3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185138 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Dallas Cowboys
« Reply #1015 on: July 02, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
Not sure I can do only four for the Cowboys....

If I go with one QB, one RB, one WR, and one defensive player (which is totally ridiculous because, among other things, it excludes all of the great Cowboys' offensive linemen), I think I have to go with:

Roger Staubach > Troy Aikman
Emmett Smith > Tony Dorsett
Michael Irvin > Drew Pearson and Tony Hill
Randy White > "Too Tall" Jones, Charlie Waters and Sean Lee (and many others)

Most of us here are way too young to remember, but the two super bowls against the Steelers were great games. . . .

. . .

SBXIII featured 14 hall of fame players between the two teams. The game is also the only time in NFL history to feature two QB's with two SB rings each. The final score was 35-31 in a game where both QB's were very impressive for that era.

SB 13 was the second Super Bowl I watched.  After rooting for the Broncos over the Cowboys in 12, I was pulling for the Cowboys in 13.  The game didn't feel as close as the score reflected.  Unfortunately, the game is probably most known for Jackie Smith's drop of what would have been a tying touchdown (assuming the extra point) late in the third quarter.  Instead of tying the game, the Cowboys settled for a field goal.  The Steelers then scored 14 unanswered pointsto take a 35-17 lead more than half way through the 4th quarter.  The Cowboys narrowed the gap to the final score with two touchdowns in a span of about two minutes, but they couldn't recover a second onside kick to give themselves a chance at a game winning Hail Mary pass.

Super Bowls 16 and 23 came the closest to measuring up to this game until my Broncos won Super Bowl 32.
I remember it for the bullshit interference call. Lynn Swann misses that catch and they punt. Dallas had all the momentum at that point. Handing Pittsburgh the ball inside the Dallas red zone turns the tide back and that's that.

There were two controversial calls on that drive. The other had something to do with a false start. I'd have to look it up to know for sure, but I've heard that one of the calls was made by the same ump that made the immaculate reception call a few years earlier.

Deflate gate and spy gate have nothing on how that probably made people's heads spin at the time.

From the Wikipedia article on the game:

"Two controversial penalties early in the fourth quarter paved the way for the Steelers to score 14 unanswered points.

The Steelers advanced to their own 44-yard line after a crucial 3rd down pass from Bradshaw to tight end Randy Grossman, a 13-yard pass to Swann, and a 5-yard run by Harris.  Bradshaw then attempted a pass to Swann, but the receiver collided with Cowboys defensive back Benny Barnes and fell to the ground as the ball rolled incomplete.  However, official Fred Swearingen (the referee of the Immaculate Reception game of 1972) called Barnes for pass interference.  Replays showed that it could have been incidental contact, as Swann seemed to run into Barnes.  The penalty gave Pittsburgh a first down at Dallas' 23-yard line.

Two plays later, the Steelers faced 3rd down and 4 from the Dallas 17.  Henderson sacked Bradshaw for a 12-yard loss, but the play was nullified by a delay of game penalty on Pittsburgh, bringing up 3rd down and 9 instead of a fourth down.  Replays clearly showed the whistle blew before the play's onset, plus most of the players pulled up and stopped playing after a whistle sounded, but Henderson claimed, "I didn't hear a whistle until after I had knocked Bradshaw down.  The same guy (Swearingen) made that call too.  Who is that guy?"  " Franco Harris confronted Henderson for taunting Bradshaw after the whistle, and on the next play, Bradshaw handed the ball off to Harris, who raced untouched, with help from the Umpire Art Demmas impeding Cowboys safety Charlie Waters' attempt to tackle him, up the middle for a 22-yard touchdown run.  The next day Waters was quoted as saying, "I don't know what I could do – maybe knock him [Umpire Demmas] flat and maybe he'd knock Franco flat?  Our safeties play a vital role in the run.  That official gets in the way a lot.  He screened me off."  This score increased Pittsburgh's lead to 28–17."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1016 on: July 02, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
Today's team is one that probably needs this the least, as it is far an away the most talked about team in this forum's history.....

The New England Patriots

Lots of memorable games, most significantly being Super Bowls 36 (upset over the Rams), 51 (comeback over the Falcons) and 52.  I also remember 20 as being the first real Super Bowl blowout and the real start of the NFC's long run of Super Bowl dominance.

Mt. Rushmore isn't too difficult:  Tom Brady, John Hannah, Adam Vinatieri and Mike Haynes (honorable mention to Andre Tippett, Steve Nelson, Ty Law, Teddy Bruschi, Steve Grogan, Stanley Morgan and Wes Welker).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1017 on: July 02, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »
Not sure I can do only four for the Cowboys....

If I go with one QB, one RB, one WR, and one defensive player (which is totally ridiculous because, among other things, it excludes all of the great Cowboys' offensive linemen), I think I have to go with:

Roger Staubach > Troy Aikman
Emmett Smith > Tony Dorsett
Michael Irvin > Drew Pearson and Tony Hill
Randy White > "Too Tall" Jones, Charlie Waters and Sean Lee (and many others)

Most of us here are way too young to remember, but the two super bowls against the Steelers were great games. . . .

. . .

SBXIII featured 14 hall of fame players between the two teams. The game is also the only time in NFL history to feature two QB's with two SB rings each. The final score was 35-31 in a game where both QB's were very impressive for that era.

SB 13 was the second Super Bowl I watched.  After rooting for the Broncos over the Cowboys in 12, I was pulling for the Cowboys in 13.  The game didn't feel as close as the score reflected.  Unfortunately, the game is probably most known for Jackie Smith's drop of what would have been a tying touchdown (assuming the extra point) late in the third quarter.  Instead of tying the game, the Cowboys settled for a field goal.  The Steelers then scored 14 unanswered pointsto take a 35-17 lead more than half way through the 4th quarter.  The Cowboys narrowed the gap to the final score with two touchdowns in a span of about two minutes, but they couldn't recover a second onside kick to give themselves a chance at a game winning Hail Mary pass.

Super Bowls 16 and 23 came the closest to measuring up to this game until my Broncos won Super Bowl 32.
I remember it for the bullshit interference call. Lynn Swann misses that catch and they punt. Dallas had all the momentum at that point. Handing Pittsburgh the ball inside the Dallas red zone turns the tide back and that's that.

There were two controversial calls on that drive. The other had something to do with a false start. I'd have to look it up to know for sure, but I've heard that one of the calls was made by the same ump that made the immaculate reception call a few years earlier.

Deflate gate and spy gate have nothing on how that probably made people's heads spin at the time.

From the Wikipedia article on the game:

"Two controversial penalties early in the fourth quarter paved the way for the Steelers to score 14 unanswered points.

The Steelers advanced to their own 44-yard line after a crucial 3rd down pass from Bradshaw to tight end Randy Grossman, a 13-yard pass to Swann, and a 5-yard run by Harris.  Bradshaw then attempted a pass to Swann, but the receiver collided with Cowboys defensive back Benny Barnes and fell to the ground as the ball rolled incomplete.  However, official Fred Swearingen (the referee of the Immaculate Reception game of 1972) called Barnes for pass interference.  Replays showed that it could have been incidental contact, as Swann seemed to run into Barnes.  The penalty gave Pittsburgh a first down at Dallas' 23-yard line.

Two plays later, the Steelers faced 3rd down and 4 from the Dallas 17.  Henderson sacked Bradshaw for a 12-yard loss, but the play was nullified by a delay of game penalty on Pittsburgh, bringing up 3rd down and 9 instead of a fourth down.  Replays clearly showed the whistle blew before the play's onset, plus most of the players pulled up and stopped playing after a whistle sounded, but Henderson claimed, "I didn't hear a whistle until after I had knocked Bradshaw down.  The same guy (Swearingen) made that call too.  Who is that guy?"  " Franco Harris confronted Henderson for taunting Bradshaw after the whistle, and on the next play, Bradshaw handed the ball off to Harris, who raced untouched, with help from the Umpire Art Demmas impeding Cowboys safety Charlie Waters' attempt to tackle him, up the middle for a 22-yard touchdown run.  The next day Waters was quoted as saying, "I don't know what I could do – maybe knock him [Umpire Demmas] flat and maybe he'd knock Franco flat?  Our safeties play a vital role in the run.  That official gets in the way a lot.  He screened me off."  This score increased Pittsburgh's lead to 28–17."
https://youtu.be/GmxG1NlrB-c?t=816

