3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188007 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Colts/Titans Play In Game.
« Reply #2520 on: December 24, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
You always have a chance when you have a top 5 coach (Carroll) and a top 5 QB (Wilson).

I only saw the last few minutes of Saints/Steelers, but I did enjoy seeing them lost in agonizing fashion. :biggrin:

Ya....this.  I'm still bitter about SB40.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

Re: 2018 NFL Thread
« Reply #2521 on: December 24, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »

Something like 14 out of 15 years now that at least one team who finished worst in their division finishes 1st the following season. To me, Houston is that team...provided that Watson and Watt have a healthy season. I expect Jacksonville to come back to earth a bit.

Chicago is the other team I expect to rise from the ashes. And while I don't expect overtake Minnesota for the division, they may have a very good campaign regardless.

Oakland I think is set up for failure. Gruden just seems set in his old ways. That defense is going to get gashed. 

I don't see Kansas City finishing in last place. I have them barely edging out the Chargers for the division... and while I think the Chargers will be good, they've already had some bad injuries and seem to be a snakebitten franchise.

Seattle had a crazy offseason... but I think Wilson wills them to a 2nd place finish. San Fran will be better.. but they still have issues to address before actually being a competitor. I wish they would make a trade for Coleman or Bell. That would be exciting.

I guess if we're talking about preseason picks....... I was close on some things.....
Wow, you were pretty spot on!  Except for the 49ers. However, they did beat Seattle last week.  Seattle totally made up for it on last night's game against KC. What a game!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2522 on: December 24, 2018, 01:43:13 PM »
Fingers crossed that Jared Cook has a quiet game tonight.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2523 on: December 24, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »
Predictably, there is nothing on ESPN’s homepage about what several other football sites are calling a “historically” awful dpi call on Joe Haden that completely changed the game. Even a Saints fan said it was the worst he’d ever seen. Throw in a couple of the usual Tomlin blunders and there goes another season. Go Chiefs I guess.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread
« Reply #2524 on: December 24, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

Something like 14 out of 15 years now that at least one team who finished worst in their division finishes 1st the following season. To me, Houston is that team...provided that Watson and Watt have a healthy season. I expect Jacksonville to come back to earth a bit.

Chicago is the other team I expect to rise from the ashes. And while I don't expect overtake Minnesota for the division, they may have a very good campaign regardless.

Oakland I think is set up for failure. Gruden just seems set in his old ways. That defense is going to get gashed. 

I don't see Kansas City finishing in last place. I have them barely edging out the Chargers for the division... and while I think the Chargers will be good, they've already had some bad injuries and seem to be a snakebitten franchise.

Seattle had a crazy offseason... but I think Wilson wills them to a 2nd place finish. San Fran will be better.. but they still have issues to address before actually being a competitor. I wish they would make a trade for Coleman or Bell. That would be exciting.

I guess if we're talking about preseason picks....... I was close on some things.....
Wow, you were pretty spot on!  Except for the 49ers. However, they did beat Seattle last week.  Seattle totally made up for it on last night's game against KC. What a game!!!

Thanks....I think I get a pass on SF due to all of their injuries.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2525 on: December 24, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »
Predictably, there is nothing on ESPN’s homepage about what several other football sites are calling a “historically” awful dpi call on Joe Haden that completely changed the game. Even a Saints fan said it was the worst he’d ever seen. Throw in a couple of the usual Tomlin blunders and there goes another season. Go Chiefs I guess.

I didn't see the play until today, but while it can be called ticky-tack, Haden did have his hand on Kamara's back and appeared to give a little nudge that made it impossible for Kamara to jump and make a play on the ball.  An iffy call, but historically awful?  Come on, now.

You want historically awful?  Go watch SB40.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2526 on: December 24, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
Or better still, SB XIII. Seattle got beaten by Pitt. It wasn't the refs that let Randall-el burn them, or Bettis grind out the clock. Dallas and Pitt was a close game, until a ridiculous call gave Pitt a 1st down in the 4th quarter. Without that Dallas has all the momentum going forward.

https://youtu.be/GmxG1NlrB-c?t=822
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2527 on: December 24, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »
Or better still, SB XIII. Seattle got beaten by Pitt. It wasn't the refs that let Randall-el burn them, or Bettis grind out the clock. Dallas and Pitt was a close game, until a ridiculous call gave Pitt a 1st down in the 4th quarter. Without that Dallas has all the momentum going forward.

