3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185290 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Kansas City Chiefs
« Reply #840 on: June 07, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
"... After visiting Canton earlier this year, I came to the realization that I wish to celebrate what will be one of the most memorable days of my life, elsewhere."

I think people are expected to "take one for the team." I think plenty of players would much rather throw a big-ass party of their own with friends, teammates, and family to celebrate the crowning achievement of their professional career.

It's not like he can't do both -- especially since he said he'll announce "where and when" this alternate celebration will occur.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: June 07, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »
Owens is basically throwing a tantrum because they made him wait a few years.  I would expect nothing less from him.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: June 07, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
I'm already thinking ahead to the 49ers Mt. Rushmore.  I mean, I think there are probably four easy choices.  But there are so many potential legitimate runners-up that it's a shame don't make the cut, one of whom is Dwight Clark.  Anyway, I don't mean to get ahead of myself...

Your wait is caused by their success.....and their Mount Rushmore will rival any other franchise for sure.  But if it's any consolation, we'll be talking about a team that beat a good, but not great 49er team en route to their only Super Bowl win.

Today 's team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
League Championships: 1 (2002)

My Mount Rushmore would be Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber & Lee Roy Selmon.  Honorable mention to John Lynch, Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott & Tony Dungy.

LOVE the creamsicles and original helmet. Also liked the pewter pirates re-branding. Not so sure about the current look.

Memorable games for me. The Eagles and Raider games during their Super Bowl run & MNF against the Colts in 2003.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Tampa Bay Buccaneers
« Reply #843 on: June 07, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
The most memorable Bucs regular season game I have seen was their win over the Rams in the 2000 season.  That game was pure excitement from start to finish.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200012180tam.htm

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #844 on: June 07, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
I'm already thinking ahead to the 49ers Mt. Rushmore.  I mean, I think there are probably four easy choices.  But there are so many potential legitimate runners-up that it's a shame don't make the cut, one of whom is Dwight Clark.  Anyway, I don't mean to get ahead of myself...

Your wait is caused by their success.....and their Mount Rushmore will rival any other franchise for sure.   

Oh, no worries.  I'm not complaining.  But Dwight Clark's passing got me thinking about it.

LOVE the creamsicles and original helmet. Also liked the pewter pirates re-branding. Not so sure about the current look.

I like the color scheme of the new look, but the design itself just doesn't work.  The numbers look goofy, and the flag on the helmet is way too big.

Never did care for the original look all that much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #845 on: June 07, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
My Mount Rushmore would be Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, and Lee Roy Selmon.  Honorable mention to Doug Williams and Testaverde.  I love Doug Williams.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #846 on: June 07, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
Today 's team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
League Championships: 1 (2002)

My Mount Rushmore would be Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber & Lee Roy Selmon.  Honorable mention to John Lynch, Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott & Tony Dungy.

Memorable games for me. The Eagles and Raider games during their Super Bowl run & MNF against the Colts in 2003.

Mt. Rushmore:  Lee Roy Selmon, Doug Williams, Warren Sapp and either Derrick Brooks or John Lynch

Memorable games would be the demolition of the Raiders in Super Bowl 37 and the NFC Championship Game leading up to Super Bowl 14.  The Rams kicked three field goals for the only scoring in the game.  It was such a BAD game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: June 08, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Today's team, the New Orleans Saints
1 League Championship (2009)

My Mount Rushmore would be Drew Brees, Willie Roaf, Archie Manning, Rickey Jackson

Jerseys and helmets aren't too great in my opinion. Bottom half in the league for sure.

For many years, this team was a laughing stock. A hurricane displaced them, but Drew Brees and company came back to New Orleans with a vengeance, becoming regular playoff contenders and grabbing a Super Bowl Championship along the way.  Mired by controversy with "Bountygate" and last season, finding themselves on the wrong side of one of the craziest endings in playoff history the Saints have had many memorable moments. Memorable games for me would be the Wild Card game vs. the Rams after the 2000 season,  that first MNF game back in New Orleans after the hurricane against Atlanta. Their Super Bowl Win and of course that game against the Vikings from this past postseason.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The New Orleans Saints
« Reply #848 on: June 08, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
See, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Saints uniforms.   LOVE them.   (And I dig that picture with the "throw back jersey"). 