Could have been.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The New England Patriots
« Reply #1018 on: July 02, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
Teams complained about the position of the refs for years. The NFL didn't do anything about it until a few years ago. The Cowboys players can bitch about it all they want, but it was their fault that there was a hole there in the first place.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1019 on: July 02, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »
The helmet with the minuteman hiking the football is the coolest in the history of football.

Not even being a homer, but I totally agree that it's a very cool logo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1020 on: July 02, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
Teams complained about the position of the refs for years. The NFL didn't do anything about it until a few years ago. The Cowboys players can bitch about it all they want, but it was their fault that there was a hole there in the first place.

If I'm not mistaken, only the umpire used to line up in the middle of the action (generally, right behind the linebackers).  All of the other officials were (and still are) on the sidelines or sufficiently behind the offensive backfield (the referee) or the secondary (back judge) to avoid any interference.  The umpire has fairly recently been moved to be opposite the referee behind the backfield.  However, when the umpire was behind the linebackers, he was constantly getting in the way.  It's somewhat similar to the officials in ice hockey.  You just have to deal with them, and I assume astute offensive players would make moves specifically to use the umpire as an inadvertent blocker.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1021 on: July 02, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
The only contribution I can make to the thread today:

Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1022 on: July 02, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
:clap:    Best post I've seen in here for a long time.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1023 on: July 02, 2018, 04:50:20 PM »
The only contribution I can make to the thread today:

I've enjoyed your pain Bill.   :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1024 on: July 02, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
Still the dumbest ending of a game I’ve ever witnessed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1025 on: July 02, 2018, 06:47:55 PM »
Also, can we put David Tyree on the Pats Mt Rushmore? :P

What no Manningham as well? :lol

Nah.  The Manningham play was a great throw and catch; nothing flukey about it.  The Tyree play is the definition of a fluke.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: July 02, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »
You don't have to tell me that.  I died inside that moment.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1027 on: July 02, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »
The best part was that it happened against that dirty piece of crap Rodney Harrison.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: July 02, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
We all hate the dirty crap players until their on your team.  I admit it!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1029 on: July 02, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »
In my defense, I never liked Bill Romanowski or Aqib Talib when they were on the Broncos. Sure, I cheered when they made plays for the Broncos, but that was cheering a positive for my team, not for those a-holes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: July 02, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
It was their on field antics I bet. Talib only had 1 incident here.  It wasn't big but the hood squashed it right away.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Shady Indeed
« Reply #1032 on: July 10, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »
Guess Shady was an apt nickname

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/10/photo-surfaces-accusing-bills-rb-lesean-mccoy-of-domestic-violence-ped-use/

Damn that is really bad assuming it's a legit IG account of her friend and not a troll.  The PEDs are nothing compared to the accusation of such a beating to someone, let alone to his child and pet as well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1033 on: July 10, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »
It was their on field antics I bet. Talib only had 1 incident here.  It wasn't big but the hood squashed it right away.
I assume you're talking about his meltdown against Steve Smith. Yeah, Bill stopped that shit pretty fast. Not enough coaches have the balls to sit a crucial player like that (looking in Tom Coughlin's direction).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1034 on: July 10, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/10/photo-surfaces-accusing-bills-rb-lesean-mccoy-of-domestic-violence-ped-use/

Damn that is really bad assuming it's a legit IG account of her friend and not a troll.  The PEDs are nothing compared to the accusation of such a beating to someone, let alone to his child and pet as well.
He said he hasn't seen the girl in months. That'll be a really simple thing to ascertain. For once we should actually have a pretty good idea of whether or not the allegations are correct (not that it'll make any difference to the league).
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1035 on: July 10, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
Did anything ever come out after his Women's Only party before he left Philly?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »

He said he hasn't seen the girl in months. That'll be a really simple thing to ascertain. For once we should actually have a pretty good idea of whether or not the allegations are correct (not that it'll make any difference to the league).

