3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188570 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Super Bowl LIII - Patriots vs. Rams
« Reply #3150 on: January 23, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »
The CFA near my parents in Jacksonville has people outside taking our order for the drive through before you even get to the traditional order screen for when its super busy.  THey do that for the In n Outs I've been to in LA.  It's kind of crazy how people really do love this stuff.  I think it's really solid fast food, but I am not waiting in some crazy line for it as that defeats the "fast" part.
Yeah, I was bitching about that the other day. They opened one around the corner of the shop and it creates traffic jams everyday. People spend 30 minutes of their lunch hour just waiting in a goddamn drive-through line to get a crappy sandwich. There's something very wrong with these people.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3151 on: January 23, 2019, 06:06:29 PM »
What did all you crybabies do in the old days when a field goal would win it?

At least if you stop a TD,  you have a chance.

Exactly.  I really wonder if KC had won with a TD on the first drive in OT, if people would be talking about the OT rules.  The rules are fine.  If you give up a TD, you deserve to lose.  In NFL OT, you still get 2/3 of the sides of the ball on the field, special teams and offense/defense at minimum.  There's plenty of opportunity to win if you play defense first, heck just look at the earlier game where NO had the ball first and lost in OT because the defense showed up.

FWIW, I'm not whining over the rules, I'm just joining a discussion about a rule that I've always viewed as flawed.

So, apparently, some people can't understand why the Chik-Fil-A in section 123 will not be open for business during the SB despite that every single CFA around the country is closed every Sunday of the year:lol 

What I can't understand is why the company pays for a space in a facility whose primary purpose is to host sporting events that are held primarily on Sundays.  But I guess the company wouldn't do it if it weren't profitable.

The CFA near my parents in Jacksonville has people outside taking our order for the drive through before you even get to the traditional order screen for when its super busy.  THey do that for the In n Outs I've been to in LA.  It's kind of crazy how people really do love this stuff.  I think it's really solid fast food, but I am not waiting in some crazy line for it as that defeats the "fast" part.

In-n-Out is overrated AF.  Both Fatburger and 5-Guys are WAY better.  The shopping center near my house has both an I&O and a CFA.  The part of the center where the CFA is located is a mess when the drive-thru overflows.  The I&O has had an outside order person for a long time, and the CFA now has one also.  Both my wife and kids get cravings for CFA on Sundays.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3152 on: January 23, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
Yeah, I was bitching about that the other day. They opened one around the corner of the shop and it creates traffic jams everyday. People spend 30 minutes of their lunch hour just waiting in a goddamn drive-through line to get a crappy sandwich. There's something very wrong with these people.

Agreed.  Get off your lazy asses and go inside!  We have a CFA about five minutes from work and I probably go there 1-2 times a week for lunch, and I never do the drive through.  Bunch of lazy asses. Yeah, sit there in the drive through for 30 minutes, while I go inside and am back in my car with my hot food in a matter of minutes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3153 on: January 23, 2019, 06:14:51 PM »
I hate going through the drive thru for anything. Unless I'm only getting a cup of coffee. EVERYWHERE will fuck up a food order.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3154 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
Exactly. And I always check my food before leaving to make sure it is correct (since I get the grilled chicken sandwich plain, and then add the honey BBQ sauce once I eat it).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3155 on: January 23, 2019, 06:28:56 PM »

Agreed.  Get off your lazy asses and go inside!  We have a CFA about five minutes from work and I probably go there 1-2 times a week for lunch, and I never do the drive through.  Bunch of lazy asses. Yeah, sit there in the drive through for 30 minutes, while I go inside and am back in my car with my hot food in a matter of minutes.
At the one I'm referring to you'll wait just as long for a parking space. It was a converted Del Taco, and they never even dreamed of needing more than 8 spaces.  :lol  In fact, I'm not even sure if dining in is an option. I don't see how one could actually get into their parking lot because of the drive-through traffic. On top of that, they share an entrance with a BK, and they've very likely rendered it impossible to get into their place. It really made me hate CFA a whole lot more than simply the Jesus thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3156 on: January 24, 2019, 08:27:47 AM »
I don't think you need statistics to show that the coin flip is a random means of conferring an obvious advantage to whoever wins the coin flip.  The outcome in a small sample size does not necessarily reflect that.  I think this is one of those cases where you can just step back and use some "common sense" to know that it confers an artificial advantage.

