3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185095 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The San Francisco 49ers
« Reply #980 on: June 27, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
Someone that should get an honorable mention is Roger Craig. I always thought that he was the perfect RB for that team/system.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #981 on: June 27, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »
When I played tackle football with my buddies, they had 2 nicknames for me,  one was Riggins for John Riggins and the other was Rathman for Tom Rathman.  I never tried to sidestep a tackle. I always tried to blow up the defender like those two players did so I've always loved #44.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: June 27, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
Welp...seeing I missed my teams day, I can at least hit the team I like the absolute least!

Niners Mt Rushmore...

Montana
Rice
Young
Craig
Lott

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #983 on: June 27, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
I only put players on there (not owners or coaches), so this was easy:

Rice
Montana
Young
Lott

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #984 on: June 27, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »
I only put players on there (not owners or coaches), so this was easy:

Rice
Montana
Young
Lott

Same here, though I might want Haley in Young's spot. Tough call.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #985 on: June 27, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
When I think of the 9ers it makes me miss Jim Harbaugh being in the NFL, he's an awesome coach and was so entertaining to watch  :lol I think it's a shame that he's not coaching in the NFL any more. In my opinion he's good enough to turn almost any team in the NFL into a contender, just look at what he did with the 9ers in his first year...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #986 on: June 27, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
Hard to argue with Rice, Montana, Lott and Walsh. Any talk of Niner greats has to begin with them.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: June 28, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
Certainly feel free to keep talking about the great 49ers franchise, but I've got to get today's entry in a bit earlier than usual.

Today's team, The Washington Redskins

5 League Championships (1937, 1942, 1982, 1987, 1991)

My Mount Rushmore... Sammy Baugh, Darrell Green, John Riggins, Art Monk

Uniforms are decent. I do like the white jerseys over the burgundy ones.

Memorable games.... not too many since their SB days.

Offline max_security

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Washington Redskins
« Reply #988 on: June 28, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
My neighbors dad was an avid Skins fan and I loved going over there on Sundays to watch him drink beer and cuss Billy Kilmer , lol. After the Colts rolled out I tried to be a Redskins fan but I just could never really get on board ( and they were a decent team ). I remember going to a Capitols game and Charles Mann , Dexter Manley , and Mark Rippon ( spelling sorry I'm not looking this up now ) were there at the game , man those guys are huge you just don't realize till you stand close to them. They have always missed with me , heart or integrity or something like that the Baltimore ( and some other ) teams projected , they are just like " as a matter of fact " kind of attitude still to this day ( Joe Gibbs perhaps ) . Damn they had a hell of an O Line though ( " The Hogs " ).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #989 on: June 28, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Late to the party; sorry, work trip.

Colts: Johnny U., Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Raymond Berry (Freeney and Saturday as honorable mentions)
49ers: Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Y.A. Tittle (not kidding). (Young, Craig, Haley and Clark as honorable mentions)
Skins:  There's actually too many; Joe Theisman, Sonny Jurgenson, John Riggins, Darrell Green (Honorable mention to Monk, Jacoby, Grimm, Houston, Bailey, Hanburger, Moseley)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #990 on: June 28, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
I missed a bunch as a result of being on vacation and catching up at the office.

Broncos:  Elway, Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Steve Atwater (honorable mention to Von Miller, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Karl Mecklenburg and Randy Gradishar)

Rams:  Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Jackie Slater, Deacon Jones (honorable mention to Marshall Faulk, Jack Youngblood, Wendell Tyler, Rosie Greer, Lamar Lundy and Merlin Olson)

Lions:  Barry Sanders, Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Dick Lane

Eagles:  Bill Bergey, Chuck Bednarik, Reggie White, Donovan McNabb

Browns:  Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield

Colts:  Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Johnny Unitas, Raymond Berry

49ers:  Montana, Rice, Lott, Young

Redskins:  Sammy Baugh, Art Monk, Chris Hanburger, Darrell Green
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: June 29, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
Now it's time for America's Team (oh boy).

