3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185104 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread v. Philadelphia Freedom
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
Seem to me you guys lean towards the players more.  I think the coaches should have that flexibility as well.  I only abhor owners.  I  personally do not belive a player has a right to pick where they want to go until they hit free agency.  They deserve it.  Rookie should not have that.

Again, I think Josh was wrong here.  I don't deny that at all but lets look at the players on those teams that these 2 QB's shunned.  It's as equal as these coaches that were screwed by Josh.

No.  Just, no.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread v. Garoppolo Strikes Gold
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »
Sorry Kev.  I do not agree with you at all except that Josh shouldn't have dropped out last minute.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »
Sorry Kev.  I do not agree with you at all except that Josh shouldn't have dropped out last minute.

The worst part of Josh's decision was the guys that up and left their existing jobs to be part of his new staff in Indy. He did them dirty, and there should have been no assembling of a staff until a contract was signed. But even with that said, I don't even think that a signed contract would have stopped Josh from running back to daddy Kraft

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
I agree.  No doubt.  It still calls into Indy's decision to allow this without getting his name on the dotted line as well as releasing the information of the signings.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
Honestly if I were Indy, Id try and get the Commissioner involved and at least wrangle a draft pick out of this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »
No signed contract, no hope for what you are seeking Tim. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
But if you verbally agree. Then sign coaches on the team's behalf, I think it'd be worth an inquiry. Or filing a complaint.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
Imagine all the lawsuits in the NFL from That?  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2018, 07:24:14 PM »
First, I don't think the QB and JMD situations are the same.   Manning and Elway both said, in advance, that they would not play for the team expected to draft them.   The team that DID draft them did so with full disclosure and full knowledge.    They knew the risk going in.

Having said that, I don't know that what JMD did was so egregious.  Perfect?  No.   But what would you have him do?  Decline the better offer, move his family, and then be miserable and second-guessing?  That the assistants signed is unfortunate, but I think Kaos has is right.  They are adults and they took the risk.   Now, some of this is subject to change, depending on what was actually said, but still.  I think if this was St. Louis, and Joe McOffensive Coordinator, instead of the Patriots and Josh McDaniel, we wouldn't be talking about this.

Dear lord, it must be frosty in hell, because I absolutely agree with Stads here.

And the NFL should have a moratorium on coaching staff movement until the season is completely over. The NHL does ... I assume MLB And NBA too?  It's ridiculous that coaches who should be preparing their teams for the biggest games are interviewing and job hunting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:32:00 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2018, 07:30:34 PM »
 :lol.

It really should be.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
Jason Kelce is a fn trip.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/02/eagles_super_bowl_parade.html

I still don't like the Eagles, but Jason Kelce may be my favorite player in the league now.   A Mummers costume!!!   How Philly!   I've mentioned before a couple times that I'm a Mum - I played in one of the string bands - and  wore costumes like that all the time.   Great tradition, and I can tell you, if he didn't already, he connected HARD CORE with that fan base with that speech and that gesture.  (Every year tens of thousands of people line Broad Street on New Year's Day to watch the Mummer's Parade, a day-long march of all the string bands (anywhere from 16 to 20 depending on the year) from the stadia to City Hall.   A tradition that goes back over a hundred years. 

EDIT:  That suit was donated by the band I played in, Avalon String Band.   The guy who's suit it is is the musical director of the band (extremely talented musician) and played o-line in college; most suits aren't that big.  https://phl17.com/2018/02/08/the-mummers-jason-kelce-costume-connection/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:53:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »

The worst part of Josh's decision was the guys that up and left their existing jobs to be part of his new staff in Indy. He did them dirty, and there should have been no assembling of a staff until a contract was signed. But even with that said, I don't even think that a signed contract would have stopped Josh from running back to daddy Kraft

Those things are not on Josh, though.  HE didn't sign them, HE didn't take the chance (albeit with reliance on Josh, I get it).

And no, a signed contract probably wouldn't have, unless there was a stiff buyout clause.  If I recall correctly, Bill had a contract with the Jets and resigned; the Jets were compensated with a draft pick, but still.   What if Josh had waited a week or a month, or even a year?  Would it be any different?   At least now, there's only three coaches (that may or may not have been  lined up before, and may or may not have taken the job anyway) that are out a HC. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2018, 07:50:07 AM »
First, I don't think the QB and JMD situations are the same.   Manning and Elway both said, in advance, that they would not play for the team expected to draft them.   The team that DID draft them did so with full disclosure and full knowledge.    They knew the risk going in.

Having said that, I don't know that what JMD did was so egregious.  Perfect?  No.   But what would you have him do?  Decline the better offer, move his family, and then be miserable and second-guessing?  That the assistants signed is unfortunate, but I think Kaos has is right.  They are adults and they took the risk.   Now, some of this is subject to change, depending on what was actually said, but still.  I think if this was St. Louis, and Joe McOffensive Coordinator, instead of the Patriots and Josh McDaniel, we wouldn't be talking about this.

Dear lord, it must be frosty in hell, because I absolutely agree with Stads here.

And the NFL should have a moratorium on coaching staff movement until the season is completely over. The NHL does ... I assume MLB And NBA too?  It's ridiculous that coaches who should be preparing their teams for the biggest games are interviewing and job hunting.

Oh, Jingle, admit it; it feels good doesn't it?  Like a warm bath.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »

I still don't like the Eagles, but Jason Kelce may be my favorite player in the league now.   

Yeah, I watched that yesterday.  Fantastic!  I know nothing of the Mummers or that tradition.  But he nailed it.  You couldn't watch that and not smile.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »

I still don't like the Eagles, but Jason Kelce may be my favorite player in the league now.   A Mummers costume!!!   How Philly!   I've mentioned before a couple times that I'm a Mum - I played in one of the string bands - and  wore costumes like that all the time.   Great tradition, and I can tell you, if he didn't already, he connected HARD CORE with that fan base with that speech and that gesture.  (Every year tens of thousands of people line Broad Street on New Year's Day to watch the Mummer's Parade, a day-long march of all the string bands (anywhere from 16 to 20 depending on the year) from the stadia to City Hall.   A tradition that goes back over a hundred years. 

EDIT:  That suit was donated by the band I played in, Avalon String Band.   The guy who's suit it is is the musical director of the band (extremely talented musician) and played o-line in college; most suits aren't that big.  https://phl17.com/2018/02/08/the-mummers-jason-kelce-costume-connection/

Bingo. Wearing that Mummers costume was a stroke of genius. He is now universally beloved in that town, and as Bosk's posts indicates, even those outside of the area and unfamiliar with the culture could appreciate his passion and blunt message. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
It was glorious. I felt like he could be a wrestler in WWE.  He was hilarious.

Did any of you hear about the local beat writer in Boston (Ron Borges) who thought he was getting texts from Don Yee (Tom Brady's Agent) that Brady was going to hold out of OTA's to get a new contract?  He ran with it and it was a prank by a local fan.  Borges said he had multiple sources and the local radio station, WEEI, was tipped off by the fan and broke the news this morning.  Borges was know for having an agenda against Bill Belichick all these years.  Goes to show you you can't trust the media anymore.  None will vet these leads.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »

Oh, Jingle, admit it; it feels good doesn't it?  Like a warm bath.  :)

A warm something that involves soapy water, that's for sure.  *Bath* wasn't what I was thinking though.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »

Did any of you hear about the local beat writer in Boston (Ron Borges) who thought he was getting texts from Don Yee (Tom Brady's Agent) that Brady was going to hold out of OTA's to get a new contract?  He ran with it and it was a prank by a local fan.  Borges said he had multiple sources and the local radio station, WEEI, was tipped off by the fan and broke the news this morning.  Borges was know for having an agenda against Bill Belichick all these years.  Goes to show you you can't trust the media anymore.  None will vet these leads.

#fakenews  :lol  Pretty funny, I actually just got myself a second phone number that no one knows for the sole purpose of prank calls.  I got my buddy good yesterday who owns a carwash business.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »
re:  Garoppolo

First thought:  ridiculous. 

Second thought:  the Ravens have been mired with Flacco's contract since Day One.  Didn't resign Bouldin, good OLs go to other teams due to lack of cap space, etc etc etc.  Did he deserve to be rewarded?  Absolutely....but not to the extent of what he signed.  I blame him and the front office for that.

Ditto for Seattle and Wilson, and all or most QB contracts.  'It's not about the money, I want to win.'

B.S. !!!!!

The kid might do OK in San Fran.  He'd have done better with money left for the franchise to plug the needed holes as they develop (and the holes will develop). 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »

Second thought:  the Ravens have been mired with Flacco's contract since Day One.  Didn't resign Bouldin, good OLs go to other teams due to lack of cap space, etc etc etc.  Did he deserve to be rewarded?  Absolutely....but not to the extent of what he signed.  I blame him and the front office for that.

Ditto for Seattle and Wilson, and all or most QB contracts.  'It's not about the money, I want to win.'

B.S. !!!!!

The kid might do OK in San Fran.  He'd have done better with money left for the franchise to plug the needed holes as they develop (and the holes will develop).

