3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185181 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Favorite Panther:   Jake Delhomme

Least favorite Panther player in the history of the NFL:   Cam Newton

Greatest thing to have happened during a Panther game:   Cam playing like a fourth grader in Super Bowl L; Janet Jackson sharing one of her nipples with all of us during Super Bowl XXXVIII

I lived in Charlotte for about four years, and went to several games; BEAUTIFUL stadium, and very well laid out.   LOVED going there for games.   Like their uniforms and color scheme as well.

Offline mikeyd23

Here's the owner's attempt to "fix" the national anthem situation -

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

Offline pg1067

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

Kneeling quietly is not the slightest bit "disrespectful" to the Anthem (or to any person or group of persons).  This new "policy" is beyond dumb.  The best way to "fix" the situation is to do nothing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kaos2900

I have no problem with this. The rule is that if you're on the field for the anthem you show "proper respect" but it doesn't force you to be on the field. Also, it fines the teams not the individual. Makes sense.

Offline kaos2900

Kneeling quietly is not the slightest bit "disrespectful" to the Anthem (or to any person or group of persons).  This new "policy" is beyond dumb.  The best way to "fix" the situation is to do nothing.

It may not be disrespectful to you but it's seen as disrespectful to a shit load of people. There are other ways to actually make a difference than kneeling.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
They have literally 6 other days a week to protest whatever they want and literally an entire off-season to do so as well. Kudos to the ones who are actually in the community helping bring real change. To the clowns that just kneeled in week 3 because their President called them out, I'm elated for this ruling.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Let's remember those rules next time a prom kid uses a stereotype to ask his girl to the dance.   Or any of the 100 other examples of people being offended over everything from "racial slurs" to "it's Wednesday". 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Because how better to celebrate freedom than shutting up and doing as you're told.

The interesting thing to me will be if entire teams remain in the lockerroom. Aside form avoiding the circle-jerk and accompanying distraction, you get 5 more minutes of prep-time. I was hoping the league would go that route, but they chickened out. Moreover, this won't really appease the people who "WILL NEVER WATCH FOOTBALL AGAIN!" It's not the mandatory respect that they want, it only hides the problem, and it only came as a result of a perceived financial loss to the league.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
They have literally 6 other days a week to protest whatever they want and literally an entire off-season to do so as well. Kudos to the ones who are actually in the community helping bring real change. To the clowns that just kneeled in week 3 because their President called them out, I'm elated for this ruling.

Hey Rosa, I know you're not happy with the bussing situation, but could you perhaps protest at home where it doesn't have to bother any of us?

Because how better to celebrate freedom than shutting up and doing as you're told.

The interesting thing to me will be if entire teams remain in the lockerroom.

That is the best that could come of this decision.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
As I said in FB, the fact that this is even an issue simply eats away at the ZERO FUCK'S I have for the NFL.

What a fucking gong-show.

Thank God I can count on EB to articulate my thoughts more poetically.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It's amazing to me that no other league (Including the NBA) have issues like the NFL.  Shit show from the owners to the league offices. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Hey Rosa, I know you're not happy with the bussing situation, but could you perhaps protest at home where it doesn't have to bother any of us?

I wasn't aware that Rosa Parks worked on that bus.

We're talking about employees protesting on company time.....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Not at all the same thing. 

More like "Hey Rosa, I know you're not happy with, uh, something, so in order to bring the consequences to your actions back in line with those actions, and to minimize the egregious consequences to those of us that aren't party to your protest of, uh, I know you told us, but it's not entirely clear, we're going to give you an opportunity to speak your piece in a way that minimizes the bullying - inadvertent or otherwise - and more directly focuses the type and degree of the consequences for your speech. Thank you."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
It's amazing to me that no other league (Including the NBA) have issues like the NFL.  Shit show from the owners to the league offices.

No other league has Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, and Dan Snyder.

Seriously, though, the NFL brings in 50% more revenue than baseball, and more revenue than basketball, hockey, soccer, and the CFL combined.  TV revenue is more than DOUBLE ALL the other big time sports combined.    Their average attendance is more than double the next closest (baseball).   Six of the top ten franchises in the US are football clubs, including number one, the Dallas Cowboys.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

No other league has Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, and Dan Snyder.

Seriously, though, the NFL brings in 50% more revenue than baseball, and more revenue than basketball, hockey, soccer, and the CFL combined.  TV revenue is more than DOUBLE ALL the other big time sports combined.    Their average attendance is more than double the next closest (baseball).   Six of the top ten franchises in the US are football clubs, including number one, the Dallas Cowboys.

And there is your answer.  They can fuck up all the time and it doesn't matter.  I would rather have my politics separate from my sports but the owners and the league office can do that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Not at all the same thing. 

More like "Hey Rosa, I know you're not happy with, uh, something, so in order to bring the consequences to your actions back in line with those actions, and to minimize the egregious consequences to those of us that aren't party to your protest of, uh, I know you told us, but it's not entirely clear, we're going to give you an opportunity to speak your piece in a way that minimizes the bullying - inadvertent or otherwise - and more directly focuses the type and degree of the consequences for your speech. Thank you."
Hey, wait, it's Kap and the like that are bullying here? No shit? The Goddamned president called for them to be fired if they didn't toe the line like good little Americans. People are boycotting the sport because it's not nationalistic enough. There's apparently evidence of collusion against the protesters now. I don't now. I don't feel bullied by a guy kneeling while I suffer through some pointless pageantry.

Also, the egregious consequences you refer are more like "Damn, Rosa, you're really making us look bad. We don't want to get involved, but there are a ton of people angry at us for not taking you out and hanging you. Maybe could you just stay home and leave us out of it?"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pointless pageantry El Barto that the league received money from our government for and then had to stop taking the money after the outcry. 

Offline pg1067

Whether something is disrespectful and whether it is interpreted by a biased observer as such are very different things.  Lots of folks think kneeling is more respectful than standing.

I happen to think that this is a dumb way to protest what is being protested -- among other things because it would have been obvious to anyone with a shred of brain capacity that this particular manner of protest had far more likelihood to offend people than it did to do any good -- but the NFL's reaction to this is even dumber.  Yes, the players are employees protesting on company time, but it's not like they're calling timeouts in the middle of games so that they can drag banners onto the field.  All they're doing is choosing one body posture over another during a time when they're not actually performing their job duties.  Can you imagine any other (non-military) employer trying to compel its employees to assume a particular body posture in reverence of a flag or any other symbol and then fining those employees who choose to adopt a different body posture?  It's utterly ridiculous, and it's even more ridiculous that the NFL thinks it can force this on the players without collective bargaining in the guise of "game operations."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The NBA has basically had the same rule for decades.  I know this is a bigger deal because of the last two years, but an employer expecting an employee to not do something that they makes them look bad is not unheard of.  In fact, just about any employer will frown greatly on anything that makes them look bad.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Image is important.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The NBA has basically had the same rule for decades.  I know this is a bigger deal because of the last two years, but an employer expecting an employee to not do something that they makes them look bad is not unheard of.  In fact, just about any employer will frown greatly on anything that makes them look bad.

Though the NBA allows the players to wear t shirts pre game and writing on their sneakers.   The NBA can get it right.  Why can't the NFL?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Image is important.

I now have the urge to masturbate to Phoebe Cates.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Do it moving in stereo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Though the NBA allows the players to wear t shirts pre game and writing on their sneakers.   The NBA can get it right.  Why can't the NFL?

It's not called the No Fun League for nothing.

Offline kaos2900

The thing I don't understand is that no one is forcing the players to play football. It's not a right to be an NFL Player last I checked. If they don't like the rules quit and form their own league. Being an NFL Player is a job and just like with any job there are rules setup and enforced by the employer. If the employee doesn't like it they can quit or get fired for breaking the rules. And of course the race baiting masters (CNN & ESPN) are milking this for all it's worth portraying this as the old racist white owners silencing the majority black work force. Not everyone may agree but to me using the national anthem time to showcase your political beliefs is disrespectful. I could care less what your skin color is or what the action is.

Someone mentioned above that the NBA allows players to where shirts/shoes during pre-game warm-ups. I have no problem with that because it's not during the anthem. I'm unaware if there is such a rule in the NFL prohibiting this.

Let's forget about the anthem for a second. Why in the world is it so hard to do anything now a days with out getting blasted with political opinions and social activism. Life's hard and the world is fucked up (that's not going to change). Is it so wrong to want to go an enjoy a movie or sporting event to just have fun and escape the pressures of life without getting people pushing their beliefs and issues on others?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is where the problem lies.  The NBA is smart enough to work with the players to allow during those times.  How has the NFL handling anything?  It's a cluster fuck. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Is it so wrong to want to go an enjoy a movie or sporting event to just have fun and escape the pressures of life without getting people pushing their beliefs and issues on others?

Precisely... and that's what the owners are doing - it's just the other side of the same coin.  The owners collaborated and collectively decided that kneeling was disrespectful, and are thus forcing their beliefs on the entirety of the employee base.

King's right... the NFL has cluster-fucked every goddamn step of this issue.  I don't know what the right/best response was or should be, but it sure as hell wasn't anything that they have done or are doing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Is it so wrong to want to go an enjoy a movie or sporting event to just have fun and escape the pressures of life without getting people pushing their beliefs and issues on others?

Precisely... and that's what the owners are doing - it's just the other side of the same coin.  The owners collaborated and collectively decided that kneeling was disrespectful, and are thus forcing their beliefs on the entirety of the employee base.
Exactly. As bothered as some people are by people not going through the proper song and dance during the anthem, I'm just as annoyed by having to put up with the pageantry. When I do go to a sporting event I try and make a point to be in the head or in line for a beer when that nonsense is going on, simply because I don't want to be subjected to forced patriotism. The league started this when it decided that cash from the armed forces was worth making everybody put on a five minute dog and pony show.

Put another way, the league has ~300 days a year it can wave the flag and suck military cock. It should do it on its own damn time, rather than forcing it on me when I'm just trying to watch a football game.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Basically, cash for feigned patriotism.  That's what's upsetting as a fan.  My tax dollars are given to these owners when they already take money from me when I go to these games. 

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I thought this was a good read this morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/nfl-kneeling-isnt-just-a-protest-its-a-plea/2018/05/23/a2768b5c-5ec5-11e8-a4a4-c070ef53f315_story.html?utm_term=.87049d592b7b

I was proud/glad to see the Jets acting owner come out and say that he was fine if his players decided they still wanted to kneel and that he'd be OK with paying the fines. Especially surprising considering his brother (the team's actual owner) is currently serving in the Trump administration.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Harmony

So will the concessions people be closing up shop during the playing of the anthem?  Will the bathrooms be closed?  Will the merchandisers stop taking money for that cool foam finger?  Asking for a friend.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
At this point, the anthem's in NA sport are an antiquated tradition.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Euro footy games have an anthem; International Hockey sure doesn't (not sure if the KHL does).  Didn't all this start during/after WWII as a way to bring about national unity?  Now it's just a symbolic moment to start the athletic proceedings - like flicking the lights at the Theater so everyone knows the show's about to start.

Just blow a bloody foghorn, ffs.

Offline mikeyd23

So will the concessions people be closing up shop during the playing of the anthem?  Will the bathrooms be closed?  Will the merchandisers stop taking money for that cool foam finger?  Asking for a friend.

Nope. I guess if the owner of the team hosting the game wanted those things to stop during the anthem, they could do that. But that would cost them money, so they won't. That's the reason for this decision about kneeling, they are afraid to lose money from ticket buyers, from the government and from TV revenues.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

King's right... the NFL has cluster-fucked every goddamn step of this issue.  I don't know what the right/best response was or should be, but it sure as hell wasn't anything that they have done or are doing.

I don't think that's entirely true (your first paragraph), at least from the perspective of the fan.  I think one way of looking at this is that the league has taken the bullet and taken the discussion OFF the field.  We can debate all day the relative rights of the players versus the owners, but at least for the 2 minutes of the anthem (as stretched out to 9 minutes by excruciatingly melismatic singing) we are free of the discussion at that moment in time, at least for the time being.

I don't know; I still see the league being in the right in terms of being able to prescribe what players do on company time, but I'm softening on the idea of the kneel.   I think it's all subjective, and while I personally would stand, out of respect for the fans and those that have served our country, as I recognize the right of racists to be racist, I recognize the right of the players to express their patriotism as they see fit, short of disruptive ACTION. 

Honestly, the mental state of Sir Thomas of Brady is FAR more disruptive to me than this whole anthem thingy. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

I don't think that's entirely true (your first paragraph), at least from the perspective of the fan. I think one way of looking at this is that the league has taken the bullet and taken the discussion OFF the field.  We can debate all day the relative rights of the players versus the owners, but at least for the 2 minutes of the anthem (as stretched out to 9 minutes by excruciatingly melismatic singing) we are free of the discussion at that moment in time, at least for the time being.

I don't know; I still see the league being in the right in terms of being able to prescribe what players do on company time, but I'm softening on the idea of the kneel.   I think it's all subjective, and while I personally would stand, out of respect for the fans and those that have served our country, as I recognize the right of racists to be racist, I recognize the right of the players to express their patriotism as they see fit, short of disruptive ACTION. 

Honestly, the mental state of Sir Thomas of Brady is FAR more disruptive to me than this whole anthem thingy.
Which is what makes this a highly dubious response. They hid the problem away which won't make either side happy.
E.F. Benson