3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185226 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Philadelphia Eagles
« Reply #945 on: June 24, 2018, 06:09:33 AM »
Something else that could be fun to do after the team a day thing winds down.

DTF ranks the NFL QBs.

Send me a PM with your list of NFL QBs as you would rank them based on how good you think they are as of right now (assuming the injured ones are recovered by the regular season). You can list 10, 20 or how ever many you want. I'll give each QB points based on how they rank on your list and I'll rank them up and  we'll count them down. If fun feel free to send me a list. If lame, no biggie.

Blake Bortles is number 1 and everyone else is fighting for 2nd place.

You mean Bane Bortles?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: June 24, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »
Please do not mock the eventual GOAT.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: June 24, 2018, 06:56:41 AM »
I made that last year and Twitter loved it. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #948 on: June 24, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
Twitter is full of heathens, so I am not surprised.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:21 AM »
The internet is full of heathens.  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #950 on: June 24, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »

DTF ranks the NFL QBs.

Send me a PM with your list of NFL QBs as you would rank them based on how good you think they are as of right now (assuming the injured ones are recovered by the regular season). You can list 10, 20 or how ever many you want. I'll give each QB points based on how they rank on your list and I'll rank them up and  we'll count them down. If fun feel free to send me a list. If lame, no biggie.

Blake Bortles is number 1 and everyone else is fighting for 2nd place.

You mean Bane Bortles?

You merely adopted mediocrity. I was born in it, molded by it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: June 24, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #952 on: June 24, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
My Mt. Rushmore:   Reggie White, Chuck Bednarik, Harold Carmicheal, Norm Van Brocklin.  Honorable mention to Bill Bergey and Duce Staley (because I love his name).

Alex Karras trivia answer (which no one cares about): He played "Mongo" in Blazing Saddles ("Anagram (For Mongo)" by Rush is named for a scene in Blazing Saddles involving Karras). 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: June 24, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »

DTF ranks the NFL QBs.

This is an awesome idea. Be sure to remind us around the time that you want to do it, and I'll be sure to participate.

Feel free to message me your rankings whenever you'd like. I'd be looking to start the countdown once the team a day thing winds.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #954 on: June 25, 2018, 04:55:21 AM »
I’ll jump the gun because I know who’s next alphabetically and I don’t want to miss the discussion.

I love Terry Bradshaw, but he’s in the Hall of Fame for basically 2 games, Super Bowl XIII and Super Bowl XIV. Not to mention few QBs in history were helped more by their defense and running game. I have to put Ben ahead of him.

Trying to avoid an anti-recency bias here - on a more controversial note, I might have to put Antonio Brown ahead of Franco Harris. Brown still has many great years ahead of him, and Franco was never considered the best in the league with OJ, Walter Payton, etc.

So my Mount Rushmore is Roethlisberger, Brown, Mean Joe Greene, and Jack Lambert. Extremely difficult to leave out Swann, Stallworth, Hines, Rod Woodson, James Harrison, Troy Polamalu plus a bunch of other Hall of Fame defensive players and O-Linemen.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: June 25, 2018, 10:03:20 AM »
Today's team: The Cleveland Browns

4 League Championships (1950, 1954, 1955, 1964)

My Mount Rushmore would be  Jim Brown, Paul Brown, Otto Graham, Lou Groza with apologies to Joe Thomas

Uniforms.... wow.... don't mind the classic look from the 80s-96... I mean nothing to exciting... but much better than the duds they rolled out a couple of years ago.

Memorable game for me.... the two AFCC games vs. Denver.....

Browns are getting their crap together. Expect them to be a playoff team in the next 2 years or so.

Offline kaos2900

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Cleveland Browns
« Reply #956 on: June 25, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
I thought the Browns were going to be much improved last year and they didn't win a game. Their immediate future depends on Mayfield panning out.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: June 25, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
I thought the Browns were going to be much improved last year and they didn't win a game. Their immediate future depends on Mayfield panning out.

Not necessarily. Tyrod Taylor was able to get the Bills to the playoffs last year with arguably a worse team than Cleveland currently has on paper.  Now we'll see if that pans out or not.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »
My Mt. Rushmore:  Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Joe Thomas, and Bernie Kozar, with honorable mention to Ozzie Newsom and Paul Warfield.

If you're counting on Tyrod Taylor, you better not be too invested in your outcome.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: June 25, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »
My Mt. Rushmore:  Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Joe Thomas, and Bernie Kozar, with honorable mention to Ozzie Newsom and Paul Warfield.

If you're counting on Tyrod Taylor, you better not be too invested in your outcome.

I'm thinking 4-6 wins this year.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: June 25, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
Not necessarily. Tyrod Taylor was able to get the Bills to the playoffs last year with arguably a worse team than Cleveland currently has on paper. 

Games aren't played on paper. There are played by little men inside our TV sets.

Chalk it up, right here and now: Browns won't make the playoffs for the next 5 years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »
I  wouldn't bet against that on a, well, bet. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #962 on: June 25, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
As a Broncos fan, I want Ernest Byner on the Browns Mt Rushmore. :hat

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: June 25, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
Not necessarily. Tyrod Taylor was able to get the Bills to the playoffs last year with arguably a worse team than Cleveland currently has on paper. 

Games aren't played on paper. There are played by little men inside our TV sets.

Chalk it up, right here and now: Browns won't make the playoffs for the next 5 years.

Why? Because they're the Browns? That sort of close-minded thinking gets debunked many times in sports, especially recently in the NFL with the Rams and Jaguars stunning turnarounds.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:51:41 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #964 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »
As a Broncos fan, I want Ernest Byner on the Browns Mt Rushmore. :hat

Da Fumble!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: June 25, 2018, 09:51:45 PM »

Why? Because they're the Browns?