Totally this. I could not agree more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »

#fakenews  :lol  Pretty funny, I actually just got myself a second phone number that no one knows for the sole purpose of prank calls.  I got my buddy good yesterday who owns a carwash business.

Call me a juvenile, but I LOVE a good prank call.  Still the funniest part of the Stern show for me.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2018, 12:33:13 PM »

B.S. !!!!!

Generally speaking I agree completely. I had an argument with my brother the Saints fan about Brees refusing to take a pay cut that would have improved the team (and himself) immeasurably. "Fuck that, it's not his job to take pay cuts!" Well, no it's not. Just don't bitch about it when he gets sacked 60 times in a season because they hired their offensive line from a Home Depot parking lot.

However, JG gets a pass on this as he's young and unproven. A player seeking his first real contract should probably take all he can get. If he really does turn out to be the franchise QB for the longterm he can restructure his contract. If he falls apart he can ride the pine safe in the knowledge that he's got 74 million in his checking account. Fuck, even Jamarcus Russell would have to applaud that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
Generally speaking I agree completely. I had an argument with my brother the Saints fan about Brees refusing to take a pay cut that would have improved the team (and himself) immeasurably. "Fuck that, it's not his job to take pay cuts!" Well, no it's not. Just don't bitch about it when he gets sacked 60 times in a season because they hired their offensive line from a Home Depot parking lot.

However, JG gets a pass on this as he's young and unproven. A player seeking his first real contract should probably take all he can get. If he really does turn out to be the franchise QB for the longterm he can restructure his contract. If he falls apart he can ride the pine safe in the knowledge that he's got 74 million in his checking account. Fuck, even Jamarcus Russell would have to applaud that.

Yes, I'll clarify my agreement to Dragon's post. Ridiculous move on the part of the team? Yes. Probably going to make the supporting cast around him worse? Yes. Did the team overpay? Yes.

All that said, good for Jimmy, athletes gotta take the money when they can, I'd do the same. Like you said, he's generally unproven so if he ends up sucking once the league gets a look at him - he's made his.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Apparently this contract is structured in a much better, team friendler way than the QB megadeals of years past.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
Apparently this contract is structured in a much better, team friendler way than the QB megadeals of years past.

How so?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »

How so?

Small unmarked bills in a paper bag delivered weekly in Jimmy's planter box.   :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »

How so?
There are ways you can distribute the cap hit into smaller pieces. You can also incorporate incentives that you might not have to pay. There are exit routes you can incorporate, as well.

The 49ers worked out a stunningly good deal with Kap a few years back. His "contract" was "worth" 125 million with 61 "guaranteed." He actually made 39 million and the team had no problem dumping him. In fact, they have an absolute shit-ton of cap space now, even after paying JG.
https://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-record-49ers-contract-2017-8
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »
Small unmarked bills in a paper bag delivered weekly in Jimmy's planter box.   :lol

Seems sound  :lol

There are ways you can distribute the cap hit into smaller pieces. You can also incorporate incentives that you might not have to pay. There are exit routes you can incorporate, as well.

The 49ers worked out a stunningly good deal with Kap a few years back. His "contract" was "worth" 125 million with 61 "guaranteed." He actually made 39 million and the team had no problem dumping him. In fact, they have an absolute shit-ton of cap space now, even after paying JG.
https://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-record-49ers-contract-2017-8

Well said, at the end of the day the biggest component here is that NFL contracts aren't really guaranteed, right?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
Technically I think the contracts guarantee that they are not guaranteed.

Joseph Heller aside, it actually does make a lot of sense. They guarantee the terms of employment. They just don't guarantee the employment itself. A seven year contract might say "we'll hire you for 7 years. We'll pay you this much. We can terminate this agreement after 4 years. You can opt out after five years." He doesn't have to work 8 years for them. They can't release him after only 3 years. He will work between 4-7 years for them under the pay schedule they agreed upon.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »
Football is one sport I don't mind seeing a player get as much $$ as possible when they can. These guys are literally one play away on every play from being paralyzed the rest of their lives. On top of the fact the abuse their bodies take....I don't mind them getting paid. Same goes for Hockey players. The abuse on their bodies is insane.

Baseball is where I think those contracts are silly.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
Let's add that football contracts are not fully guaranteed.  Hence the front loaded contracts.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
And isn't there usually a choice that has to be made as to whether the guarantee is for skill or injury (but not both)?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
The Eagles have been champs for less than a week and have already been taken out of the thread title?  Cold blooded.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
The Eagles have been champs for less than a week and have already been taken out of the thread title?  Cold blooded.

I agree with rhis.  Put them back up.  Well deserved .

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread v. FLY EAGLES FLY
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
Fine by me!