3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185146 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread v. Philadelphia Freedom
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »
Sitting a guy when the worst case scenario is going 13-3 or 12-4 is one thing.  Sitting a guy which arguably was a factor in the SB loss is another thing.  Seems as though BB did nothing other than prove that being the alpha in control is more important than fielding the best talent.

Which, long term, it is.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2018, 05:32:29 AM »
There are reports that McDaniels is backing out of the Indy job....

I am shocked that a coach who was fired in his first head coaching stint for getting caught cheating would do a team dirty like this.
That was actually pretty funny.

If McDaniels backs out of the Indy job it's because he's going to coach the Patriots.

This is the first thing I thought of.  Kraft must have promised him the throne.  Dilly dilly. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2018, 05:45:30 AM »
Regarding the Malcolm Butler situation, here it how I see it:

If we can assume for the sake of argument that Butler did something that was worthy of being disciplined by the Belichick Standard, which is a pretty safe assumption, what is the problem?

Remember when many crushed Mike Tomlin for going easy on LeVeon Bell last month for being late to a game? Everyone disagreed that it was the exact opposite of the way that Belichick would have handled it, because Belichick will discipline you.

Now, he just did that, and suddenly it is an issue?

"But it was the Super Bowl!"

Doesn't matter. The Belichick Standard applies at all times.  He is not going to relax it for Game 1, Game 17 or the Super Bowl. 

It's easy to say, "he cost them the Super Bowl by not playing Butler," but by holding players to his standard 365 days a year, how many games has he won them because players knew they had to live up to and adhere to that standard at all times?  More than we can count. 

And let us not forget, Belichick is the GOAT because his coaching style is a disciplinary one, yet all of a sudden we want to criticize him for disciplining a player?  Come on.  Doing what he did Sunday is part of Belichick's coaching DNA and everyone should know this by now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:12 AM »
^ agreed

Also, kind of loving the drama in New England  :lol

I'm sure they'll get their shit together though

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2018, 06:21:06 AM »
Kev, agreed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »

If we can assume for the sake of argument that Butler did something that was worthy of being disciplined by the Belichick Standard, which is a pretty safe assumption, what is the problem?

Remember when many crushed Mike Tomlin for going easy on LeVeon Bell last month for being late to a game? Everyone disagreed that it was the exact opposite of the way that Belichick would have handled it, because Belichick will discipline you.

Doesn't matter. The Belichick Standard applies at all times.  He is not going to relax it for Game 1, Game 17 or the Super Bowl. 

It's easy to say, "he cost them the Super Bowl by not playing Butler," but by holding players to his standard 365 days a year, how many games has he won them because players knew they had to live up to and adhere to that standard at all times?  More than we can count. 

And let us not forget, Belichick is the GOAT because his coaching style is a disciplinary one, yet all of a sudden we want to criticize him for disciplining a player?  Come on.  Doing what he did Sunday is part of Belichick's coaching DNA and everyone should know this by now.

100% agree with this. Butler fucked up and Belichick held him accountable. I actually think it takes bigger balls to hold people accountable than to go soft, even it is the Super Bowl. This is why the Patriots have been good for so lng.

