3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185159 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Trades and FA Madness
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2018, 06:30:06 AM »
Ha! I like the video game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2018, 06:33:34 AM »
I do too.  His talent is from the Gods but he is so fragile upstairs.  He'll turn into Dez Bryant  if he doesn't produce on the field again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2018, 07:39:07 AM »
Even if he does produce.  He's had his moments even when he's played fairly well. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
It's a love hate relationship with him.  Guy needs so much attention and he deserves a lot, but he really needs to grow up before the NY fan base turns on him.  He's already got a lot of dislike even though he's the most electric player of any sport in the NYC area.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2018, 10:52:30 AM »
I should point out that there are a handful of players who are so exciting and so good that they can usually get me to tune in, even if the matchup is poor:

Odell Beckham

There is nothing that would make me want to watch him.

Even if a net attacked him?

Or Frankie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
Dez dropped it. Dez got dropped.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:08 PM »
Dez being cut is good for both parties. The Cowboys couldn't afford to pay him 12.5, and no other team would be dumb enough to.

That said, he's a better receiver than he is regarded down here. Much like Romo the locals all think he sucks. Far from it. Jerry did him a huge disservice by appointing him the new Jesus when he was drafted. He was touted as the heir apparent to Drew Pearson and Michael Irvin, and people had that standard stuck in their head which is unrealistic, and unfair to him.

Personally, I thought he was a very good receiver, but he wasn't the playmaker Dallas needed. A good receiver can go out and take a game over. Beat the other team single handed. I never once saw Dez takeover a game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
So where does he go?  Is he Randy Moss Pt. II in New England?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #463 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »
So where does he go?  Is he Randy Moss Pt. II in New England?

I completely disagree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #464 on: April 14, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »
No chance of him being Randy Moss II.

Dez is a terrible route runner.  He has put no effort over the years into learning his craft.  He was so good for a while because of his God-given physical tools, but as those have slight eroded, his production has dropped off because he probably still thinks he can get away with his physical tools, instead of working to expand his game. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #465 on: April 14, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
No chance of him being Randy Moss II.

Dez is a terrible route runner.  He has put no effort over the years into learning his craft.  He was so good for a while because of his God-given physical tools, but as those have slight eroded, his production has dropped off because he probably still thinks he can get away with his physical tools, instead of working to expand his game.
This. Moss got by not only on his physical gifts but also by being one of the smartest receivers to ever play. He understood the importance of route running, but also understood what every player on the field was doing and was going to do. Dez is a good player, but he's far more likely to be Chad Ocho-cinco II than Moss II.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #466 on: April 14, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
So, from what you guys are saying he'd fit in with Cam Newton.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:34 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/here%E2%80%99s-why-danny-amendola-chose-to-leave-patriots-sign-with-dolphins/ar-AAvRToA?ocid=ientp

Amendola also shared some candid comments on his experience playing for Belichick.“It’s not easy, that’s for sure,” he told Reiss. “He’s an a–h— sometimes. There were a lot of things I didn’t like about playing for him, but I must say, the things I didn’t like were all in regards to getting the team better, and I respected him. I didn’t like practicing in the snow, I didn’t like practicing in the rain, but that was going to make us a better football team and that was going to make me a better football player. It wasn’t easy, and he’d be the first to admit, at the (Super Bowl) ring ceremony, that it wasn’t easy playing for him. The silver lining was that we were at the ring ceremony.”

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/here%E2%80%99s-why-danny-amendola-chose-to-leave-patriots-sign-with-dolphins/ar-AAvRToA?ocid=ientp

Amendola also shared some candid comments on his experience playing for Belichick.“It’s not easy, that’s for sure,” he told Reiss. “He’s an a–h— sometimes. There were a lot of things I didn’t like about playing for him, but I must say, the things I didn’t like were all in regards to getting the team better, and I respected him. I didn’t like practicing in the snow, I didn’t like practicing in the rain, but that was going to make us a better football team and that was going to make me a better football player. It wasn’t easy, and he’d be the first to admit, at the (Super Bowl) ring ceremony, that it wasn’t easy playing for him. The silver lining was that we were at the ring ceremony.”
Sounds about right. Like I said the other day, a lot of the leadership on that team has already one theirs, and playing for a notorious bastard is probably not all that interesting to them anymore. Hence the current discontent. Yet I have to wonder how a player like Brady, who's worked for Bill his entire career, would find life in some place like Dallas, where discipline is just a word you throw about to seem serious. I think he'd like it for about 5 minutes, and then realize how important it is to not be a disorganized group of half-assers.

And I figured every team practiced in the snow and rain. That shouldn't be an issue at all. If there are teams that don't they don't deserve one title, much less five.

In any case, I'm starting to tire of Gronk's attitude. It's pretty clear he's becoming a malcontent, and if that's the case it'd be worth it to take the "better too soon than too late" approach. While it's obviously impossible to replace him, there's also the very real possibility that they do without him anyway. He's not durable and he's only getting older. Moreover, he's made it clear he's only playing in NE for as long as TB is, so you can't expect any longterm future out of him.

Truth be told, I'd say the same thing about TB, but it seems Kraft has taken that option off the table.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: April 18, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »
 this is not the first time he's missed the first voluntary practices which is all about weight lifting goes against everything he does it is TB12 method. This is no surprise. When we get to the mandatory and they actually start throwing and he's not there, then I worry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
God damn I wish they'd kept Garopollo. I'd really like to see this team moving forward, and it just doesn't seem to be happening.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
I really think the media speculations are adding to our fears right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »
Well, Brady is not leading a revolt in the literal sense, I don't think. However it does make me think of the Wickersham article where players think they are appeasing the QB if they use Guerrero.

