3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 187825 times)

Offline Rattlehead

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Big Easy
« Reply #2100 on: November 21, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »
I still just come back to:  I just don't know that he's good enough to consider, and given the limited upside, I can see how the added drama and downside wouldn't make him very hireable, even in a situation like what Washington has right now. 

As a 49er fan who backed him for a long time, I can definitely see the downside just in terms of performance.  He kind of had everyone fooled that first year because, while his completion percentage wasn't great, his yards per completion stat was pretty good, he didn't throw a lot of interceptions, people didn't know how to deal with his ability to run, and on the passes he did complete, his accuracy was fantastic.  Some of the throws he completed during that almost-comeback in the SB were dead-on in really tight windows.  But then in the following years, you see his completion percentage start to creep down.  And you see his accuracy become more and more sporadic.  And teams were able to figure out the read option and limit what he could do there.  And then, suddenly, you are left with a below-average QB, despite him leading a team to the brink of a SB win his first year and to the NFC championship the following year.  And now he's a below-average QB that brings a lot of baggage.  I'm not saying he shouldn't work.  But I understand why he hasn't, and will understand if that continues to be the case, even where you have a team like Washington that is pretty desperate.  I don't see Kaepernick bringing anything positive to the table that their existing QB pool doesn't bring already.

Your perspective makes a lot of sense, but this is the same league that allowed a guy like Michael Vick to get another chance in the NFL (as someone brought up earlier). I noticed that was dismissed by someone because he did his time, but does that mean he would no longer bring baggage and drama to his team? Fortunately for the NFL, Vick returning didn't affect their ratings - but what Kaepernick started seemed to be a huge factor in the sharp decline in ratings the last two seasons. Obviously Kaepernick was the ringleader of that whole movement, so it makes sense to me that the NFL owners would not want him back in the NFL to protect their ratings. There is evidence that the NFL ratings are rebounding this year, which could have to do with how kneeling on the field during the anthem is no longer allowed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2101 on: November 22, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
I hope I'm not being labelled as a "Kaepernick follower" because I agree that there is collusion against him being signed and did mention this "false narrative" of him being blackballed by the NFL before. Would you mind sharing your evidence that makes you so confident that this is a "false narrative"? I just googled "does Kaepernick still want to play football" and the top story was an article from Mike Florio (posted on 11/18), which states the following:

"According to a source with direct knowledge of Kaepernick’s mindset and ongoing physical activities and preparation, Kaepernick wants to play. He continues to work out five hours per day, six days per week for one reason and one reason alone. He wants to play."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/source-colin-kaepernick-wants-to-play/

Maybe this is just more ammunition to keep the "false narrative" going  :rollin

Someone has direct knowledge of Kaepernick's mindset?  Is it Mel Gibson?  Oh wait, he can only read women's minds... :lol :lol

Joking aside, I don't put much stock into Flurio's comments because a) he screams and yells about everything related to this like he is being personally affected by Kaepernick not playing, removing any objectivity he might have once had, and b) that kind of "source" could be planting such info to media folks to get it out there and reinforce the "Kaepernick still wants to play" narrative, when almost nothing the man himself has said and done in the last two years has indicated that he actually wants to play.  He has no problem cashing a big check to appear in a Nike commercial, but does he ever talk about football anymore?  Shoot, even numerous sports talking heads on his side have said repeatedly that they wish Kaepernick would get out there and talk about football and wanting to play instead of having his feelers leak things to the media; it feels disingenuous.

As for proving the narrative is false, I think the burden is on those pushing the narrative to prove it is correct.  Where is the proof that he is being blackballed? 

This is a very real possibility. I just think it's jumping to the negative conclusion rather than the positive one, which is easy to do when we don't like somebody. You see it in the PR subforum all the time. "Well, obviously this is what she really meant." I don't know if it's the case or not, but I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, which is that he does want to prove himself and his girlfriend is just a dumb, racist cunt.

Kaepernick has given me no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2102 on: November 22, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
You make a good point Kev, it wouldn't shock me if that report was fabricated for his political agenda. I guess the fan in me wants to believe that there has to be something going on behind the scenes when a league that is starving for talented quarterbacks has no place for Colin Kaepernick. We've seen potential playoff teams trot out Brock Osweiler and Blaine Gabbert under center. I get it that they don't bring the baggage that Kaepernick would, but it's hard to believe that no one would be willing to give him a chance (like Philly did with Vick in 2009), unless there was some kind of collusion going on. How does Mark Sanchez have a job again and Nathan Peterman (!!!) got to work out for the Lions not long after being released by the Bills, yet no one is interested at all in giving Kaepernick another shot?  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2103 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
All of those guys were signed as backups and for chicken scratch (in NFL monetary terms).  You generally want your backup QB to be cheap and not have any baggage/drama.  Colin Kaepernick does not fit either of those descriptions.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: November 23, 2018, 06:25:34 AM »
I'll give some kudos to daBears for beating the Lions without Trubisky, doing so on the road, and doing so after playing Sunday night.  Another instance of the NFL schedule makers having their heads up their axe.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2105 on: November 23, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2106 on: November 24, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Thinking that tomorrow afternoon will be a tough game for the Steelers in Denver. Denver is tough for any visiting team, and advanced analytics show Denver is much better than people realize. The running game and D is legit and Keenum is solid. Yes Pitt is 15-1-1 in the last 17 road games but some of that is just randomness due to small sample size and unsustainable. I’m hoping that the talent on O will make enough plays to squeak out a 24-20 win but won’t be at all shocked if they lose.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2107 on: November 24, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
It's back! Have fun.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Going through the games on this, I noticed that the Giants still have a shot at winning their division. It’s not likely that this will happen, but should the Giants go on a run and win five of their remaining six games, the Cowboys and Redskins lose at least four games, and the Eagles lose at least three games, the Giants get in the playoffs as an 8-8 NFC East champion. It speaks to how bad that division is when a team that currently has three wins has a clear, if not improbable, path to a home playoff game.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2108 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »
This is what Who Dat fever was looking like in the New Orleans suburbs Thursday night during the Falcons beatdown. This town is absolutely electric right now. WHO DAT!!!

https://www.facebook.com/lynn.daja/videos/1897217390333098/
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2109 on: November 25, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Shawn Hochuli's crew really sucks. If they want to call a penalty on every play then so be it. They're missing some penalties that actually do matter, though. I've seen several late hits that didn't get called.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2110 on: November 25, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
Lol Steeler TE is such a pussy he let a safety blow him up for a fumble on that sure TD. 10 points off the board so far  :facepalm:. Exactly how you lose.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2111 on: November 25, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »
My goodness what a game. 4 turnovers and a blocked punt, should be up by 17.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2112 on: November 25, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
That's a hell of a win for the Broncos, I hope you're as excited as I am right now, Kev! I have a ton of respect for Roethlisberger as a QB and was expecting him to tie the game up at the end. The Steelers are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs...

After these last 2 wins for the Broncos, I think Vance Joseph has earned another year with this team, as much as it may anger some fans. You have to give a lot of credit to this Broncos team for playing so hard against great teams (KC, LA Rams, LA Chargers, PIT). Also, as much criticism as Elway has gotten lately (which he mostly deserves), he also deserves recognition for hitting a home run on undrafted FA Phillip Lindsay. The playoffs may be out of reach for the Broncos, but I feel pretty good about the future of this team right now after a rough start to the season.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: November 25, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
Denver's schedule was an absolute gauntlet thus far. It gets a lot easier from here on out. I can see them finishing very strong and interjecting themselves into the Wild Card hunt.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2114 on: November 25, 2018, 06:04:49 PM »
I love those blue Broncos helmets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2115 on: November 25, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
That's a hell of a win for the Broncos, I hope you're as excited as I am right now, Kev! 

It was an exciting win, but, not to be a spoil sport, it still feels like too little, too late.

After these last 2 wins for the Broncos, I think Vance Joseph has earned another year with this team, as much as it may anger some fans.

That is what grosses me out.  They did the last same thing last year, winning a few games late after they were all but out of it, making Elway think Joseph was good enough to bring back. 

You have to give a lot of credit to this Broncos team for playing so hard against great teams (KC, LA Rams, LA Chargers, PIT). 

Eh, they are supposed to play hard; that is their job.

Also, as much criticism as Elway has gotten lately (which he mostly deserves), he also deserves recognition for hitting a home run on undrafted FA Phillip Lindsay. 

For sure. Lindsay looks great, and I can't wait till the Broncos have a coach with enough of a clue to give him more carries AND utilize him in the passing game.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2116 on: November 25, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
That Broncos win earned me a free lunch!

If our offensive line could actually block, I'd have some hope for the future.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2117 on: November 25, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »
So on another site I saw a description of Denver’s game plan: allow almost 500 yards passing and hope for freakish turnovers at the best possible time, and it worked to perfection.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2118 on: November 25, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
I don't follow the NFL like I used to, so I don't really know many of the players, but who is this Jalen Ramsey asshole? Every single article I've ever seen written about him is him running his mouth. Is this guy a pro football player or is he headed to the Royal Rumble?

Anyway, Seahawks win. Didn't watch. A little surprised they are still in the hunt, and with 3 easy wins coming up have a good shot at a wildcard depending on how the rest of the NFC mid-card does.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2119 on: November 25, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
So on another site I saw a description of Denver’s game plan: allow almost 500 yards passing and hope for freakish turnovers at the best possible time, and it worked to perfection.

Was that site a bitter Steelers fan blog?  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2120 on: November 25, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »

Anyway, Seahawks win. Didn't watch. A little surprised they are still in the hunt, and with 3 easy wins coming up have a good shot at a wildcard depending on how the rest of the NFC mid-card does.

I don't know about those easy wins. We have the tendency to screw it up last minute with stupid penalty calls, or dumb coaching decisions. I hope so though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2121 on: November 25, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
I don't follow the NFL like I used to, so I don't really know many of the players, but who is this Jalen Ramsey asshole? Every single article I've ever seen written about him is him running his mouth. Is this guy a pro football player or is he headed to the Royal Rumble?
A good CB for a 3-8 team who's not smart enough to understand that the only people who don't want him to STFU are the coaches of the teams he plays against.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2122 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
I actually thought the Giants had a shot.  I didn't watch the game -  family shit - but how in god's name does Saquon Barkley touch the ball only four times in the ENTIRE SECOND HALF in what was for the most part a one-score game? 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2123 on: November 26, 2018, 10:57:16 AM »
I actually thought the Giants had a shot.  I didn't watch the game -  family shit - but how in god's name does Saquon Barkley touch the ball only four times in the ENTIRE SECOND HALF in what was for the most part a one-score game?

There must be something in the air in East Rutherford. I expect this from my Jets, but I’m genuinely surprised out how dysfunctional the Giants have been these past few years.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2124 on: November 26, 2018, 02:10:03 PM »
It's back! Have fun.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

As much as I love messing with it, it's far too early.  There are just too many games left and too many potential scenarios.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2125 on: November 26, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »

:lol :lol

I get why the Steelers throw it a lot, given their talent, but given Ben's tendency to throw bad picks (and the two he threw yesterday was god-awful), throwing the ball 50+ times is gonna result in turnovers. 

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2126 on: November 26, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »
Yeah, I meant no disrespect to Dream Team, but the two interceptions were flat out bad throws/decisions by Roethlisberger. The fumble by Grimble was due to a crushing hit made by Will Parks (best play of his career to this point, really) and Conner's fumble was just a reckless and inexperienced play. Pittsburgh is obviously the better team, but Denver deserves some credit for coming out on top yesterday.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2127 on: November 26, 2018, 06:19:10 PM »
The Giants can still, mathematically, win the division!  :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2128 on: November 26, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »

I get why the Steelers throw it a lot, given their talent, but given Ben's tendency to throw bad picks (and the two he threw yesterday was god-awful), throwing the ball 50+ times is gonna result in turnovers.

Ben’s style is high-risk/high-reward and wins most of the time. If everything else goes wrong, it loses. Simple as that. Same with Favre. It’s usually entertaining to watch at least (Cowherd likens the team to a roller-coaster).

Edit: that TD to Schuster is one of the 5 greatest throws I’ve ever seen.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2129 on: November 26, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »
 :D

:D Actually it was neutral analytics site where people realized that blind fumble luck bounced Denver’s way. Anyway, I’m over it - I said before the game that their torrid road winning pace was unsustainable.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2130 on: November 27, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »

All the turnovers (picks and fumbles) killed the Steelers. That's for sure.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2131 on: November 27, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »

Too bad they don't have Einstein on their team.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: November 27, 2018, 11:08:37 AM »

Too bad they don't have Einstein on their team.  :rollin

:lol and wow that was a hard second half to watch last weekend.  I thought for a bit when up 19-3 that maybe something did click with this team and they can turn it around and while making the playoffs would be really tough, to at least make a nice run and show some improvement.... then they revert to what they've been like all season and blow another close game.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2133 on: November 27, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
I was actually routing for NY in that game.  Knocking Philly down another notch would've been perfect.  Too bad the defense just couldn't hold up.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #2134 on: November 27, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
Pre-Week 13 Power Rankings
1. Saints - to to bottom, the best team by a pretty good margin right now
2. Rams - did the fix the defense over the bye week?
3. Chiefs - can they hang on to the 1 seed?
4. Steelers - tough loss, which could cost them a bye
5. Patriots - easy division will probably get them a bye yet again
6. Chargers - tough luck playing in the same division as the Chiefs
7. Texans - DeSean Watson is a difference maker
8. Bears - winning a divisional road game with their backup QB was impressive
9. Colts - on a roll and appear on their way to grabbing a wild card
10. Cowboys - finally getting it together, but can they slow down the Saints?

Trending up:
Seahawks - huge road win
Broncos - have an outside shot at a playoff berth now
Browns - Baker Mayfield and Nick Chubb both looking like great picks now
Bills - Josh Allen looks like he could be a good one
Ravens - two easy games for Lamar Jackson, but what will happen when he faces a real team?

Trending down:
Redskins - not like Alex Smith is elite, but they are missing him
Panthers - went from looking like they'd coast to the playoffs to now having to fight like hell just to make it
Packers - Aaron Rodgers is not blameless, but Mike McCarthy is showing what a fraud he is
Titans - back down to earth after surprising wins over Dallas and NE
Dolphins - predictable stumble after that surprising start

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Drew Brees - barring a setback, will finally win one
2. Patrick Mahomes - crazy to think that he might break the TD record and not be the MVP
3. Jared Goff - it's a QB league and I think the Rams would suffer much more if they lost Goff rather than Gurley
4. Andrew Luck - most years he'd be the frontrunner if he got this team to the playoffs
5. Philip Rivers - continuing to have a fantastic season