In regards to McDaniels I'm not going to throw shade him. We recently had this same thing happen at my job. We interviewed a lady who was AMAZING. She accepted but when she went to put her two weeks in at her current job they offered a big raise and she changed her mind. It sucked but I understand that people have to what's best for them sometimes. I think McDaniels will be the next coach of the Patriots when Bill leaves. He's probably got a raise and doesn't have to move his family. Plus, I think the Colts are dumpster fire even with Luck. Good choice by McDaniels.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
I don't disagree with doing what's best for you, but I think the difference in your example and this case is that there's only 32 NFL head coaching jobs that exist.  Those opportunities don't come up in the grand scheme of things compared to any other job.  Burning that bridge means he probably cut his chances of being an NFL coach with not only Indy, but probably a few more franchises that don't like that flip flop.  Granted, I agree with the thought that he's likely the next Pats coach, but I'm not entirely sure he made the best choice or not.  As much as I kind of wanted him to be the next NYG coach, I am glad he didn't string them along in the process.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
But I don't think he intentionally strung Indy along. It sounds like he went to clean out his office and say good bye and Kraft and Belichick had a conversation with him then. Sounds like it really was a last second decision that he didn't intend on making. I get it doesn't look good and I'm sure it pissed off the Colts but that offer had to be pretty sweet to burn a lot of future bridges.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »
Yea, this may be the best decision, I just don't know if it's really clear that it is.  Maybe BB told him a timeline for when he will retire, but sometimes these big time coaches hang on much longer than they say they will and the head coach waiting behind ends up leaving anyway.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
Not sure how I feel about the Broncos getting Cousins. On the one hand, getting him would give us a top 10-12 QB, but on the other hand, paying him the money he wants will mean having to get rid of some good players to get under the cap.

Good point.  They need to improve the offensive line or it doesn't really matter who plays QB.  On the other hand, if they draft one of the bust-in-waiting QBs at #5, they'll have to throw a shload of first round money at him, so maybe Cousins is the best option for a tough situation.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »
From what I've read, there is no hard promise or guarantee; nothing in writing.   

Other rumors (for the record I put little faith in any of them, except possibly the first):
- It's been denied, but that Luck's health factored in (i.e it's not looking good).
- Irsay's drinking factored in (and Kraft pointed that out)
- Kraft threw a shitload of cash at him, all with the purpose of screwing over the Colts in response to blowing the whistle on Deflate gate.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
Irsay's drinking is a real issue if it's leading to coaches wanting to stay away. I'd be really mad if I were a Colts fan.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »

Dear lord, yes this. I agree 100%.

Fans in Pittsburgh are dying for a coach to discipline players. I back BB's call on this 100%.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »

Fully agreed, well said.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »
Regarding Malcolm Butler, I get what you guys are saying but at the same time it also feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face to a degree. The reason you have that discipline in place is because you think it will ultimately help your team win the Super Bowl, but I think there's conflict in a case like this where enforcing that discipline potentially hurts your chances of winning a Super Bowl, because you're playing in the Super Bowl. I even get benching him for the first series or first quarter (if I recall correctly that's what Wes Welker got for make not so veiled foot jokes ahead of playing Rex Ryan and the Jets in the playoffs), but at a certain point I find it hard to keep someone who could potentially be helping your secondary (which is getting lit up) on the bench for the entire game. Especially given from everything I've heard it was a minor infraction.

As far as Josh McDaniels goes, I don't think he was purposely stringing Indy along, and I do think he has the right to change his mind about what's best for him at any point up until the ink is dry on the contract. I do think he also handled it poorly though, as I heard that the assistants he handpicked who had already signed on with Indy never heard from him and found out with the rest of us when it went public. I'd imagine that there's a verbal agreement in place for him to follow Belichick (though the Rooney rule prevents that from ever being official), because this would definitely impact him if he tried to find a gig elsewhere next year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
Regarding Malcolm Butler, I get what you guys are saying but at the same time it also feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face to a degree. The reason you have that discipline in place is because you think it will ultimately help your team win the Super Bowl...

I disagree.  And, more importantly, I think Belichick would disagree.  The goal, to him, isn't winning the Super Bowl.  The goal is winning (or not) the right way.  Discipline is a huge part of that.  I think he would rather lose a game, even the Super Bowl itself, than lose control of player discipline.

