3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188782 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Colts/Titans Play In Game.
« Reply #2555 on: December 30, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
Predictions now for the time of next week's games:

Houston home game will be the late Saturday afternoon game (always the game seen as the least desirable to watch)
Dallas was get the Saturday night game
Bears will get the early Sunday game
Other AFC game will be the late Sunday game (Chargers or Chiefs at Ravens or Steelers)

I completely agree.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2556 on: December 30, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »
Which means the winner of tonight's game will have to play the early Saturday game after having played the Sunday night game.  Dumb.

Of course they could still tie tonight, which would get Pittsburgh in the playoffs...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2557 on: December 30, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
And I still hate how they seed teams in the playoffs.  It's ridiculous that you can end up with the 2nd best record in your conference and be the 5 seed just because the team ahead of you just happen to play in the same division. The top 2 division winners should get byes and then the other 4 teams should be seeded based on record.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2558 on: December 30, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »
That loud sound you heard emanating from Maryland was one humungous exhale of relief......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline max_security

« Reply #2559 on: December 30, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »
That loud sound you heard emanating from Maryland was one humungous exhale of relief......

I'll be able to function tomorrow thank you C.J. Mosley. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2560 on: December 30, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
And I still hate how they seed teams in the playoffs.  It's ridiculous that you can end up with the 2nd best record in your conference and be the 5 seed just because the team ahead of you just happen to play in the same division. The top 2 division winners should get byes and then the other 4 teams should be seeded based on record.

Even if my team was screwed by the current system, I still think it's the best system there is.  I HATE the way Basketball and hockey do it.  I think division winners should get a home game.   If only for the fans. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2561 on: December 30, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »

Even if my team was screwed by the current system, I still think it's the best system there is.  I HATE the way Basketball and hockey do it.  I think division winners should get a home game.   If only for the fans.

Eh, winning your division gets you a playoff spot; that is your reward.  If you aren't good enough to finish with one of the top four records in your conference, you should not get a first round home game. A 12-4 team going on the road in the first round is a joke, just like teams that have won their divisions with records of 8-8 getting a home game was.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2562 on: December 30, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
Eh, if they're that good, the 12-4 team should be able to win at the 8-8 team.

I mean, you need a playoff format. Whatever sport, someone is going to feel screwed. Honestly, I don't have an issue with any of the 4 sports' playoff formats.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2563 on: December 30, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »
Eh, if they're that good, the 12-4 team should be able to win at the 8-8 team.

I mean, you need a playoff format. Whatever sport, someone is going to feel screwed. Honestly, I don't have an issue with any of the 4 sports' playoff formats.

It's not that simple. Home field means a lot in the NFL playoffs. Not like the Chargers have much of a home field advantage, but having to play on the road to start the playoffs is just unfair.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2564 on: December 30, 2018, 08:14:22 PM »

Eh, winning your division gets you a playoff spot; that is your reward.
  If you aren't good enough to finish with one of the top four records in your conference, you should not get a first round home game. A 12-4 team going on the road in the first round is a joke, just like teams that have won their divisions with records of 8-8 getting a home game was.
Then why did you give the top two division winners the byes? Why not give the top two records the byes? Because winning your division deserves a bonus over earning a wildcard spot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2565 on: December 30, 2018, 08:17:04 PM »
Then why did you give the top two division winners the byes? Why not give the top two records the byes? Because winning your division deserves a bonus over earning a wildcard spot.

It's the best of both words.  You don't get a bye if you don't win your division, but if you finish with one of the top 4 records, you at least get a home game in the first round.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2566 on: December 30, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »

It's the best of both words.  You don't get a bye if you don't win your division, but if you finish with one of the top 4 records, you at least get a home game in the first round.
That's a pretty good answer. You make a good argument, but I'm still not sold. The same unfairness applies in your scheme. A division winner shouldn't have to play on the road against a division loser.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2567 on: December 30, 2018, 08:44:10 PM »

That's a pretty good answer. You make a good argument, but I'm still not sold. The same unfairness applies in your scheme. A division winner shouldn't have to play on the road against a division loser.

And I get why you and others think that way. There is no right or wrong answer here. :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2568 on: December 30, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
Andrew Luck is a dude from the mid-19th century whose time machine broke during a trip to the future and he's just making the best of a bad situation. Change my mind.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2569 on: December 31, 2018, 01:38:57 AM »

And I get why you and others think that way. There is no right or wrong answer here. :)

My issue isn’t with the way teams are seeded but with the number of teams who make it in. I’m of the opinion that nobody should get a week off in the playoffs. It goes against the league’s goal of achieving parity, as whoever comes out of wild card weekend alive goes into the divisional round with a huge disadvantage. Expand the playoffs to eight teams per conference so that good teams who play in a good division don’t get screwed out of a playoff spot just because someone had to come in first place in a bad division. I like to use the 2010 season as an example. The Giants and Buccaneers both went 10-6 but missed the playoffs due to tiebreakers, meanwhile the Seahawks got to host a home game at 7-9. It would also make the playoffs so much more exciting, as you would have the possibility of a huge first round upset instead of a beat up team going to play a well rested team. Yes the lower seeded teams do sometimes win in the divisional round, but it’s very rare that more than one or two divisional round upsets happen. In fact, since the modern idea of a first round bye was implemented, 16 of the 28 completed seasons (around 58%) have ended with two teams who had a first round bye week playing each other in the Super Bowl, and there has never been a Super Bowl played without at least one team in the game having had a first round bye since it was implemented in 1990.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2570 on: December 31, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »

My issue isn’t with the way teams are seeded but with the number of teams who make it in. I’m of the opinion that nobody should get a week off in the playoffs. It goes against the league’s goal of achieving parity, as whoever comes out of wild card weekend alive goes into the divisional round with a huge disadvantage. Expand the playoffs to eight teams per conference so that good teams who play in a good division don’t get screwed out of a playoff spot just because someone had to come in first place in a bad division. I like to use the 2010 season as an example. The Giants and Buccaneers both went 10-6 but missed the playoffs due to tiebreakers, meanwhile the Seahawks got to host a home game at 7-9. It would also make the playoffs so much more exciting, as you would have the possibility of a huge first round upset instead of a beat up team going to play a well rested team. Yes the lower seeded teams do sometimes win in the divisional round, but it’s very rare that more than one or two divisional round upsets happen. In fact, since the modern idea of a first round bye was implemented, 16 of the 28 completed seasons (around 58%) have ended with two teams who had a first round bye week playing each other in the Super Bowl, and there has never been a Super Bowl played without at least one team in the game having had a first round bye since it was implemented in 1990.

I wouldn't like the idea of letting 8 teams in the playoffs. Keep it at 6 per conference so it doesn't become like the NHL or NBA where half the league makes it and you end up with a 8-8 or 7-9 wild card team (which would be the case this year in the NFC).  The regular season needs to matter.

I have no problem with the 1 seed getting rest and playing a team that isn't well rested. That is the advantage you get from being the best team in the conference over the course of the season.  Doing it your way would make it too much like March Madness where any team can win it and we'd end up with a 9-7 team playing an 8-8 team in the Super Bowl. While upsets are fun, you want the best teams to have the best shot to make it to the end.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Wild Card Week
« Reply #2571 on: December 31, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
I always thought that the solution would be to have 2 eight team divisions in each conference. The two division champs get byes, then the next 4 best teams get the wild card spots. But generating a schedule for that would be a nightmare.

Coaches losing their jobs this Black Monday (and yesterday). Lots of vacancies to choose from. Want the AZ job? It's open, even though Wilks only had one season to try to get something done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2572 on: December 31, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »
It's tough to only get 1 season, but the Cardinals were not only awful, they weren't even competitive in 7 of their losses.  This isn't college football. You cannot blown out on a regular basis like that and expect to keep your job.

And say adios to Vance Joseph!! Hallelujah!!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: December 31, 2018, 08:15:21 AM »
Congrats. Vance seems like a nice guy..... but he ain't what ya need.

So Gase is out @Miami.

to recap, the current Vacancies are:

Arizona
Cleveland
Denver
Green Bay
Miami
New York (Jets)
Tampa Bay

Crazy times when Cleveland looks to be the best job. Wonder if old Greg Williams did enough to get the "interim" tag removed. NY with Darnold & AZ with Rosen & the #1 pick look to be intriguing. Of course, who gets to be Aaron Rodgers new coach will be interesting.

And yet somehow..... no opening in Cincinnati.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: December 31, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
Well damn.. add Cincinnati to that list. I think Mike Brown has FINALLY seen enough!

Lewis says he still remains interested in coaching. So I guess he along with Caldwell will be the Rooney rule interviewees....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2575 on: December 31, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »
Hell has frozen over! Marvin Lewis is gone. However, that makes 4 black head coaches fired, which means the media is going to go nuts this week about it. Ugh.

I know Bruce Arians has talked about wanting to get back in the game, and he can probably call his spot.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2576 on: December 31, 2018, 09:07:27 AM »

I wouldn't like the idea of letting 8 teams in the playoffs. Keep it at 6 per conference so it doesn't become like the NHL or NBA where half the league makes it and you end up with a 8-8 or 7-9 wild card team (which would be the case this year in the NFC).  The regular season needs to matter.

The NHL playoffs are the most exciting of the four leagues though. And the regular season games don’t matter as much because there’s 82 of them. It has nothing to do with the number of teams that make the playoffs. With 16 games on the schedule, every game would still matter in the NFL even with an expanded playoff field.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: December 31, 2018, 09:22:20 AM »
Early thoughts on our 4 matchups?

Indy @ Houston - Like both the teams..... hoping for a fun shootout.

Seattle @ Dallas - Hoping for a Seattle win, but I think Dallas squeaks out a win.

L.A. Chargers @ Baltimore - No reason to think Baltimore doesn't win again 2 weeks after winning in LA.

Philly @ Chicago - Think that Philly's luck runs out. Should be a low scoring, defensive struggle.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: December 31, 2018, 09:38:38 AM »
Oh yeah... this article didn't age well. Only one of these guys still has his job (and a SB trophy!)....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14577884/ranking-new-nfl-head-coaching-hires-hue-jackson-cleveland-browns-first

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2579 on: December 31, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
I like both road teams in the AFC and both home teams in the NFC.