Yea, I hope if this turns out to be a false accusation that we see this person get into some legal trouble.  Should be easy for the authorities to figure out if he was involved or not, I would think.  It better make a difference to the league too.  The accusation seems worse than Ray Rice, but it better be true if the league is going to treat him similar.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1037 on: July 10, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »

Yea, I hope if this turns out to be a false accusation that we see this person get into some legal trouble.  Should be easy for the authorities to figure out if he was involved or not, I would think.  It better make a difference to the league too.  The accusation seems worse than Ray Rice, but it better be true if the league is going to treat him similar.
Man, this thing has OJ level tabloid intrigue all over it. It also has some OJ behavior in it, as well (the burglary, not the beheading). From what we're hearing he's been trying to evict the girl and her son for a while, and she has been ducking the notification. Last night there was a home invasion where intruders demanded some specific possessions of his and roughed her up a little. That does sound a little shady. Personally, I've never gotten the impression that McCoy was particularly smart, and definitely not smart enough to successfully pull off something like this, or organize such a conspiracy. If he's involved we'll know soon enough.

As for the league, it's been made abundantly clear that fairness is not part of the equation. In fact, the legal matter at hand during the deflategate legal proceedings was the league defending its right to not be fair. From what I've seen since then I think it's taking that right and running with it. What happens regarding this will happen whether he actually did it or not. The thing he has going for him is that I don't know of any particular resentment towards Terry Pegula. That'll help his cause.

Also, if he actually is in the clear regarding this I'd expect to see a lawsuit filed against the accuser PDQ.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1038 on: July 10, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »
Met Cam Wake today at the Verizon store.  Very nice guy.  Nice Ferrari too.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1039 on: July 10, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
If it turns out that the guys who beat up the victim are connected to McCoy, it will stick to him, even if it turns out he didn't orchestrate the home invasion and assault.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1040 on: July 10, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
Ray Lewis.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: July 11, 2018, 04:48:14 AM »

That's awesome!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: July 11, 2018, 05:28:40 AM »
Shady stuff indeed. Due process can play out and all... but this doesn't look good....

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-lesean-mccoy-instagram-allegation-20180710-story.html

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:07 AM »

Guy has a good story as a PSU linebacker (He went by Derek Wake back then) when I was a freshman.  He was good, but not NFL good and made his way through the CFL before making an impact in the NFL.

If it turns out that the guys who beat up the victim are connected to McCoy, it will stick to him, even if it turns out he didn't orchestrate the home invasion and assault.

Yea, it's going to be hard to keep people from associating him with this even if it wasn't him actually involved.  I could definitely see the NFL making a statement as well, and of course they don't need evidence to do so.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
“I support and stand by my boy, Shady,” Incognito said Tuesday night on Twitter. “I know the full story and he didn’t do it. People can be quick to make false assumptions without knowing the full story.”

Well there you have it. Incognito cleared it up for us!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
 :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1046 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
Attorney Tanya Mitchell Graham says in a statement to news outlets that her client was physically assaulted Tuesday morning by a man who entered the home with no signs of forced entry. The man demanded specific items of jewelry that had been gifted to her from McCoy, who had requested them back on many occasions.

For God's sake, if you're going to try and pull something like this have them take every piece of jewelry in the house, but only after you take a variety of other things. What you actually came for should seem like an afterthought. This isn't rocket science.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »
Attorney Tanya Mitchell Graham says in a statement to news outlets that her client was physically assaulted Tuesday morning by a man who entered the home with no signs of forced entry. The man demanded specific items of jewelry that had been gifted to her from McCoy, who had requested them back on many occasions.

For God's sake, if you're going to try and pull something like this have them take every piece of jewelry in the house, but only after you take a variety of other things. What you actually came for should seem like an afterthought. This isn't rocket science.

Exactly. This was way too specific!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:49 AM »
yikes, shady indeed

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1049 on: July 11, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
I think I'd rather have Donald Trump as my character witness than Richie Incognito.  "Shady".   Jeez.