3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 186903 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Kraft's Creepshow
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
Bell has announced that the Steelers intend to tag him again if they can't come to an agreement on a new deal by today's deadline.

I really, really wish the Steelers would take that $14.5 million and invest in a good, middle of the road running back, and then spend the rest on defense. Their defense is what let them down last year.

They would be better off using a couple good RBs next year (rather than one stud RB) and improving our defense. That would make the overall team better, IMO.

I completely agree. A good safety and middle linebacker. Or possibly a good defensive tackle.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pg1067

« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
Has a Super Bowl MVP ever been traded the very next season?

No Super Bowl MVP has been traded in the off-season following the MVP win or during the following season, but several players have left their teams as free agents after winning the Super Bowl MVP:

Dexter Jackson signed with the Cardinals after winning the MVP for the Buccaneers in SB 37.  Interestingly, in signing with the Cardinals, he backed out of a verbal agreement to sign with the Steelers, and, as a result, the Steelers drafted Troy Polamalu.

Desmond Howard signed with the Raiders after winning the MVP for the Packers in SB 31.

Larry Brown signed with the Raiders after winning the MVP for the Cowboys in SB 30.

Larry Csonka signed with the WFL's Memphis Southern after winning the MVP for the Dolphins in SB 8.

I believe John Elway is the only MVP to retire after winning.

El Barto is correct that Branch played one more season with the Patriots before holding out and being traded to the Seahawks (same with Santonio Holmes).

Completely off-topic:  How is Chuck Howley not in the HoF??  Fifteen year career as a linebacker, with 25 interceptions and 18 fumble recoveries, who knows how many sacks, 5-time first team all-pro, and the first defensive player to win the Super Bowl MVP.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
Bell has announced that the Steelers intend to tag him again if they can't come to an agreement on a new deal by today's deadline.

I really, really wish the Steelers would take that $14.5 million and invest in a good, middle of the road running back, and then spend the rest on defense. Their defense is what let them down last year.

They would be better off using a couple good RBs next year (rather than one stud RB) and improving our defense. That would make the overall team better, IMO.

I completely agree. A good safety and middle linebacker. Or possibly a good defensive tackle.

Yup. Go out and pay a decent RB like 4 or 5 million and use the remaining 10 or so million to improve the weak part of your team.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2018, 09:23:44 PM »
Sorry I goofed on the trades.  For instance, when I checked Deion Branch, I saw he was the '05 SB MVP....thinking that was for the '05 season.  My bad. :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
Michael Bennett to the Eagles. Not sure how I feel about this.

Sounds like Sherman's not long for Seattle either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Shakeup in Seattle
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
On the one hand, it makes their front four even more ferocious, but on the other hand, a monster douche like Bennett could be a major locker room distraction. 

I continue to chuckle at the comments about how the defense never got over the "throwing it at the 1 instead of giving it to Marshawn Lynch" play, which allegedly cost them the Super Bowl.  Dopes like Richard Sherman think that cost the defense a repeat and immortality (they would have been the first all-world defense since the Steel Curtain to win TWO titles), but sorry, no, their defense blowing a double digit lead in the Super Bowl is why they lost.  No, the defense wasn't what it was the prior year when they really were all-world, but when you play D with that much swagger and think you are it, you lock down the win when you have a double digit in the 4th Q of the Super Bowl.  And they gagged it away.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
Don't forget jumping off sides when the Patriots still had to run a play from their own 1 foot line.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
That is a Michael Bennett specialty.  I suspect that kind of shit won't fly in Philly like it did in Seattle, so it will be interesting to see how Bennett reacts to being coached to not being so overly aggressive.  Being overly aggressive is a staple of a Pete Carroll defense. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
Have stayed out of this thread as I have been on a self-imposed sports break.

This Seahwawks news is not really surprising. And reaction from everything I have heard and read locally is all over the map. The higher percentage to my eyes and ears seems to be Bennett is 1) getting old and 2) has gotten to be too much of a distraction (or cancer, depending on one's level of vitriol) in the locker room. Does he care more about being an SJW than an elite football player? Does he care too much about how black his QB is and how racist the LV police department is? Hard to say. Again, general consensus seems to be "Thanks for the hard work and the championship, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."

Sherman will get a little more gracious of a farewell, assuming his mouth doesn't change that.

Regardless, this team is a perfect illustration of how quickly the championship window can open and close in the NFL. Even with Wilson locked up at QB for the long term, the NFCW is getting stronger, and this will be an 8-8 team for the near future.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
Chris, that's why I will never take this run of the Patriots for granted.   It's unprecedented.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2018, 06:09:36 AM »
Wow, Giants got a linebacker!  Traded some pics for Ogletree and I love it.  I feel the Giants haven't put any money into the LB position for as long as I can remember and now got a proven player.  It came at a big cost in his contract though (hence why he was traded away).  Either way, I think the Giants D has just gotten a nice upgrade.  Now just fix the oline then I think they have a good chance of being a winning team next year.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
Damn Rams. Save some DBs for the rest of us.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
Meh, Talib is a good DB and an absolutely terrible human being. I wouldn't want him on my team.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
Meh, Talib is a good DB and an absolutely terrible human being. I wouldn't want him on my team.
He's prone to losing his mind from time to time. I'm honestly surprised the Patriots were interested in him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
Torrey Smith traded to the Panthers.  :sad:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
Browns to aquire Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor. They're really starting the process of digging out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #296 on: March 09, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »
I gotta think that Taylor is merely a stopgap while they get whatever rookie QB they draft up to speed. 

I like the Landry trade for them.  He is a good WR who should help their offense get better, assuming getting traded to Cleveland doesn't make him give up on life. :lol :lol

I am glad the Broncos got rid of Talib. I have never liked that guy.  Total piece of shit. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: March 10, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
Someone check on Bosky. Apparently the 49ers and Richard Sherman have agreed to a 3 year deal.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2018, 06:36:46 PM »
$39 million? Wow, Niners, enjoy those two aging, broken down wheels!

Prognosticating on when the Niners play in Seattle next year, I anticipate Sherman will get a largely positive response from the fans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2018, 12:21:53 AM »
Most people don't throw towards Sherman.....I'm imagining RW will target him specifically.   The result remains to be seen. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2018, 08:45:47 AM »
Sherman is good, but we'll see how good he really is now without the Legion of Boom to help him out. Plus, he has never been a corner that travels - he plays his side and never moves around - so we'll see if he is capable of moving around on defense now or if he still insists on staying in his comfort zone.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jammindude

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Trades and FA Madness
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
I’ve been saying for years that he’s gone soft since the SB win and just hasn’t been as good. (Yes...he played hurt and with heart in the SB loss...but that doesn’t mean he played at peak level like he did earlier in his career)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2018, 07:11:07 AM »
Browns to aquire Jarvis Landry and Tyrod Taylor. They're really starting the process of digging out.

Digging out what?  If Tyrod Taylor couldn't win in Buffalo, what makes you think he's going to win in Cleveland? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
Someone check on Bosky. Apparently the 49ers and Richard Sherman have agreed to a 3 year deal.

Pretty tasteless move.  But it's the NFL...  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: March 12, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »

Digging out what?  If Tyrod Taylor couldn't win in Buffalo, what makes you think he's going to win in Cleveland?

Tyrod DID win in Buffalo. First playoff appearance this century despite being handicapped a game due to the Peterman start.

But besides that, he most likely is a stop gap while a rookie gets groomed.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
If Cleveland really is climbing out of the cellar, a team must fall to take their place.

Looking more and more like it will be Miami, once again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
I am not convinced the Browns will climb out of the cellar.  They weren't totally depleted of talent the last two years, yet went 1-31...and then kept that head coach. :eek :eek :lol :lol 

What I am saying is, will anyone be surprised if the Browns have the number 1 pick in next year's draft again?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
Not this guy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
And it does seems like every year there is a team or two that is surprisingly bad.  A year ago, did anyone think the Giants and Colts would be picking 2nd and 3rd in the 2018 NFL draft (without having traded for those picks)? Miami could certainly be one of those teams that plummets this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if my Broncos suck swamp water (which could happen if they don't get the QB situation fixed).

Offline dparrott

« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
Speaking of the cellar, that's probably where the Seahawks are headed...
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2018, 03:24:59 AM »
I just read an ESPN article that says the Broncos are going to sign Case Keenum as their QB. I could be wrong, but the guy looks like a career backup to me. Maybe if they improve the line in front of him he might prove me wrong.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2018, 04:54:06 AM »
I don't like that for Denver at all. Hopefully it's a lot like the Bears and Glennon last year. I do see Denver hitting on one of these rookie QBs.

And I stand by my assessment on Cleveland. They're digging out. Easy to say after 1-31 over the past two years but this team will be a regular playoff team in 2-3 years

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2018, 04:54:24 AM »
I just read an ESPN article that says the Broncos are going to sign Case Keenum as their QB. I could be wrong, but the guy looks like a career backup to me. Maybe if they improve the line in front of him he might prove me wrong.

Good god... is this going to be like the 00s where the Bronco's are constantly rotating mediocre quarterbacks through the lineup?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2018, 05:00:28 AM »
So the Vikings are of course strongly linked to Cousins. I have this terrible feeling that that will fall through, Keenum goes to Denver, Bradford signs somewhere, and we're left with Bridgewater or not one at all if he signs somewhere else. I like Bridgewater a lot, but I don't think he deserves a starting job without some strong competition and proving himself worthy. This all makes me really nervous. I think they'll probably get the deal done with Cousins, but it'll be hard for him to turn away from the insane money the Jets are going to throw at him.