The Dallas Cowboys

5 League Championships (1971, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995)

My Mount Rushmore would be Emmitt Smith, Roger Staubach, Larry Allen & Tom Landry

Uniforms are a complete mess. The helmets however are incredible.

Memorable games...... recently, Romo vs. Manning in 2013 and Dez Dropping it in Green Bay.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Dallas Cowboys
« Reply #992 on: June 29, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
Emmitt, Irvin, Staubach, Randy White. I went with these four because each one of them would take over a game and win it single-handed, and they were dominant at their position at the time they played.

Honorable mentions could fill a book. Obviously Larry Allen. Harvey Martin, Aikman, Dorsett, Everson Walls, Haley, and Bob Lilly are all strong candidates, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: June 29, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Emmitt, Irvin, Staubach, Randy White. I went with these four because each one of them would take over a game and win it single-handed, and they were dominant at their position at the time they played.

Honorable mentions could fill a book. Obviously Larry Allen. Harvey Martin, Aikman, Dorsett, Everson Walls, Haley, and Bob Lilly are all strong candidates, as well.

I'd swap out Aikman for Irvin, but that's a good list with a soundproof rationale.  (Might add Ed "Too Tall" Jones to the honorable mention, though, and if we ever name coaches, Landry has to be there.)   

Funny story about Bob Lilly.   Three buddies went to a card signing show (one is the real collector, the other two went along for the beer/ride).    They go into the hotel bar after the show, and who walks in but Bob Lilly.   My buddy had gotten a football signed by him (he's a life-long Cowboys fan) and when Lilly sat down next to them Mike showed him the ball, said thanks and offered to buy him a beer.   Lilly ended up sitting with them for about a half an hour, and Mike says "we're going to get some steaks, you're welcome to join us" and Lilly says "I'd love to but I'm committed to go with the promoter of the show and Steve (Carlton, the other big name from the show).  I'll stop in on the way back and if you're here, we can pick up the conversation". 

Anyway, so Carlton walks in about ten, fifteen minutes later and comes up to Lilly and my other friend says "Steve Carlton?  He's my favorite player of all time!" so Mike pulls out a ball and says "well, here you go."  So my friend goes around and says "Mr. Carlton, I wasn't at the show, but I grew up a Phillies fan and you're my favorite player, yadda yadda".  Carlton says "Guy, I'm sorry, I've been signing all day, and I'm supposed to only sign for paying customers and..." and Lilly turns to him and says "Steve, shut up and sign the fucking ball."   "Yes, Bob."   

Really, genuinely seemed to appreciate being recognized and valued by a fan (it was clear that Mike wasn't doing this to put shit on eBay, which is a big problem for these guys).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #994 on: June 29, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »

I'd swap out Aikman for Irvin, but that's a good list with a soundproof rationale.  (Might add Ed "Too Tall" Jones to the honorable mention, though, and if we ever name coaches, Landry has to be there.)   

Funny story about Bob Lilly.   Three buddies went to a card signing show (one is the real collector, the other two went along for the beer/ride).    They go into the hotel bar after the show, and who walks in but Bob Lilly.   My buddy had gotten a football signed by him (he's a life-long Cowboys fan) and when Lilly sat down next to them Mike showed him the ball, said thanks and offered to buy him a beer.   Lilly ended up sitting with them for about a half an hour, and Mike says "we're going to get some steaks, you're welcome to join us" and Lilly says "I'd love to but I'm committed to go with the promoter of the show and Steve (Carlton, the other big name from the show).  I'll stop in on the way back and if you're here, we can pick up the conversation". 

Anyway, so Carlton walks in about ten, fifteen minutes later and comes up to Lilly and my other friend says "Steve Carlton?  He's my favorite player of all time!" so Mike pulls out a ball and says "well, here you go."  So my friend goes around and says "Mr. Carlton, I wasn't at the show, but I grew up a Phillies fan and you're my favorite player, yadda yadda".  Carlton says "Guy, I'm sorry, I've been signing all day, and I'm supposed to only sign for paying customers and..." and Lilly turns to him and says "Steve, shut up and sign the fucking ball."   "Yes, Bob."   

Really, genuinely seemed to appreciate being recognized and valued by a fan (it was clear that Mike wasn't doing this to put shit on eBay, which is a big problem for these guys).
Irvin was a revolutionary player to some extent. Aikman was a very good quarterback on quite possibly the most talented team ever assembled. He didn't reinvent the position or change the way teams ran their secondary. I gave Staubach the edge because A: he was the ultimate competitor, and B: he was exceptional for his entire career, playing for very different teams.

My old man worked with Staubach on a few occasions (I've sat in his box at Stars games). His take on the man was that he was absolutely, utterly and completely humorless, and that he was still the most competitive guy you'll ever meet. I never met him but he did wave at me once when I stopped and let him walk across the street.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #995 on: June 29, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Most of us here are way too young to remember, but the two super bowls against the Steelers were great games. I re-watched the games on NFL network a few years ago.

SBX the Cowboys were up 10-7 going into the 4th quarter. The Steelers scored two touchdowns, and the Cowboys answered back with one and were driving, but Staubach threw an interception in the end zone as time expired.

SBXIII featured 14 hall of fame players between the two teams. The game is also the only time in NFL history to feature two QB's with two SB rings each. The final score was 35-31 in a game where both QB's were very impressive for that era.

Then there was "The Catch" game against the 49ers.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #996 on: June 29, 2018, 05:59:52 PM »
Not sure I can do only four for the Cowboys....

If I go with one QB, one RB, one WR, and one defensive player (which is totally ridiculous because, among other things, it excludes all of the great Cowboys' offensive linemen), I think I have to go with:

Roger Staubach > Troy Aikman
Emmett Smith > Tony Dorsett
Michael Irvin > Drew Pearson and Tony Hill
Randy White > "Too Tall" Jones, Charlie Waters and Sean Lee (and many others)

Most of us here are way too young to remember, but the two super bowls against the Steelers were great games. . . .

. . .

SBXIII featured 14 hall of fame players between the two teams. The game is also the only time in NFL history to feature two QB's with two SB rings each. The final score was 35-31 in a game where both QB's were very impressive for that era.

SB 13 was the second Super Bowl I watched.  After rooting for the Broncos over the Cowboys in 12, I was pulling for the Cowboys in 13.  The game didn't feel as close as the score reflected.  Unfortunately, the game is probably most known for Jackie Smith's drop of what would have been a tying touchdown (assuming the extra point) late in the third quarter.  Instead of tying the game, the Cowboys settled for a field goal.  The Steelers then scored 14 unanswered pointsto take a 35-17 lead more than half way through the 4th quarter.  The Cowboys narrowed the gap to the final score with two touchdowns in a span of about two minutes, but they couldn't recover a second onside kick to give themselves a chance at a game winning Hail Mary pass.

Super Bowls 16 and 23 came the closest to measuring up to this game until my Broncos won Super Bowl 32.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #997 on: June 29, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »

If I go with one QB, one RB, one WR, and one defensive player (which is totally ridiculous because, among other things, it excludes all of the great Cowboys' offensive linemen), I think I have to go with:

Most of us here are way too young to remember, but the two super bowls against the Steelers were great games. . . .

. . .

SB 13 was the second Super Bowl I watched.  After rooting for the Broncos over the Cowboys in 12, I was pulling for the Cowboys in 13.  The game didn't feel as close as the score reflected.  Unfortunately, the game is probably most known for Jackie Smith's drop of what would have been a tying touchdown (assuming the extra point) late in the third quarter.  Instead of tying the game, the Cowboys settled for a field goal.  The Steelers then scored 14 unanswered pointsto take a 35-17 lead more than half way through the 4th quarter.  The Cowboys narrowed the gap to the final score with two touchdowns in a span of about two minutes, but they couldn't recover a second onside kick to give themselves a chance at a game winning Hail Mary pass.

Super Bowls 16 and 23 came the closest to measuring up to this game until my Broncos won Super Bowl 32.
I remember it for the bullshit interference call. Lynn Swann misses that catch and they punt. Dallas had all the momentum at that point. Handing Pittsburgh the ball inside the Dallas red zone turns the tide back and that's that.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: June 29, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »
The best compliment I can say is I hated Them Boys but I knew so many great players from the Cowboys.  The hate stemmed from a neighbor.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #999 on: June 29, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
Troy Aikman is underrated. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1000 on: June 29, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »
Fun fact: that 35-31 Steelers/Cowboys Super Bowl was apparently one of the worst days for Vegas ever.

Pittsburgh started off as a 3 1/2-pt favorite, but it moved to 5 at some point, and a lot of people who had taken Pittsburgh -3 1/2 then took Dallas + 5 hoping it would fall in the middle and the Steelers would win by 4...which they did.  :lol :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1001 on: June 30, 2018, 01:13:26 AM »

. . .

I remember it for the bullshit interference call. Lynn Swann misses that catch and they punt. Dallas had all the momentum at that point. Handing Pittsburgh the ball inside the Dallas red zone turns the tide back and that's that.

There were two controversial calls on that drive. The other had something to do with a false start. I'd have to look it up to know for sure, but I've heard that one of the calls was made by the same ump that made the immaculate reception call a few years earlier.

Deflate gate and spy gate have nothing on how that probably made people's heads spin at the time.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: July 01, 2018, 05:24:09 PM »
Kam Chancellor to call it a career. Don't blame the man for putting his health first.

Wilson's job just got even harder.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: July 02, 2018, 03:42:28 AM »
Today's team is one that probably needs this the least, as it is far an away the most talked about team in this forum's history.....

The New England Patriots

5 League Championships (2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016)

Mount Rushmore -  Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, John Hannah, Andre Tippett

Didn't care for their original uniforms/helmets. Loved the ones from the mid-90s. The current ones are okay.

Memorable games..... too many to count. All of the B&B era Super Bowls were close, tight games.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The New England Patriots
« Reply #1004 on: July 02, 2018, 04:17:39 AM »
John Hannah is and always will be my favorite Patriot.  The meanest streak I have ever seen in a player but the cleanest player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1005 on: July 02, 2018, 06:07:29 AM »
The helmet with the minuteman hiking the football is the coolest in the history of football. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: July 02, 2018, 06:13:44 AM »
The helmet with the minuteman hiking the football is the coolest in the history of football.

Pat Patriot.  I still by the hats with him all the time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1007 on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:52 AM »
Also, can we put David Tyree on the Pats Mt Rushmore? :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: July 02, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »
John Hannah is and always will be my favorite Patriot.  The meanest streak I have ever seen in a player but the cleanest player.

Which to me is the hallmark of the truly greats.    The guy that no one wants to take their chances against.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: July 02, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »
This is so hard, for a couple reasons; first, they are a situational and role-playing team.  They have a number of interchangeable parts.   They have so many players that have stepped up.    I'm going to go out on a limb, though, and forsake the "individual accomplishment" and go for the more "systemic accomplishment".  So no Randy Moss, but:

Tom Brady, John Hannah, Rodney Harrison, Troy Brown.   

Honorable mention to Steve Grogan, Kevin Faulk, Tedy Bruschi, Gino Cappalletti, Stanley Morgan, Russ Francis, Gronk, Vince Wilfork...  and a shout out to Daryl Stingley, just because.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
Also, can we put David Tyree on the Pats Mt Rushmore? :P

What no Manningham as well? :lol

Which to me is the hallmark of the truly greats.    The guy that no one wants to take their chances against.   

Or he'll pancake you and let you know he's going to do that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: July 02, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
Tom Brady, John Hannah, Stanley Morgan & Andre Tippet

Adam Vinatieri and Gronk deserve mentions.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1012 on: July 02, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
Brady, Vinatieri, Troy Brown, Vrabel. Honorable mention to Mo Lewis.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: July 02, 2018, 08:54:06 AM »
Mo Lewis. :lol

I remember being at that game and Brady went down and never got up.  I saw Brady come in and we were like, "Who the hell is this kid"?  "Isn't he the 4th string QB"?

Who knew then?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
Brady, Vinatieri, Troy Brown, Vrabel. Honorable mention to Mo Lewis.

HAHA, that's legendary.  Nicely done.  :)