3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185203 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Arizona Cardinals
« Reply #875 on: June 13, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »
I like the unis in the middle picture best.  DO NOT like the ones in the bottom.

Mt. Rushmore:  Kurt Warner (one of my favorite NFL players ever), Larry Fitzgerald, Dan Dierdorff, Ottis Anderson.  Honorable mention:  Pat Tillman, Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Conrad Dobler (Lloyd Dobler's dad), Jackie Smith and Roger Wehrli.

Carson Palmer doesn't make the list, because the Cardinals team under Bruce Arians could have been great, but I just don't think Palmer answered the bell, frankly. 

Offline pg1067

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Seattle Seahawks
« Reply #876 on: June 13, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
We'll stick with the NFC West, as we move on to the teams with 2 league championships. Today we discuss the longest running professional football team in the United States, and one of only two NFL charter members still playing today.

The Arizona Cardinals, formally known as the Chicago/St.Louis/Phoenix Cardinals
2 League Championships (1925, 1947)

I don't know much about their pre-Phoenix days, so my Mount Rushmore would be Larry Fitzgerald, Kurt Warner, Aeneas Williams & Pat Tillman

Their uniforms are okay. Not bad, not great. Much preferred their look in the 90s/early 00s. 

Memorable games for me were the Super Bowl, their two recent playoff games against the Packers. And "We let 'em off the hook" game against Chicago in 2006.

Mt. Rushmore:  Larry Fitzgerald, Kurt Warner, Patrick Peterson and Dan Dierdorf/Conrad Dobler.  Roger Wehrli would be another good one.  As for Tillman, sorry, but there's no way a guy who only played 3 3/4 seasons belongs on a "Mt. Rushmore."

Memorable game:  Super Bowl 43 and not much else, although I remember really liking the way the Cardinals offense played in the late 1970s.  Jim Hart throwing to guys like Mel Gray (I only saw Terry Metcalf for one season before he left for the CFL and then his one year with the Redskins after he returned).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: June 13, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
Yeah... I spaced out on Peterson. He's better than Williams was.

And Pat Tillman deserves any love that he gets. Dude was a legit hero.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #878 on: June 13, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

I'm hesitant to argue the point, and he deserves credit for what he was, but not for what he wasn't.  He had one slightly better than average season but was otherwise no better than an average player (and, again, one who played only 3 3/4 seasons and wasn't even a starter for half his career).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: June 13, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »

I'm hesitant to argue the point, and he deserves credit for what he was, but not for what he wasn't.  He had one slightly better than average season but was otherwise no better than an average player (and, again, one who played only 3 3/4 seasons and wasn't even a starter for half his career).

You're right. If the  Mount Rushmore is just on the field ability and accomplishments, he doesn't make the cut for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #880 on: June 13, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
Quick sidebar: aside from Kurt Warner, what are other NFL players have a strong argument for being on multiple Mount Rushmores?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #881 on: June 13, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
Quick sidebar: aside from Kurt Warner, what are other NFL players have a strong argument for being on multiple Mount Rushmores?

Charles Haley?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #882 on: June 13, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »

Charles Haley?

Eh, I think the Cowboys and 49ers franchises are way too storied for him to make it on either.

I thought about Deion Sanders, but there is no way I can put him on Dallas'. 

Apologies for jumping the gun on teams we have not discussed yet, DOC.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #883 on: June 13, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
Morten Andersen. An argument could be made for Peyton.

I think the problem is that it says more about the team than it does the player. SF and Dallas have huge histories of great players. Arizona not so much. While it's definitely not a knock on Kurt Warner, he played on two teams with smaller stables of greats.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »

Charles Haley?

Eh, I think the Cowboys and 49ers franchises are way too storied for him to make it on either.

I thought about Deion Sanders, but there is no way I can put him on Dallas'. 

Apologies for jumping the gun on teams we have not discussed yet, DOC.

No need to apologize. Any discussion is welcome!

I think the problem is that it says more about the team than it does the player. SF and Dallas have huge histories of great players. Arizona not so much. While it's definitely not a knock on Kurt Warner, he played on two teams with smaller stables of greats.

I agree with this. Depends on the teams. If Peyton Manning had led the Texans to a SB instead of going to Denver, he'd undoubtedly be on two Mount Rushmore.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »

Controversial pick to stimulate conversation:   Bill Romanowski.

Not controversial pick, but may not count because he's a coach:   Don Shula.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: June 14, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »

Shula's a great choice. Very important to both the Colts and the Dolphins.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #887 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »

Not a good one.  Manning won't make the ring of honor in Denver, much less a hypothetical "Mt. Rushmore."

The relatively infrequency of player movement makes this a difficult question.  Without spending an inordinate amount of time on this, and other than the couple mentioned already, I also thought of Doug Williams, although putting him on the 'Skins' "Mt. Rushmore" would probably be a bit of a stretch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #888 on: June 14, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »

Shula's a great choice. Very important to both the Colts and the Dolphins.

Yup.  Good call.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: June 14, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
Speaking of Shula......

Today's team, the Miami Dolphins
2 League Championships (1972, 1973)

Their perfect season is the stuff of legends. Marino was a monster in the 80s and just about all of the 90s. Since his departure, it's been bad times. A handful of playoff appearances and one playoff win that I can think of off the top of my head (over the Colts after the 2000 season).

My Mount Rushmore would be Don Shula, Dan Marino, Jason Taylor and Larry Csonka

Their classic uniforms are among my absolute favorite in professional sports history. Hate the modern tweaks.

Memorable games..... playoff games vs. the Chargers. A couple of regular season games vs. the Pats, particularly one in 2008 where they unveiled the "Wildcat".

As for the current Dolphins, I believe that they will have the worst record in the NFL in the upcoming season.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #890 on: June 14, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
Speaking of Shula......

Today's team, the Miami Dolphins
2 League Championships (1972, 1973)

Their perfect season is the stuff of legends. Marino was a monster in the 80s and just about all of the 90s. Since his departure, it's been bad times. A handful of playoff appearances and one playoff win that I can think of off the top of my head (over the Colts after the 2000 season).

My Mount Rushmore would be Don Shula, Dan Marino, Jason Taylor and Larry Csonka

Their classic uniforms are among my absolute favorite in professional sports history. Hate the modern tweaks.

Memorable games..... playoff games vs. the Chargers. A couple of regular season games vs. the Pats, particularly one in 2008 where they unveiled the "Wildcat".

As for the current Dolphins, I believe that they will have the worst record in the NFL in the upcoming season.

Dan Marino and his GIANT shoulder pads!

Mt. Rushmore:  So many good ones that Marino is the only unassailable choice.  For the other three, I'll go with Bob Kuechenberg, Jake Scott and Larry Csonka.

Memorable games:  Super Bowls 7, 17 and 19 (7 was before my time but is notable for capping off the perfect season and for "Garo's Gaffe") and the 2OT playoff game against San Diego.  I rooted for the Dolphins in 17 and 19, mostly because I liked their style of play much better than that of the Redskins and 49ers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Miami Dolphins
« Reply #891 on: June 14, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
Grudgingly, I think Destiny got it.   Honorable mention to Griese, Stephenson, Buoniconti, the Dick's (Scott and Anderson) and all those amazing offensive lineman they had back in the 70's/early 80's.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #892 on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:49 PM »

I legit laughed at this one.  Subtle but hilarious!!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Love Ray Finkle  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #894 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »
???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: June 14, 2018, 03:14:56 PM »
From the movie Ace Ventura.  Laces out!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: June 14, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
 :o

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #897 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »
Specifically came in here to say that Marino doesn't deserve to be on Mount Rushmore because he cost Miami a Super Bowl by not getting the laces out :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #898 on: June 14, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
Up next is the other 2 Championship team,

The Baltimore Ravens
2 League Championships (2000, 2012)

My Mount Rushmore would be Ray Lewis, John Ogden, Ed Reed & Joe Flacco

Love the jerseys. Prefer the original helmet to the current one.

Lots of memorable games for me, being a fan from 1996-2017. Two great super bowls... big road playoff wins @Tennessee, New England and Denver. Jamal Lewis rushing for 295 yards in a game in 2003. Seeing them practically beat the perfect Pats in 2007 only to see Rex Ryan single handedly cost them the game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Baltimore Ravens
« Reply #900 on: June 15, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
I can’t put Flacco on there. Despite his postseason play in 2012, he’s never been anything more than an average at best nfl starter. I’d put Suggs on there over him.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #901 on: June 15, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »
A picture of Ray Lewis stabbing somebody would have been better.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #902 on: June 15, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
Up next is the other 2 Championship team,

The Baltimore Ravens
2 League Championships (2000, 2012)

My Mount Rushmore would be Ray Lewis, John Ogden, Ed Reed & Joe Flacco

Love the jerseys. Prefer the original helmet to the current one.

Lots of memorable games for me, being a fan from 1996-2017. Two great super bowls... big road playoff wins @Tennessee, New England and Denver. Jamal Lewis rushing for 295 yards in a game in 2003. Seeing them practically beat the perfect Pats in 2007 only to see Rex Ryan single handedly cost them the game.

I despise this team...primarily because of Ray Lewis.

Mt. Rushmore:  Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and Joe Flacco (you could easily swap in Ogden for Flacco).

Memorable games (aside from the two Super Bowls):  the only one that comes to mind (sadly) is that 2013 playoff game in which Rahim Moore and the rest of the Broncos secondary decided to see if Flacco could hit an uncovered receiver 50 yards down the field (I assume that's the game where that picture came from).  I was so livid at that play!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: June 15, 2018, 01:20:28 PM »
A picture of Ray Lewis stabbing somebody would have been better.

Does such a picture exist?

Offline max_security

« Reply #904 on: June 15, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »
I didn't expect the murder would  be mentioned when Ray's name came up . And the victim was a fine upstanding pillar of the community just minding his own business.

Ed Reed , the greatest safety to ever play. Lewis , Reed , Suggs , Ogden. Honorable mention to Matt Stover.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #905 on: June 15, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
I can’t put Flacco on there. Despite his postseason play in 2012, he’s never been anything more than an average at best nfl starter. I’d put Suggs on there over him.

Agreed, Flacco is terrible and the worst QB in the league when you balance pay vs production. A lucky 3-qame stretch can’t put you on Rushmore.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: June 15, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
I'm indifferent to Ray Lewis.  I was living in Atlanta at the time (the site of the incident was reasonable driving distance from where my wife worked at the time, and we would on occasion hang out in that area, the "Buckhead" area of the city) and so it was a big deal.    Did he handle it right?   Not even close.  Did he ACTUALLY stab someone?  I tend to think not, given all the info that I've heard.  I don't know.  In the intervening 15 years or whatever, there have been a lot of incidents that sort of make this less than headline material, IMO.  On the field?  He's one of the best that ever played the game.   EVER. 

Mt. Rushmore:  Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Ogden, Flacco.    Flacco deserves to be there, but the other four are just SO good, how do you leave them off?    If I'm not allowed to squeeze the fifth Beatle on there, then it's the first four.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #907 on: June 15, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »

Ed Reed , the greatest safety to ever play.

Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott and Troy P. all dispute your claim. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome, but that's a bold statement.

The playoff games between this team and the Steelers were some of the most brutal, and memorable games for me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: June 18, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
Now we move on to the teams with 3 championships.

Today's team, the Oakland Raiders.

3 League Championships (1976, 1980, 1983)

The Oakland Raiders, one of the most iconic franchises in the league.

My Mount Rushmore would be Al Davis, Gene Upshaw, Marcus Allen, and Tim Brown

Honorable mention to Stabler, Plunkett, Bo Jackson (who was trending towards a great career before his injury), Art Shell and John Madden

Their uniforms and helmets are classic and iconic.

Most of their memorable games were before my time, but I'll never forget the tuck rule game.

Now Jon Gruden is back in charge. We'll see if he can get the most out of Carr, Cooper and company and get the Raiders back on the right track.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Oakland Raiders
« Reply #909 on: June 18, 2018, 07:56:12 AM »
I could EASILY do three Mt. Rushmores and still feel like I've left someone off....

For me:         Madden, Stadler, Tatum, Upshaw
Second tier:   Long, Otto, Biletnikoff, Branch
Third tier:      Plunkett, Allen, Guy, Shell