3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185256 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Trades and FA Madness
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
Good trade for both teams.

Brady's head will explode if/when Belichick accumulates enough draft picks to trade into the top 5 to take a QB.

The only team I can see trading down at this point in the top 5 is Denver. The Browns, Jets, and Giants need their picks. Denver is curious, because the Keenum signing is obviously a stop gap. But they wouldn't have signed him had they believed in Lynch. So, if they don't believe in Lynch, they will probably draft a guy, which likely will be Baker Mayfield.

The Patriots aren't going for Lamar Jackson, would they? I expect him to be gone before #23. Buffalo or Arizona may pull the trigger...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
I think the entitlement stems from winning two Super Bowls and now they want the noose loosened. What they don't realize is that the worst thing that can happen. look what happened when all the players went and complained and they got Pete Carroll as a coach for the Patriots he loosened up and each year they had less wins.
This is the sense I get, as well. Most players struggle their entire careers trying to win a ring. That's a helluva motivation. Once you've won 2 or 5 it's probably a lot more tempting to go for the money or an easier ride. You've gotten the hard part out of the way.

And the best example is going to be Dallas in the early 90s. Jimmy was an early incarnation of Belichick and he ran a tight ship. When he was replaced by a "player's coach" they imploded spectacularly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
Not really newsworthy, but apparently PETA is after Von Miller because he caught a hammerhead shark on a fishing trip in Florida.  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/florida-officials-investigation-von-miller-caught-hammerhead-shark-175959889.html

But I posted it because the best part of the article was actually in the comments section where someone posted: "If he was a JETS wide receiver he wouldn't have caught anything."  :rollin

Second best part was Miller's caption on the pic itself.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2018, 03:23:24 PM »
Not really newsworthy, but apparently PETA is after Von Miller because he caught a hammerhead shark on a fishing trip in Florida.  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/florida-officials-investigation-von-miller-caught-hammerhead-shark-175959889.html

But I posted it because the best part of the article was actually in the comments section where someone posted: "If he was a JETS wide receiver he wouldn't have caught anything."  :rollin

:censored :censored :censored :censored
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #425 on: April 05, 2018, 06:35:31 AM »
Von is such a bonehead  :facepalm:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »
The Von thing kinda pisses me off.  I'm not a bonafide treehugger...but....  There is no reason in the world to kill an endangered species animal.  He should have cut it loose when he got it to the boat and got his pic.  Just like there are tag and release programs for other gamefish such as Billfish, Roosterfish, etc...   

As a serious scuba diver and underwater photographer I've seen the decline of sharks and other oceanic species over the years.  Senseless, seriously senseless. We're talking sheer trophy hunting, not hunting for sustenance.

/rant off

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #427 on: April 06, 2018, 07:00:06 AM »
I remember fishing off Sanibel Island with my dad - this is about 10 years ago - and I caught a hammerhead; I don't know if it was a baby or not, but it was a perfect, scale version of what you'd expect a hammerhead to look like, except it was about 16" long or so.   It was SO COOL, and would have been awesome to have mounted on a fireplace or whatever.

It wasn't even an option.  My dad - who fished with his neighbor probably four times a week at that point - had the "keep" list taped to his boat, and Cam Newton, Jr. went back in the water about as fast as it came out.

(I don't actually remember if that fish was on the "keep" list or not, and I knew nothing about any laws or whatnot, I just know my dad made a thumb gesture like "back it goes" and so it did.  My dad didn't usually mess around with that stuff, just as a matter of principle.)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
I remember fishing off Sanibel Island with my dad - this is about 10 years ago - and I caught a hammerhead; I don't know if it was a baby or not, but it was a perfect, scale version of what you'd expect a hammerhead to look like, except it was about 16" long or so.   It was SO COOL, and would have been awesome to have mounted on a fireplace or whatever.

It wasn't even an option.  My dad - who fished with his neighbor probably four times a week at that point - had the "keep" list taped to his boat, and Cam Newton, Jr. went back in the water about as fast as it came out.

(I don't actually remember if that fish was on the "keep" list or not, and I knew nothing about any laws or whatnot, I just know my dad made a thumb gesture like "back it goes" and so it did.  My dad didn't usually mess around with that stuff, just as a matter of principle.)

Good for your Pops!!!  Funny thing is... "Mounted" fish now are replicas.  All you need to know is the type and size and Voila!  Instant trophy without the kill!  Cam Newton Jr.   :rollin

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: April 10, 2018, 03:58:50 PM »
Two things going around about TNF:

1. Better matchups
2. No more color rush uniforms

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
I'm not sure what can really be done to make a substantial difference on #1.  I mean, could they do better?  Sure.  But the fact of the matter is, there are only so many good teams and only so many good matchups.  Even when we ONLY had MNF, there were duds.  Now we have SNF, MNF, and TNF.  There are going to be more then a few duds, and I don't see what can be done about that.  And that is compounded by the fact that, since it is a prime time game, expectations are somehow higher as to the expected quality.  I'm glad there is talk about making it better.  But I'm not expecting a huge difference.  Personally, I wish we could go back to just Sunday and Monday for games.  I know that isn't going to happen, but I think that would help more.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #432 on: April 10, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
Seems like they could just make them all divisional games. Those have a higher likelihood of being a decent game, even if it's Dolphins v. Jets. It also increases the likelihood of violence and mayhem, heated rivalries and whatnot, so even shitty game has a chance of becoming a minor riot. 

And by all means do away with that color rush nonsense. If you're going to do something fundamentally stupid like that I say dress them all up like fruit. I want to see bananas vs carrots. Maybe get Vic Romano and Kenny Blankenship to announce the game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
Was thinking the same thing with using division games, specifically picking some of the bigger rival games and/or picking teams that were pre-season favorites to win their division.   I still think over saturation is an issue as well and you'll never be able to consistently get good games with 3 primetime games and the random nature of the NFL, but I think they could improve a little bit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2018, 07:56:52 AM »
Not a reply to you, Cram, but a general observation:  Not sure how "oversaturation" fits into this.  The  games ARE going to be played one way or another, on one day or another.   Why not televise it?   Yeah, I don't live in Jacksonville or Tennessee, but they still have to play.  Why not throw it out there nationally to see it?  If it's not a good game, you don't have to watch it, but on the odd chance that it's an interesting game, it's there for us to see. 

I agree about the uniforms, though.  That's not the same thing; that sort of makes a mockery of the game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: April 11, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »
Oversaturation of "prime time", the schedule hasn't changed (yet) so there's obviously no new games.  But like Bosk said, people have higher expectations if it's a lone prime time game.  Adding TNF has saturated the field of these games.  Seems like SNF usually gets the best game, but the product of all three prime time games has gone down since adding TNF. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
Yeah, exactly.  The way it used to be, if you watched at every opportunity, you'd get 2 games on Sunday, and one game on Monday night.  Which games, of course, varied depending on what market you were in and what was televised in that market.  But you'd get to watch, at most, 3 games a week, barring playoffs and special weeks where there was an odd game (like Thanksgiving).  Part of that was a product of the technology back then, and I'm not saying that we ignore technology and go backwards.  But what I am saying is that it sort of made football feel special, and that is especially true of that MNF game each week. 

Now, even without getting into how you could theoretically watch every single game played in a given week if you have the right access, just by watching what is live, you can get 3 games on Sunday, one on Monday, and one on Thursday.  That's almost double what we previously had access to (and it is when we get an additional MNF game when they do double-headers).  And that is triple the number of prime time games.  So it's no wonder the prime time game has lost its sheen and feels less "special." 

