3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185259 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty
« Reply #3325 on: February 04, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »
I'm going to go one better; they did so DESPITE all that goes on in the league; they have won with killer, shut-'em-down defenses.  They have won with downhill, five-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust running games.  They have won with 50-TD, 5,000 yard passing attacks.  They've won with four different OC's, and four different DC's (and by the by, Belichick is doing no favors for his staff; Patricia came out as a hero for making the most of a defense that didn't have a ton of personnel, and a guy that doesn't even get "DC" status - he's "Linebackers Coach and Head Play Caller" or some shit - does him one better and shuts down the best offense in the league in the Championship game then shuts down the best offense in the NFC in the Super Bowl.). They've won with hard-nosed gritty defense in an era where you get flagged for ripping the quarterback's Kleenex. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3326 on: February 04, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3327 on: February 04, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »

Don't look now, but you couch has "dynasty" written all over it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: February 04, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
I may have to buy a longer couch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3329 on: February 04, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
This couch has Dynasty written all over it.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3330 on: February 04, 2019, 04:02:04 PM »
This one too!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3331 on: February 04, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
Yeah, most people think "dynasty" when you say "Backstreet Boys."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3332 on: February 04, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
That weird because I never say Backstreet Boys.

Oops. Dammit Bosk!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: February 04, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
TAC is back, ALRIGHT!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3334 on: February 04, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
:rollin

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3335 on: February 04, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
That was as tolerable as a Pats win I can imagine.  Brady didn’t win it, BB and the defense did.  An ugly game would have been low scoring due to poor execution not caused by the opposition.  That was just not an exciting game based on the metrics lay fans consider exciting in this era.  My biggest complaint is that the MVP shouldn’t have been Edelman, but unfortunately offensive stats are more easily built up, and aren’t going to do something creative like share the award or give it to the DC.  Gilmore proved why he was the highest rated CB, and therefore isn’t going to get more than a handful of opportunities.  Multiple players made the right side of the Rams OL look confused and out-matched.  McCourty saved a TD on someone else’s busted coverage.  But Edelman gets a bunch of catches, most of them on non-scoring drives, but someone has to win the award.  I can’t recall a game where in recent memory where both D-lines were that dominant.

I seriously hate the Pats, but that defensive performance was a masterpiece.  *Vince Vaughn I hate you but respect you gif here*

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3336 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:32 AM »
Sheesh, what a year this ended up being. Brady plays like ass, has a 27 QBR, but since BB is a defensive wizard and the other QB was even stinkier ass, they win anyway. 13 points and a win  :facepalm:. The Rams' D deserved better, they balled all day and Cooks dropped 2 TD passes. One was Goff's fault for throwing an hour late but he should have held the other even while being interfered with a little. Also McVay's game plan sucked hard.

Yea I knew Brady would work his magic somehow for a win, dammit.  But I also question the Rams play calling.  Twice I remember them trying to throw on 3rd and 2, but then running it on 3rd and 22??  :facepalm: Cmon man!

How are the Chiefs favored to win the next one?  I know four straight SB's are next to impossible, but these are the Pats!!!  As much as I despise them, I can't deny their success. 

So you think football season is over now?  For the NFL, yes, but.....
https://aaf.com/   :metal

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3337 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
Something must have been going on with Gurly. They should have had him run the ball way more than they did in unless he's hurt.

Offline rab7

« Reply #3338 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
My biggest complaint is that the MVP shouldn’t have been Edelman, but unfortunately offensive stats are more easily built up, and aren’t going to do something creative like share the award or give it to the DC.

Yeah this was my exact feeling after SB 42. Sure Eli was clutch in leading his team, but the Defense held the highest scoring offense in NFL history to 14 points. The entire Defense should've been MVP

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3339 on: February 05, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »
Mason made a fine case for Gilmore as MVP. And he did have the game sealing pick. Edelman was the engine that kept them moving and kept them in possession in the first half, though, so I can see how he'd get the nod. I'd probably have given it to SG, myself, but I'm not too bent out of shape about it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: February 05, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »
Largest margin of victory for a Pats Super Bowl win, though.  So there's that.  :)

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #3341 on: February 05, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Something must have been going on with Gurly. They should have had him run the ball way more than they did in unless he's hurt.

Not a Rams fan or a Pats hater. The Rams offensive line play was terrible and therefore they couldn't establish a run game. I think Gurley had 1 run for over 10 yards. The Patriots defense seemed adamant about taking away the run so they could force the Rams to throw to expose the biggest weakness of the Rams offense - Goff. Look at what happened. Goff eventually throws a prayer up for grabs and it gets intercepted. That play decided the game. Belicheck knew what he was doing.

Goff looked terrible. He didn't look like a Super Bowl QB. Not that Brady had great stats either, but Goff looked confused. He didn't lose the game, but he didn't help the cause. He hurt his team more than he helped his team. I'm not sold on him being a long term NFL QB. He has the arm but his decision making is suspect and he seems to get rattled easily.

I do think Gurley has been dinged up since either week 15 or 16 with a knee issue. In the Super Bowl, I don't understand why you leave your best offensive player on the sideline on critical plays. At least put him in there to make the defense think about him. If Gurley asked to sit out plays, that's on him and that's crappy since it's the biggest game of your career at that point.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3342 on: February 05, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »
The Saints had him completely befuddled as well.  It wasn't until they got a little momentum with the fake punt, and then the run game got going a bit, that he looked even a little comfortable. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3343 on: February 05, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
RK, BB and TB make this a Dynasty. And what they have done in the era of free agency is more impressive than what any other Dynasty in any other sport has ever accomplished.

