3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185230 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Atlanta Falcons
« Reply #770 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »
Having lived in Atlanta for about five years (and my next door neighbor was an elderly southern widow who was a season ticket holder since if not the first season, at least back from when they really sucked.

Mike Vick is nowhere near my Mt. Rushmore.   He and Phillip Rivers might want to carpool to the park, because they are in the same boat (and for similar reasons).   Vick is the epitome of the "great athlete" (he's world class, no doubt) but "average football player" dichotomy.

My Mt. Rushmore:

Sanders, Van Note, Ryan, Jones.    Anderson, Bartkowski Chris Chandler (who I like but wasn't that great) and Favre* get honorable mentions.

(* Favre was drafted by the Falcons, and played all of five snaps:   four pass attempts, no completions, two interceptions (one returned for a TD) and the other snap was a sack for a loss.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #771 on: May 31, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »
Sanders, Van Note, Ryan, Jones.    Anderson, Bartkowski Chris Chandler (who I like but wasn't that great) and Favre* get honorable mentions.

I assume you're talking about Julio, not June (who was Bartkowski's backup for four seasons before he coached the team), but who is "Anderson"?  Did you mean Morten Andersen?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #772 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
I'd probably go with Dogkiller, Deion, Andersen, and Tuggle.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: May 31, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »

I assume you're talking about Julio, not June (who was Bartkowski's backup for four seasons before he coached the team), but who is "Anderson"?  Did you mean Morten Andersen?
Jones is Julio.   Anderson is Morten Andersen; I had both he and Jamaal down and deleted the wrong one when editing my list of also-rans. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #774 on: May 31, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

Jones is Julio.   Anderson is Morten Andersen; I had both he and Jamaal down and deleted the wrong one when editing my list of also-rans.

I figured it was Morten, but I couldn't could rule out there being an "Anderson" that I wasn't thinking of (Jamaal didn't come to mind).  ;-)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #775 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »
I'd put Roddy White on the Falcons list before Vick.  He fell off the cliff fast, but he was tremendous from 2007-2012:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitRo00.htm

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: June 02, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Today's team, the last team with out a NFL Championship/Super Bowl Championship, the Minnesota Vikings! Despite making 4 Super Bowls, they've never won the big one, nor have they been back to the big game since the 70s.

My Mount Rushmore: Fran Tarkenton, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson

Always liked their uniforms, helmets. Certainly unique, being the only purple team for decades, and now, one of only two.

Memorable games for me.... their game vs. the Chargers in 2007 saw multiple records broken. A lot of heartbreak in their recent NFC Championship games. Of course, the end of the Divisional round game vs. New Orleans last year was bonkers! Looking forward to seeing how they do with Cousins under center.

Offline PowerSlave

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Minnesota Vikings
« Reply #777 on: June 02, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_People_Eaters

Fran gets a lot of credit for leading those 70's teams, and rightfully so. But their defense was one of the greatest of all time.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: June 02, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
My top four?   

Randall Cunningham, Dante Culpepper, Brad Johnson, and Chris Kluwe.  HAHA, not.

Seriously, Fran Tarkenton, Mick Tinglehoff, Alan Page, and Adrian Peterson, with the second tier:  Randy Moss, Chuck Foreman, Carl Eller, Chris Doleman, Paul Krause, and Jim Marshall.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #779 on: June 02, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
I hate Cris Carter, so the only list I would put him on is the Mount Rushmore of douchebags.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #780 on: June 02, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: June 02, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
I hate Cris Carter, so the only list I would put him on is the Mount Rushmore of douchebags.

I wouldn't mind seeing who else is on that mount Rushmore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »

I wouldn't mind seeing who else is on that mount Rushmore.

I would have to think about it a little bit, to be honest.  Cris Carter and Scottie Pippen have long been the two pro athletes who would definitely make that kind of Mount Rushmore.  Off the top of my head, contenders for the other two spots would include Cam Newton, Draymond Green, Brent Seabrook, Hines Ward and Kobe Bryant.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »
No Boston players Kev? I'm shocked! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
David Ortiz would be the guy closest to making it, but he'd be an alternate at best. :lol :lol

None of the Patriots are hatable douchebags or anything like that.

Most of my hatred for hockey players stems from playoff battles with the Blues (Kris Draper would have made the list 20 years ago), and the Bruins are in the other conference, so there ya go.

The Celtics are the one Boston team I kinda like (Larry Bird is one of my favorite players ever).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #785 on: June 03, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
I loved Kris Draper. And Brent Seabrook, for that matter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: June 03, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
My negative Mount Rushmore is easy:

Cam Newton, Cam Newton, Cam Newton, Cam Newton.

Seriously:  Cam Newton,  Nhadamukong Suh, Vontaze Burfect, Johnny Manziel.   Jay Cutler, Marshawn Lynch, and Terrel Owens are up for consideration.   

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #787 on: June 03, 2018, 08:14:52 PM »
My negative Mount Rushmore starts and ends with Tom Brady. He has caused so much misery in my 24 years on this planet that he overshadows every other player who has ever done something to make me angry.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: June 03, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »
My negative Mount Rushmore starts and ends with Tom Brady. He has caused so much misery in my 24 years on this planet that he overshadows every other player who has ever done something to make me angry.