Mt. Rushmore:  Brees; Manning; Andersen; and for the fourth spot, I love Chuck Muncie, Danny Abramowicz, Steve Gleason, Deuce McAlliser, Willie Roaf and Ricky Jackson, but for sentimental reasons, I go with Sam Mills.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #849 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:32 AM »
Today's team, the New Orleans Saints
1 League Championship (2009)

My Mount Rushmore would be Drew Brees, Willie Roaf, Archie Manning, Rickey Jackson

Jerseys and helmets aren't too great in my opinion. Bottom half in the league for sure.

For many years, this team was a laughing stock. A hurricane displaced them, but Drew Brees and company came back to New Orleans with a vengeance, becoming regular playoff contenders and grabbing a Super Bowl Championship along the way.  Mired by controversy with "Bountygate" and last season, finding themselves on the wrong side of one of the craziest endings in playoff history the Saints have had many memorable moments. Memorable games for me would be the Wild Card game vs. the Rams after the 2000 season,  that first MNF game back in New Orleans after the hurricane against Atlanta. Their Super Bowl Win and of course that game against the Vikings from this past postseason.

Not a lot of memorable games beyond Super Bowl 44.

Mt. Rushmore:  Brees, Roaf, Archie Manning and Steve Gleason.

The uniforms are very good.  The black and gold color scheme is cool and unique.  The fleur-de-lis is simple and reflective of the city.  Not sure what's not to like about them.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #850 on: June 08, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »
Redditor who scooped everybody with the JE suspension yesterday is promising a far bigger story in a few hours. Dude might be FOS, but he did scoop all of the NLF heavyweight reporters by the better part of day yesterday, so you never know.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: June 08, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »
Redditor who scooped everybody with the JE suspension yesterday is promising a far bigger story in a few hours. Dude might be FOS, but he did scoop all of the NLF heavyweight reporters by the better part of day yesterday, so you never know.

For a while there were TWO blockbuster stories supposedly on the horizon, one suspected of being a Gronk trade, though that has specifically denied by "those close to the situation".   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #852 on: June 08, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/adamkurkjian

"From multiple sources, here's what I have re: the Gronk rumors. Told Belichick wanted to trade him. Offers on the table w both the Titans and 49ers. He and Robert Kraft had a closed-door meeting to discuss. Tom Brady threatened to retire if the deal went through. Kraft nixed it."

:omg:

Damn!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: June 08, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
Would have been awesome to see him reunited with the GOAT Jimmy G out in SF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #854 on: June 08, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
It was flatly denied by Pats spokesman Stacy James emphatically.  If theirs smoke he wouldn't do that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: June 08, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »
It was flatly denied by Pats spokesman Stacy James emphatically.  If theirs smoke he wouldn't do that.

Yup, right after he got off the phone with Kraft. Seriously Joe, you believe Stacey James on this?

No way!

This was going down.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: June 08, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »
I do. Because when there is something to it, they would work it with a no comment or spin it.  Find it online Tim.  It was that strong of a response.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #857 on: June 08, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »
I would have been way cool with Trading Gronk. I wanted him gone six weeks ago.

The reason I'm having trouble with the whole thing is that I don't think BB would still be there if he weren't running the show as he's always been. All the rumors we've been hearing make it abundantly clear that TB runs the show and Bill is just there as a administrator. Does anybody think BB would still be there if that were the case? I don't.  My hunch is that if all of the scuttlebutt we've been hearing were true we'd be talking about JMD's team and how the future might look while Bill putters around on the VII Rings. Moreover, I'm not sure that Kraft is that daft. I don't think he'd undersell the greatest coach ever in favor of a QB on his last legs. He's smart enough to know that you let Bill do his thing to future-proof the team, rather than jettison him for one last year with Brady. Bob Kraft is not Jerry Jones.

