3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185100 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
 :-X2017 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49579.0
2016 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45952.0
2015 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43237.0
2014 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40900.0
2013 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36033.0
2012 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31774.0

2018 NFL THREAD

The 2017 NFL season was another memorable one. We saw incredible finishes, devastating injuries and plenty of controversy, such as what constitutes a catch, something that the league hopefully figures out the rule and enforcement in the offseason. We saw a 40 year old win league MVP. We saw rookie RBs make instant impacts. And for at least the 4th time, we’ve seen a backup QB defeat a HoF level QB to win the Super Bowl.

2017 saw the Philadelphia Eagles exorcised some serious demons, and despite losing their MVP candidate QB, perennial all-pro left tackle, starting middle linebacker, gadget RB & kicker, have won the Super Bowl, giving the Eagles their first league championship since 1960, when they defeated Lombardi’s Packers for the NFL Championship.

The NFL truly has a yearlong calendar, and all 32 teams are preparing for the 2018 season. Incoming rookies will soon be poked and prodded. Names like Darnold, Rosen, Allen and maybe Jackson and Mayfield will be drafted to teams hungry for a young, franchise QB. If Kirk Cousins can be freed up from team control, he will have his pick from a number of suitors, a couple, such as Denver and Minnesota may be a quarterback away.

New coaches in Oakland, New York (Giants), Tennessee, Chicago, Arizona, Detroit and Indy.).

A star studded HoF class of 2018 including Lewis, Moss, Owens, Dawkins and Urlacher.

A few of the upcoming dates:
February 20th  – First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players
February 27th-March 5th – Combine. 
March 14th  – First day of the 2018 league year.
April 26th-28th – NFL Draft in Arlington, TX (Cleveland is on the clock!)
August 2-5 – Hall of Fame Weekend.
September 6th – 2018 Season kick off game, Philadelphia to host one of the following teams: Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston, Indianapolis or Minnesota   
February 3rd 2019 – Super Bowl LIII, to be played in Atlanta.

Where does your team stand heading into 2018? What moves would you like to see them make, be it in the draft or free agency?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:01:48 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread v. Philadelphia Freedom
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22310495/bold-nfl-predictions-2018-season-new-york-jets-sign-kirk-cousins-super-bowl-liii-pick-more

10 Bold Predictions from an ESPN Writer:

1. Free-agent quarterback Kirk Cousins signs with the Jets
2. Odell Beckham Jr. sits out at least one regular-season game
3. There are a least five new playoff teams, including the Jets, Chargers, Raiders, Packers and 49ers
4. Le'Veon Bell signs a contract extension with the Steelers
5. Josh Allen is the first pick in the April's draft ... but he doesn't start a game in 2018
6. Six more teams change head coaches after the 2018 season
7. Nick Foles leads the Eagles to a 3-1 start while Carson Wentz continues his rehab
8. Andrew Luck returns and plays all 16 games for the Colts
9. The NFL changes the catch rule to appease fans and increase scoring
10. The Saints will beat the Steelers in Super Bowl LIII

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
Are they saying how long Wentz will be out DOC?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »

No chance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:51:16 AM »
Are they saying how long Wentz will be out DOC?

They believe that he's on track to return early in the season. He may not be ready in time for week one. I hope he doesn't overdo it trying to come back as soon as he can, especially if Foles is still on the roster.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
I wonder what Foles' contract status is. You'd think he gets some looks to start somewhere else.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
Looking forward to a better year of football from my team.  They haven't had such a high draft pick in awhile so it'll be interesting to see what they do. (Giants)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:56 AM »
I wonder what Foles' contract status is. You'd think he gets some looks to start somewhere else.

Foles is still under team control for 2018 (he signed a 2 year deal prior to the start of the 2017 season). With Wentz on a rookie deal, that's not too much salary for the QB position, so the Eagles would be smart to keep him, unless some QB-desperate team comes along with an unreal deal for Foles. but I'm not sure what the market for his services would be with Cousins and this batch of rookie QBs coming along.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »
Yeah, well, he's just the SB MVP.. ;D

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
Looking forward to a better year of football from my team.  They haven't had such a high draft pick in awhile so it'll be interesting to see what they do. (Giants)

Do you like one of the rookie QBs better than the others? Would you rather see them grab Barkley with their first pick, and perhaps take a chance on Mayfield or Jackson later in the draft?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:58:43 AM »
Yeah, well, he's just the SB MVP.. ;D

Absolutely. His trade value has never been higher. So we'll see if anyone makes an offer for him.

I'd imagine this is yet another indictment on the shitshow Jeff Fisher had going in St. Louis/LA.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »

Do you like one of the rookie QBs better than the others? Would you rather see them grab Barkley with their first pick, and perhaps take a chance on Mayfield or Jackson later in the draft?

I'm not high on Darnold, but not sure about Rosen.  I'd be cool with the Giants taking Barkley though, since I am a PSU grad, I'd love to continue to root for him on my NFL team, but the problem with the Giants is their offensive line.  They aren't going to just be able to plug a top pick back there and expect him to be productive and not get hurt until they fix that first. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »
Foles deserved a handshake from Brady. Kind of a douche move there.

Bring on 2018!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 08:04:23 AM »
Yeah, I heard that. Can't argue with that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:07:17 AM »
Foles deserved a handshake from Brady. Kind of a douche move there.

Yeah, love Brady as a QB, but there is no excuse for that, totally classless move.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Yeah, can't disagree there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 08:30:08 AM »

No chance.

Yeah seriously. I can't see a Tomlin team winning or even getting to a Super Bowl at this point, just not going to happen.

Also -

4. Le'Veon Bell signs a contract extension with the Steelers

As a Steelers fan, I can honestly say I hope this does not happen.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »
As far as Brady snubbing Foles, doesn't seem like he did it on purpose, or maybe he did. Brady seems like a decent guy so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/did-tom-brady-snub-nick-foles-on-super-bowl-handshake-lets-look-at-the-evidence/

As far as next season I'm pessimistic for the Chiefs and optimistic for the Vikings (my two favorite teams). I think the Chiefs end up 8-8 or worse and Reid gets fired. I think the Vikings will return to the playoffs and win the division. It will be interesting to see what they do at QB, but that defense will win them a lot of games regardless.

As for the rest of the NFL, I think Cousins goes to Denver or Buffalo. I think the Giants are the most improved team. Division Champs predictions below:

AFC
North- Steelers: This division is a mess from top to bottom and this pick is a total crap shoot.
South- Jaguars: This team is solid on both sides of the ball though I think the Texans will be a contender if they stay healthy.
East- Bills: Probably crazy but they have a lot pieces in place and a good young coach. Just need a QB.
West- Chiefs: Might be a fan pick, but honestly this division is wide open.

NFC
North- Vikings: Packers are close but the Vikings defense give them the edge
South- Saints: Another wide open division
East- Eagles: Hard to pick against the Champs.
West- 49ers- They are going to be contenders next year.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »
Seems totally in line with the image I have of Brady as a person.

Otherwise I had a blast watching the big game. Got together with a whole bunch of people, hung out, played some games, had fun. The game itself doesn't start until like 1am where I live so it was a long night, and it always gets a bit weird towards the end, but it was still a good time like always.

I was so nervous and sure that Patriots would win again so watching Eagles get the title was fantastic.

Looking forward to a better year of football from my team. (Giants)

Right there with 'ya, buddy.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
The Colts hiring of McDaniels as their next Head Coach has been "officially" announced.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22344934/indianapolis-colts-hire-josh-mcdaniels-head-coach

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 09:51:10 AM »
Good luck doing something with no money since they paid Luck so much.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »

No chance.

Yeah seriously. I can't see a Tomlin team winning or even getting to a Super Bowl at this point, just not going to happen.

It wasn't Tomlin I was talking about. I was talking about the league's most overrated coach down in NO.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »

No chance.

It wasn't Tomlin I was talking about. I was talking about the league's most overrated coach down in NO.

Tomlin is coaching in NO now?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »
No, Tomlin is in Pittsburgh.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
New Orleans was a freak play away from beating Minnesota and moving on to Philly. Had that happened, who knows, perhaps Brees and Payton deliver Championship #2.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »
These things are all so fleeting. The Pats are a helmet catch away from a perfect season.

I'm talking Payton's entire body of work. I posted the stats in the old thread and they were pretty much ignored.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
If he had a hand in trading Cooks and drafting the OPOY and DPOY, then I'd say Payton is far from the most overrated. Perhaps his weaknesses have been hid by Brees, but I always liked him when he was coming up as a coordinator. Of course that bountygate stuff was bad times.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
He's basically averaged a 9-7 record with a HOF QB. I think it averaged out to like 9.2 to 6.8 or something like that.
I want to say he's only made the playoffs in half of his years with Brees. It's slightly more than half.. I'll try and find the original post.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:20:15 AM by TAC »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »
I have real concerns for my Broncos.

They have a potentially world-class defense, but their skill position players are, as a whole rather mediocre.  I love Demaryius Thomas, but he always seems to under-perform.  Emmanuel Sanders is a solid #3 receiver who is the #2 on the Broncos.  The rest of the depth chart is woefully shallow.  The tight ends and running backs are rather forgettable.  And then you have the quarterback situation.  They seem to be throwing in the towel on Paxton Lynch, which leaves Trevor Siemian and Brock Osweiler.  I honestly think all three of those guys have some upside, but the offensive line is mostly trash.

There are so many areas of needed improvement, but almost every mock draft I've seen has the Broncos taking yet another quarterback.  None of the top 4 QBs this year sound like "can't miss" prospects, so I really think that's a bad idea.  Seems to me that the best thing to do would be to trade down for multiple picks and maybe an established player (or whatever is reasonable).

By the way, Sean Payton's career record over 11 seasons (which does not include the 2012 season when he was suspended) is 105-71, which averages to 9.55-6.45.  He's had four 7-9 seasons (including each season from 2014-16) and one at 8-8, and the rest have been 10 or more wins.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
So after Dont'a Hightower "liked" Brandon Browner's post yesterday, Tom Brady "liked" Malcolm Butler's twitter post today, which was subsequently "liked" by a boatload of guys, current and former players.

Brady also followed it up with a personal message.

Belichick will be lucky to not have a mutiny on his hands, and deservedly so.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
So after Dont'a Hightower "liked" Brandon Browner's post yesterday, Tom Brady "liked" Malcolm Butler's twitter post today, which was subsequently "liked" by a boatload of guys, current and former players.

Brady also followed it up with a personal message.

Belichick will be lucky to not have a mutiny on his hands, and deservedly so.

There are other reports that a lot of players were not happy with Malcolm being late for the curfew and his lackadaisical play in practice.  Who the hell knows.

All I know is if you do something wrong in the BB era, he will sit you. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »
What players have said anything along those lines?