Precisely :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #966 on: June 26, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »

Why? Because they're the Browns? That sort of close-minded thinking gets debunked many times in sports, especially recently in the NFL with the Rams and Jaguars stunning turnarounds.

Or look at the Golden Knights in hockey. They were supposed to be terrible as a first year team but they made it all the way to the finals. Trends get set so that they can be bucked.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: June 26, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
They would need a LOT of luck to replicate the Golden Knight's success.

Speaking of Luck... today's team is the Indianapolis Colts

4 League Championships (1958, 1959, 1970, 2006)

My Mount Rushmore would be  Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, Gino Marchetti & Dwight Freeney. Apologies to Raymond Berry and Marvin Harrison

Love the uniforms and helmets. Classic and clean.

Memorable games.... before my time... but the '58 NFL Championship and SB III. Games I remember all of the Pats/Colts playoff games from the Brady/Manning era. A couple of Colts/Chargers games. The Colts/Chiefs wild card game from a few years ago.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Indianapolis Colts
« Reply #968 on: June 26, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
The Queen and I 2007. Pats at Indy.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: June 26, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
The Queen and I 2007. Pats at Indy.

If memory serves me right....that was something like a  9-0 vs 9-0 matchup

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: June 26, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
And memory was off... 8-0 vs. 7-0.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: June 26, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
Yeah, it was so damn loud in there.  Almost ear piercing.  We had a great time thanks to our friends who had season tickets.  The stunned sound when Moss went over the middle making a one handed catch was fun to hear.  I had a lot of colts fans tell my wife and I we were really nice for being Pats fans. :lol

after the game it was dead silence and I had so many people calling me from home screaming into the phone.  I was responding really quiet, almost monotone. They were like, "Why are you quiet"?  I said, I can't be loud right now.  then they got i was walking back to the car with Colts fans and I didn't want to yelp it up.

Offline max_security

« Reply #972 on: June 26, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »
Mt. Rushmore would be something like Art Donovan , Johnny U , Bert Jones , Lydell Mitchel for the Baltimore Colts ( because their the only names I can think of at the moment lol ). Having Johnny U mentioned here is like having Ed Reed mentioned with the Browns. Johnny U did not want to be associated with the Indianapolis team , all of his old stuff is at Camden Yards ( and a statue at " The Bank " where the Ravens play ).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: June 26, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »
Mt. Rushmore would be something like Art Donovan , Johnny U , Bert Jones , Lydell Mitchel for the Baltimore Colts ( because their the only names I can think of at the moment lol ). Having Johnny U mentioned here is like having Ed Reed mentioned with the Browns. Johnny U did not want to be associated with the Indianapolis team , all of his old stuff is at Camden Yards ( and a statue at " The Bank " where the Ravens play ).

I get that. I've rubbed his cleats prior to entering M&T Bank. But the fact remains that the Colts history and records went with the franchise to Indy, regardless of how the players or anyone else felt  I'm glad that they got it right in keeping the Browns records in Cleveland.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: June 27, 2018, 12:55:42 PM »
Moving on to the 3 teams with 5 Championships.

The San Francisco 49ers

5 League Championships (1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994)

Mount Rushmore,  Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Bill Walsh

Uniforms and helmets are incredible... among the league's best.

Memorable games.... the first game I remember watching live was the 55-10 SF win over Denver in the Super Bowl. Memorable games for me since then, that Wild Card game against the Giants in 2002, Kaepernick's coming out party against the Packers in 2012 and the recent clashes with Seattle. Memorable Moments.... T.O.....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The San Francisco 49ers
« Reply #975 on: June 27, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
I really like your Mt. Rushmore and your memorable moments/games.  I was prepared to have to make a case for Ronnie being part of it because I think including him is a must.  Bill Walsh wasn't on my personal list simply because I wasn't thinking in terms of including coaches.  But upon seeing him in your list, I fully agree about including him.  The championship era was profoundly impacted by what he built.  In fact, I would go farther and say that the way football was played in the '80s and beyond was profoundly impacted by what he built.  So great insight in including him.  The only thing I will say is that it somehow feels wrong and shortsighted to only include players from that championship period.  But, again, in actually looking at the names, I can't argue against it either.

I had the luxury and good fortune of becoming an NFL and 49ers fan toward the end of the SB XV season.  What that meant was that the following season, which was the first FULL season that I paid attention to the NFL, I got to witness seeing a team that wasn't really on most people's radars rise to not only become champions, but also become the beginning of a dynasty.  Admittedly, it kinda spoiled me and made me feel a bit entitled as a sports fan.  But it was also so much fun to see and live through.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #976 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
I remember being a kid and thinking that Joe Montana was the coolest guy in the world, even before I was a big football fan.

Kudos to Garappolo - he went to my high school, played at Eastern Illinois University where he broke Tony Romo's records, and after a few years of backing up one of the best QB's to ever play the game, is now a starting QB for the 49ers and making HUGE money.  It's awesome to see a local kid make it in the big leagues.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: June 27, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
It was "The Catch" that made me a SF fan.  I hated on Dallas because of a neighbor that loved every team but the locals just to be different and Dallas was his team.  Of course the catch and the win helped me rag on him so I instantly became a SF fan. :lol

The hate is strong in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #978 on: June 27, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
Hey, if one game/play can make someone a fan of a team, that's got to be one of the most appropriate games/plays for that, so no argument from me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: June 27, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
Hey, if one game/play can make someone a fan of a team, that's got to be one of the most appropriate games/plays for that, so no argument from me.

I was 13.  Hormones got the best of me. :lol