3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 187951 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Super Bowl LIII - Patriots vs. Rams
« Reply #3185 on: January 25, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
Been so busy planning and working this is my first time to pop in!  GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!  We are so excited!!!  We won the Rams lottery for season ticket holders to be able to purchase tickets at face value,  ours are $1250 each.  Pretty bad seats, might need an O2 tank... :lol  But hey!!  We're going!!!  We have 4 other friends who are going also so it should be a fun weekend!!  Luckily we are also lucky that my Wife's cousin, who lives about 25 mins from the stadium is putting us up for the weekend.

As far as the game... man, facing B&B is both scary and exciting!  It's Super Bowl David vs. Goliath.  It's also a chance for the Rams to come full circle back to 2001!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3186 on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:11 AM »
Been so busy planning and working this is my first time to pop in!  GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!  We are so excited!!!  We won the Rams lottery for season ticket holders to be able to purchase tickets at face value,  ours are $1250 each.  Pretty bad seats, might need an O2 tank... :lol  But hey!!  We're going!!!  We have 4 other friends who are going also so it should be a fun weekend!!  Luckily we are also lucky that my Wife's cousin, who lives about 25 mins from the stadium is putting us up for the weekend.

As far as the game... man, facing B&B is both scary and exciting!  It's Super Bowl David vs. Goliath.  It's also a chance for the Rams to come full circle back to 2001!!

I can be happy for fans like you who stuck with the team after having it ripped from you, but I still hope Stan Kroenke dies in a fire. :eek :omg:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3187 on: January 25, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »

Congrats on going to the game.

The full circle bit is certainly interesting. I know Isaac Bruce's silly ass is happy about it. Dude's still bitter over a myth. I also think, should they win, it might very well be the last game for Bill, Brady, or both. That would probably top Elway's retirement in terms of going out perfectly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3188 on: January 25, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »

Way cool man!!  As a season ticket holder for the Pats from 1986 to 2012 we never won the lottery to get tickets.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3189 on: January 25, 2019, 09:38:47 AM »
  I also think, should they win, it might very well be the last game for Bill, Brady, or both. That would probably top Elway's retirement in terms of going out perfectly.

I now think there is no way that Brady retires this year, barring a catastrophic injury.  Why would he?  Even though he is old, he can still read defenses better than anybody, their offense is built for him to get rid of the ball quickly, and the change in rules over the years are a great benefit to players like him. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3190 on: January 25, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
  I also think, should they win, it might very well be the last game for Bill, Brady, or both. That would probably top Elway's retirement in terms of going out perfectly.

I now think there is no way that Brady retires this year, barring a catastrophic injury.  Why would he?  Even though he is old, he can still read defenses better than anybody, their offense is built for him to get rid of the ball quickly, and the change in rules over the years are a great benefit to players like him.

Yeah I kinda agree with Kev on this. Getting back to the SB shows that he's still got it, and hasn't hit that wall yet. I think he'll be back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3191 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
That's awesome Greg and the full circle thing is great... assuming it happens.  But that's a really cool angle/story line going into the game.  Going to be a good time for sure, I'm rooting for your Rams.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3192 on: January 25, 2019, 09:48:12 AM »

I think more teams should do this.  If a team can get to a QB with pressure why not shorten the routes to alleviate that issue?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3193 on: January 25, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »

I can be happy for fans like you who stuck with the team after having it ripped from you, but I still hope Stan Kroenke dies in a fire. :eek :omg:
  I surely can't blame you or anyone for feelings like that towards an owner.  I HATED Georgia for moving the Rams out of LA.  My Dad, a fan since he was a kid in the 40's dumped the team.  I tried, but soon found out it's just not in my nature... they're my team.  I think I also came to the realization that I'm a fan of teams... not the owners.  Owners come and go.

Way cool man!!  As a season ticket holder for the Pats from 1986 to 2012 we never won the lottery to get tickets.
  Funny, I have a Pats STH friend who didn't even have a clue that it was a possibility.

That's awesome Greg and the full circle thing is great... assuming it happens.  But that's a really cool angle/story line going into the game.  Going to be a good time for sure, I'm rooting for your Rams.
Thanks Brotha!!!  We will be Reppin from the top of the Dome!  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3194 on: January 25, 2019, 10:02:55 AM »
Aaaannndd, now you got a lawsuit on your hands.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/01/24/jets-jamal-adams-tackles-patriots-mascot-hospitalized/2669326002/

It really wasn't that hard a hit, but he did land on him and and blindside him. Probably not much visibility out of that head. More importantly, though, there could have been a woman in there, or 60 year old man. From what I've read over the years being a mascot is kind of a shit job (even if you're a famous chicken). Probably not the best idea to go around blindsiding random people who might or might not be able to take it. And that goes both ways. It'd be a much funnier story if the guy in the costume got up and taekwondo'd his ass. All the more reason to know your target.

