3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 186734 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Witten Quittin'
« Reply #630 on: May 22, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
 :lol

I personally think Guerrero was interfering with the staff and players were following his directives and that's when BB had enough.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #631 on: May 22, 2018, 07:18:44 AM »
I personally think Guerrero was interfering with the staff and players were following his directives and that's when BB had enough.

Oh, I totally agree. You can see why Belichick put the hammer down. It's a tough situation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #632 on: May 22, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »
Ah, when your biggest worry as a Pats fan is Brady missing OTAs, must be nice.  :lol

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh, we are wondering if our RB will show up for the first game of the year or not.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: May 22, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »
Ah, when your biggest worry as a Pats fan is Brady missing OTAs, must be nice.  :lol

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh, we are wondering if our RB will show up for the first game of the year or not.

:lol  Seriously and Big Ben going off in public about the Steelers picking a QB in the draft and a receiver using Facebook live at the most inopportune time....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #634 on: May 22, 2018, 08:00:12 AM »
:lol  Seriously and Big Ben going off in public about the Steelers picking a QB in the draft and a receiver using Facebook live at the most inopportune time....

Eh, I actually see where Ben was coming from with that. He realizes they have a shot to win another Super Bowl before he retires if they fill in the gaps, instead they use a pick on a QB. Meanwhile his D will still suck next year...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: May 22, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
There was all this talk that the Pats needed to Draft a QB while others were saying what you said, draft for Brady's last few years to give them a chance to win one more.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #636 on: May 22, 2018, 08:15:10 AM »
There was all this talk that the Pats needed to Draft a QB while others were saying what you said, draft for Brady's last few years to give them a chance to win one more.

Yeah, and I guess there's an argument to be made for both sides and it's probably situational.

For the Steelers and the Pats right now, they aren't picking near the top of the draft so the likelihood of them getting some stud QB that will be able to start and actually be good is slim. I'd rather those teams fill in the gaps while they have good QBs still and then suck for a couple years and get to draft high.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #637 on: May 22, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »

Why draft a QB when they have that really good kid waiting to take over? OH WAIT. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #638 on: May 22, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »

Damn, is it football season already?

Figured you guys were used to this by now.

If TB thinks the Guerrero thing is hurting the team, this is how he handles it? Spite much?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #639 on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
If TB thinks the Guerrero thing is hurting the team, this is how he handles it? Spite much?

You know, we kill athletes for stuff like this. Brady definitely does come off as thinking he's "above it all".

Will be interesting to see what happens when mandatory camps start.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #640 on: May 22, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »

You know, we kill athletes for stuff like this. Brady definitely does come off as thinking he's "above it all".

He'll absolutely be at the mandatory practices. He still has an image to protect. He's making a statement now, and when the time comes he'll play football like he always has. At the same time, he's opened the door for endless speculation, and that's all on him. If he gets injured early: "well, it might have to do with all the conditioning he skipped." If he sucks: "He should have spent more time working with his receivers." If the lockerroom falls apart: "he should have been the team leader he always was." Right or wrong the second-guessing will be there, and that's 100% on him. He'll deserve it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #641 on: May 22, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
Yes, totally, Bart.

A lot of people thought he'd be here this week.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #642 on: May 22, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »

General comment or directed at me and Steelers fans? Personally, I don't care if Bell doesn't show up till the season begins, the question is whether he'll show up for the start of the regular season or not. Once again, personally, I don't much care. I don't think the Steelers should have tagged him again anyway.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #643 on: May 22, 2018, 09:00:53 AM »

General comment or directed at me and Steelers fans? Personally, I don't care if Bell doesn't show up till the season begins, the question is whether he'll show up for the start of the regular season or not. Once again, personally, I don't much care. I don't think the Steelers should have tagged him again anyway.
Just seems to me like Bell is a holdout threat every season.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: May 22, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »

Why draft a QB when they have that really good kid waiting to take over? OH WAIT. :D

You're Welcome.

They couldn't keep both.  As you saw what Jimmy G was paid.  The Pats should have traded him last off season for a bigger return.  Obviously BB didn't want to let him go.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #645 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
Just seems to me like Bell is a holdout threat every season.

He is. And I think I've ranted about this here before, so I'll hold back but I'd definitely prefer it if Bell weren't a Steeler anymore for a variety of reasons.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: May 22, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »

He'll absolutely be at the mandatory practices. He still has an image to protect. He's making a statement now, and when the time comes he'll play football like he always has. At the same time, he's opened the door for endless speculation, and that's all on him. If he gets injured early: "well, it might have to do with all the conditioning he skipped." If he sucks: "He should have spent more time working with his receivers." If the lockerroom falls apart: "he should have been the team leader he always was." Right or wrong the second-guessing will be there, and that's 100% on him. He'll deserve it.

Brady has all the power to act this way now since the threat of a back up like Jimmy G is gone.  Now that he's done this he'd better perform on the field like he has the last 4 years or he'll get slaughters by the media and fans here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #647 on: May 22, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »

You're Welcome.

They couldn't keep both.  As you saw what Jimmy G was paid.  The Pats should have traded him last off season for a bigger return.  Obviously BB didn't want to let him go.
If Bill really thought he was the QB of the future he should have kept him and given him Brady's money. My hunch is that was the plan all along. If so, Brady and Kraft really screwed things up.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #648 on: May 22, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
If Bill really thought he was the QB of the future he should have kept him and given him Brady's money. My hunch is that was the plan all along. If so, Brady and Kraft really screwed things up.