Seattle isn't nearly as good on the road as they are at home.

Philly isn't going on a magic run this year.

Yes, Baltimore won at LA last week, but the Chargers are the better team and I think will have better game plan this time.

Houston feasted on a ton of shitty QB's this season and their D got lit up nearly every time they faced a good one.  Plus, I do not trust Bill O'Brien.  Colts have won 9 of their last 10 and will keep it going.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2580 on: December 31, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
Change my mind.

No.  You can't make me.

I like both road teams in the AFC and both home teams in the NFC.

Seattle isn't nearly as good on the road as they are at home.

Philly isn't going on a magic run this year.

Yes, Baltimore won at LA last week, but the Chargers are the better team and I think will have better game plan this time.

Houston feasted on a ton of shitty QB's this season and their D got lit up nearly every time they faced a good one.  Plus, I do not trust Bill O'Brien.  Colts have won 9 of their last 10 and will keep it going.

Good Lord!  I...I agree with EVERYTHING Kev just posted...in a post in the NFL thread.  :marriageanalogy:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2581 on: December 31, 2018, 10:21:26 AM »
I will always be a huge Seahawk fan.  But having said that, I'm not above picking against them if I honestly feel their chances are slim.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that in the 7-9 season cited earlier, I picked the Saints to beat us.   But I was happily wrong about that one.

Now.  Having said THAT.   I think the Seahawks actually have a very good chance of beating Dallas on the road.  We're coming in healthy, and the 2nd half of our season was much stronger than our first.     I think the Seahawks trail early, come back late, and win by a FG.   

For the others, I'm going:

Bears over the Eagles
Chargers over the Ravens
Texans over the Colts

So basically, both 5 seeds win, and both 6 seeds lose.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #2582 on: December 31, 2018, 10:35:56 AM »
Early thoughts on our 4 matchups?

Indy @ Houston - Like both the teams..... hoping for a fun shootout.

Seattle @ Dallas - Hoping for a Seattle win, but I think Dallas squeaks out a win.

L.A. Chargers @ Baltimore - No reason to think Baltimore doesn't win again 2 weeks after winning in LA.

Philly @ Chicago - Think that Philly's luck runs out. Should be a low scoring, defensive struggle.

I'm taking the Colts over Houston.

Seattle over Dallas.

Chargers over Baltimore.

Philly over Chicago.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2583 on: December 31, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »

Good Lord!  I...I agree with EVERYTHING Kev just posted...in a post in the NFL thread.  :marriageanalogy:

:eek :eek :eek

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2584 on: December 31, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »
Andrew Luck is a dude from the mid-19th century whose time machine broke during a trip to the future and he's just making the best of a bad situation. Change my mind.
It's Captain Cave Man!   He's hilarious when you hear him yelling "READY" on the field before the ball snap!  I laugh every freaking time,  it just never gets old..   :lol  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2585 on: December 31, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
Is there anybody who still thinks Brees deserves the MVP over Mahomes? There can’t possibly be. I mean, who had to carry a shitty defense all year on top of his eye-popping stats?

Steelers post-mortem: It ain’t rocket science Cowherd (and others like him). They got ref-jobbed in 2 games and their kicker/defense choked a couple games away including several 4th quarter leads (or guys like JuJu fumbled the game away). You can’t make up for 4 lost games like that. Not to mention they were 7-1 in close games last year which is ripe for regression to the mean. Now of course bad officiating adversely affects a random number of teams each year so you can’t use that as an excuse, but it’s almost amusing that even in the Cle-Bal game yesterday the refs screwed the Browns out of a TD that would have sent the Steelers to the playoffs. Sometimes it’s just not your year (and I didn’t even mention trying to overcome Tomlin’s horrendous in-game coaching).

Order of who I’d like to see win the SB:

1. KC
2. LAR
3. IND
4. HOU
5. NO
6. PHI
7. CHI
8. SEA
9. LAC
10. BAL
11. DAL
12. LOL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2586 on: December 31, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Meanwhile, Antonio Brown has surpassed Odell Beckham when it comes to be a diva:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/31/antonio-brown-dispute-steelers-news-nfl/stories/201812310108

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2587 on: December 31, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
Order of who I would like to see win the Super Bowl.

01: Chargers
02: Saints
03: Rams
04: Bears
05: Texans
06: Colts
07: Ravens
08: Chiefs
09: Cowboys
10: Seahawks
11: Eagles

12: Lose both of my legs in a car accident

13: Watch all of my cats die in a fire

14: Every nuclear weapon goes off at the same time

15. Patriots

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2588 on: December 31, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
^I pretty much agree with that.  Except that you spelled "15. Seahawks" wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2589 on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
^I pretty much agree with that.  Except that you spelled "15. Seahawks" wrong.

Makes sense. I wouldn’t expect a 49ers fan to ever root for the Seahawks just like a Jets fan like me would never root for the Pats. If it’s any consolation, the only reason the Eagles rank lower is because they won last year.

-MirrorMask