But that said--so what?
Except that it's really not an "obvious" advantage. Even before the rule change in 2012 the winning percentage for the coin-toss winner was 52%. That doesn't take into account winning on the first possession, either.

And what I am saying is that merely looking at W/L statistics do not tell us whether or not there is an advantage.  That statistic is meaningless.  It only tells us what happened after the fact.  It does not tell us why, and it does not tell us whether there is any correlation to winning the toss.  There are too many other variables.  But virtually all of them tell us that winning the toss is usually an advantage.

This is very much with respect, but I'm pretty decent at math and you'll have to explain that one to me.  Coin flips over time are going to approach 50-50. That's why we use it as a sort of "random number generator" (of sorts).   Winning is the only outcome that matters.  If coin flips favor either team 50-50, and after the coin flip each team has a 50% chance of winning (same as at the start of a game) how is there an advantage?

Eh?  After the coin flip, each team does not have a 50% chance of winning. I'm sure there have been one or two times when the team winning the OT coin flip has elected to start on defense, but the overwhelming majority of OT coin flip winners elect to receive.  WHY?  Because the team in possession of the ball has a far greater likelihood of scoring than the team not in possession.  Is it the only thing that matters?  Of course not.  Is it necessarily the most important thing?  Maybe not, but it is a completely random event that confers at least some advantage to the winner, if not a significant advantage, and the whole point of changing the rule is to eliminate or minimize the importance of a random event.

Relative to the coin flip they do (the coin flip does not know or care who the QB is on either side).   I'm using Bart's numbers - 45 wins out of 87 chances, that's 51.7%.   If you want to argue that's not "50%", okay, but the "1.7%" is not statistically significant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: January 24, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »

From my experience, it's not much quicker going inside vs the drive through all things considered, at least at In N Out where I've done both to compare a few times before.  I've only had this issue once at a CFA so I can't say if their inside service is much faster. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3158 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
Exactly. And I always check my food before leaving to make sure it is correct (since I get the grilled chicken sandwich plain, and then add the honey BBQ sauce once I eat it).

But even that is flawed; fixing a wrong order at the drive-through is excruciating.  Unless I have kids with me I go in. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3159 on: January 24, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »

But even that is flawed; fixing a wrong order at the drive-through is excruciating.  Unless I have kids with me I go in.

a) they never mess up my order, and b) I always go inside, so it would be an easy fix.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3160 on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »
The CFA in my town can get busy during certain times of day, but it is NOTHING like the In N Out up the street.  Doesn't matter what time you drive by that place (even after midnight), the line of cars at the drive through is always around the entire parking lot. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3161 on: January 24, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »
What is this, the 'fast-food' thread now?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3162 on: January 24, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
So...Hardee's? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3163 on: January 24, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Who wants to talk about the greatest franchise ever anyway? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3164 on: January 24, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
Who wants to talk about the greatest franchise ever anyway? :lol

Hey, nobody said you couldn't talk about McDonald's here.  Go right ahead!  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: January 24, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
This is what happens when you have two weeks between the conference championship games and the SB.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: January 24, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
 :lol

I can't eat at fast food restaurants anymore.  Too much sodium.

This is what happens when you have two weeks between the conference championship games and the SB.

No doubt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rab7

« Reply #3167 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »

The pro bowl is this week!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: January 24, 2019, 11:12:39 AM »

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: January 24, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »

I'd rather have a colonoscopy than watch that game.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3170 on: January 24, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »

I don't know as I've ever watched a pro bowl. I've certainly seen more HOF games, and those are awful.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: January 24, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
In my youth I loved the All Star games but as an adult, these games don't represent how the game is really played.  I just can't watch them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3172 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:05 AM »

:arranged:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3173 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »

I don't know as I've ever watched a pro bowl. I've certainly seen more HOF games, and those are awful.

