3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 187395 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Eagles vs. Saints
« Reply #2835 on: January 13, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »
Sometimes I can’t figure out why some players are liked and others aren’t. Take Rivers. All I’ve ever seen him do is yell at his receivers and whine for flags. How is that likable?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2836 on: January 13, 2019, 05:40:47 PM »
I was just going to post that this last drive should be interesting, but then....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2837 on: January 13, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »
I don't even know why they snapped it. But that was all on Jeffery. A damn shame. Magic denied.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2838 on: January 13, 2019, 05:44:38 PM »
I don't even know why they snapped it. But that was all on Jeffery. A damn shame. Magic denied.

Yeah, I was shocked they hiked it before the 2 minute warning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Divisional Week
« Reply #2839 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »
Not sure if that means you are picking the home teams because home field advantage plays a role, or just because you think they are better.  But I will say that when it comes to home field advantage, I really don't think the Rams have anything other than just not having to travel.

IMO, the Rams are vastly superior to the Cowboys on both sides of the ball, and about the only area where they're even is at the RB position.  Whether the Rams have any significant home-field advantage is debatable, but not having to travel is significant, as is having had the week off.

I can't see the Chargers winning two straight road playoff games on the east coast.  In the Belichick/Brady era, the only time the Patriots have lost in the divisional round was that fluke 2011 game against Mark Sanchez and the Jets.

The Saints are miles better than the Eagles, and the week off and home-field advantage only helps that.

As mentioned, the only game where I feel like the road team has a decent shot at winning is the Chiefs v. Colts game, and that's only because the Colts have been riding so high and the Chiefs have a history of playoff disappointment.

Not that this has any real predictive value, but in the last seven seasons since Green Bay won Super Bowl 45 as a #6 seed (in 2011, following the 2010 season), no wild card teams have made the Super Bowl, and only one (San Francisco in 2013-14) has even made it past the divisional round.

The Saints v. Eagles game was closer than I would have expected, and I thought the Colts and Chargers would play better, but this weekend played out pretty much exactly like I expected as far as the results go.  The divisional round has been quite dull for the last few years.  Getting a home game and a week off is a HUGE advantage.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2840 on: January 13, 2019, 05:53:24 PM »
So after a month of drama we're getting the final four that everybody saw coming all the way back in October.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2841 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:30 PM »
The Saints, Rams and Chiefs we're clearly the top 3 teams in the league this year....and the Pats are the Pats. No surprises in this year's final 4

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Conference Championship Week
« Reply #2842 on: January 13, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
Once the Pats clinched a first round bye, their spot in the final four was basically secured as well. They just don’t lose at home in the playoffs after a week off. The only time New England has ever lost before the conference championship with a first round bye in the Brady/Belicheck era was the 2010 season against a then very talented Jets team (man if only we could have kept it going).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2843 on: January 13, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
I didn't think the Pats winning was in any way guaranteed today. No one was hotter than the Chargers, except, maybe the Colts. Both turned into pumpkins this weekend.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2844 on: January 13, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
Can't wait for an entire week of 90% of the talking heads saying why the Saints won't be able to keep up with a team they already beat by 10 who'll be missing a WR that was hugely responsible for why it was even that close all because they struggled against a 6 seed that everyone just spent 2 weeks crowning as the 1A seed of the NFC due to the return of a tried-and-true QB they don't even trust enough to give the full time starting spot.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2845 on: January 13, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »
That's a long fucking sentence, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2846 on: January 13, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
As others have already mentioned, I expected a lot more from the Colts and Chargers. I expected the Saints and Rams to win, but I was completely off with both AFC games.

Sometimes I can’t figure out why some players are liked and others aren’t. Take Rivers. All I’ve ever seen him do is yell at his receivers and whine for flags. How is that likable?

I remember watching a game between the Chargers and Broncos many years ago. The camera kept flashing to him yelling at Jay Cutler from the sideline. I got the impression that he was taunting him and acting like a cunt, and I've seen him that way in my mind ever since.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2847 on: January 13, 2019, 08:53:21 PM »

IMO, the Rams are vastly superior to the Cowboys on both sides of the ball, and about the only area where they're even is at the RB position.  Whether the Rams have any significant home-field advantage is debatable, but not having to travel is significant, as is having had the week off.

I do not agree. Dallas has a significantly better defense than the Rams, and I think Zeke will run all over the Rams.  Despite having the best defensive player in the league and a bunch of stars, the Rams D has not gelled as a whole and was subpar for much of the season.

Like I said.

What can I say...I was dead wrong about that game, but who in the hell saw the Rams rushing for 275 yards against the Dallas defense coming??

I remember watching a game between the Chargers and Broncos many years ago. The camera kept flashing to him yelling at Jay Cutler from the sideline. I got the impression that he was taunting him and acting like a cunt, and I've seen him that way in my mind ever since.

Find me a QB who wouldn't have been pissed today watching his defense play like that in a playoff game.

Besides, whenever you see close-ups of Rivers trash talking and taunting, you can tell he is doing it in a fun and good-natured way.  I used to hate Rivers thinking he was a loud mouthed trash talker, but once it became evident how cool he is about and whatnot, I came around to liking him.

Can't wait for an entire week of 90% of the talking heads saying why the Saints won't be able to keep up with a team they already beat by 10 who'll be missing a WR that was hugely responsible for why it was even that close all because they struggled against a 6 seed that everyone just spent 2 weeks crowning as the 1A seed of the NFC due to the return of a tried-and-true QB they don't even trust enough to give the full time starting spot.

Well said, although it is worth pointing out that the Saints offense has come way back down to earth since that 45-35 win over the Rams.  It's hard to know which Rams team will show up, but if last night's does, the Saints could be in real trouble.

Both games should be close next week.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2848 on: January 13, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »

What can I say...I was dead wrong about that game, but who in the hell saw the Rams rushing for 275 yards against the Dallas defense coming??

This is the same defense that could be "trusted" to stop the Rams from running out the clock at the end?   :lol

Like I said.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2849 on: January 13, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »

This is the same defense that could be "trusted" to stop the Rams from running out the clock at the end?   :lol

Like I said.

Forcing a 3 and out was still far more likely than recovering an onside kick (which is nearly impossible now, thanks to the new rules).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2850 on: January 13, 2019, 09:25:28 PM »

Like I said.

Forcing a 3 and out was still far more likely than recovering an onside kick (which is nearly impossible now, thanks to the new rules).

Yeah, we got a taste of how lame on-side kicks are in the early game, today. I think that Jim Nantz mentioned that the percentage of success has dropped from 20% to around 8% with the new rules. The Cowboys made the right decision by kicking it deep.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2851 on: January 14, 2019, 07:37:00 AM »
2 amazing match ups next weekend and I think regardless of the outcome the Super Bowl is going to have a great match up too.

NE @ KC- I would love nothing more than for the Chiefs to make it back to the Super Bowl. KC's defense have been playing really well at home and if they can get pressure from their D-Line like they did against Indy they have chance. It's going to be freaking cold next weekend and I think that benefits the Pats a bit. I've got to pick my Chiefs but this is a coin flip.

LAR @ NO- Another coin flip. I'd love a Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl but I think the Saints take this at home. The Rams defense is going to cost them and the Saints take it at home.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Chargers vs. Patriots
« Reply #2852 on: January 14, 2019, 08:19:21 AM »
This game is soooo boring.

All the games were boring.  None of the road teams showed up.  I was expecting some upsets and got nothing but the same old predictable NFL. :\
Now the only thing left is hoping the Pats don't make it to the SB....AGAIN!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Chargers vs. Patriots
« Reply #2853 on: January 14, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
This game is soooo boring.

All the games were boring.  None of the road teams showed up.  I was expecting some upsets and got nothing but the same old predictable NFL. :\
Now the only thing left is hoping the Pats don't make it to the SB....AGAIN!

Eagles showed up. Not sure what you were watching.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2854 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:54 AM »
That game was odd.  Philly dominated early, as the Saints looked lethargic after not playing a real game in three weeks (they basically took week 17 off and then had a bye), but once they got it together in the 2nd quarter, the rest of the game wasn't even close and Philly was fortunate to only lose by 6.  That 11-minute drive in the 3rd quarter was something else.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2855 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »
Pats looked strong out the gate.  That was vintage Belichick, right there, and I imagine that it was lost on 95% of fans.   I know Rivers has had a number of good comebacks, but they're of a pattern; the team played well and found themselves down.  This wasn't that.   They were out-gunned, out-hustled, out-hit, out-MANNED for most of the game, and you saw my biggest criticism about Rivers (and I'm sure Belichick knew this):  he cracks.  I'm convinced Belichick said "we come out hard, and quick, knock them out of their rhythm, and we have this game."   He even took the kickoff and didn't defer as he does 105% of the time.    Sure enough, it wasn't midway through the third quarter and Rivers was already throwing his line and his receivers under the bus.   After one sack, he was seen screaming at someone "what fuck are you doing? What the FUCK are you doing?".  There was nothing that I saw that rose up to "good-natured" or "fun".  He got his ass kicked, literally (Belichick didn't look even the slightest bit bothered by the two roughing the passer penalties, whereas you can generally see his liver hardening over false starts and holding penalties) and metaphorically, and it showed.

Contrast that with Foles, who, after the season ending interception, likely his last pass for the Eagles, went right up to Jeffries and hugged him, metaphorically taking some of the responsibility from him and putting it on his own shoulders.   I hate the Eagles with a  passion, but wherever Foles goes next year (New York, NEW YORK!) I will be a fan.  He's a quality player, and a class act up, down and sideways.  I'd even ask; if you're Philly do you keep Foles and trade Wentz?  Devil you know....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:17:48 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2856 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »
According to what I read, the Saints are favored by 3.5, and the Chiefs are favored by 3.  My understanding is that home field alone is worth 3 points, so these games are basically "pick 'em" games.

For the sake of picking, I'll go with the Rams and the Chiefs, but both games are basically coin flips for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2857 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:45 AM »
Pats looked strong out the gate.  That was vintage Belichick, right there, and I imagine that it was lost on 95% of fans.   I know Rivers has had a number of good comebacks, but they're of a pattern; the team played well and found themselves down.  This wasn't that.   They were out-gunned, out-hustled, out-hit, out-MANNED for most of the game, and you saw my biggest criticism about Rivers (and I'm sure Belichick knew this):  he cracks.  I'm convinced Belichick said "we come out hard, and quick, knock them out of their rhythm, and we have this game."   He even took the kickoff and didn't defer as he does 105% of the time.    Sure enough, it wasn't midway through the third quarter and Rivers was already throwing his line and his receivers under the bus.   After one sack, he was seen screaming at someone "what fuck are you doing? What the FUCK are you doing?".  There was nothing that I saw that rose up to "good-natured" or "fun".  He got his ass kicked, literally (Belichick didn't look even the slightest bit bothered by the two roughing the passer penalties, whereas you can generally see his liver hardening over false starts and holding penalties) and metaphorically, and it showed.

Contrast that with Foles, who, after the season ending interception, likely his last pass for the Eagles, went right up to Jeffries and hugged him, metaphorically taking some of the responsibility from him and putting it on his own shoulders.   I hate the Eagles with a  passion, but wherever Foles goes next year (New York, NEW YORK!) I will be a fan.  He's a quality player, and a class act up, down and sideways.  I'd even ask; if you're Philly do you keep Foles and trade Wentz?  Devil you know....

Most predictable post ever.

The Chargers defense gets taken to the woodshed for 35 points in the first half by an aging QB with limited weapons...and your post is all about Philip Rivers. :lol :lol

I will repeat what I said yesterday: find me a QB who wouldn't have been pissed watching his defense play like that in a playoff game.

But yeah, when Tom Brady yells and screams (yes, he does that sometimes), it is because he is fiery and competitive, but when Rivers does it, it is because he is cracking. :rollin :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2858 on: January 14, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »

The Chargers defense gets taken to the woodshed for 35 points in the first half by an aging QB with limited weapons...and your post is all about Philip Rivers. :lol :lol

I will repeat what I said yesterday: find me a QB who wouldn't have been pissed watching his defense play like that in a playoff game.