But it WAS the refs that give Pitt a TD when Big Ben never crossed the goal line.   >:(
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2528 on: December 24, 2018, 07:11:07 PM »
The Saints suffered the majority of the bad calls early on and then things gradually seemed to even out and it seemed like they were calling a needlessly tight game start to finish. Anyone who's not a Saints fan will likely be unaware of how the Saints got brutally hosed by the zebras year in and year out until we became a media darling during the early Payton/Brees years. Once Goodell did his bounty bullshit, they were a marked team again and have been on the shit's end of the stick for the overwhelming majority of poorly called games they've been a part of (Thursday night Falcons meeting last year comes to mind.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2529 on: December 25, 2018, 01:38:49 AM »

But it WAS the refs that give Pitt a TD when Big Ben never crossed the goal line.   >:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93VaUytd4w

At the top of his jump the ball was over the white line. And if you dispute that, it was a 3rd down play with Jerome Bettis ready, willing and able to punch it through on the next down.

The whole thing about the refs screwing Seattle in that game is a huge myth. Nobody made their over-rated TE step on his dick the whole game. Nobody made their WR obviously push off on a sure TD catch. Nobody made their secondary get completely fooled on a trick play. And nobody made their entire defense part like the red sea when Willy Parker had his long run. Seattle did themselves in and started pointing fingers.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: December 25, 2018, 03:49:56 AM »
Happy Festivus Maximus....

Well, the PTB switched the meaningful games to later starts again.  I would gladly tune in to the Chiefs or the Chargers games, and flip to the Bears-Vikings.  But they moved the AFC North games from 1pm, so I'll be tuning into ONLY the Ravens-Browns.  They did this last year to Balto......a NY Eve that screwed over just about everyone. 

I'm glad they don't do a MNF game on the last week anymore.  Wish they'd do away with the SNF game for the final week as well.  I feel for the Colts-Titans fans. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2531 on: December 25, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
Happy Festivus Maximus....

Well, the PTB switched the meaningful games to later starts again.  I would gladly tune in to the Chiefs or the Chargers games, and flip to the Bears-Vikings.  But they moved the AFC North games from 1pm, so I'll be tuning into ONLY the Ravens-Browns.  They did this last year to Balto......a NY Eve that screwed over just about everyone. 

I'm glad they don't do a MNF game on the last week anymore.  Wish they'd do away with the SNF game for the final week as well.  I feel for the Colts-Titans fans.

The Colts-Titans in Nashville should be a good game.  I did not realize that the Titans have not beaten the Colts with Luck as quarterback.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Russell Wilson - "Notoriously Dirty Player"
« Reply #2532 on: December 25, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
Pre-Week 17 Power Rankings
1. Saints - two home wins from the Super Bowl
2. Rams - not sure beating the Cards means they righted the ship, but they should be able lock down a bye this week
3. Chargers - tough loss that probably cost them the division, but they are still 10-2 in their last 12
4. Bears - that defense will give them a shot in any playoff game
5. Ravens - unstoppable run game and great D might make them the team to beat in the AFC, regardless of seeding
6. Chiefs - they'll probably grab the 1 seed this week, but after two losses in a row and reminders of how bad that defense is, they have divisional round home loss written all over them
7. Patriots - they look vulnerable, but with a bye and a weak number 1 seed, they might need just two home wins to make the Super Bowl
8. Cowboys - inconsistent passing game is a concern, but their defense is legit
9. Texans - still a team almost no one trusts, although DeSean Watson and DeAndre Hopkins are both special
10. Seahawks - As great as they look at home, they will need to get a lot better on the road to make any playoff noise

Trending up:
Colts - things are looking up for this franchise
Titans - can they finally beat Andrew Luck?
Vikings - getting it together finally
Eagles - Nick Foles saving the day again, but it is too late?
Browns - imagine if they had not given away the first six weeks or so when they stuck with Hue Jackson

Trending down:
Steelers - a team with this much talent should not be missing the playoffs
Broncos - please fire Vance Joseph
Dolphins - I will ask again, was anyone really buying this team when they had that surprise start?
Panthers - still stunned at their collapse, but Ron Rivera should not take the fall for it
Bengals - Marvin Lewis + Hue Jackson = disaster

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Patrick Mahomes - despite the back to back losses, the award is his
2. Drew Brees - likely looking at another 2nd place finish
3. Philip Rivers - phenomenal season overall, but any shot he had went out the window Saturday night
4. Andrew Luck - he's not getting the pub for it, but he should probably be much more in the conversation than he is
5. Russell Wilson - it still feels like many do not acknowledge how great he is

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2533 on: December 25, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
Kev, just wanted to say that these are great weekly recaps that you do. Very informed and informative. I'm not football dumb (kind of), but I appreciate these insightful lists.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2534 on: December 27, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
I'm registering my dissent (again!) on Mahomes.   I say it goes to Rivers, or, if you have to have the team be a winner, Brees.  You're seeing the real Mahomes now.  Close but no cigar when the chips are on the line. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2535 on: December 27, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »
I'm registering my dissent (again!) on Mahomes.   I say it goes to Rivers, or, if you have to have the team be a winner, Brees.  You're seeing the real Mahomes now.  Close but no cigar when the chips are on the line.

I have no idea what any of this means, at all, but I completely disagree with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2536 on: December 27, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »
My gut tells me that Brees will win the MVP.

Of course, it also tells me that extra jalapenos are a good idea (spoiler alert: it's not a good idea), so take that for what it's worth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2537 on: December 27, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »
Kev, just wanted to say that these are great weekly recaps that you do. Very informed and informative. I'm not football dumb (kind of), but I appreciate these insightful lists.

:tup :tup

Yeah, as great as he has been, he can't be that good if he can't overcome his own defense which has allowed an average of 41 points per game in their four losses, right? :P :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2538 on: December 27, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »

:tup :tup

Yeah, as great as he has been, he can't be that good if he can't overcome his own defense which has allowed an average of 41 points per game in their four losses, right? :P :lol

Well, his defense has sucked even in the wins.  I'm speaking more of the several times in recent games where he had a choice to be a good quarterback or "Patrick MahomesTM" and he chose the latter.   He opted to make the bad throw off the wrong foot using his off-hand, or whatever.  GREAT QBs do that kind of thing as a last resort; in the games I've watched, it seems as if he's doing that as his go-to, and that's not a sustainable strategy.   

I've been predicting the Chiefs fade since about week three, and they're right on schedule.  I'm even calling a loss this weekend against the Oakland Raiders. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2539 on: December 30, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Did you also predict the Kareem Hunt situation?

Because let's face it, their lackluster play in the last month totally correlates to the release of the Hunt video and his subsequent release.  Sure, they are getting good production out of their replacement RBs, but the impact something like that does on a team psychologically cannot be underestimated.  In their four games since Hunt's release:

-they eked out a road win over the hapless Raiders
-eked out a miracle home win over the Ravens (largely thanks to an incredible 4th and 9 play by PATRICK MAHOMES)
-lost at home to the Chargers
-lost on the road to the Seahawks

Even with the defense stinking all season, the team has not looked the same since losing Hunt.  I know it's fun to blame Andy Reid and act like this is a typical late season Andy Reid fade (which is a false narrative anyway), but you have to be fair and look at all of the facts.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2540 on: December 30, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »
As if the Jets aren't overmatched enough today, evidently any laying of hands on Tom Brady is cause for a personal foul  ::)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2541 on: December 30, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
As if the Jets aren't overmatched enough today, evidently any laying of hands on Tom Brady is cause for a personal foul  ::)

Only when the ball is long gone with two or more steps to go.. ;D

Actually, Chung basically did the same thing on the 4th down TD attempt. Darnold has to learn sell that like the old man.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2542 on: December 30, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
It really is depressing that the only thing I have to root for today is the Broncos' draft position  :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2543 on: December 30, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »

You make me happy Bill.

And my beers today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2544 on: December 30, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
I didn't see much of that game, but the Jets looked like they wanted to be anywhere but on a football field.

Will be curious to see if the Bears try to actually win this game against the Vikings.  I suspect they will have a vanilla game plan since they don't want to show too much to a team they might have to play again next week in the wild card round.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: December 30, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
Bears already scored.   Looks like they are going for it early.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2546 on: December 30, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
Predictions now for the time of next week's games:

Houston home game will be the late Saturday afternoon game (always the game seen as the least desirable to watch)
Dallas was get the Saturday night game
Bears will get the early Sunday game
Other AFC game will be the late Sunday game (Chargers or Chiefs at Ravens or Steelers)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2547 on: December 30, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
The officials just did an awesome job of getting the Vikings back in this game.  Nice job as always, NFL.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2548 on: December 30, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »
The officials just did an awesome job of getting the Vikings back in this game.  Nice job as always, NFL.
Yeah, Troy wasn't a fan, either.  :lol

Looks like Phili punched their ticket to the playoffs but lost Foles doing it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2549 on: December 30, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
If he can't play next week, that is awful for NFL fans. I would have rather seen Minnesota make it than see Philly make it with their 3rd string QB starting.

Mayfield about to drive down the field and knock the Ravens out and make Steelers fans happy.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
Philadelphia sneaks back in!

From let's go Bears to LETS GO BEAT THE BEARS

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: December 30, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
What a catch by Landry. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2552 on: December 30, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »
Damn. I thought Cleveland was going to win.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: December 30, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »
Epic finish in Baltimore......have a feeling that Baker is just getting started. Browns are gonna be a problem next year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2554 on: December 30, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
What a finish.

Barkley will probably win the Rookie of the Year award, but Mayfield should win it.