I didn't think of the "woman/old man" angle, so I have to contemplate that, but there's a real part of me that think the Patriot mascot needs to suck it up.   I don' know the severity of any injuries, but I think one of the injuries is to pride/ego.  I think there's an element of embarassment.  But while it may be a dickish joke, I do think that Adams meant  it as a joke, and that's my sort of humor.   I'm also a little disappointed that one of the greatest sports organizations in American sports history has a mascot that can't take a hit.  :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3195 on: January 25, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »

I think more teams should do this.  If a team can get to a QB with pressure why not shorten the routes to alleviate that issue?

Easier said than done. If it was that easy, everyone WOULD be doing it. Brady's ability to see the field, his quick decision making and his release make it work for the Pats. Not every (or most) QBs can do that as well as him.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3196 on: January 25, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
The full circle bit is certainly interesting. I know Isaac Bruce's silly ass is happy about it. Dude's still bitter over a myth.

???

But while it may be a dickish joke, I do think that Adams meant  it as a joke, and that's my sort of humor.

Assault and battery is hilarious....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3197 on: January 25, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »
The full circle bit is certainly interesting. I know Isaac Bruce's silly ass is happy about it. Dude's still bitter over a myth.

???

Isaac and some of the Rams players still believe something was up with how it seemed that the Pats knew their offensive playbook.  Remember, this was right at the time of "Spygate".  The full circle part being the Rams loss to the Pats in that SB launched the Pats dynasty.  So it would seem things have come back with the young Rams trying to be the upstarts now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3198 on: January 25, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »

???

Isaac and some of the Rams players still believe something was up with how it seemed that the Pats knew their offensive playbook.  Remember, this was right at the time of "Spygate".

So...basically, the third paragraph of this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spygate_(NFL)

Got it.

I pulled for the Patriots in SB36 and probably will be pulling (silently) for he Rams this year.  When I don't have a dog in the hunt, I tend to pull for the underdog (and, regardless of what the Vegas odds might be, the Rams are the underdog).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3199 on: January 25, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
Aaaannndd, now you got a lawsuit on your hands.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/01/24/jets-jamal-adams-tackles-patriots-mascot-hospitalized/2669326002/

It really wasn't that hard a hit, but he did land on him and and blindside him. Probably not much visibility out of that head. More importantly, though, there could have been a woman in there, or 60 year old man. From what I've read over the years being a mascot is kind of a shit job (even if you're a famous chicken). Probably not the best idea to go around blindsiding random people who might or might not be able to take it. And that goes both ways. It'd be a much funnier story if the guy in the costume got up and taekwondo'd his ass. All the more reason to know your target.

I didn't think of the "woman/old man" angle, so I have to contemplate that, but there's a real part of me that think the Patriot mascot needs to suck it up.   I don' know the severity of any injuries, but I think one of the injuries is to pride/ego.  I think there's an element of embarassment.  But while it may be a dickish joke, I do think that Adams meant  it as a joke, and that's my sort of humor.   I'm also a little disappointed that one of the greatest sports organizations in American sports history has a mascot that can't take a hit.  :)
Pride's not going to be a factor since nobody would ever recognize the guy inside the suit. (His name is known, and he's done an interview or two, but he's not Tom Brady.). And I agree completely that it was done in good spirit. I wouldn't expect the league to punish him or anything. I do think it's careless to tackle somebody if you don't know if he's built to withstand it, though. You discuss these things in advance. And my hunch is that the dude hurt his back. He landed squarely on it with a 240lb gorilla on top of him. I think he went to the hospital the next day, so it apparently crept up on him. In any case, I woulnd't go calling it assault and battery, but I'd certainly sue the fuck out of him for it.

And the cool move would have been to send him back out with the endzone militia there to back him up. There's your mascot that doesn't need to take a hit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: January 25, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »

Easier said than done. If it was that easy, everyone WOULD be doing it. Brady's ability to see the field, his quick decision making and his release make it work for the Pats. Not every (or most) QBs can do that as well as him.

I get that but how many times have you known as a fan that a blitz is coming and no one breaks a route, or has a set safety valve ready?  That's coaching. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3201 on: January 25, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »

I get that but how many times have you known as a fan that a blitz is coming and no one breaks a route, or has a set safety valve ready?  That's coaching.

Well right, the other factor is that Bill is a better coach than pretty much anyone he goes up against. B&B are arguably the best ever at their respective positions, they make it look easy. Just because they make it look easy sometimes doesn't mean it's actually easy to do. That's what makes them great.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3202 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »

I actually saw a couple of instances of the opposite last week against KC. Sort of like Kev has been on about. A few times KC showed blitz and TB unloaded the ball into the ground when nobody was coming. In any case, part of it's coaching, part of it's TB, and part of it is having receivers that are always on the same page. There's a reason he goes to 11 or 87 when he's hurried and not Dorsette. The same reason other highly gifted receivers never panned out (the aforementioned ocho-cinco certainly comes to mind).   To me the receivers are just as much an integral part of what they do. That's why losing Gordon was so bad; he was starting to get it.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3203 on: January 25, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
Absolutely.  But that has to be taught.  That can be taught.

El Barto, you are dead on about when Brady can't find an open receiver he'll throw it at their feet.  In this day and age that's why someone like Jimmy Garoppolo has been hurt twice.  Get rid of the ball and slide and don't try to pick up the last 3 yards.  QB's are not built for that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3204 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
Absolutely.  But that has to be taught.  That can be taught.

El Barto, you are dead on about when Brady can't find an open receiver he'll throw it at their feet.  In this day and age that's why someone like Jimmy Garoppolo has been hurt twice.  Get rid of the ball and slide and don't try to pick up the last 3 yards.  QB's are not built for that.
That's not really what I was suggesting. Their O is built so that Brady can unload the ball at a specific place in specific situations. He doesn't throw it into the ground on purpose. He throws it to where a receiver should be when they know there's a blitz coming, which is usually going to be something like a quick slant. When it goes right he throws it where 11 will be crossing and beat the blitz. When it doesn't, or when there isn't actually a blitz coming, he throws it to that point while 11 is running down the sideline looking for the long ball. There was a textbook example on Sunday. Brady thought blitz. There wasn't a blitz. He through it to an open spot in the middle of the field where somebody would have been had it been a blitz and his receivers were all running different routes.

This is why so many skilled guys can't play in NE (or Pitt, or several other cities where that system is employed).
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3205 on: January 25, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »
That's some plays, other time, he throws into the feet of a receiver specifically to get rid of the ball not to get hit and where no one will get to it.  It's always a confluence of things that make it work.  I know that but other teams should be able to do this. 

The O-Line has been great this year but you'd think teams with O-Line problems would think along the lines of getting it out of their QB's hands faster.   Like you said though certain players are better equipped to understand those schemes to make that successful.

Offline rab7

« Reply #3206 on: January 25, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
That's awesome Greg and the full circle thing is great...

Before the first Patriots-Rams game, Ricky Proehl looked into the camera and said "Tonight a dynasty begins!" He was of course referring to the Rams, as it was supposed to be their 2nd Super Bowl in 3 years, truly the beginning of a dynasty.

He was 100% correct in his prediction, though the wrong team.

How cool would it be if someone like Brandin Cooks looks into the camera next Sunday and says "Tonight a dynasty ends!"

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3208 on: January 25, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »

I surely can't blame you or anyone for feelings like that towards an owner.  I HATED Georgia for moving the Rams out of LA.  My Dad, a fan since he was a kid in the 40's dumped the team.  I tried, but soon found out it's just not in my nature... they're my team.  I think I also came to the realization that I'm a fan of teams... not the owners.  Owners come and go.

Very true.  Plenty of fans root against owners, but nobody roots for owners. 

I was admittedly a bandwagon Rams fan when they were the Greatest Show on Turf, as they were so fun to watch and the hometown team.  The Broncos were still my team, but I was all-in on rooting for the Rams at the time.  It was hard not to get caught in the hoopla.  Once they went back to sucking, it was easy to not giving a shit, so I wasn't burned really at all when they went back to LA, but I know quite a few people who would rather pull their fingernails out with pliers than root for the Rams next week. 

That's awesome Greg and the full circle thing is great...

Before the first Patriots-Rams game, Ricky Proehl looked into the camera and said "Tonight a dynasty begins!" He was of course referring to the Rams, as it was supposed to be their 2nd Super Bowl in 3 years, truly the beginning of a dynasty.

He was 100% correct in his prediction, though the wrong team.

How cool would it be if someone like Brandin Cooks looks into the camera next Sunday and says "Tonight a dynasty ends!"

Similar to the Panthers in 2015, I think the Rams went in to that Super Bowl way too over confident and it cost them the game. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: January 25, 2019, 02:45:48 PM »
Very true.  Plenty of fans root against owners, but nobody roots for owners. 

I won't argue, but I think there are times where a fanbase can appreciate and respect an owner to the point of giving a little extra rah-rah in their favor. Paul Allen was highly admired in the PNW (unless you hate wealthy successful people and Capitalism like Kshama Sawant who crapped all over his legacy when he died). He bought the team when we believed the previous owner wanted to move them, wasn't stingy with his pocketbook, and gave billions of his own money to the community. Of course that is a local fan base's reaction; no one outside of Seattle is going to say "I hope that guy who found Microsoft, no not Bill Gates the other guy, wins a Super Bowl!" But as a local, I am glad he got to hold the Lombardi before he died.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3211 on: January 25, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »
This one was even better:  https://sports.theonion.com/patriots-score-2-touchdowns-against-chiefs-in-preemptiv-1831876600

Patriots Score 2 Touchdowns Against Chiefs In Preemptive Strike Before AFC Championship Game

KANSAS CITY, MO—In an effort to gain a competitive advantage against a formidable opponent, the New England Patriots scored two touchdowns against the Chiefs Friday in a preemptive strike before Sunday’s AFC Championship Game. “We knew we had to do something to catch them off guard, so we ran a no-huddle offense before they stepped onto the field and were able to get 16 points on the board after those two-point conversions,” said Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who overcame several dropped passes and a botched snap before finding the end zone twice. “Hopefully it’ll be tough for the Chiefs to overcome this deficit—especially if we win the coin toss and can put another score on the board before they even get a possession. I think it should give our defense the opportunity to pin their ears back and get after the QB. Mahomes tends to get careless with the ball when he’s playing from behind.” At press time, Chiefs head coach Andy Reid had already squandered all of the team’s timeouts before kickoff.

:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3212 on: January 25, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »
 :rollin both are pretty good

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3213 on: January 25, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »
I woulnd't go calling it assault and battery, but I'd certainly sue the fuck out of him for it.

If you're not going to call it assault and battery, what cause of action would you allege in your lawsuit?  Those would be the only sensible civil causes of action, and it certainly meets the definition of battery or simple battery (and possible also assault/simple assault) under Georgia law.  https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2017/title-16/chapter-5/article-2/

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3214 on: January 25, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
I woulnd't go calling it assault and battery, but I'd certainly sue the fuck out of him for it.

If you're not going to call it assault and battery, what cause of action would you allege in your lawsuit?  Those would be the only sensible civil causes of action, and it certainly meets the definition of battery or simple battery (and possible also assault/simple assault) under Georgia law.  https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2017/title-16/chapter-5/article-2/
I was using A&B to refer to a potential criminal aspect. This is simply a civil matter, I should think
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3215 on: January 25, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
Well, not to be pedantic, but as my first year crim-law professional drilled into us, there is no cause of action for "assault and battery."  There are typically in any given state several types of assault and several types of battery.  But there is no such thing as "assault and battery."1., 2. 

1. And, yes, the title of that article within title 16, chapter 5 of the Georgia Codes is "assault and battery," but that is an article, and is not a cause of action.

2. Yeah, I probably could have gone without posting this at all, but I just came from the "things I find mildly irritating thread," so...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:53:31 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3216 on: January 25, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
Well...I did write that "[t]hose would be the only sensible civil causes of action" (emphasis on the plural).

I don't remember the state, but I recall running into at least one state that does have either a civil cause of action or a crime called "assault and battery," but yes, they're almost always different things.

As a practical matter, I doubt any prosecutor is going file criminal charges, and I also suspect the guy in the costume will get paid before he gets around to filing a lawsuit.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3217 on: January 25, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but after the no-call mess, the NFL REAAAALY has to be on the officials in the SB.  Imagine a call missed like that in one of the biggest sporting events in the world in front of an audience that big?? The NFL would lose so many fans over that. 

It'll be interesting to see the SB ratings after this no-call controversy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:19:38 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3218 on: January 25, 2019, 09:24:42 PM »
Well, not to be pedantic, but as my first year crim-law professional drilled into us, there is no cause of action for "assault and battery."  There are typically in any given state several types of assault and several types of battery.  But there is no such thing as "assault and battery."1., 2. 

1. And, yes, the title of that article within title 16, chapter 5 of the Georgia Codes is "assault and battery," but that is an article, and is not a cause of action.

2. Yeah, I probably could have gone without posting this at all, but I just came from the "things I find mildly irritating thread," so...

There is "Robbery, Assault, and Battery", though.  Tony Banks said so.    :).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3219 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:49 PM »
Imagine a call missed like that in one of the biggest sporting events in the world in front of an audience that big?? The NFL would lose so many fans over that. 

It is going to take a LOT for enough fans to turn away from the NFL to make a significant difference. It isn't impossible, but it will take a lot more than a couple blown calls. People love football, and the NFL is still the best game in town. And they know it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'