3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 187929 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Big Easy
« Reply #2170 on: November 30, 2018, 09:07:37 AM »
Anyone else get a kick out of Big Ben this week finding a way to blame everything but himself for the Broncos loss?  Way to be a leader as always, Ben.  :tdwn :tdwn

I found that funny as well, I'm not sure I'd call it a fluke when you throw the ball directly to the other team in the end zone  :lol If Harris wasn't there, then Roby probably would've picked it off anyway.

Exactly. Ben tried to dismiss it as luck, like the lineman got blocked off the line so badly that he felt into an interception, but he ignored the fact that Roby had undercut A Brown and was there to make the pick as well.

Honestly, I think Ben is aggravated with what a circus the Steelers often are (and has been for years), and is taking the "don't blame me, it's not my fault the team isn't buttoned up" stance, but it's just a bad look for a star QB.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Big D
« Reply #2171 on: November 30, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
No dog in the hunt, but why wasn't this a penalty (and possible ejection) last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KONLwWbaw
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2172 on: November 30, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
No dog in the hunt, but why wasn't this a penalty (and possible ejection) last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KONLwWbaw
Because the refs had a really bad night. They missed several pretty obvious penalties. For what it's worth, both teams won some and lost some regarding missed penalties. It all evened out at the end. And at least in this case the league will fine Jaylon Smith, or have him shot, or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2173 on: November 30, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
I don't know that it ever really "evens out."  When refs miss calls, either the number or timing will generally favor one team or the other.  And in a close game, that's all it takes to swing the balance sometimes.  But that's just the way it goes.  Unless someone is going to claim that refs deliberately looked the other way to swing a game, that's life.  They're human.  They screw up.  In real time, with all those bodies flying around and so much to watch for, things get missed that may seem obvious from the comfort of our armchairs or the broadcast booth.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Big Easy
« Reply #2174 on: November 30, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
Anyone else get a kick out of Big Ben this week finding a way to blame everything but himself for the Broncos loss?  Way to be a leader as always, Ben.  :tdwn :tdwn

I found that funny as well, I'm not sure I'd call it a fluke when you throw the ball directly to the other team in the end zone  :lol If Harris wasn't there, then Roby probably would've picked it off anyway.

Exactly. Ben tried to dismiss it as luck, like the lineman got blocked off the line so badly that he felt into an interception, but he ignored the fact that Roby had undercut A Brown and was there to make the pick as well.

Honestly, I think Ben is aggravated with what a circus the Steelers often are (and has been for years), and is taking the "don't blame me, it's not my fault the team isn't buttoned up" stance, but it's just a bad look for a star QB.

Devils advocate - Ben has typically taken responsibility for losses throughout his career. He has only does this in the past when he felt like calling guys out would potentially be an effective way to motivate them. Leaders can call other players out, that doesn't make them a bad leader. Also, for you to dismiss Ben's leadership on this team shows you don't know much about the Steelers. Ben is probably one of only a couple true team leaders left in that room after a large number of them have left from the early 2000s Super Bowl teams over the last handful of years.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2175 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »
I don't know that it ever really "evens out."  When refs miss calls, either the number or timing will generally favor one team or the other.  And in a close game, that's all it takes to swing the balance sometimes. 
Yeah, but this really wasn't a very close game. My point was that would have been a significant benefit to the Saints, but there was a missed facemask shortly after that would have been just as significant for Dallas.

But that's just the way it goes.  Unless someone is going to claim that refs deliberately looked the other way to swing a game, that's life.  They're human.  They screw up.  In real time, with all those bodies flying around and so much to watch for, things get missed that may seem obvious from the comfort of our armchairs or the broadcast booth.
This is spot-on, though. It's also why I get annoyed when people say somebody won thanks to the refs. Either there's a conspiracy and we're all watching a rebranding of WWE, or it's just the way things work, and we trust that they work the same for everybody.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2177 on: November 30, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
Was just about to post that.

Kareem Hunt is a POS.  Stick a fork in him.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2178 on: November 30, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Last night was a tale of two defensive halves.  Saints scoreless in the 1st half and Dallas scoreless in the 2nd half.  The only difference was Payton's decision to go for it on 4th down when they should've kicked a FG.  Not to mention that he didn't use his challenges wisely and could've used them more wisely later in the game.

As far as the refs go, is there ever a single game where both teams don't get bad calls or no calls?  It's extremely rare.  It's something that every team has to live with at one point or another.

The H to H hit by Smith on Kamara should've been called and he will probably be fined by the league, but I don't think he meant to do it intentionally.

Smith on hit:  "It is what it is."
Kamara on hit:  "I came back out, didn't I?"   :lol

BTW, Randy Gregory is an idiot.  He single handedly almost cost Dallas that game.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: November 30, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »
Was just about to post that.

Kareem Hunt is a POS.  Stick a fork in him.

That is one hard push he gave.  That girls head goes right into the wall and she is clearly dazed.  The kick wasn't so bad in terms of being violent but holy hell is that one huge dick move to kick someone over like that.  He really is a POS after watching that.  And to think this is all because she didn't want to hook up with one of his friends?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2180 on: November 30, 2018, 02:12:19 PM »
The NFL really is a joke. The Hunt deal happened in February, and they knew about it at the very least in August, and probably a lot earlier. The big question will be whether or not it's another Ray Rice thing, where they claim to have not seen the video despite having viewed it early on.

And just another reminder, one of the league's own investigators said that the Ezekiel Elliot allegations were likely bullshit.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: November 30, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »
The NFL really is a joke. The Hunt deal happened in February, and they knew about it at the very least in August, and probably a lot earlier. The big question will be whether or not it's another Ray Rice thing, where they claim to have not seen the video despite having viewed it early on.

And just another reminder, one of the league's own investigators said that the Ezekiel Elliot allegations were likely bullshit.

Yea, there is no consistency here.  The article says the video was evidence for the police, which I don't understand why they didn't press any charges.  Is it because he pushed his friend who then went into the girl?  Like he didn't directly push the girl, or maybe he did but its hard to tell from the video, and therefor that's a bit harder to get a conviction?  The kick was extremely douchey but not terribly violent but maybe one could still say that is assault?  I don't know, the NFL once again needs to answer questions about their handling of domestic abuse.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2182 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
Maybe this is just me being a cranky old man or something, but it seems to me that if a player is involved in a 3AM altercation with a woman because she wouldn't fuck a member of his posse, maybe video of him kicking her ass isn't necessary to consider some disciplinary action.

The NFL is fucked any way this goes. They're supposed to be investigating these things independently of LEO. They knew about the event, and video was handed over to LEO. Either the NFL saw the video, willfully chose not to see the video, or is just fucking incompetent. Pleading the 3rd option is clearly in their best interest, but I think I'd bet on the second choice. Hard to say. There aren't any good answers, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2183 on: November 30, 2018, 03:13:53 PM »
I picked up Spencer Ware a couple weeks ago in my fantasy league as a lotter ticket in case Kareem Hunt went down with an injury... I guess this works too  :|
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2184 on: November 30, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
This one's going to be a lot tougher for the Chiefs/NFL to sweep under the rug than the Tyreek Hill incident (choking and punching a pregnant woman in the stomach). I guess Hill set an example that you can get away with something like that before entering the NFL as long as you can produce like a superstar. It still amazes me how few NFL fans seem to be aware of that horrific incident.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: November 30, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
Unfortunately the masses need video footage to be outrage.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Chiefs cut their Kicker
« Reply #2186 on: November 30, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheBradShepard/status/1068307097023119360

Oh fuck yes! I can literally here dozens of XFL fans screaming in joy right outside my window as I type this.

Is the XFL like going out with a girl a couple times, then after getting dumped, coming back 10 years later and thinking "Hey, I wonder if she'd like to go out with me again?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2187 on: November 30, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »
This one's going to be a lot tougher for the Chiefs/NFL to sweep under the rug than the Tyreek Hill incident (choking and punching a pregnant woman in the stomach). I guess Hill set an example that you can get away with something like that before entering the NFL as long as you can produce like a superstar. It still amazes me how few NFL fans seem to be aware of that horrific incident.

What about Joe Mixon cold cocking a woman and still getting a big NFL contract?

Also, the Chiefs cut Hunt.  They are taking the "he lied to us about the incident" stance, but which means they can act like they thought what happened amounted to nothing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2188 on: December 01, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
Well, in fairness, if they hadn't seen the video, it sounds like there was a lot of conflicting information being given by the different parties. I would find it difficult to discipline a player when the whole story wasn't known.

Now, if they did see the video and they did nothing, there deserve to be heads rolling.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2189 on: December 01, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
What about Joe Mixon cold cocking a woman and still getting a big NFL contract?
Holy shit, that' boy's got a fast right.

I hadn't seen the video before. Johnny would have called that an offsetting penalty. Maybe even self defense (she did put his hands on his neck). The league, as we'll see with Hunt, needed to question why he put himself into the situation in the first place, though. He went into the restaurant to confront some people and this was the result.

Well, in fairness, if they hadn't seen the video, it sounds like there was a lot of conflicting information being given by the different parties. I would find it difficult to discipline a player when the whole story wasn't known.

Now, if they did see the video and they did nothing, there deserve to be heads rolling.
Like I said about Mixon, it shouldn't take video of an assault to result in some discipline. If a player gets into a brawl in a hotel at 0300 there's a problem, regardless of whether or not he kicked a girl. At lease if we're going to pretend that the NFL cares about this stuff, really. Seems to me there's a direction of proof issue here. The league looks to prove he did something wrong. Maybe they should be looking to see if he did things right.

edit: Just read up on the Mixon thing and it seems my take was wrong on a variety of levels. He wasn't in the league yet, so that's that. This is mostly a reflection on the Bengals, and insofar as them drafting a scumbag, what else is new.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:11:16 AM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2190 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »
@AdamSchefter
 1h1 hour ago
More
We’ll see whether or not turns out to be right over time, but a text from a former player on the Chiefs and Kareem Hunt: “This type of (stuff) just derails a team. They won’t recover.”

------

And when they don't, it will be all Andy Reid's fault, right, Stadler? :P

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2191 on: December 02, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
To paraphrase a former coach, they'll rally around Spencer Ware, and they'll play good football.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2192 on: December 02, 2018, 09:00:50 AM »
I don't think it tanks them outright, but that three game stretch of Bal, SD, and Sea just got a whole lot tougher. I think the end result will be them losing that number 1 seed. Big winners in this are Houston, which will likely swap places with them, and NE which won't have to play a potential AFC-CG in KC.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: December 02, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Why do I watch the Giants games?  This is a weekend routine of getting kicked in the balls.  What an epic comeback for the Bears.  I'm expecting them to win this in OT now.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2194 on: December 02, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
Why do I watch the Giants games?  This is a weekend routine of getting kicked in the balls.  What an epic comeback for the Bears.  I'm expecting them to win this in OT now.

I can't believe it
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2195 on: December 02, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
Right now the Giants are driving. I think they actually have a shot at the upset.

EDIT: and there it is. Huge win for the Giants, and tremendous loss for the Bears, who are fighting for their division and playoff seeding. They probably just kissed their slim chances at a week off in the playoffs goodbye.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:38:25 PM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2196 on: December 02, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Aaron Rodgers is either hurt or has completely gone F.U. to Mike McCarthy.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2197 on: December 02, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
One thing I will give the Patriots: getting a bad call (or no-call) in their favor is always like an adrenaline shot to them in their home games.  Get away with blatant PI on defense (on the 3rd down play, not 1st), and then go right down the field on offense and get a TD.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2198 on: December 02, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
The refs at this game are letting them play and I'm happy about that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: December 02, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »
And with that, my first bitch.  How was that call not overturned?  He did not get the 1st down.  Even with replay refs blow it.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2200 on: December 02, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »

I’ve also wondered if he’s intentionally tanking to get McCarthy fired. Or that he just doesn’t have it anymore. But I hadn’t thought of him being injured. As many sacks as he’s taken, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I’d also be surprised if McCarthy escapes the week, let alone the season, with his job. Losing at home to AZ just doesn’t look good for him. At all.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2201 on: December 02, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
And with that, my first bitch.  How was that call not overturned?  He did not get the 1st down.  Even with replay refs blow it.
That forward progress thing was nonsense. On the bright side we got to see Bill yell to "shut the fuck up!" at Adam Theilen's silly ass.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2202 on: December 02, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »

I’ve also wondered if he’s intentionally tanking to get McCarthy fired. Or that he just doesn’t have it anymore. But I hadn’t thought of him being injured. As many sacks as he’s taken, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I’d also be surprised if McCarthy escapes the week, let alone the season, with his job. Losing at home to AZ just doesn’t look good for him. At all.

Good call. They fired him!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: December 02, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
That forward progress thing was nonsense. On the bright side we got to see Bill yell to "shut the fuck up!" at Adam Theilen's silly ass.

I was waiting for Bill to use some "Force Lightning" on his ass.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2204 on: December 02, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »

They JUST broke with a game break announcement that McCarthy has been fired.     :eek

EDIT ------buuuuuuttt you knew that already apparently.   :facepalm: :loser:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude