3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185190 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Trades and FA Madness
« Reply #385 on: March 23, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »

That's so awesome dude.  When the parade rolled by us I was laughing because I saw Jason Kelce dressed as a Mummer and he was living it up and it was hilarious.  And the day after the parade I had actually posted something along the lines of, "I dare you to find me anything more 'Philly' than Jason Kelce giving that epic profanity-laced speech during the Eagles parade ceremony from the steps of the art museum dressed as a goddamn Mummer...."   :lol  It's funny, I remember when the Phillies won the World Series in 2008 and Chase Utley gave his "World Fucking Champions!" speech.  And as the ceremony for the Eagles parade was going on I remember thinking, "We need another Chase Utley style speech"...and then Kelce took the mic and the rest will live on as absolute Philly lore, legend and infamy forever.

Do you still live in the Philly area?  I'm actually in South Jersey but I'm so close to the city it's easier to just say "I'm from Philly."

I do not; I moved back to Connecticut by necessity, but I miss it every day.  I used to live over by 2nd and Christian; I had a great bar in walking distance (For Pete's Sake) and the Italian Market nearby.   

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #386 on: March 23, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »
The jury is still out on if Pryor is a good NFL WR.  He put up good numbers on a Browns team in 2016 that was always losing (see: garbage yards), but was utter dog crap last year on a WR-friendly Redskins team.  It will be interesting to see if he can bounce back after being so awful in 2017.

He was hurt all last year. I forget how much the contract is for, but the Jets have a ton of cap room, so they could care less. I am sure it is probably just a one year deal anyway.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
The jury is still out on if Pryor is a good NFL WR.  He put up good numbers on a Browns team in 2016 that was always losing (see: garbage yards), but was utter dog crap last year on a WR-friendly Redskins team.  It will be interesting to see if he can bounce back after being so awful in 2017.

He was hurt all last year. I forget how much the contract is for, but the Jets have a ton of cap room, so they could care less. I am sure it is probably just a one year deal anyway.

Yea, this whole debate was happening on WFAN and it pretty much came down to a win if the contract was for little money (this convo happened before he was signed, no idea what his contract is worth).  The Jets need a WR and he showed some flashes but also has concerns, so for a small price then it's a good deal. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: March 23, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/428551/ex-seahawks-de-michael-bennett-indicted-for-alleged-super-bowl-incident/

Former Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett has been indicted by a grand jury in Harris County, Texas for allegedly injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic woman at Super Bowl LI in 2017.

Bennett allegedly shoved his way onto the field at Houston’s NRG Stadium at the conclusion of the game after being told to use a different entrance to access the field. The elderly woman was a member of the security team.

In a related story, a revised edition of his upcoming book “Things That Make White People Uncomfortable” will feature a chapter entitled "My fist in your old lady face is you don't get the hell out of my way."

Your leaving Seattle couldn't have come at a better time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »
Guy is scum IMO, let's not forget how he handled his police situation in Vegas as well.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
Well, they're finally and officially revising the 'what is a catch?' rule.  That will put an end to all the debates and excessive replay delays ;)

And permanently placing KO touchbacks to the 25 (amongst a couple of other things). 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #391 on: March 27, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
I wish they would have just gotten rid of kickoffs. Keep Punts and FGs with the option to try an onside kick.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #392 on: March 27, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »
Bad idea. That would take away the surprise onside kick.  Sure, it doesn't happen often, but it's awesome when it does.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #393 on: March 27, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »
Agree Kev. I still find kickoffs in the punt returns fun when they actually run.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: March 27, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »
I don't like making special teams irrelevant. STs adds a lot, especially to the pro game with small rosters. Makes teams go after athletes who can play football multiple ways and play a role even if it's not a starting position. Oh yea, it's also some of the most exciting plays of the game.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2018, 06:56:58 AM »
If the argument against kickoffs is the potential injury from full-speed tacklers, then don't allow them a running start.  Everyone has to line up on the 30 (that's the kickoff line now I think?), and only give the kicker a 5 yard run-up.  That'll shorten the kicks, and slow the tacklers down at least a little bit?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2018, 08:46:01 AM »
For me, the interest is almost always in the mistakes, and to take away the kickoff, takes away the chance for some kid to think he's going to run it back 106 yards in 20 degree weather, and instead have it bounce off his dome.   Or watch some hotshot think he's going to make the highlight reel with an over-commit on the tackle and get toasted (I'm thinking of the kickoff version of what  happened in Minnesota/New Orleans).   

Tony Romo booting the extra point is always a great example here, too.   There are no gimme's in the NFL. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
So it seems the league came pretty close to passing the so-called Josh McDaniels rule that would allow assistant coaches to sign contracts with other teams while they're still in the playoffs. Who the hell is running this shit-show? The problem isn't that coaches can't sign with other teams while still coaching, but rather that they are allowed to negotiate with them when they should be focusing on their damn job. Hell, why don't we just allow players to negotiate in the middle of the playoffs?