If you disagree over whether that should be the goal, that's your prerogative.  But I think you are mistaken in that you misunderstand what the goal actually is.  Playing with discipline and dignity, regardless of the outcome, is his goal.  But winning tends to be a natural byproduct of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »
Regarding Malcolm Butler, I get what you guys are saying but at the same time it also feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face to a degree. The reason you have that discipline in place is because you think it will ultimately help your team win the Super Bowl, but I think there's conflict in a case like this where enforcing that discipline potentially hurts your chances of winning a Super Bowl, because you're playing in the Super Bowl. I even get benching him for the first series or first quarter (if I recall correctly that's what Wes Welker got for make not so veiled foot jokes ahead of playing Rex Ryan and the Jets in the playoffs), but at a certain point I find it hard to keep someone who could potentially be helping your secondary (which is getting lit up) on the bench for the entire game. Especially given from everything I've heard it was a minor infraction.

Here's the thing though - if you bend in this instance, it basically negates everything BB's culture has stood for all these years. The team is bigger than the individual, "do your job", etc... all that is thrown out the window. Then BB has basically become...every other NFL coach (all of whom have never won like BB has).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
I don't think game would have turned out any differently if Butler played. The Patriots defense has been an issue all season. I think their stats looked better on paper due to their relatively weak schedule. If I was a Lions fan I would not be happy with the Patricia hire.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
Regarding Malcolm Butler, I get what you guys are saying but at the same time it also feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face to a degree. The reason you have that discipline in place is because you think it will ultimately help your team win the Super Bowl...

I disagree.  And, more importantly, I think Belichick would disagree.  The goal, to him, isn't winning the Super Bowl.  The goal is winning (or not) the right way

Is it really?  That doesn't sound like the BB who lead teams with two scandals.  He seems to have a win at all costs (and under my rules, hence the discipline because I agree, that's part of winning) type of mentality from my understanding/feelings about him.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
I don't think game would have turned out any differently if Butler played. The Patriots defense has been an issue all season. I think their stats looked better on paper due to their relatively weak schedule. If I was a Lions fan I would not be happy with the Patricia hire.
Yes and no. The D has been an issue because of really, really shoddy tackling, and that's at the core of what sank them on Sunday. So yeah, they would have gotten torched. At the same time you take away a one or two of those 3rd and longs, which MB might very well have done, and it's a very different game regardless.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2018, 01:29:54 PM »
Hoodie Jr's agent just dropped him. I have always really disliked him. This just reinforces my feelings.

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-agent-reportedly-terminates-relationship-colts-fiasco-184708378.html

Regarding Butler, there is a lot of he said-he said stuff going around. Sounds like the locker room was really pissed about the benching and many players have come out in support of him, including Brady. Butler even put out a statement disputing everything about curfew issues.

It's nice to see the Pats have some dirty laundry for once. Things aren't so smooth in Hoodieland.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »

I disagree.  And, more importantly, I think Belichick would disagree.  The goal, to him, isn't winning the Super Bowl.  The goal is winning (or not) the right way

Is it really?  That doesn't sound like the BB who lead teams with two scandals.  He seems to have a win at all costs (and under my rules, hence the discipline because I agree, that's part of winning) type of mentality from my understanding/feelings about him.

I can very easily differentiate between a scandal like "signals" (which EVERY team in the league does, and, in baseball, I can remember doing back in high school) and a disciplinary issue of ONE PLAYER like blowing curfew or huffing weed the day before the big game.  One is at least nominally trying to have every edge possible, which is exactly what the discipline is. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
So..Kev's post is getting a lot of play, and I agree with what he said, but.....

The Patriots are on record as this was not a discipline issue, but a football issue. Adam Schefter reported as much again this morning, which is basically the same as the Pats going on the record. He has a direct line to the team.

So, if this was truly a football issue, does anyone buy that? If he was good enough to play the most defensive snaps this year, and 100% of the snaps in the two playoff games, suddenly he's a football liability? And if it was truly a football decision, why not 1. adjust when the D is getting torched, and 2. dress someone else that could help them. Alan Branch maybe, who might've helped with the 7+ Run Yds against.

Most Pats fans are fine if Butler committed a major violation and Belichick sent him home. But if he's going to dress, and take up a roster spot, then what the hell is going on with that?