This makes me happy. It will end soon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: June 04, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
With apologies to the Steamrollers, Yellow Jackets, Bulldogs and Pros, we will move on to the other teams with one league championship, the ones that still exist, that is.

Our next time is the New York Jets.
League Championships - 1 (1968)

Winners of Super Bowl III, one of the two most important football games, according to many. It's been a rough 50 seasons since then. No trips back to the big game. A long, long stint in QB hell. Hopefully for them, Darnold proves to be the real deal.

My Mount Rushmore would be: Joe Namath, Mark Gastineau, Don Maynard, Curtis Martin.  Honorable mention to Kevin Mawae and Revis Island.

Uniforms/Helmets - I'm a weirdo that likes what they were wearing in the 80s and most of the 90s. But their current/classic look is good as well.

Memorable games. In my life time? Not many.......

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The New York Jets
« Reply #790 on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
Was just coming in to post "butt fumble".  Glad it was captured already.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: June 04, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
Funny how that's immediately what I thought of as well for memorable moments.  As a local to this team, it is a really sad thing to be a Jets fan.  My father is one, and I think growing up in the 90s, it just made sense to be a Giants fan as a kid.  There was never anything about the Jets I found remotely interesting, but I do actually root for them.  I don't consider them Giants rivals so I like seeing them do well and give their fans something to be happy about, the sad part is, whatever happiness they get is usually destroyed by some other fall out.  I kind of expect Darnold to be the next thing for Jets fans to be crying about for ages and being mad at the Giants about.  Hopefully thats not the case for their sake.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: June 04, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »
Funny how that's immediately what I thought of as well for memorable moments.  As a local to this team, it is a really sad thing to be a Jets fan.  My father is one, and I think growing up in the 90s, it just made sense to be a Giants fan as a kid.  There was never anything about the Jets I found remotely interesting, but I do actually root for them.  I don't consider them Giants rivals so I like seeing them do well and give their fans something to be happy about, the sad part is, whatever happiness they get is usually destroyed by some other fall out.  I kind of expect Darnold to be the next thing for Jets fans to be crying about for ages and being mad at the Giants about.  Hopefully thats not the case for their sake.

Do you think you'd ever actively hate on the Jets, perhaps if they went on a run like New England has? If I were a Giants fan, I'd imagine I'd be okay with them getting another Championship, but that would be it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: June 04, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »

Do you think you'd ever actively hate on the Jets, perhaps if they went on a run like New England has? If I were a Giants fan, I'd imagine I'd be okay with them getting another Championship, but that would be it.

Not really, unless they beat the Giants in the superbowl, but maybe if they hired another cocky coach who tried to force a rivaly.  The only time I was routing against the Jets was when Rex Ryan was running his mouth about how they were so much better and the team in NY now blah blah blah and then it felt great to smack them in the face on Christmas Eve and go on to win a Superbowl while that loss sent the Jets home and out of the playoff scenario. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: June 04, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »
Yeah, Rex Ryan sure made it easy to hate the Jets.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: June 04, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
Let me vouch for Cram on this.  I grew up a Giants fan; my dad and my uncle are DIE HARD Giant fans and have been since they were kids.  They still lament that game in '58 (the "Greatest Game Ever Played") where Alan Ameche scored against the Gints in overtime.   But there was almost zero animosity against the Jets, and they were even happy when Namath won Super Bowl III (though I think there was some come-uppance there, since it was the Colts that they beat).    Plus, in the mid-70's, when there was some kerfluffle with stadia (the Giants used to play football in the '50's and '60's at Yankee Stadium, and that ended in, I think, '74, and the Jets played at Shea but by arrangement couldn't play there until the Mets season was over, that ended in '77 or '78) they decided to both play in Giants Stadium, so there was more camaraderie than rivalry.   

For me:   Namath, Maynard (nice call, Destiny!), John Riggins, and Martin.   Honorable mention to Gastineau and Joe Klecko. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #796 on: June 04, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »
Can't argue too much with your Mount Rushmore. I'd probably put D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the honorable mentions, dude was an absolute rock for us for a decade and it still blows my mind that playing in the trenches he only missed one snap in his whole career (and that was only because he was subbed out for a desperation trick play on the final snap of a game).

I think the fact that my first specific memory of being a Jets fan is being nine and getting trolled by my dad (a Giants fan) about the Jets not losing for once during their 1-15 season (it was their bye week) pretty well sums up being a Jets fan in general :lol We've had a few really good teams in my lifetime (Kev, that 98 Conference Championship game still haunts me), and some really bad luck (Testaverde hurting his foot to start the 99 season, Favre hurting his arm in 08). I like the current Bowles/Maccagnan duo running things, so hopefully Darnold pans out and we're a contender again in another year or two.