Thankfully, Belichick and, quite ironically, Colt's GM Ballard managed to talk some sense into these ass-hats.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
I was thinking the same thing El Barto.   how about plain and simple you can't talk to a coach until they're out of the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
Yea, when I heard this was being considered I was wondering if the reporting got it backwards.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2018, 03:54:52 PM »
I was thinking the same thing El Barto.   how about plain and simple you can't talk to a coach until they're out of the playoffs.
You might need to stipulate that no coaches can negotiate during the playoffs, but I'm not honestly sure that'll be necessary. The argument will be that playoff coaches will get left behind as the jobs are filled, but I doubt that'll happen. If the guy you want is still OC'ing somewhere then you wait for him to become available. If you're out of the playoffs you wait and see what the best offer is, and that won't come about until everybody can be considered.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
If I get what you're saying because there are some teams that are in the playoffs that would change coaches but those teams usually fall in the early rounds.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
If I get what you're saying because there are some teams that are in the playoffs that would change coaches but those teams usually fall in the early rounds.
New England?

The concern would be that if a team can't pursue JMD and MP until after the SB, then there won't be anybody left if they don't get their man.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
No talking about like the Tennessee situation.  When it just be fair that every team cannot get a new coach until after the Super Bowl? I know teams want to get a head start but no team will have an advantage if everybody gets an advantage if everybody starts at the same time after the Super Bowl

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
I think rather than continuing tweaking rules to make the game safer they should just take away the helmets. These guys would be forced to play safer unless they want to really hurt themselves. Look at rugby, those guys are crazy tough but you don't hear much about concussions.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
They'd need to take away a lot of the other pads too if they were going to take away helmets.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »
No talking about like the Tennessee situation.  When it just be fair that every team cannot get a new coach until after the Super Bowl? I know teams want to get a head start but no team will have an advantage if everybody gets an advantage if everybody starts at the same time after the Super Bowl

Well that's just logical, and how the other major sports do it.  Why would the NFL wanna be like that!?!?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: March 30, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »

Well that's just logical, and how the other major sports do it.  Why would the NFL wanna be like that!?!?

I know.  Logic! :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »

I know.  Logic! :lol

In college football they also allow this, and there's a reason which is so that those coaches can recruit and get a class to come there.  Even then, leaving a school (of kids who committed to playing for you) before/during the post season seems like such a poor practice.   I'd like to see the NFL wait till the official season ends before teams can make such changes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: March 30, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
I wouldn't say the NCAA has any kind of 'gold standard' of practices by which to follow.   :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »
Cooks to the Rams!!!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #411 on: April 03, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »
Fine move by NE. Dude was in the final year of a massively back-loaded contract. Give up a #32. Get a reasonably productive year out of the guy at the bargain-basement price of $1.5 mil. Trade him for a #28 right before his contract balloons to $8.5 mil. Not really sure how you can play it much better than that.

After several months of baffling decisions from Bill it's nice to be reminded how good the guy is. Now he just needs to replace him (and not lose Gronk).
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: April 03, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
Good trade for both teams.

Brady's head will explode if/when Belichick accumulates enough draft picks to trade into the top 5 to take a QB.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
The deal is Pat's trading Cooks and a 4th round pick for the 23rd pick in the first round and a 6th round pick from the Rams.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
The deal is Pat's trading Cooks and a 4th round pick for the 23rd pick in the first round and a 6th round pick from the Rams.
Which I believe was the same deal to get him from the Saints. I could be wrong, but it seems to me they moved a pick up 9 spots and got a year of cheap WR play.

Good trade for both teams.

Brady's head will explode if/when Belichick accumulates enough draft picks to trade into the top 5 to take a QB.
I reckon he's at that point now, but I don't see him ever spending a top five on a QB.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
You're dead on with that El Barto.   What's surprising is getting the number one pick for a guy in the last year of his contract.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
Obviously I don't know what went on with Garapolo (one r? two?  one l? two?) but Brady can't be that stupid that he doesn't realize the team has to set up for the eventuality of his retirement.  Even if he plays for five more years or whatever he thinks, they can still draft a top five, groom him for a year or two and if Brady is still playing, trade him for a shit ton of picks.   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #417 on: April 04, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
Gronk is actually the interesting puzzle piece. He's apparently made it clear that he's only playing as long as TB is there. I can certainly understand that, but that really complicates things going forward since we have no idea how long that might be. Before yesterday trading Gronk actually made a lot of sense from a Belichick standpoint. Not that's out.

It's also starting to look like a lot of the guys really are tired of Bill. I don't get that, myself, money and rings seem to be an NFL player's primary concern, but whatever. Grass is always greener, I guess.

The guy who really got fucked in all of this is OBJ. LA was his one big chance and they passed. The NYG want a ton for the rights to him, and he wants a ton to play. Monday he might have gotten it. Now he's stuck.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: April 04, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »
I get that vague sense about Bill as well, which is a shame, because it kind of shows that the tide is really strong against organization and coaching, and tells me that this will never happen again, at least in this form.

Ten years ago, if you were tired of Bill, you went to another organization (the way it should be).  I don't know where the rot started, but it's seeming that the inmates are starting to control the asylum.   If you're Bill, and you want to coach another ten years, what's the play?  Get rid of Brady?  Do you think he's the root of the mutiny (even if inadvertently)? 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: April 04, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
I think the entitlement stems from winning two Super Bowls and now they want the noose loosened. What they don't realize is that the worst thing that can happen. look what happened when all the players went and complained and they got Pete Carroll as a coach for the Patriots he loosened up and each year they had less wins.