BTW, the Redditor who scooped everybody on the JE suspension just made one helluva guess.  :lol   On Wed he heard a rumor that something bad was fixing to happen, and he pulled the suspension right out of his ass and posted it that night. When it turned out to be true the next afternoon the rumor mill ran wild about who the mysterious inside source must be.  I bring this guy up because the big story he was going to "break" this evening was that TB was lobbying hard to have JMD take over immediately. He's made clear that it was complete fiction.  Had he done it, though, it'd be regarded as gospel tomorrow as SI and ESPN ran with it. Easy to see how these sorts of things spread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #858 on: June 08, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »
Ricky Williams has to be on the Saints Mt Rushmore, wedding dress and all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
El Barto.  You would have loved hearing the 2 local sports radio stations waiting for his second Redit post at 5pm.  :lol

It was glorious.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #861 on: June 09, 2018, 03:07:58 AM »
I'm not sure how good of a career he had (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment), but I always think kindly of Craig "Iron Head" Heyward when I think about the Saints. He'd probably be in "honorable mention" status for a lot of people.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #862 on: June 09, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
I'm not sure how good of a career he had (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment), but I always think kindly of Craig "Iron Head" Heyward when I think about the Saints. He'd probably be in "honorable mention" status for a lot of people.
Dude certainly wins the "best nickname ever" award.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: June 09, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
I would have been way cool with Trading Gronk. I wanted him gone six weeks ago.

The reason I'm having trouble with the whole thing is that I don't think BB would still be there if he weren't running the show as he's always been. All the rumors we've been hearing make it abundantly clear that TB runs the show and Bill is just there as a administrator. Does anybody think BB would still be there if that were the case? I don't.  My hunch is that if all of the scuttlebutt we've been hearing were true we'd be talking about JMD's team and how the future might look while Bill putters around on the VII Rings. Moreover, I'm not sure that Kraft is that daft. I don't think he'd undersell the greatest coach ever in favor of a QB on his last legs. He's smart enough to know that you let Bill do his thing to future-proof the team, rather than jettison him for one last year with Brady. Bob Kraft is not Jerry Jones.

BTW, the Redditor who scooped everybody on the JE suspension just made one helluva guess.  :lol   On Wed he heard a rumor that something bad was fixing to happen, and he pulled the suspension right out of his ass and posted it that night. When it turned out to be true the next afternoon the rumor mill ran wild about who the mysterious inside source must be.  I bring this guy up because the big story he was going to "break" this evening was that TB was lobbying hard to have JMD take over immediately. He's made clear that it was complete fiction.  Had he done it, though, it'd be regarded as gospel tomorrow as SI and ESPN ran with it. Easy to see how these sorts of things spread.

That's the one thing that makes no sense about the rumors; they all require a sea-change out of Brady to be true, and I just don't see that.  Unless Giselle really is the second coming of Yoko Ono, it really doesn't make sense that Brady is going to put in 20 years of hard time, only to upset the apple cart when he has a chance to really make history that hasn't been seen since George Blanda.   He's got the best coach of all time there, he's got one of the top five owners of all time there... Brady is a lot of things, but he's not stupid.   The one caveat:  I see Brady being smart enough and self aware enough to say "You trade my starting left tackle, and I retire", because he doesn't want or need to be "Michael Vick/Robert Griffen III" back there.  But not Gronk.   Yeah, he helps, and yeah, he changes the game for the Pats, but I have no doubt that Tom Brady knows their record with and without him on the field (at one point, they were 20-5 WITHOUT Gronkowki playing https://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4808916/patriots-have-posted-20-5-record-in-games-without-rob-gronkowski)

I think we forget that Tom Brady has survived the losses of Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Corey Dillon, Aaron Hernandez, LeGarrett Blount (nine times), Nate Solder...  I get it, Gronk is one for the ages, but I don't see Brady making that his "Little Big Horn".

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: June 09, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »
As far as the Mount Rushmore of the Saints, I think Jim Hasslett deserves some consideration.  He really made them contenders for a stretch there.  As a Rams fan I loved the rabid relationship between him and Martz.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: June 12, 2018, 07:51:24 AM »
Today's team, the Seattle Seahawks!

1 League Championship (2013)

My Mount Rushmore would be Walter Jones, Steve Largent, Russell Wilson ,Earl Thomas

Honorable mention to Shaun Alexander, Patrick Kerney, Richard Sherman Bobby Wagner, Kam Chancellor and Beast Mode

Memorable games....All 3 Super Bowls were memorable for their own reasons. Matt Hasselbeck running his mouth after an OT cointoss against Green Bay in the playoffs. A wild shootout in Baltimore in 2003, and their NFC Playoff wins @Minnesota (Blair Walsh) and the NFC Championship games vs. SF and GB.

Loved their original uniforms and their 2002 overhaul.... 2012 Nike era? not so much, but I do like the highlighter green look.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Current Team : The Seattle Seahawks
« Reply #866 on: June 12, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
Man, I loved me some Zorn to Largent as a teen.  Lefty kid loving a lefty QB.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
The Seahawks; I remember as a kid collecting football cards and getting the Bucs and the Seahawks.  I think there were only about six or so cards for each team. 

My Mt. Rushmore:  Largent, Zorn, Alexander, and Wilson.    Boz gets an honorable mention just for being a dick.   I really don't like Lynch, so I put Alexander, and I'm not the hugest fan of Wilson, but he belongs there, no doubt.   I suppose I could put Thomas there instead, but...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #868 on: June 12, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
Today's team, the Seattle Seahawks!

1 League Championship (2013)

My Mount Rushmore would be Walter Jones, Steve Largent, Russell Wilson ,Earl Thomas

Honorable mention to Shaun Alexander, Patrick Kerney, Richard Sherman Bobby Wagner, Kam Chancellor and Beast Mode

Memorable games....All 3 Super Bowls were memorable for their own reasons. Matt Hasselbeck running his mouth after an OT cointoss against Green Bay in the playoffs. A wild shootout in Baltimore in 2003, and their NFC Playoff wins @Minnesota (Blair Walsh) and the NFC Championship games vs. SF and GB.

Mt. Rushmore (hard to avoid recency bias here):  Steve Largent, Jim Zorn, Russell Wilson Jr. III and either Earl Thomas or Marshawn Lynch.

Memorable games are Super Bowls 48 (sadly) and 49.  I'll never forget the deflated feeling I had when it seemed that this obnoxious team was going to win two straight Super Bowls, following by bouncing off the couch when Malcolm Butler made the interception.  Can't think of any others, even though, for a while, the Hawks were a division "rival" of the Broncos, but they were never on the same level as the other AFC West teams.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: June 12, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
Best play in Seahawks history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSOPrwb-mQc (background 0:00-1:30, Play starts at 1:30)

Seattle is a fair-weather sports fan base. Not as much history as other cities who have had their teams for decades longer, lots of transplants who weren't born and raised here. It was crazy to see how you were essentially an outcast if you weren't a DIE-HARD FAN of the team in 2013, when 9 out of 10 fans couldn't have named 3 players from the SBXL team. And now the fanbase has not only dwindled, but has been fractured due to the characters of some of the players (and one particular ex-player).

Regarding 2018, the championship window is closed. Enjoy the division Rams.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSOPrwb-mQc (background 0:00-1:30, Play starts at 1:30)

Weird... that link doesn't seem to go to Lynch's run against the Saints.  Although that was still pretty bad ass.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
That run sparked their run.  Put the Seahawks back on the map.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #872 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »

:lol  Okay, yeah, that IS pretty cool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #873 on: June 12, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »

Regarding 2018, the championship window is closed. Enjoy the division Rams.

As long as one of them goes to the playoffs, I'm happy.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: June 13, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »
We'll stick with the NFC West, as we move on to the teams with 2 league championships. Today we discuss the longest running professional football team in the United States, and one of only two NFL charter members still playing today.

The Arizona Cardinals, formally known as the Chicago/St.Louis/Phoenix Cardinals
2 League Championships (1925, 1947)

I don't know much about their pre-Phoenix days, so my Mount Rushmore would be Larry Fitzgerald, Kurt Warner, Aeneas Williams & Pat Tillman

Their uniforms are okay. Not bad, not great. Much preferred their look in the 90s/early 00s. 

Memorable games for me were the Super Bowl, their two recent playoff games against the Packers. And "We let 'em off the hook" game against Chicago in 2006.