3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188068 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Da Bears take Da division.
« Reply #2485 on: December 20, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
Josh Gordon done again. I guess this shouldn't surprise anybody, but for some reason it kind of does. Kid's got talent. Shame he's such a knucklehead.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/josh-gordon-stepping-away-from-football-to-focus-on-mental-health/25640762

Talk about a kid that can't get out of his own way.  Such a talent.  Loosing so much money of a game we'd all wish we could play for a living.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2486 on: December 20, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
Josh Gordon done again. I guess this shouldn't surprise anybody, but for some reason it kind of does. Kid's got talent. Shame he's such a knucklehead.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/josh-gordon-stepping-away-from-football-to-focus-on-mental-health/25640762

Exactly what we went through with Martavis Bryant. Which reminds me, I keep hearing how the Steelers are lucky with drafting elite receiver talent - since AB in 2010 who exactly outside of JuJu has made any impact at all? The Steelers had to play the 2016 AFC Championship Game (after AB got hurt) with 3 receivers who aren't even on a roster now. Even Le'Veon Bell was over-rated last year, he averaged barely 4 yards a carry but sometimes had a heavy work load to compensate. Now the Chargers on the other hand, they've got some receivers . . .

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: December 20, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
If you read Josh's statement it sounds like he wants to work on himself.   Truth is, he's been busted again for the league substance abuse and was getting indefinitely suspended.   PR all the way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2488 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »

Exactly what we went through with Martavis Bryant. Which reminds me, I keep hearing how the Steelers are lucky with drafting elite receiver talent - since AB in 2010 who exactly outside of JuJu has made any impact at all? The Steelers had to play the 2016 AFC Championship Game (after AB got hurt) with 3 receivers who aren't even on a roster now. Even Le'Veon Bell was over-rated last year, he averaged barely 4 yards a carry but sometimes had a heavy work load to compensate. Now the Chargers on the other hand, they've got some receivers . . .

Not a direct answer to your specific question, but a long term run of Ward -> Holmes -> Brown -> Smith-Sheuster, and is a run that many teams would love to have.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2489 on: December 20, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »
Not to mention that Mike Wallace was really good there for a few years at the start of this decade.

And they did draft Emmanuel Sanders, who became a very good WR (albeit not till he came to Denver).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2490 on: December 21, 2018, 06:56:58 AM »

I thought that the environment might be enough to swing the pendulum a bit; I think we forget that even to get to that level requires a ton of effort and commitment, it's just the precious view that can sustain it and continue that (mental) toughness for what is considered a "career".  I thought that being around other guys - Edelman, Hogan, Gronk, Brady - that didn't really fuck around with that stuff might be enough.

It's not.   Sad, because I think he really gave glimpses of what COULD be, and man did it look good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: December 21, 2018, 07:59:53 AM »
Hey, since we're off the "Wentz" bandwagon now, we've got one foot on the ground with the "Jimmy G" bandwagon (though I think that's not a completely written story yet; he hasn't returned to play for the Pats yet), and the clock is ticking on the "Mahomes is the next Tom Brady!" bandwagon, anyone want to start in on the "Lamar Jackson" bandwagon?   Surely he's the next whoever, right?  He's got four games under his belt.  That's enough. 

Speaking of Jimmy G, I'm not at all saying that Bill planned all this, but sometimes luck favors the prepared, and this could play out fantastically for the Pats.  I believe Brady's seasons are now measured in the low single digits (three at the outside, in my opinion), I think Josh McDaniels is the next head coach of the Green Bay Packers, and I think Jimmy's stock is at best even, if not dropping a little.  I can see another season, and if Jimmy doesn't put up top ten numbers, the Pats take him back in a relative - a RELATIVE - fire sale, and Bill is in about as good a shape as he could ever expected in a post-Brady world. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: December 21, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
Comparing Mahomes' start to Brady's start is an insult to Mahomes, not to Brady. Of course Mahomes is off to a sizzling start, and he has a long way to go to pass the many great QBs ahead of him in terms of legacy, but let's not pretend that Brady was some superstar QB his first years in the league. He was a good QB on a great defensive team.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: December 21, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
Comparing Mahomes' start to Brady's start is an insult to Mahomes, not to Brady. Of course Mahomes is off to a sizzling start, and he has a long way to go to pass the many great QBs ahead of him in terms of legacy, but let's not pretend that Brady was some superstar QB his first years in the league. He was a good QB on a great defensive team.