Well, yeah. Pretty much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: May 22, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
Oh no doubt.  Though look at the level Brady has played.  Can you think of another QB that got traded or became a free agent that played at this level?  Even Montana was injured the year before he went to KC.  This is uncharted waters right now.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: May 22, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »
I thought maybe we can pass the time with some Mount Rushmores. The previous user posts the team. You post your top 4 people (players/coach/owner/etc) for that team, and anything else (honorable mention, personal favorites, team specific memory. Etc). Afterwards, you pick the franchise for the next person to tackle.

Instead... let's do 32 teams in 32 days!

I'll start with the Buffalo Bills

Mount Rushmore - Bruce Smith, OJ Simpson, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas

My personal favorite Bill of all time, Andre Reed.

Favorite Bills game.... the Comeback!

Talk all things Bills!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:39:46 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread
« Reply #651 on: May 22, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »
DOC.  From my trip to Buffalo last year.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: May 22, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
That's awesome. How did the fans treat ya? I'm sure there are good and bad home fans in every NFL stadium.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: May 22, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
I had a blast there.  At first they'd boo you, but you go up to them, talk, have fun and they opened up.  I saw 3 tables broken by the Bill's Mafia, 3 arrests, one for punching a police horse.  LOL  I had my fun razzing them, they'd razz back in good natured fun. I absolutely loved going there.  It was 25 years since the last time I went there.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: May 22, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »
25 years..... so in the midst of their 4 year run and coming into the beginning of the Bledsoe era. Bet Bills fans felt sorry for you back then.  5 SB Championships later, not so much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: May 22, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
First year with Bledsoe.  Yeah, that was the last year they went to the Superbowl.  I still can't believe they went to 4 SB's in a row never to win.  That team was dynamite.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
The Bills' jerseys/helmet from that era are among my favorite in league history.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I recently saw a sports doc on that bill team.  It was fun to remember. I even liked Marv Leavy as a coach.  Their GM though, I came to despise him when he went to another team.  Any guesses who that was?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #658 on: May 22, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
I'll start with the Buffalo Bills

Mount Rushmore - Bruce Smith, OJ Simpson, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas

My personal favorite Bill of all time, Andre Reed.

I initially thought maybe OJ was the weak link here.  He didn't make the Bills 50th Anniversary Team, but I assume that was for non-football reasons and that he would've made it but for those reasons.  My gut made me think of Andre Reed, Joe DeLamielleure or even Steve Tasker over OJ.  I'd definitely put Marv Levy up there over OJ, but I suppose we're limiting it to players only.

But I then looked up OJ's stats.  His prime years were 1972-76.  During that five year stretch, he rushed for 7,699 yards.  Seems like a lot -- especially when you consider there were only 14 games in a season back then, so he did that in only 70 games.  On the other hand, that only works out to 110 yards per game, which doesn't sound like much until you realize that only Jim Brown averaged more than 100 yards per game (104.3 -- OJ averaged 83.2 yards per game over his career).  He had 1,513 carries in those five years, which works out to 5.09 yards per carry.  Michael Vick is the NFL's all-time leader in yards per carry (7.0), and OJ averaged 4.7 for his career (Marion Motley averaged 5.7, Jim Brown averaged 5.2, and Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders averaged 5.0).

All in all, I'll agree with your Mount Rushmore (although OJ's likeness should include mini likenesses of DeLamielleure and Reggie McKenzie).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Favorite Bill... Conelius Bennet. Something about that dude I liked better than Smith.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #660 on: May 22, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

Eh, I actually see where Ben was coming from with that. He realizes they have a shot to win another Super Bowl before he retires if they fill in the gaps, instead they use a pick on a QB. Meanwhile his D will still suck next year...

Maybe Tomlin should do his job and coach up the defense for once...;)

I thought Ben's comment was out of bounds.  He has the tendency to get hurt, so drafting a guy kinda early makes it more likely that they have a good backup for when he misses a few games again.  Ben has always been a drama queen, though.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Reports are that Hunter Henry may be out for the season. That sucks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #662 on: May 23, 2018, 07:03:26 AM »
Maybe Tomlin should do his job and coach up the defense for once...;)

I thought Ben's comment was out of bounds.  He has the tendency to get hurt, so drafting a guy kinda early makes it more likely that they have a good backup for when he misses a few games again.  Ben has always been a drama queen, though.

You know I'm not a big fan of Tomlin, but in his defense, you can only work with what you got.

On Ben - he used to push the boundaries, he's actually settled down over the last several years (got married has kids now) - at this point everything he says is calculated and often he says things just to mess with the media. The franchise QB can tongue and cheek comment about a draft pick, I'm good with that. Also - there's absolutely no reason to think this kid will come into a game in relief of an injury and perform any better than the backup(s) they have now.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Day 2 - The Carolina Panthers

Things have been crazy since going 15-1 and making the Super Bowl.  Josh Norman wore out his welcome, and now, Jerry Richardson is selling his team.

My Panthers' Mount Rushmore would be Steve Smith Sr, Julius Peppers, Sam Mills, Cam Newton

I've always LOVED this team's look. Helmet, jerseys, alternates. It's all fantastic in my opinion.

Favorite Panthers related games.... I enjoyed the Steve Beuerlein led teams. Seem to recall him getting a big win @Green Bay in the cold when that used to be a tough accomplishment. Was also rooting for them to beat the Pats in SB 38.

Offline busty sinclair

Reports are that Hunter Henry may be out for the season. That sucks.

:sad:

one of my favorite chargers. he is supposed to get a second opinion so maybe he could make a comeback late in the season. fingers crossed. it looks like gates will be probably coming back now.