3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185176 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Draft
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
Gurley, Zeke and Fournette have proven the value of taking a RB high if he has all world talent, which is what Barkley seems to possess.

But to play the devil's advocate, when is the last time a RB taken in the top 10 helped his team win a Super Bowl?

Shit, when was the last time a PSU running back had ANY success in the NFL?  :lol  There's no doubt there's more value at a QB than RB, but RB is a need today.  The Giants feel they have a QB for a couple more years.  I'm on the fence about that.  Eli is not the reason the Giants were garbage last year, but regardless, he is old and at the end of his career.  If the Giants draft an OL today and with Solder, they are upgraded where they needed it most and have all the skill to be explosive.  Will it come together?  Well nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, including the 5 QBs drafted last night. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
Gurley, Zeke and Fournette have proven the value of taking a RB high if he has all world talent, which is what Barkley seems to possess.

But to play the devil's advocate, when is the last time a RB taken in the top 10 helped his team win a Super Bowl?

Shit, when was the last time a PSU running back had ANY success in the NFL?  :lol  There's no doubt there's more value at a QB than RB, but RB is a need today.  The Giants feel they have a QB for a couple more years.  I'm on the fence about that.  Eli is not the reason the Giants were garbage last year, but regardless, he is old and at the end of his career.  If the Giants draft an OL today and with Solder, they are upgraded where they needed it most and have all the skill to be explosive.  Will it come together?  Well nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, including the 5 QBs drafted last night.

I personally believe that the Giants made the correct call. I think guys like Gurley, Zeke and Fournette have proven to be worth the investment. As you've pointed out, they got some help for the line, and if they can get some more tonight or tomorrow, they could be right back to being good next year.  And I still believe that NY is going to wind up being Dez Bryant's landing spot, even if it's on a 1 year "prove it" deal.

And as you've said before.... it is awesome to have your favorite college player drafted to your favorite NFL team. So I'm happy for you that it played out that way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #562 on: April 27, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
Yeah if I was the Browns and I really wanted Baker (*shudders*) I would have taken Barkley first and then taken Baker 4th cause he probably still would have been there. The Browns have a good o-line, Barkley would have been a HUGE asset for them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: April 27, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
And as you've said before.... it is awesome to have your favorite college player drafted to your favorite NFL team. So I'm happy for you that it played out that way.

I'm clearly a bit biased here as I mentioned so my fanboism is just gushing blue today.  I'm wearing my PSU big 10 champs tshirt too.  I feel like a kid getting candy and am definitely on the market for a #26 Giants jersey.  I think regardless, I'd be happy with the pick though even if I wasn't a die hard PSU fan.  I would have been happy with a QB or Chubb too if they went that direction.  The Giants aren't the Browns and I had confidence they wouldn't fuck this up.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #564 on: April 27, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »
Yeah if I was the Browns and I really wanted Baker (*shudders*) I would have taken Barkley first and then taken Baker 4th cause he probably still would have been there. The Browns have a good o-line, Barkley would have been a HUGE asset for them.
Exactly. I couldn't figure out why they didn't do that, other than they simply didn't have the cojones. Seemed pretty obvious to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: April 27, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »

I'm clearly a bit biased here as I mentioned so my fanboism is just gushing blue today.  I'm wearing my PSU big 10 champs tshirt too.  I feel like a kid getting candy and am definitely on the market for a #26 Giants jersey.  I think regardless, I'd be happy with the pick though even if I wasn't a die hard PSU fan.  I would have been happy with a QB or Chubb too if they went that direction.  The Giants aren't the Browns and I had confidence they wouldn't fuck this up.

Yeah, the Giants are not frequent shoppers in the Top 5 express for good reason. But really they could do no wrong. Barkley, Chubb or one of the top rated O-Linemen would have been fine.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #566 on: April 27, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »
Exactly. I couldn't figure out why they didn't do that, other than they simply didn't have the cojones. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

Yup

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: April 27, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »
I disagree.

If Dorsey's evaluations let him to believe that Mayfield was the best QB, then he did the right thing. No telling if the Jets preferred Mayfield over Darnold. Not worth the risk.

As for the cornerback. The position is a huge need for the team, and Dorsey gets credit for drafting Marcus Peters a few years ago. If he saw similar talent in Ward, the yes. Right call.