Well to be clear I wasn't comparing the early Brady to the early Mahomes; that's on others.  But I wouldn't compare Mahomes to Brady on ANY level.  Watching him in that last game come up short, but throwing off the wrong foot, heaving prayer passes with the wrong hand... I think he's been drinking some of his own Kool-Aid, and that's not a recipe for success in the National Football League.  Couple that with the necessary and inevitable late season Andy Reid fold, and I believe Kansas City is in for a tall, cool glass of reality in the next couple weeks/months.   If you're going to excuse Brady because of his "defense" or "Belichick" or "Gronk", then SURELY you have to take some account of Hill, Kelce, et al in Kansas City. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2494 on: December 21, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »

Well to be clear I wasn't comparing the early Brady to the early Mahomes; that's on others.  But I wouldn't compare Mahomes to Brady on ANY level.  Watching him in that last game come up short, but throwing off the wrong foot, heaving prayer passes with the wrong hand... I think he's been drinking some of his own Kool-Aid, and that's not a recipe for success in the National Football League.  Couple that with the necessary and inevitable late season Andy Reid fold, and I believe Kansas City is in for a tall, cool glass of reality in the next couple weeks/months.   If you're going to excuse Brady because of his "defense" or "Belichick" or "Gronk", then SURELY you have to take some account of Hill, Kelce, et al in Kansas City.

Mahomes strikes me as an insanely talented dude. His talents probably allowed for the throwing off of the wrong foot/wrong hand to have minimal consequences in high school and college football. He like any young player needs to realize that the NFL is an entirely different beast. I have no doubts he'll clean it up and learn a bit of discretion.  Also, as far as he goes, I don't consider a non-Super Bowl appearance this year as a failure. Sure if they go one and done in the playoffs, or even lose in the AFC Championship game.... all of that Andy Reid talk will be the story, but what Mahomes has done this season could be argued as the best first full season at the QB position in NFL history. And while I acknowledge that he has a lot of weapons to help him, it is also fair to say that more is expected of him because the defense has been terrible more often than not this year. I think that needs to be factored in.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2495 on: December 22, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
I have noticed that Mahomes doesn't have always have great fundamentals, because, like you said, DOC, his talent is off the charts and he is used to getting away with it - Aaron Rodgers is guilty of this as well - but it will catch up to him at some point.  He has just gotten away with it more often than not this year because he is surrounded by such great skill position players (best TE in the league and the scariest/fastest WR, not to mention he had a stud RB for most of the season).  Don't get me wrong, he has still had an unreal season and will be first season All-Pro...and it took five seasons for Brady to even get good enough to be second team All-Pro, so there's that, so yeah, the Brady/Mahomes comparison really doesn't make sense since Brady slowly evolved into a great QB, while Mahomes appears to already be there, although recent history has shown us that you have to do it more than once to really be great (see: Dak two years ago, Wentz last year).

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2496 on: December 22, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »
Just heard Curt Menefee, for at least the second time say "The Saints can clinch a bye with a win tomorrow." during the Redskins/Titans game. Bruh...they lock up the #1 seed with a victory so it just sounds dumb the way he's putting it since it basically makes it come off like he (or more realistically, the person spoon-feeding him what to say via ear piece) doesn't even know the Saints own the tiebreaker against the Rams despite their meeting earlier this season being, at worst, the 4th most publicized game of this season with only LAR/KC, KC/NE, and LAC/KC possibly being ahead of it.

Aside from being a polite puppet with a pleasant smile, I have no idea what Fox sees in Menefee even taking into account how already-horrible basically their entire crew is and has been since they acquired the NFC package in 1994.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2497 on: December 22, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »
Just heard Curt Menefee, for at least the second time say "The Saints can clinch a bye with a win tomorrow." during the Redskins/Titans game. Bruh...they lock up the #1 seed with a victory so it just sounds dumb the way he's putting it since it basically makes it come off like he (or more realistically, the person spoon-feeding him what to say via ear piece) doesn't even know the Saints own the tiebreaker against the Rams despite their meeting earlier this season being, at worst, the 4th most publicized game of this season with only LAR/KC, KC/NE, and LAC/KC possibly being ahead of it.

Aside from being a polite puppet with a pleasant smile, I have no idea what Fox sees in Menefee even taking into account how already-horrible basically their entire crew is and has been since they acquired the NFC package in 1994.
The Saints could conceivably wind up with the third seed if they lose tomorrow. You're focusing on the Rams but the Bears are also in play.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2498 on: December 22, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »
The Saints would have to lose consecutive games for the first time all season with both games at home and a McDonald's employee at QB for the Panthers in week 17. You're looking pretty far down the slope of probability there. Also, any loss by the Rams or Bears guarantees the Saints a bye. Even if the Saints lose both games, both the Rams and Bears have to win both of their remaining games to prevent the Saints from getting the #1 seed.

Additionally, the point I'm making is that Fox is utilizing their commentators to sell the games in the most hype-worthy way possible so it makes zero sense to "hype" a game while short-arming what's at stake. It sounds more exciting to hear that a team can clinch homefield throughout the playoffs than it does to say they're simply getting a bye.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:08:44 PM by black_biff_stadler »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2499 on: December 22, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
Rivers shitting the bed so far. Thanks a lot Phyllis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2500 on: December 22, 2018, 09:48:07 PM »
I only saw the last few minutes of the game tonight, but given how nasty their D and running game have been,  I am not surprised the Ravens pulled the upset.

Now, the Steelers probably have to win at New Orleans tomorrow to make the playoffs.  If they lose tomorrow and the Colts win, the Ravens win the division with a week 17 win and Colts/Titans would be for the 2nd wild card.