Again, I'm not saying we go back.  But I kind of wish we could in some respects.  The added day (Thursday) not only makes the games feel less "special," but it also really messes with team scheduling and can put teams at a real disadvantage.  I have to say, I'm not a fan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #437 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:57 AM »
I've got to be honest, I don't watch many TNF game and I'm an NFL fan.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: April 11, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »
I'm not entirely sure I would want to go back against TNF.  I get it makes things harder for the teams, but as a fan, the more I can watch, the better I feel.  However, like King, I hardly watch TNF anyway just because the matches historically haven't been very attractive.  So if they dumped it, I wouldn't be upset. 

Also, what about the idea of not having SNF games set in stone before the season.  Sort of like how they do it in the last week or two with flex games.  Pre-assign MNF and TNF (since those aren't on Sunday, the logistics need to be settled) to the best games of the week based on what one would think those would be, then let SNF pick the game they want from the rest so SNF is almost guaranteed the best game, but it's not really taking away from MNF or TNF.  Sure it would suck for the fans to not know if your game is at night until a week beforehand (maybe not even until that Tuesday) but it seems like attendance isn't really growing at the games anyway.  Just a thought.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: April 11, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
I'm not entirely sure I would want to go back against TNF.  I get it makes things harder for the teams, but as a fan, the more I can watch, the better I feel.  However, like King, I hardly watch TNF anyway just because the matches historically haven't been very attractive.  So if they dumped it, I wouldn't be upset. 

Also, what about the idea of not having SNF games set in stone before the season.  Sort of like how they do it in the last week or two with flex games.  Pre-assign MNF and TNF (since those aren't on Sunday, the logistics need to be settled) to the best games of the week based on what one would think those would be, then let SNF pick the game they want from the rest so SNF is almost guaranteed the best game, but it's not really taking away from MNF or TNF.  Sure it would suck for the fans to not know if your game is at night until a week beforehand (maybe not even until that Tuesday) but it seems like attendance isn't really growing at the games anyway.  Just a thought.

SNF can flex their games as soon as late October/Early November. However they don't always grab the best game on the Sunday slate because A. The other networks are allowed to protect X amount of games and B. If it's a super popular team or teams they won't necessarily flex to better teams. All they care about are ratings.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
You can't flex Thursday night games. Because of the short turn around teams need to know well in advance. Also, keep in mind the logistics of transporting a team and all of the equipment. Lodging. Practice. Bumping a game 3 hours to move it to prime time isn't a problem. Changing the dates would wreck everything.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »

If I'm being honest, that's where I am, really.  I support it, but it's not as if I am waiting at 8:29 with popcorn in hand for the thrilling adventure that is TNF.  I'll watch it if there is nothing else on or if the wife falls asleep.   I  kind of like that it's there, though.

What do the players think?  Anyone know?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #442 on: April 11, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Players hate it. They've been lobbying to do away with it for years but the owners are steadfast. Shitty product or not there's a ton of money to be made from it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
Would love for them to get back to Thursday NFL football only on opening night, and 2 games on Turkey Day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #444 on: April 11, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
Unless it is the Broncos or a marquee matchup, how much I watch the Thursday and Monday night games now depends entirely on how much interest I have regarding my fantasy football match-ups. If the Thursday night game is Bills vs Jets and neither my opponent nor I have a player going in the game, I probably won't watch much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: April 11, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »
I don't watch a Bills/Jets matchup either. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #446 on: April 11, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
I should point out that there are a handful of players who are so exciting and so good that they can usually get me to tune in, even if the matchup is poor:

Aaron Rodgers
Blake Bortles
Odell Beckham

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: April 11, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
 :tup
 :omg:
 :tup

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2018, 05:30:39 AM »
I should point out that there are a handful of players who are so exciting and so good that they can usually get me to tune in, even if the matchup is poor:

Odell Beckham

There is nothing that would make me want to watch him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »

Odell Beckham

There is nothing that would make me want to watch him.

Even if a net attacked him?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2018, 05:41:07 AM »
A net?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »
Tim, come on, you had to see him take a swing at the kicker's net last year only to see bounce back at him.  It was glorious. It was like the net was attacking him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
Sorry, that was the year before.  He was out all of last year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2018, 05:53:12 AM »
Oh, I don't remember that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 AM »