Yes and no. The D has been an issue because of really, really shoddy tackling, and that's at the core of what sank them on Sunday. So yeah, they would have gotten torched. At the same time you take away a one or two of those 3rd and longs, which MB might very well have done, and it's a very different game regardless.

And there's the rub. Butler was the team's best tackler. And in a game where a half dozen plays that go either way makes the difference, it makes no sense to not play him, even if there was some point to prove, at some point you make the adjustment.

And Josh is definitely a weasel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
You are also forgetting the domino effect taking out Butler who played 98% of all the snaps all year. Now guys are playing out of position in different spots in the game plan had to change slightly. this was a huge mistake by Belichick.

There was also signs of McDaniels hesitating on the Cindy job multiple interviews again during the Super Bowl week and leaks about him hesitating. I just thought after the Super Bowl it was a done deal him going to Indy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2018, 03:21:23 PM »
You are also forgetting the domino effect taking out Butler who played 98% of all the snaps all year. Now guys are playing out of position in different spots in the game plan had to change slightly. this was a huge mistake by Belichick.
...and with basically no notice.

There was also signs of McDaniels hesitating on the Cindy job 

You think people would be lining up for a...um...Cindy job. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
Who the hell is this guy??  :lol

Even had Josh actually gone to Indy, I wasn't going to pay any intention. But I am totally going to follow Patricia. By all accounts, he's a great guy and the players loved him.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »
If this was behavior based. BB would have been better served to hold Butler out of the first drive, or the first quarter. Having him sit the entire game hurt the entire franchise. Six Lombardis would have been huge. He screwed every stakeholder of the franchise, from the owner down to the fans. And for what? What did Malcom Butler do to deserve this?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
If this was behavior based. BB would have been better served to hold Butler out of the first drive, or the first quarter. Having him sit the entire game hurt the entire franchise. Six Lombardis would have been huge. He screwed every stakeholder of the franchise, from the owner down to the fans. And for what? What did Malcom Butler do to deserve this?

Yes, DOC. Bingo. That's what I'm saying.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »

Dear lord, yes this. I agree 100%.

Fans in Pittsburgh are dying for a coach to discipline players. I back BB's call on this 100%.

Ask the Rex Ryan era Jets and Bils what a player friendly coach does for you.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
There was also signs of McDaniels hesitating on the Cindy job 

You think people would be lining up for a...um...Cindy job. ;D

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
 :lol

Exactly!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »

I'm with Axe/Doc/TAC on this one.  Also, I think anyone who thinks it being called a "football issue" has anything to do with Butler's ability to play the game is nuts.  Every and anything is/can be called a "football" issue.  It's not like it was a soccer or basketball issue  :lol.  Of course it was a "football" issue.  This is BB's dry way of saying "none of your fucking business".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »
Here's what Schefter said on WEEI this morning:

“Having spoken to a couple of different people about the situation, maybe I am missing something and maybe they are missing something and didn’t know something, but the way it was explained to me was, this was strictly a performance-based decision,” Schefter said.
“Now, again, I am just telling you I understand he played over 97 percent of the snaps (this season). He made one of the two greatest defensive plays in Super Bowl history. He has been somebody they’ve counted on. It defies logic to think that somebody you have counted on that much in the past all of the sudden is not important, but I am just telling you what was told to me. You can believe it or not.
“I was told (he) hasn’t practiced well, hasn’t played well, hasn’t practiced well this season, hasn’t played well this season, and they decided to go in a different direction.”

Like I said, this might as well be the Pats on the record statement. Now it may be something totally else, but that's the story straight from the Patriots.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »

Exactly!

Indy, Cindy, both little sisters. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »

Exactly!

Indy, Cindy, both little sisters. :lol

Hell, the Pats were lucky to be Jan-sonville in the AFC CG.

Yeah..so bad..I know.. :lol