Which means the Steelers will pull the upset tomorrow. :lol :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2501 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
After the loss in Game 15 on the last play to the Steelers in 2016, and the gut wrenching last minute 4th and 12 loss to the Bengals last year in the final game, and the loss to KC this year, the win tonight was huge.  Almost clutched defeat from the jaws of victory because the offense went in the tank, but the defense really shined late.  Only 198 total yards for the Chargers.

Oddly....it sets up a game next week that now scares the daylights out of many of the Ravens fans:  a win or go home matchup against the Browns. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:18:40 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2502 on: December 23, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
The AFC North is still a hell of a division. Even with 3 rookie/backup QBs it is the only division with no team worse than 6-8.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2503 on: December 23, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
Gronk has turned into Raiders era Randy Moss. At this point the guy's bordering on liability. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: December 23, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
Brady is definitely injured. Just left the game.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2505 on: December 23, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »
He didn't look injured at all. I figured it was just them calling the game a foregone conclusion, but that is atypical of BB. They weren't looking at him on the sideline, and he just looked morose.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2506 on: December 23, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
I heard the radio pregame while having lunch at work...I missed the game, but Zo was mentioning how Brady's pregame routine was abbreviated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: December 23, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
He didn't look injured at all. I figured it was just them calling the game a foregone conclusion, but that is atypical of BB. They weren't looking at him on the sideline, and he just looked morose.

Brady did not do his pre game run the whole field and scream the "Let's go!"

His knee is not right.  He won't say it  but we see it locally.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:06:59 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2508 on: December 23, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »
NOW Boswell makes a kick. Couldn’t make the chip shots against the Browns or Raiders. Leading the league with 12 missed kicks. Thanks to this clown, in desperation mode.

LOL at that dpi against Haden.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:55:53 PM by Dream Team »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2509 on: December 23, 2018, 03:48:45 PM »
Third straight strong performance by Darnold since he came back from his foot injury. Feeling good about his future.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2510 on: December 23, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Anyone watching the Pit-NO game? Pretty sure I can tell who the best player on the field is.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2511 on: December 23, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
Thank goodness the Packers let Rodgers play in a meaningless game which all but eliminated any chance of a top ten draft pick.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2512 on: December 23, 2018, 09:06:59 PM »
Anyone watching the Pit-NO game? Pretty sure I can tell who the best player on the field is.

The back judge?  That ref should be fired, and by fired I mean literally set on fire.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2513 on: December 23, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
SEAHAWKS DO IT AGAIN!!!   :metal :metal :metal :metal   Some great offensive plays by them in this one.  Playoffs again, for a predicted 4 win team!  :lol

And don't go blaming it on the refs.  Chiefs had plenty of chances to score and failed, just like the Vikings.  Chiefs tried to on-side kick it at the end and failed.  Not the refs fault.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2514 on: December 23, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
SEAHAWKS DO IT AGAIN!!!   :metal :metal :metal :metal   Some great offensive plays by them in this one.  Playoffs again, for a predicted 4 win team!  :lol

And don't go blaming it on the refs.  Chiefs had plenty of chances to score and failed, just like the Vikings.  Chiefs tried to on-side kick it at the end and failed.  Not the refs fault.

People called me nuts for saying they would be 10-6 this year.    We beat the Cardinals at home next week, and I nailed it perfect.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2515 on: December 23, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »

Ratings for the Steelers-Saints game were probably through the roof in Baltimore...
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2516 on: December 24, 2018, 12:16:42 AM »

People called me nuts for saying they would be 10-6 this year.    We beat the Cardinals at home next week, and I nailed it perfect.
Back in September one of my friends on FB was asking everyone what they thought would be the outcome of the Seahawks, and I said 10-6 too. It looks like we could be right as long as they beat the Cardinals..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2517 on: December 24, 2018, 01:55:15 AM »
Hell Yeah Seahawks pulled it off...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread
« Reply #2518 on: December 24, 2018, 05:58:11 AM »

Something like 14 out of 15 years now that at least one team who finished worst in their division finishes 1st the following season. To me, Houston is that team...provided that Watson and Watt have a healthy season. I expect Jacksonville to come back to earth a bit.

Chicago is the other team I expect to rise from the ashes. And while I don't expect overtake Minnesota for the division, they may have a very good campaign regardless.

Oakland I think is set up for failure. Gruden just seems set in his old ways. That defense is going to get gashed. 

I don't see Kansas City finishing in last place. I have them barely edging out the Chargers for the division... and while I think the Chargers will be good, they've already had some bad injuries and seem to be a snakebitten franchise.

Seattle had a crazy offseason... but I think Wilson wills them to a 2nd place finish. San Fran will be better.. but they still have issues to address before actually being a competitor. I wish they would make a trade for Coleman or Bell. That would be exciting.

I guess if we're talking about preseason picks....... I was close on some things.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Colts/Titans Play In Game.
« Reply #2519 on: December 24, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
You always have a chance when you have a top 5 coach (Carroll) and a top 5 QB (Wilson).

I only saw the last few minutes of Saints/Steelers, but I did enjoy seeing them lost in agonizing fashion. :biggrin: