a lot of people are so quick to assume the worst. And I want to point out that I'm not pointing to anyone in the forum in particular. It's meant to be a general observation.

Sorry for taking the discussion into the P/R territory.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
Just bought my presale tix for the Rams vs. Chiefs Monday night Game in Mexico City!  Gonna be a blast!!!  Hopefully will have a good size group going.  Trying to decipher exactly where the seats are located is another story. :lol  They don't make it easy on their seating chart.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1055 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
Just bought my presale tix for the Rams vs. Chiefs Monday night Game in Mexico City!  Gonna be a blast!!!  Hopefully will have a good size group going.  Trying to decipher exactly where the seats are located is another story. :lol  They don't make it easy on their seating chart.
That whole process can be pretty confusing for us gringos. In my experience all of the rules that apply for locals purchasing tickets are reversed for foreigners, and they don't really explain that.

"There will be absolutely no will call at this event."
"So, where do I get my tickets?"
"From will call. Why do you ask?"  :lol

Be sure and eat breakfast at el Cardenal one morning. That's the best part of going to DF in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1056 on: July 12, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
That whole process can be pretty confusing for us gringos. In my experience all of the rules that apply for locals purchasing tickets are reversed for foreigners, and they don't really explain that.

Be sure and eat breakfast at el Cardenal one morning. That's the best part of going to DF in my book.

And bring a ton of Imodium.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: July 12, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »

Yeah... I'm a Mex expert :P  it's Lomitil down there!  :biggrin:  Drink bottled water and do NOT eat salads!!! :lol  I'll find some info on the Restaurant Barto!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1058 on: July 12, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »

Yeah... I'm a Mex expert :P  it's Lomitil down there!  :biggrin:  Drink bottled water and do NOT eat salads!!! :lol  I'll find some info on the Restaurant Barto!
Yeah, it's the salads that fool people. The water is actually potable for us gabachos, now. Still, I don't take chances. Even though it's only a two hour flight home I sure don't want it to turn ugly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: July 16, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »
Want to get back on track with the team a day thing. We got done 27/32. May as well finish up!

Today's team, the Pittsburgh Steelers

6 League Championships (1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008)

My Mount Rushmore would be Jack Lambert, Joe Greene, Antonio Brown & Troy Polamalu(Apologies to countless others)

Uniforms..... they're okay. Helmets are terrible. Throwbacks are terrible.

Memorable moments.... they've been involved in so many of them throughout league history. But for the sake of this, I'll call out the 2005 Divisional Round game at Indy. Whacky, crazy game.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:35:09 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Online mikeyd23

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Pittsburgh Steelers
« Reply #1060 on: July 16, 2018, 11:29:57 AM »
^ Hines Ward should be nowhere near that list.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1061 on: July 16, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »

I have to disagree with you, somewhat. It's true that he isn't the best WR that the team ever had, but he was a force. Not many WR's get credited for their blocking abilities, but he was easily the best ever at his position.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: July 16, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »

He wasn't the most talented player... but the intangibles... got under people's skin.....

then again..  I just realized that I completely forgot about Troy P...... so yeah, Troy's in Hines' out!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1063 on: July 16, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
Off the top of my head I'd say all these guys are ahead of Hines -

Big Ben
Terry Bradshaw
Jack Lambert
Joe Greene
Franco Harris
Rod Woodson
Jack Ham
Troy Polamalu
Jerome Bettis
Lynn Swan
etc...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1064 on: July 16, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
Hines Ward is usually the kind of player I like.  Work ethic, does more than even his teammates think he's capable of, the guy you absolutely want on your team, but loathe when he's on the other side...

My four:   Greene, Lambert, Blount, Bradshaw

Honorable mention:  Harris, Ham, Roethlisberger, Swann, Woodson

Troy was a great player, but not sure how he makes the list and Blount and Woodson don't.   And despite what I said, Ward doesn't elevate to that level. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1065 on: July 16, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
First Steeler game I saw was actually Super Bowl XIV because my father was watching it. Seeing Swann and Stallworth making those great catches, Bradshaw chucking those bombs, and those dynamic defensive players made me fall in love with the team. I was completely unaware of the team’s history at the time (I was 12). So of course I had to wait 26 years to see them win another  :-[.

Anyway, offensively for me it goes Ben-Brown-Harris-Stallworth-Swann-Bradshaw which is leaving out several deserving o-linemen. Defensively it’s Mean Joe-Lambert-Polamalu-Harrison-Ham-Greenwood etc etc etc so my Mount Rushmore is the first 2 of each group.

edit: whoops, forgot Blount. Good call Stadler.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1066 on: July 16, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
I'm a huge "homer" for this team despite the fact that I live in another team's territory. Making a definitive Mount Rushmore for them almost seems like an impossible task. This team is deep with great and legendary players at almost every position in the modern/SB era.

QB: Bradshaw, Ben.
HB: Rocky Bleier (The man received a Purple Heart in Viet Nam, then played his NFL career as the primary lead blocker for Franco Harris with half a foot missing), Barry Foster and Jerome Bettis.
FB: Franco Harris.
WR: Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Louis Lipps, Hines Ward and Antonio Brown.
TE: Heath Miller (not outstanding numbers, but he did everything at the position).
OL: Mike Webster, Tunch Ilken, Dermonti Dawson, Alan Fanecca and Pouncey.
DL: Joe Greene, Dwight White, Joel Steede, Casey Hampton.
LB: Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and He who shall not be named.
CB: Mel Blount and Rod Woodson.
Safety: Carnell Lake and Troy.
ST: Gary Anderson.

And that's not mentioning any of the coaches.

The most memorable game for me would be the SB against the Cardinals. Each team had some spectacular plays, and the game came right down to the end.

The most painful memory is the SB against the Cowboys in the mid 90's.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1067 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
I'm a huge "homer" for this team despite the fact that I live in another team's territory. Making a definitive Mount Rushmore for them almost seems like an impossible task. This team is deep with great and legendary players at almost every position in the modern/SB era.

HB: Rocky Bleier (The man received a Purple Heart in Viet Nam, then played his NFL career as the primary lead blocker for Franco Harris with half a foot missing), Barry Foster and Jerome Bettis.
TE: Heath Miller (not outstanding numbers, but he did everything at the position).
LB: Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and He who shall not be named.

The most memorable game for me would be the SB against the Cardinals. Each team had some spectacular plays, and the game came right down to the end.

Yes, I always backed Neil O’Donnell until he utterly CHOKED that game away. Spineless douche.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1068 on: July 16, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »

Yes, I always backed Neil O’Donnell until he utterly CHOKED that game away. Spineless douche.

For a moment, I thought about adding his name to the list. Had he not left after the SB for a big pay check in New York I think that his legacy might have been different. I remember reading that one or two of those picks were due to a WR running the wrong route, but my memory on it is pretty fuzzy.

My second most painful game memory is the AFC Championship the year before against the Chargers. Can you imagine a healthy Rod Woodson in his prime lining up against Jerry Rice? Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd rushing Steve Young? That would have been an incredible game.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1069 on: July 16, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »
Want to get back on track with the team a day thing. We got done 27/32. May as well finish up!

Today's team, the Pittsburgh Steelers

This is an almost impossible Mt. Rushmore.  My initial instinct was Bradshaw, Lambert, Harris, Greene.  That doesn't feel right because it doesn't include anyone who played in the last 35 years, but whom would I remove to add anyone more recent?  Honestly, the only more recent Steeler I'd be inclined to include would be Roethlisberger or Polamalu, but I really can't see either of them displacing any of the four I mentioned (and, frankly, there'd probably be half a dozen other older players I'd put before them).

Too many memorable games -- even beyond the Super Bowls.  Lots of battles with my Broncos.  The first two that come to mind are the AFC Championship Game that the Broncos won to advance to Super Bowl 32 and the Tim Tebow game back in whatever year that was (2010 or so).

By the way, the Steelers uniforms, including the helmets (but NOT including the bumblebee throwbacks), are AWESOME!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:59:44 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: July 16, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »

Fantastic list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1071 on: July 16, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
Hines Ward shouldn't be anywhere near this list.  Too many great players played for the Steelers for a player who was merely "very good" to make it.

My second most painful game memory is the AFC Championship the year before against the Chargers. Can you imagine a healthy Rod Woodson in his prime lining up against Jerry Rice? Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd rushing Steve Young? That would have been an incredible game.

Eh, I am not sure the result would have been that different. The 49ers were an avalanche that no one was stopping that year and it didn't matter who from the AFC was the team to get stomped.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1072 on: July 16, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
Yeah Niners were gonna win no matter what, but one of my buddies is a big Niners fan so we were hoping for that matchup regardless.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »
It's fun to think of near-miss Super Bowls. The one that always comes to mind for me is getting the Broncos and Falcons in SB 33 instead of The Broncos and Vikings.

But that works both ways. Imagine being stuck with the Jets and Bears for SB 45 instead of the Steelers and Packers. Sure, I'd be happy for those fanbases, but Sanchez vs. Cutler (or his backup)? Wow....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1074 on: July 17, 2018, 06:06:39 AM »
Packers/Patriots 3 1/2 years ago is a biggie for me.

Just think, if some dopey TE doesn't botch an onside kick in the NFCCG:

-it is very possible that Aaron Rodgers gets a 2nd ring
-Brady/Belichick suffer their 3rd Super Bowl loss then instead of getting their 4th win
-the Seahawks possibly do not fall apart as quickly as they did because of internal issues due to the play call that many players felt cost them SB49

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1075 on: July 17, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »

-Brady/Belichick suffer their 3rd Super Bowl loss then instead of getting their 4th win
-the Seahawks possibly do not fall apart as quickly as they did because of internal issues due to the play call that many players felt cost them SB49
We all miss out on a fantastic, pressure-cooker of an ending. What we got was a helluva game.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1076 on: July 17, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
It's fun to think of near-miss Super Bowls. The one that always comes to mind for me is getting the Broncos and Falcons in SB 33 instead of The Broncos and Vikings.

But that works both ways. Imagine being stuck with the Jets and Bears for SB 45 instead of the Steelers and Packers. Sure, I'd be happy for those fanbases, but Sanchez vs. Cutler (or his backup)? Wow....

In 33, the Broncos would have beaten the Vikings just as they did the Falcons.  The game was not as "close" as the final 34-19 score indicates.

Jets (Sanchez) v. Bears (Cutler) would have been a lot like SB 35 with Trent Dilfer v. Kerry Collins.  Probably the second worst Super Bowl in the last 20 years (48 was the worst, unless you're a Seahawks fan).

There was a lot more to that loss than the onside kick.  The Packers were up 16-0 at halftime and just gave that game away.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1077 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
One curious thing about Aaron Rodgers, as awesome as he is, is that he has one of the absolute worst 4th quarter comeback/game winning drive records in the game. Everyone remembers the few miracle ones he engineered, but overall his record is dismal. Maybe just random statistical noise, but all the usual suspects like Brady, Ben, Brees, Stafford are near the top of the list and Rodgers is all alone among franchise QBs at the bottom.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: July 17, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

Champions make plays.  Not what if's.

I have no excuses for the Pat's loss this year.  They didn't make the one play on defense that the Eagles did and the Eagles deserve all the credit.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: July 17, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Today's team, the New York Giants

8 League Championships (1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011)

Mount Rushmore for me - Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, Frank Gifford, Phil Simms

Loved the uniforms/helmets from the 80s/90s. Modern look is a significant downgrade. Don't get the gray pants at all, and the lack of blue on the road white tops makes no sense to me.

Memorable games for me, 2002 Wild Card vs. S.F., 2007 NFC Championship game @G.B, the two N.E. Super Bowls.  Memorable moments.... OBJ's catches, particularly that insane one from the SNF game his rookie season.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1080 on: July 17, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
Hines Ward is usually the kind of player I like.  Work ethic, does more than even his teammates think he's capable of, the guy you absolutely want on your team, but loathe when he's on the other side...

My four:   Greene, Lambert, Blount, Bradshaw

Honorable mention:  Harris, Ham, Roethlisberger, Swann, Woodson

Troy was a great player, but not sure how he makes the list and Blount and Woodson don't.   And despite what I said, Ward doesn't elevate to that level.

Funny thing about Hines, I loved watching him play and never realized he was hated or considered a dirty player until I started reading other teams’ message boards. I think the reputation is overblown, most of it stems from a few games against bitter division rivals like the Ravens and Bengals.

I know linebackers and d-backs didn’t like him because he didn’t go over the middle like a shrinking violet and alligator-arm the ball, he’d take the nastiest hits and get up smiling. Toughest receiver I ever watched.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The New York Giants
« Reply #1081 on: July 17, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
I think Eli Manning is Giants Mt Rushmore material.  He may not be a HOFer but he won two championships and he played a large part in those wins and has been a consistent good guy for the franchise for a really long time. 

Those memorable games are pretty spot on

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1082 on: July 17, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »
I think Eli Manning is Giants Mt Rushmore material.  He may not be a HOFer but he won two championships and he played a large part in those wins and has been a consistent good guy for the franchise for a really long time. 

Those memorable games are pretty spot on

I think that he's definitely going to be in the HOF. The down years have been pretty ugly, but those SB wins are going to lock it up for him. If they'd put a line in front of him he'd still be extremely dangerous.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1083 on: July 17, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »
Lawrence Taylor; Eli Manning; Michael Strahan; Frank Gifford

Honorable mentions:  Harry Carson; Fran Tarkenton; Pat Summerall; Spider Lockhart; YA Tittle; Charlie Connerly

I'm putting it out there:   Lawrence Taylor may be my vote for greatest player in the history of the NFL. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1084 on: July 17, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
I'm putting it out there:   Lawrence Taylor may be my vote for greatest player in the history of the NFL.

For his position, I doubt that very many people would argue with you.