Running back was not a position of need for Cleveland, not with Hyde and Johnson Jr.. And even if it were, plenty of good RBs still available in day 2 and 3.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #568 on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
I disagree.

If Dorsey's evaluations let him to believe that Mayfield was the best QB, then he did the right thing. No telling if the Jets preferred Mayfield over Darnold. Not worth the risk.

As for the cornerback. The position is a huge need for the team, and Dorsey gets credit for drafting Marcus Peters a few years ago. If he saw similar talent in Ward, the yes. Right call.

Running back was not a position of need for Cleveland, not with Hyde and Johnson Jr.. And even if it were, plenty of good RBs still available in day 2 and 3.

So, basically...

For the record, I think Mayfield will be a flop regardless of whether he was the first, second, third, forth, whatever pick.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #569 on: April 27, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »
Only the Browns can have so many opportunities to get first choice of top talent from College and continue to make mind boggling decisions. I don't know if Mayfield will pan out or not, I'm leaning not, but in my opinion you pick the best player available unless you have zero need for that position. They have proven to be absolutely unable to pick a solid NFL caliber QB so why not not take the best Defensive player in the draft (Chubb) or best offensive player in the draft (Barkley)? I get that this was a QB heavy draft but NONE of these guys for sure franchise QBs. Pick the players you know can make your team better day one and either wait for late rounder QB or play the free agency market. It must truly be maddening to be a Browns fan.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #570 on: April 27, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »
Jason Witten has announced his retirement. Dude's been a helluva player for 15 years. Off to the greener pastures of a broadcast booth.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: April 27, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
Jason Witten has announced his retirement. Dude's been a helluva player for 15 years. Off to the greener pastures of a broadcast booth.

Great news as a Giants fan.  Guy was a beast who consistently pissed me off with his great playing.  He had a fantastic career.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #572 on: April 27, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Great news as a Giants fan.  Guy was a beast who consistently pissed me off with his great playing.  He had a fantastic career.

LOL. Apparently your Philadelphia compatriots feel the same way:

Jason Witten retires after 100 years in the NFL to join Monday Night Football, report says
Hard to believe this day has finally come.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: April 27, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »
 :lol it does feel like he's been terrorizing us for a 100 years.  I forgot what life was like without him

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #574 on: April 27, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
Darnold. My second choice (I wanted Baker Mayfield). But I'm absolutely thrilled, regardless. :tup

:hat
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: April 27, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
Darnold. My second choice (I wanted Baker Mayfield). But I'm absolutely thrilled, regardless. :tup

:hat

It's going to be a fun next 5 years or hopefully more for both the Giants and Jets.  You know there will always be comparisons and the question of whether or not the Giants should have taken Darnold.  We'll find out in a few years, but that discussion will last a lifetime

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »
The Eagles just owned the Cowboys, and it was glorious.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
Interesting article on 538 about drafting Barkley at #2 overall (written before the draft).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/heres-why-drafting-saquon-barkley-could-be-a-mistake/
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2018, 07:39:23 AM »

David Akers is now a legend in Philly.  That was savage, and I loved it. :metal :metal

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »

David Akers is now a legend in Philly.  That was savage, and I loved it. :metal :metal
Yeah, I admire the man's enthusiasm. It's been done before, Drew Pearson did it last year, but they picked the right man for the job who'd go out and enjoy every second of it. Good job.

Of course the problem is that while he's doing it he's standing directly under this.
The Cowboys don't hang division and conference championship banners.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: May 03, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »
Witten to the MNF broadcast booth has been made official. This means that there is a former Dallas Cowboy on  3 of the 4 networks' number 1 teams.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: May 03, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
Witten to the MNF broadcast booth has been made official. This means that there is a former Dallas Cowboy on  3 of the 4 networks' number 1 teams.

merica's team

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Witten Quittin'
« Reply #582 on: May 03, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »
The media's love and infatuation with anything Dallas Cowboys is why Witten will probably make the Hall of Fame right away, instead of being a borderline guy, which is what he is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: May 08, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #584 on: May 08, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
I thought this was funny. Love the Ghost pic and reference.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/twitter-roasts-brady-for-met-gala-outfit/ar-AAwV0IT?li=BBnba9I

How could it be the "Met Gala" without Benny Agbayani?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: May 08, 2018, 02:11:24 PM »
Mark Ingram suspended for the first four games of the season. Hopefully Kamara doesn't get hurt trying to do too much during that stretch.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #586 on: May 08, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »
The media's love and infatuation with anything Dallas Cowboys is why Witten will probably make the Hall of Fame right away, instead of being a borderline guy, which is what he is.