Absolutely loved him in 2009 and 2010 when the team backed up his talk. Losing both of those conference title games killed me for different reasons, and I think we would have been competitive in both Super Bowls. Started to sour on him when the play/results slipped but he kept running his mouth. Definitely see why everyone else disliked him though. I do think it was funny that Giants fans in particular seemed to not like him because the Jets were getting more attention than they were used to :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #797 on: June 04, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
I was a nervous wreck during the whole first half of that 1998 AFCCG, but once the Broncos took the lead in the 3rd Q, I knew we had it.  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: June 04, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »

Absolutely loved him in 2009 and 2010 when the team backed up his talk. Losing both of those conference title games killed me for different reasons, and I think we would have been competitive in both Super Bowls. Started to sour on him when the play/results slipped but he kept running his mouth. Definitely see why everyone else disliked him though. I do think it was funny that Giants fans in particular seemed to not like him because the Jets were getting more attention than they were used to :lol

I actually really liked Rex Ryan at first too.  He had a big mouth but backed it up those two seasons.  It was when he turned his eyes towards the Giants who really weren't worth him picking a fight with, he knew they played that season and it could (and it did) have playoff implications so I guess that's why he went that direction, but that was what turned me off.  Them making the AFCCG was a fine enough reason to be getting more attention in the media than the Giants.  That never bothered me personally.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #799 on: June 04, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
Today's team, the last team with out a NFL Championship/Super Bowl Championship, the Minnesota Vikings! Despite making 4 Super Bowls, they've never won the big one, nor have they been back to the big game since the 70s.

My Mount Rushmore: Fran Tarkenton, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson

Always liked their uniforms, helmets. Certainly unique, being the only purple team for decades, and now, one of only two.

Memorable games for me.... their game vs. the Chargers in 2007 saw multiple records broken. A lot of heartbreak in their recent NFC Championship games. Of course, the end of the Divisional round game vs. New Orleans last year was bonkers! Looking forward to seeing how they do with Cousins under center.

I never saw any of the Vikings Super Bowls.  I didn't start watching football until after Super Bowl 11.

For a Mt. Rushmore, I would go with Alan Page (the only man to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and be a state supreme court justice), Fran Tarkenton, Randall McDaniel and Randy Moss.

Memorable games:  the only one that comes to mind is the one where Gary Anderson missed the chip shot kick, which I think sent Atlanta to the Super Bowl.

With apologies to the Steamrollers, Yellow Jackets, Bulldogs and Pros, we will move on to the other teams with one league championship, the ones that still exist, that is.

Our next time is the New York Jets.
League Championships - 1 (1968)

Winners of Super Bowl III, one of the two most important football games, according to many. It's been a rough 50 seasons since then. No trips back to the big game. A long, long stint in QB hell. Hopefully for them, Darnold proves to be the real deal.

My Mount Rushmore would be: Joe Namath, Mark Gastineau, Don Maynard, Curtis Martin.  Honorable mention to Kevin Mawae and Revis Island.

Uniforms/Helmets - I'm a weirdo that likes what they were wearing in the 80s and most of the 90s. But their current/classic look is good as well.

Memorable games. In my life time? Not many.......

Super Bowl 3 is easily the most memorable Jets game, but I wasn't yet 15 months old, so it's obviously not personally memorable.  For personal reasons, I remember the 2011 playoff game when Mark Sanchez led the Jets over the Patriots (one of only two opening round losses for the Patriots in the Brady era).  That's about it, although I have a vague recollection of the Broncos spanking the Jets one year before playing Cleveland in the AFC Championship Game.

As far as Mt. Rushmore:  Joe Namath, Kevin Mawae, Mark Gastineau and Curtis Martin (although Maynard could easily make it).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #800 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
I was a nervous wreck during the whole first half of that 1998 AFCCG, but once the Broncos took the lead in the 3rd Q, I knew we had it.  :biggrin:

I was in the Bahamas that weekend on a work thing (back in the days when companies had more money than brains - or ethics sometimes!).  There were a TON of shit-your-pants drunk NY clowns there, constantly shouting J-E-T-S ... JETS/JETS/JETS.  God they were obnoxious.  Was so glad Denver put a beatin on them in the 2nd half.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #801 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:29 PM »

Memorable games:  the only one that comes to mind is the one where Gary Anderson missed the chip shot kick, which I think sent Atlanta to the Super Bowl.

People love to blame that loss on Gary Anderson, but while that FG would have given them a 10-point lead with just over 2 minutes left, the defense then let the Falcons drive down for tying score, and then their record-setting offense had (I think) 3 possessions at the end of regulation and OT and was unable to get in position to win the game.  That game was there for the offense to win and they blew it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #802 on: June 04, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »

I was in the Bahamas that weekend on a work thing (back in the days when companies had more money than brains - or ethics sometimes!).  There were a TON of shit-your-pants drunk NY clowns there, constantly shouting J-E-T-S ... JETS/JETS/JETS.  God they were obnoxious.  Was so glad Denver put a beatin on them in the 2nd half.

You and me both.  Terrell Davis put the hurting on Belichick's defense that day. :hat :coolio

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #803 on: June 04, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
RIP Dwight Clark...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: June 04, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
That catch was my first, favorite moment in football as a kid.  I was 13.  R.I.P. Dwight.