Curran is pretty dialed in down there so I would take what he says seriously, and I'm not even a huge Curran fan.

The thing is, Brady has really enabled Bill to coach the team the way he does. But as Bart says,

Yet I have to wonder how a player like Brady, who's worked for Bill his entire career, would find life in some place like Dallas, where discipline is just a word you throw about to seem serious. I think he'd like it for about 5 minutes, and then realize how important it is to not be a disorganized group of half-assers.

This is totally true.

But the Belichick/Brady legend really gets etched by going to 3 of the last 4 SB's. They may not have gotten there without Brady being pissed off about Jimmy G, but he may also not have gotten there, as he probably believes, without Guerrero.

Losing the SB plays a huge [art of this, which includes the Butler decision. Some think it's similar to Carrol not running Lynch at the goal line. I don't really disagree with that.

I think Brady is getting a LOT of pressure at home, and the coach's decision in the SB, for seemingly no reason, is really making Brady think.

When we get to the mandatory and they actually start throwing and he's not there, then I worry.

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
You make a very good point. Does the Patriot way happen if Brady isn't aboard? We know that Bill will enforce it anyway, he's not shy about shipping people off who won't conform, but without TB that might include a lot of other players. At this point, who's the elder statesman of the locker room if it's not TB? Gronk has seemingly made it clear he's there because of TB at this point.

Moreover, if TB is no longer aboard what does that do with the new QB that will almost certainly coming along shortly? Seems to me you need him ahead of the new guy more for instilling in him the way things are done, rather than how to play QB. All the more reason that starting fresh without Garopollo is highly problematic.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
I think Brady is more pissed off that his business partner, Alex Guerrero, was not allowed to hang out with the team.  The real issue is the is head butting going on about the training.  Brady is all about flexibility, same with Gronk.  So some of the players were not listening to the coaching staff on their training and BB told Guerrero, he no longer can help the team.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »
You make a very good point. Does the Patriot way happen if Brady isn't aboard?

You know it's a slow day on Boston Sports Radio when the host says, "Who is more important, Brady or Belichick?" They know they can always milk a couple of hours with it.

To me, it's 50-50. Could either have won a SB without the other? Sure. Would they have been to EIGHT SBs without the other? Hell no!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »
Yeah, I hate that argument.  You need both to have this kind of run.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Ah, y'all are discussing who was more important. To that point I'm going with Bill. To me one of his greatest attributes as an HC is an ability gameplan around what he has to work with. He doesn't have a system, and he doesn't need to recruit players to fit into that system. He takes the best talent available and finds a way to make them all work together. We're talking about a coach who, when speaking about his O-line being decimated by injuries says "you know, there's nothing in the rulebook that says you have to play 5 offensive linemen." Who the hell thinks that way? While he's still the GOAT, Brady doesn't have the same level of success stuck in one system that might or might not have the right guys to work within it.

If we're talking about who is more important, it's Bill and it's not even close. Brady's on his way out. Bill's the one that has to figure out how to keep the thing on the tracks.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
 I think we're talking about the full run not the end here. You can go to 8 Super Bowls without a great coach and a great quarterback.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #480 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
You can go to 8 Super Bowls without a great coach and a great quarterback.

Of course you can.  I remember seeing something a few years back about a guy who had been to all or most of them.  Started going when he was a kid, and kept right on going.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: April 18, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »
As much as I love TB, it's Bill.    Brady was/is a unique talent, but 25 (how many teams are there? That number minus one) other teams didn't see it.   Does he develop to "TB12" playing under Jason Garrett?  I don't think so.   Does Bill nuture another QB to play well in his system? I think he does.   Again, maybe not 8 Super Bowls in five years, but I think the odds of Bill happening without Tom are better than Tom happening without Bill.   

I also am with King, that a lot of this is filling the time after football and the NCAA and before the hockey season starts and baseball gets real. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #482 on: April 18, 2018, 02:01:25 PM »
Oh, baseball is still a thing? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
  Again, maybe not 8 Super Bowls in five years, but I think the odds of Bill happening without Tom are better than Tom happening without Bill.   

Wow, that IS amazing!!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #484 on: April 18, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »
Oh, the NBA is still a thing?
Fixed
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
You can go to 8 Super Bowls without a great coach and a great quarterback.

Of course you can.  I remember seeing something a few years back about a guy who had been to all or most of them.  Started going when he was a kid, and kept right on going.

Can't dammit! :lol  Can't!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Schedule Release Night!
« Reply #486 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »
One of my favorite nights of the off-season is upon us. The unveiling of the 2018 regular season schedule! Minnesota at Philadelphia is rumored to be the kickoff game. We know about the games for London and Mexico. Can't wait to see how the rest shakes out!

Also read that the kickoff time for prime time games are moving up. 15 minutes for MNF and SNF and a whopping 10 minutes for SNF. I guess every little bit helps for us east coast fans.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: April 19, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
I like that change too.  Although when I travel to the west coast I really hate it how early games are :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
I like that change too.  Although when I travel to the west coast I really hate it how early games are :lol

DUDE!  I used to love that!!  I lived in LA for about a year or so, and I would  come home, crack a beer, cook some food and watch football.  After I could either sleep or go out if I wanted.  Sundays was even better.  Wake up make some coffee, watch football, do the Sunday crossword and the rest of the day was in front of you. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #489 on: April 19, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
Jets/Lions is the early game of the MNF doubleheader Week 1...yuck.  Just more proof that the NFL doesn't give a damn anymore about having good match-ups on MNF. Sunday nights get the best games.

The 49ers are already the darling sleeper pick for 2018, but their first seven games are nightmarish.