Uh oh!  Skip Bayless just went rogue and hacked Kev's account.  :rollin

I can't believe you're really saying that about one of the best TE's to ever play the game.  You're punkin' on him just cause he played for Dallas.  Pretty weak.  JW is a HoF caliber guy even if he was playing for the Browns.  Plus, he's one of the most likable guys in the league, so your media comment makes no sense either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online pg1067

« Reply #587 on: May 08, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »

Borderline?

Who's better?

Witten is #2 among tight ends (behind ToGo) on the all time receptions and receiving yards lists and #5 (behind ToGo, Gates, Gronk and Graham) on the touchdown receptions list (and he's 4th all time in receptions regardless of position).  In 15 NFL seasons, he was an 11 time Pro Bowler and was a first or second team All-Pro four times.  If those aren't HoF credentials, I don't know what are.

The tight ends currently in the HoF are Dave Casper, Mike Ditka, John Mackey, Ozzie Newsome, Charlie Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, Jackie Smith and Kellen Winslow.  The careers of Ditka, Mackey, Sanders and Smith were over (or almost over) before I started following football, but Witten's career is unquestionably favorable in comparison to those of Casper, Newsome, Sharpe and Winslow.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »
He never won anything, I think that's why he's borderline, but makes the cut IMO. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #589 on: May 08, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »
You can't compare stats from tight ends across generations, considering how much passing numbers have gone up in the last 20 years.

I don't put stock in pro bowls made, so let's focus on just the All-Pro selections.  Witten was first or second All-Pro four times in 15 years.  That's it?  In the last 15 years, that puts him behind Tony Gonzalez, Gronk and Antonio Gates. 

68 touchdown catches in 15 years?  Sorry, but a TE averaging less than 5 touchdowns a season is not a no-brain HOFer in my book.  Sure, he had a lot of catches, but that says more about his durability than anything else.

He is kind of like the TE equivalent of Jerome Bettis: a compiler who put up really good numbers overall because he played for so long, but was never really in the "best in the league" conversation.

Like I said, I think he is a borderline guy and I'd probably put him in eventually, but this talk of him being a first ballot guy just doesn't make sense, to me anyway.  I could be wrong. :biggrin: :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #590 on: May 09, 2018, 08:16:50 AM »
Like I said, I think he is a borderline guy and I'd probably put him in eventually, but this talk of him being a first ballot guy just doesn't make sense, to me anyway.  I could be wrong. :biggrin: :lol
I think you are, as was said, dumping on him for playing for the Cowboys, but at the end of the day I think isn't too far off the mark. The question isn't whether or not he gets in, he does, but whether he deserves to get in on his first shot. I suspect he doesn't.

And as we saw from some of the comments here, ask people from NY and Phi what they think of the guy. He might not have put up Gonzalez numbers, but he definitely won games for his team.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #591 on: May 09, 2018, 08:17:52 AM »
Kinda with Kev on this one.   I'm also stealing that word "compiler".  You see that in baseball.   I feel like Cal Ripken, Jr. is the paradigm of a "compiler".   

Online pg1067

« Reply #592 on: May 09, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
There are only Hall of Famers.  There's no distinction between a "first ballot" guy and someone who took a while to get in.

He certainly wasn't the best tight end ever and maybe was never the best tight end any year he played, but dude is unquestionably a HoF'er.  The fact that he played at the same time as four other guys who are also HoF'ers doesn't change that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #593 on: May 09, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
There are only Hall of Famers.  There's no distinction between a "first ballot" guy and someone who took a while to get in.

He certainly wasn't the best tight end ever and maybe was never the best tight end any year he played, but dude is unquestionably a HoF'er.  The fact that he played at the same time as four other guys who are also HoF'ers doesn't change that.
I read an article about this very thing last week. Among the voting members there's a very solid difference of opinion on that. To the tune of about 50/50. Some view it as you do. Others think there's a very specific honor to being first balloter and will vote accordingly to make you wait if they find you unworthy of that honor.

They're also split on Witten in that regard.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #594 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm with el Barto on this one (or at least his point).  "First ballot" is a thing.