I enjoyed the Pro Bowl as a kid, but I can't remember the last time I watched one.  Since the NHL All-Star game will be on Saturday this year (which I assume was done so as not to compete with the Pro Bowl) and there will be no hockey on Sunday, I might actually tune in for a minute or two.  The NBA All-Star game is obviously the worst of the four major sports, but the Pro Bowl is a very close second.  The current format of the NHL ASG is really entertaining, so it's starting to give the MLB ASG a run for its money as the best.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3174 on: January 24, 2019, 11:50:23 AM »
When it comes to All-star Games, the NHL is the closest to capturing any kind of real game vibe.  Since they went to a 3-3 format, it is fairly close to an actual 3-3 OT period.  Baseball... so many substitutions, there's no flow.  Basketball... the  Globtrotters vs the Generals is closer to real Basketball.  Football?  If it wasn't in Hawaii, would anyone even go?

Not that the NHL is like a real game, but it's the closest.  Players will actually play some defense once and a while.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: January 24, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »

:arranged:

Good.  I'm due for one. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: January 24, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »
Yea, Id rank the all star games:

Hockey > Baseball > Basketball > Football

Football is just too physical and too much strategy to throw into a game like that and it just ends up being so uninteresting.  Basketball is kind of fun but just really a shooting contest.  Baseball and hockey are the closest to being real games and I just enjoy hockey more.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3177 on: January 24, 2019, 03:41:35 PM »
Aaaannndd, now you got a lawsuit on your hands.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/01/24/jets-jamal-adams-tackles-patriots-mascot-hospitalized/2669326002/

It really wasn't that hard a hit, but he did land on him and and blindside him. Probably not much visibility out of that head. More importantly, though, there could have been a woman in there, or 60 year old man. From what I've read over the years being a mascot is kind of a shit job (even if you're a famous chicken). Probably not the best idea to go around blindsiding random people who might or might not be able to take it. And that goes both ways. It'd be a much funnier story if the guy in the costume got up and taekwondo'd his ass. All the more reason to know your target.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: January 24, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
How long will the league front office maintain they had no access to any video to review for potential disciplinary action?

When I first saw "lawsuit" thought you were going to mention how Saints fans are suing the league.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: January 24, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
^
Same here.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3180 on: January 24, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »
Aaaannndd, now you got a lawsuit on your hands.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/01/24/jets-jamal-adams-tackles-patriots-mascot-hospitalized/2669326002/

It really wasn't that hard a hit, but he did land on him and and blindside him. Probably not much visibility out of that head. More importantly, though, there could have been a woman in there, or 60 year old man. From what I've read over the years being a mascot is kind of a shit job (even if you're a famous chicken). Probably not the best idea to go around blindsiding random people who might or might not be able to take it. And that goes both ways. It'd be a much funnier story if the guy in the costume got up and taekwondo'd his ass. All the more reason to know your target.

Jamal Adams is a special kind of stupid.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3181 on: January 24, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
What an asshole  :facepalm: He should be sent home for that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3182 on: January 24, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »

I can't eat at fast food restaurants anymore.

I can't do fried food anymore (not that any of us should anyway), so I can't do the yummy waffle fries at CFA anymore.  :( :(

CFA is the only fast food I do anymore anyway.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3183 on: January 24, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »
ESPN gives the Rams a 52% chance to win.  As an LA native I want them to win, but this is Tom f'n Brady.  He's gonna go up there and pass pass pass and do his thing.  I'd give them more like 35-40%.  I'd be stunned if they won.

BTW I love fast food. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3184 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:39 AM »
I like what I saw on FB.  "...and just like that, everyone's a Rams fan."   :lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White