But yeah, when Tom Brady yells and screams (yes, he does that sometimes), it is because he is fiery and competitive, but when Rivers does it, it is because he is cracking. :rollin :rollin

Eli Manning, or at least not make his anger visible to his team and since those guys are often compared.  One that actually has wins against Tom Brady.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2859 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
When Brady throws a tantrum it's far more often directed at himself. He'll call out other players, but it's not normally the ranting and raving we saw from Rivers. I'll make it perfectly clear I'm fine with players being pissed off, either at themselves or their teammates. I've defended Brady and I'll defend Rivers for yesterday. But I couldn't help thinking that he was coming completely unglued yesterday.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2860 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »

Eli Manning, or at least not make his anger visible to his team and since those guys are often compared.  One that actually has wins against Tom Brady.

You mean against the Patriots, right?  Because even though it is fun to talk about when QB A plays QB B, like they are the ones who do it all, it is ultimately a team game.  Let's put it this way: I only saw the first quarter or so of yesterday's game (but all reports say it was the same throughout), but if Rivers had all day to throw, receivers running open left and right, and an opposing defense with a terrible game plan, and then Brady had little time to throw, not a lot of guys getting open, and an opposing defense that was very well-prepared, who do you think would win?

Long story short: Belichick is the GOAT by a wide margin and yesterday was just confirmation that he deserves the lion's share of the credit for the Patriots dynasty.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2861 on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »

One, it's the part of Brady I like least, so you don't get "competitive" from me, and second, he wins.  I'm a much bigger fan of Belichick's unemotional, you do your job or you don't, it's that simply approach.   And three, I'll take "Most Predictable Post" every time. I'm nothing if not consistent.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2862 on: January 14, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »

You mean against the Patriots, right?  Because even though it is fun to talk about when QB A plays QB B, like they are the ones who do it all, it is ultimately a team game.  Let's put it this way: I only saw the first quarter or so of yesterday's game (but all reports say it was the same throughout), but if Rivers had all day to throw, receivers running open left and right, and an opposing defense with a terrible game plan, and then Brady had little time to throw, not a lot of guys getting open, and an opposing defense that was very well-prepared, who do you think would win?

Long story short: Belichick is the GOAT by a wide margin and yesterday was just confirmation that he deserves the lion's share of the credit for the Patriots dynasty.

You have to have both a great coach and a great QB to have this kind of run.  Every dynasty has had this combo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rab7

« Reply #2863 on: January 14, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »
They were out-gunned, out-hustled, out-hit, out-MANNED for most of the game,

Also out-planned, and if they ever accidentally had 10 men on the defense, which happens sometimes, out-numbered as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2864 on: January 14, 2019, 10:35:04 AM »
Cowherd is a HUGE Tom Brady fan and even he last week had a good breakdown of how much luckier Brady has been than Rivers when it comes to coaching, city you play in, franchise you play for, etc., and how different their careers would have been if you swapped their teams. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2865 on: January 14, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
Oh shit, if only Steve Grogan played for Bill Walsh and threw to Jerry Rice....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2866 on: January 14, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Exactly!!  :lol :lol

I actually wonder how good of an NFL QB Steve McNair could have been had he not spent almost all of it with the offensive doofus that was Jeff Fisher.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: January 14, 2019, 11:11:11 AM »

0-8, sure it's more than just the QBs, but there a lot of data on Rivers not being able to win against the Patriots that maybe it DOES have something to do with the QB?  Either way, that was not my point.  I was just answering your own question and I stand by it still. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2868 on: January 14, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
Can't remember which of the commentators mentioned at the very start of the game that the Chargers defensive scheme did not match up well against the Patriots offensive style. Boy they were right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2869 on: January 14, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »
Cowherd is a HUGE Tom Brady fan and even he last week had a good breakdown of how much luckier Brady has been than Rivers when it comes to coaching, city you play in, franchise you play for, etc., and how different their careers would have been if you swapped their teams.
I was pondering last night what the outcome would have been if Belichick had Brees rather than Brady. I think we'd have an even better GOAT.
E.F. Benson