I would never consider any team of any sport that's been accused of cheating (more than once BTW) a dynasty.  Don't care how many championships they have.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3344 on: February 05, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
I fucking hate the Pats, and thought the game sucked.

But congrats to them and their fans, and of course it's a dynasty.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3345 on: February 05, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »

I would never consider any team of any sport that's been accused of cheating (more than once BTW) a dynasty.  Don't care how many championships they have.

I do find it a little funny that the last two Patriots to win the Super Bowl MVP (Edelman and Brady) both missed four games that same season as a result as a suspension from...wait for it...cheating! :P

Also, INB4 Patriots fans talk about unfair Deflategate was again. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3346 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »
Nope.  Just going to say suck it. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3347 on: February 05, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3348 on: February 05, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
Sheesh, what a year this ended up being. Brady plays like ass, has a 27 QBR, but since BB is a defensive wizard and the other QB was even stinkier ass, they win anyway. 13 points and a win  :facepalm:. The Rams' D deserved better, they balled all day and Cooks dropped 2 TD passes. One was Goff's fault for throwing an hour late but he should have held the other even while being interfered with a little. Also McVay's game plan sucked hard.

Yea I knew Brady would work his magic somehow for a win, dammit.  But I also question the Rams play calling.  Twice I remember them trying to throw on 3rd and 2, but then running it on 3rd and 22??  :facepalm: Cmon man!

How are the Chiefs favored to win the next one?  I know four straight SB's are next to impossible, but these are the Pats!!!  As much as I despise them, I can't deny their success. 

So you think football season is over now?  For the NFL, yes, but.....
https://aaf.com/   :metal

Go Fleet!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3349 on: February 05, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
I wouldn't call it unfair. They won the superbowl despite being penalized.  :lol  (I would call it bullshit, though)

In any case, using D66's standard eliminates every team in the NFL. Kev's Broncos have some biggies. As does D66's Cowboys. If they had an 18 year stretch of domination people would be whining about them. An extensive history of mediocrity is pretty good camouflage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3350 on: February 05, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3351 on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »
RK, BB and TB make this a Dynasty. And what they have done in the era of free agency is more impressive than what any other Dynasty in any other sport has ever accomplished.

Sooo...I guess there will never be a "dynasty" in the NFL.

There is no NFL team that hasn't been guilty of cheating (let alone accused), and the Patriots are pretty much in the middle of the pack when it comes to that.

And "deflategate" might have been the silliest "scandal" I've ever seen.  People who don't understand basic laws of nature hunting witches.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3352 on: February 05, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
Sorry, controversial statement here, but the more I read about how dull and lame the game is, and how bad the Rams played, the more I'm convinced that this was a testament to Bill Belichick. 

All the comments  about "cheaters" and "if Gurley had only..." and "if Goff had only..." and "if Cooks had only..." ... well they didn't.   They had the same 60 minutes, on the same field with the same hoopla and the same Adam Levine nipples, and they didn't.   I think, in hindsight, and to a large degree, because Belichick didn't do what HE was expected to do (in a good way).   

Sean McVay:  "Definitely, I got outcoached."    Now, of course he HAS to say that, as coach, to take the bullet for his team, but still.  There's truth in there (and no knock to McVay; he'll be back, no mistake.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3353 on: February 05, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
Nothing controversial about that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3354 on: February 05, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »
Yep. Somebody earlier lamented that the Ram's O line played like shit. The last 3 offensive lines to play NE played like shit. Just a coincidence, I'm sure. My take from the get-go was that both teams played very good defense. That's a very different thing than "the rams sucked!"
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3355 on: February 05, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
Just saw the halftime show, yea that was pretty bad. Besides MJ I think Bruno Mars/RHCP in 2014 was a really great halftime show with lots of energy.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3356 on: February 05, 2019, 04:07:51 PM »

In any case, using D66's standard eliminates every team in the NFL. Kev's Broncos have some biggies. As does D66's Cowboys. If they had an 18 year stretch of domination people would be whining about them. An extensive history of mediocrity is pretty good camouflage.

I have no idea what you are talking about...

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3357 on: February 05, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »
Sorry, controversial statement here, but the more I read about how dull and lame the game is, and how bad the Rams played, the more I'm convinced that this was a testament to Bill Belichick. 

All the comments  about "cheaters" and "if Gurley had only..." and "if Goff had only..." and "if Cooks had only..." ... well they didn't.   They had the same 60 minutes, on the same field with the same hoopla and the same Adam Levine nipples, and they didn't.   I think, in hindsight, and to a large degree, because Belichick didn't do what HE was expected to do (in a good way).   

Sean McVay:  "Definitely, I got outcoached."    Now, of course he HAS to say that, as coach, to take the bullet for his team, but still.  There's truth in there (and no knock to McVay; he'll be back, no mistake.)

I don't think that's controversial at all, it makes perfect sense. It was a brilliant game plan from Belichick and as good of an example as you'll ever see (IMO) of how much a coach can impact a game.

I did find it funny though that all of these "analysts" on the NFL/ESPN's payroll are trying to rip fans who are vocal about their opinion of the game being boring. Trey Wingo's reaction in particular seemed pretty ridiculous and childish to me. I guess if you don't find every single NFL game entertaining, you must be a "casual" fan  :facepalm: I get it that the game was competitive until the end, but I personally started to get the feeling that the Rams were going nowhere in that game when they stalled out immediately after the interception in the first quarter. I think even the most "casual" fan could tell that the Rams were probably going to lose before the end of the first half. The sad thing is that it was only 3-0 at that time  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3359 on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:39 AM »
Saw this hilarious Tweet:

A 4-month baby in Boston has seen more championships than a 45-year old fan of the Mets/Jets/Knicks.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin