3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185234 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
That's certainly fair. I wonder if they'll bring Gates back in now that Henry's injured.

Offline PowerSlave

I think I'd put Gates in there over Rivers.  Gates is one of the top 3 tight ends of his generation (along with Gronk and Gonzalez) and is a likely Hall of Famer right away, while Rivers will have a tough time making the Hall unless he wins a ring late in his career.

I think that he'll eventually make it into the HOF, but any player with a PED suspension can probably expect to wait a few years to be enshrined.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Rivers doesn't get anywhere NEAR my list, and if it was up to me, the only way he gets into the Hall is by buying a ticket with the rest of the fans.  Not a fan at all; unlike Fouts, who is on my list (and who I think IS a HoF'er) I think Rivers has consistently under-performed his entire career.   He hasn't won anything - and won't - and that's not for lack of talent around him or coaching.   I can't stand that whiney style of his.   There's not a game that goes by that the Chargers aren't in it near the end, but then they blow it, and there's one or two plays where he overthrows a receiver then bitches out the receiver, the linemen, the running back kept in to block, the OC, the head coach, the cheerleader for shaking her tail feather during the play...  WHAAAAAAAAAAAA.    Reminds me of Dan Marino without the lights out stats.

Fouts, LT, Seau, Lance Alworth, Kellen Winslow are my list.   Gates, Shawne Merriman, Charlie Joiner, even Rolf Benirschke... all belong on there before Rivers. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think I'd put Gates in there over Rivers.  Gates is one of the top 3 tight ends of his generation (along with Gronk and Gonzalez) and is a likely Hall of Famer right away, while Rivers will have a tough time making the Hall unless he wins a ring late in his career.

I think that he'll eventually make it into the HOF, but any player with a PED suspension can probably expect to wait a few years to be enshrined.

I am not sure that will matter.  Football HOF voters have their issues, but don't get on nearly as high a horse as baseball HOF voters (who I have no respect for).  The occasional PED suspension doesn't seem to really affect how football players are viewed, at least from what I can tell.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Regarding Rivers, I feel like he doesn’t really get enough credit. He never had a complete team around him and often was forced to carry inadequate Chargers teams. He’s like the AFC version of Romo. He’s the least successful of the big three quarterbacks drafted in 2004, but if you analyze the careers of Big Ben and Eli, you’ll see that most of their success came because they had a great team around them. The Giants won Super Bowl 42 because the defense sacked Brady six times and held one of the best offenses in NFL history to 14 points. The Steelers won Super Bowl 40 in spite of Roethlisberger, who set a record for worst passer rating by a winning QB in Super Bowl history. Eli and Ben are surefire Hall of Famers, possibly even first ballot Hall of Famers, yet Rivers has the more consistent stats. He just never had the great team around him like Ben and Eli did, save for 2006 and 2009. A lot of the Chargers playoff failures didn’t fall on his shoulders (the 2009 AFC Divisional Round loss to the Jets where Nate Kaeding missed three field goals in a game that they lost by 3 points comes to mind). Meanwhile, he carried some mediocre Chargers teams to moderate success, like taking the 2007 Chargers to the AFC Championship and playing the entire game with a torn ACL. Rivers is one of the best examples I can think of when talking about how individual performance matters. Football is the ultimate team game, and championship success doesn’t always dictate who the best players are. Sometimes a great team can carry a mediocre player to a title. It’s how guys like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler have a ring while guys like Dan Marino and Tony Gonzalez don’t. Philip Rivers has had a great career and had more individual success than both Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, but because he’s the only one of the three without a championship (at least as of this writing), his career will never be held in the same regard as them, which is a cruel fate for the most talented of the three QB’s who ended up on the worst team.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline PowerSlave

I'll agree that Ben had better teams around him than Rivers, but people tend to forget some things. Ben's play in the playoff run up to the SB against the Seahawks was quite good, but everyone ignores that because of his poor play in the final game. Then the other two seasons that they made it to a SB his playing ability also carried them through.

Keep in mind, the steelers had exceptional defenses throughout the 90's as well. Yet they couldn't get a ring until he entered the picture.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Regarding Rivers, I feel like he doesn’t really get enough credit. He never had a complete team around him and often was forced to carry inadequate Chargers teams. He’s like the AFC version of Romo. He’s the least successful of the big three quarterbacks drafted in 2004, but if you analyze the careers of Big Ben and Eli, you’ll see that most of their success came because they had a great team around them. The Giants won Super Bowl 42 because the defense sacked Brady six times and held one of the best offenses in NFL history to 14 points. The Steelers won Super Bowl 40 in spite of Roethlisberger, who set a record for worst passer rating by a winning QB in Super Bowl history. Eli and Ben are surefire Hall of Famers, possibly even first ballot Hall of Famers, yet Rivers has the more consistent stats. He just never had the great team around him like Ben and Eli did, save for 2006 and 2009. A lot of the Chargers playoff failures didn’t fall on his shoulders (the 2009 AFC Divisional Round loss to the Jets where Nate Kaeding missed three field goals in a game that they lost by 3 points comes to mind). Meanwhile, he carried some mediocre Chargers teams to moderate success, like taking the 2007 Chargers to the AFC Championship and playing the entire game with a torn ACL. Rivers is one of the best examples I can think of when talking about how individual performance matters. Football is the ultimate team game, and championship success doesn’t always dictate who the best players are. Sometimes a great team can carry a mediocre player to a title. It’s how guys like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler have a ring while guys like Dan Marino and Tony Gonzalez don’t. Philip Rivers has had a great career and had more individual success than both Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, but because he’s the only one of the three without a championship (at least as of this writing), his career will never be held in the same regard as them, which is a cruel fate for the most talented of the three QB’s who ended up on the worst team.

But to that... I would argue that performance on the field that translates into lights out stats is not necessarily the performance on the field that translates into WINS.     We can talk all day long about how great an athlete Romo is - and he is - but there's a point where the linebacker subconsciously knows he can take that chance, play with abandon, and turn in that great play knowing his QB is not going to do anything stupid, is not going to choke and no matter what, they'll still be in the game.     Brady does FAR more for New England than just taking snaps, handing off, and throwing 30-yard slant routes to Gronk.    That defense practices against Brady every week.    Brady makes his defense better.  (And lest you think I'm just fellating Brady, you could plug Ben, Manning (Peyton), Montana, Elway, McMahon, Aikman, Bradshaw... there's probably a half dozen others that fall into this list. QBs who have their teams back; there are a lot of things you can say about Rivers - and Marino - but I'm not sure that's one of them.)   Ask any of those players on those Marino team - and by the way, don't say they didn't have good teams around him; they were coached by perhaps the greatest coach in history until Belichick came along and Marks Duper and Clayton are nothing to sneeze at - whether they'd trade 15 of those 48 or 44 TDs for a Super Bowl ring and see what they'd say.

Offline pg1067

Don't know how much play we'll get on the weekend... but I said 32ish days, so here we are.

Today's team is the Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers.

I was gutted for the fans in San Diego. Sucks to lose your franchise.

Mt. Rushmore for me would be L.T., Junior Seau, Fouts & Rivers

Memorable games. The one Kev brought up a few days ago against Miami. Of course they had another classic playoff tilt years before that, but way before my time. Was certainly rooting for them in Super Bowl 29, but they were clearly on the wrong side of history for that one.

Uniforms... I'm an odd ball.... so for some reason the power blues aren't my favorite look... rather liked their look in the 90s.

My top Chargers games were the two playoff games against Miami and Cincinnati.  Also, when I was in 7th or 8th grade, I was in the band.  We had a concert with the school choir.  When the choir performed, they would walk out to the front of the stage in front of the band, and we would stay in our seats.  Someone had a portable radio built into a set of headphones, and we were listening to what I assume was Monday Night Football.  At some point, San Diego scored, and I loudly blurted out, "Touchdown San Diego!!"  Don't remember anything else about the game.

This is a tough Mt. Rushmore.  Difficult to leave off guys like Lance Alworth and Kellen Winslow, but I'm not sure which of the four listed I would replace.

Gates, Shawne Merriman, Charlie Joiner, even Rolf Benirschke... all belong on there before Rivers. 

ROTFL!!!  Are you that big of a Wheel of Fortune fan?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Not that (though I must note: Pat Sajak has the biggest head I've ever seen) but rather that he had a "Kock pouch" procedure and came back and led the Chargers in career scoring.   No one should have to go through a "Kock pouch" procedure. 

Offline busty sinclair

I'm the only chargers fan listed in the forum so i'll try to be subjective. My hall of fame is, winslow, fouts, alworth, rivers, seau, LT, gates. would love to add bosa to that eventually

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm the only chargers fan listed in the forum so i'll try to be subjective. My hall of fame is, winslow, fouts, alworth, rivers, seau, LT, gates. would love to add bosa to that eventually

I will believe it when you sing the "San Diego Super Chargers" song and post a video. :lol  I kid!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline busty sinclair

thats hilarious! i have been known to randomly put that in a bass line from time to time during a live jam.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Get out!  That's awesome!  I remember a guy posting a video of him singing it in a powder blue Mucha Lucha mask and suit.  It was hilarious.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline busty sinclair

oh man that is hilarious! i'm definitely not extroverted enough to do that... in public

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Today's team, the Houston Texans.

Starting play in 2002, the Texans got the league back to an even number of teams. No more week 1 or week 17 bye weeks for anyone!

The Oilers bolted for Tennessee in the mid-90s, and it was a relatively short wait to get a team back in one of the biggest markets in the country.

My Mount Rushmore would be Andre Johnson, J.J. Watt,  DeAndre Hopkins, DeMeco Ryans

Helmets and jerseys are okay. I preferred the white helmet that was in Madden 2002....

Memorable game.... recall a game with them and Jacksonville ending on a hail mary. Also was good to see them finally beat Indy.

This may be the next power in the AFC, if Watson is able to bounce back from his injury. Team is loaded and always needed a QB to get over the hump.

Offline pg1067

Today's team, the Houston Texans.

Starting play in 2002, the Texans got the league back to an even number of teams. No more week 1 or week 17 bye weeks for anyone!

The Oilers bolted for Tennessee in the mid-90s, and it was a relatively short wait to get a team back in one of the biggest markets in the country.

My Mount Rushmore would be Andre Johnson, J.J. Watt,  DeAndre Hopkins, DeMeco Ryans

Helmets and jerseys are okay. I preferred the white helmet that was in Madden 2002....

Memorable game.... recall a game with them and Jacksonville ending on a hail mary. Also was good to see them finally beat Indy.

I don't even know who DeMeco Ryans is.  I had to google to come up with a Mt. Rushmore:  Watt, Johnson, Arian Foster and Brian Cushing.  The biggest surprise is that this team has been around since 2002.  If you'd asked me five minutes ago, I'd have guessed maybe 2008 or so.  Can't think of a single memorable game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
I will say that Wilson vs. Watson from last year was one of the most exciting games of the regular season.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Texans are a team I always think they've turned a corner and will become a perennial favorite and never get over that hump.

Offline PowerSlave

The Texans are a team I always think they've turned a corner and will become a perennial favorite and never get over that hump.

Same here. They always seem to be on the verge.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You should internet, Twitter more.

Offline Rattlehead

Regarding Rivers, I feel like he doesn’t really get enough credit. He never had a complete team around him and often was forced to carry inadequate Chargers teams.

You made a lot of valid points in that post but I had to single out this part because Rivers definitely had a complete team in 2006 and 2009 off the top of my head. Both teams were one and done because Rivers couldn't do enough to lead them to victories against inferior opponents. I know he got some bad breaks (fumbled punt return in the Patriots game and Nate Kaeding missing a bunch of kicks in the Jets game), but both were one possession games when it was all said and done. Rivers was average at best in both games. I have a lot of respect for him at this point but Rivers always seems to underwhelm in playoff games unlike Eli or Ben. You also mentioned him taking the 2007 Chargers to the AFC Championship game, but Billy Volek actually engineered the game winning drive against the Colts at Indianapolis in the divisional round. I really can't think of a time when Rivers took over a playoff game like I've seen Ben or Eli do. Maybe I'm missing one because I'm too lazy to look it up right now  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Today's Team - The Jacksonville Jaguars

Only in business since the mid 90s, the Jaguars have more trips to their conference Championship Game (3) then many other teams during the same time period. The team looks to be on the rise after a long period of suck.

My Mount Rushmore = Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy Smith.  Honorable mention to Tom Coughlin, and acknowledgment that Jalen Ramsey has the potential to be even better than all the others.

Loved their original uniforms/helmets. The two-color helmets were horrid. Glad to see them get rid of them.

Memorable games... that playoff win vs. Denver, and the two wins vs. Pittsburgh last year.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #757 on: May 30, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »
Second the love for Coughlin.   

I'm mystified by how the Giants under him (with Manning, who I consider the real deal) were so up and down, but they do have two Super Bowls, and while everyone remembers "New England! HELMET!   Manningham!   Don't score!" for those, they were championship caliber seasons.   I think that up and down is the only thing that keep Coughlin from being mentioned among the greatest coaches of all time. 

My two cents.   

Oh, and Fred Taylor. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #758 on: May 30, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Future Hall of Famer and all-time great Blake Bortles has to be on the Jags Mount Rushmore.

Offline pg1067

Today's Team - The Jacksonville Jaguars

Only in business since the mid 90s, the Jaguars have more trips to their conference Championship Game (3) then many other teams during the same time period. The team looks to be on the rise after a long period of suck.

My Mount Rushmore = Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy Smith.  Honorable mention to Tom Coughlin, and acknowledgment that Jalen Ramsey has the potential to be even better than all the others.

Loved their original uniforms/helmets. The two-color helmets were horrid. Glad to see them get rid of them.

Memorable games... that playoff win vs. Denver, and the two wins vs. Pittsburgh last year.

Since "memorable" doesn't necessarily mean good, I suppose Denver's loss in the playoffs is probably the most memorable Jags game (the only other Jags game I can remember at all is the playoff game against Pittburgh.

As far as a Mt. Rushmore, the first name that comes to mind when I think of the Jags is Mark Brunell.  Other names that come to mind are Maurice Jones-Drew, Tony Boselli and Fred Taylor, so that sounds good.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #760 on: May 30, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
Some memorable games for me (that haven't already been mentioned) include the win vs the Colts in 2006 towards the end of the season when Jones Drew and Taylor ran all over them. Jones Drew and Taylor combined for 297 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs on a combined 24 carries! That same season the Jags went into Pittsburgh and beat them in the Wild Card round, which was also a really fun game to watch.

I think Maurice Jones Drew deserves an honorable mention here, he had some really excellent seasons with them and carried their offense on his back for years. From 2009-2011 he had over 1,300 rushing yards each season and 34 total touchdowns in that 3 year span  :o

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #761 on: May 30, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »
Future Hall of Famer and all-time great Blake Bortles has to be on the Jags Mount Rushmore.

This is why we can't have nice things  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #762 on: May 30, 2018, 05:51:13 PM »

??? ???

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #763 on: May 31, 2018, 02:56:47 AM »

??? ???

Don't mind me, I'm just being silly.

Bottles shredding the Steelers secondary really wasn't that surprising in hind sight. In fact, outside of the eagles in the NFC championship game I didn't notice very much impressive defensive play by any team in last year's playoffs. The Patriots were good at times, but that was partly due to their opponents.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #764 on: May 31, 2018, 05:56:35 AM »
There is no shame in getting shredded by Blake Bortles. There’s gonna come a day, likely very soon, where even guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Joe Montana are all gonna wish they had played the QB position as well as Blake Bortles did.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #765 on: May 31, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »
There is no shame in getting shredded by Blake Bortles. There’s gonna come a day, likely very soon, where even guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Joe Montana are all gonna wish they had played the QB position as well as Blake Bortles did.

:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: May 31, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »

Get this man into the concussion protocol right away! :lol

Kev, stop using sarcasm.  You'll confuse many here! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: May 31, 2018, 07:24:52 AM »
I'm so petty; I just have a hard time rooting for a guy named "Blake Bortles".    Doesn't roll off the tongue like "Bradshaw", or "Staubach" or "Montana"... those sound like sheriffs from the wild, wild west that you wouldn't f*** with.   "Bortles" sounds like something from "Barney the Purple Dinosaur".

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: May 31, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
Today's team - The Atlanta Falcons!

If anyone hasn't caught on, or hasn't cared too, every team so far has failed to win a league championship. Atlanta was tantalizingly close to getting one. No, not at Super Bowl XXXIII, where they stole Minnesota's ticket and got bitchslapped by the Broncos. Two seasons ago.... 28-3.... you know the rest.

My Mount Rushmore would be Deion Sanders, Michael Vick and Julio Jones as the no brainers. As far as a 4th goes... I'll give it to Jessie Tuggle, but it could have as easily have been Morten Anderson, Matt Ryan or maybe even Andre Rison.

Loved the 90s look of black jerseys and the helmets that went with 'em. Don't care much for the other jerseys.

Memorable games.... 28-3! The NFC Championship game against Minnesota. That playoff game where Vick won at Lambeau.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #769 on: May 31, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
Today's team - The Atlanta Falcons!

If anyone hasn't caught on, or hasn't cared too, every team so far has failed to win a league championship. Atlanta was tantalizingly close to getting one. No, not at Super Bowl XXXIII, where they stole Minnesota's ticket and got bitchslapped by the Broncos. Two seasons ago.... 28-3.... you know the rest.

My Mount Rushmore would be Deion Sanders, Michael Vick and Julio Jones as the no brainers. As far as a 4th goes... I'll give it to Jessie Tuggle, but it could have as easily have been Morten Anderson, Matt Ryan or maybe even Andre Rison.

Loved the 90s look of black jerseys and the helmets that went with 'em. Don't care much for the other jerseys.

Memorable games.... 28-3! The NFC Championship game against Minnesota. That playoff game where Vick won at Lambeau.

"This one's for [the fans]!"  Pat Bowlen, 1/31/99

To me, that's the most memorable Falcons games.  Super Bowl 51 would be next on the list.

Mount Rushmore:  Steve Bartkowski, Matt Ryan, Deion "Give me a 'U'!" Sanders and Tim Mazzetti.