3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 187771 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Greatest Show on Surf
« Reply #1645 on: October 08, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
Not happy at all as a Pats fan.  This defense is not what helps wins championships.   That's what it's all about with only a few years left with Brady.

Call me spoiled but I'm a driven fan. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »
Congratulations to Drew Brees...and what a TD to get it on

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1647 on: October 08, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
Just for fun, my synopsis of what should be the current emotional state of the fan bases of the 32 NFL Teams:

HAPPY/CONTENT - Eagles, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks - all with recent Lombardis and currently competitive teams except for Denver. Seattle fans obviously feel they let one slip away.

I almost thought you forgot the Broncos because I wasn't looking for them in the HAPPY/CONTENT group  :lol You'd think the sky is falling with this spoiled fan base if you read Broncos blogs/forums. I'm pretty disgusted with this team too after the loss to the Jets (and I happened to be at that game as well  :facepalm:), but I'm still proud to be a Denver fan for obvious reasons.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1648 on: October 09, 2018, 07:14:42 AM »
Just for fun, my synopsis of what should be the current emotional state of the fan bases of the 32 NFL Teams:

HAPPY/CONTENT - Eagles, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks - all with recent Lombardis and currently competitive teams except for Denver. Seattle fans obviously feel they let one slip away.
HOPEFUL - Rams - "we won after the 1999 season and our current team is a powerhouse"
CONCERNED - Giants, Ravens - "yeah, we've won within the last 7 years with our current QBs but they've pretty much sucked since then and we haven't done squat"
ANGSTY - Colts, Saints, Bucs - Won or played in SB within the last 10 - 15 years but further chances have proven to be very elusive
VERY GRUMPY - Steelers, Packers - proud legacy franchises with Lombardis within the last 10 years but currently wasting generational offensive weapons due to inept defense and poor coaching
ANGRY - Niners, Panthers, Titans - 4 total chances between the 3 teams since 2000 but fell short, 3 of the 4 being very close losses. Niners mollified a little by their history of success
PANICKY - Cowboys, Redskins - last SB wins were when mullets were still a thing and no one had heard of the World Wide Web, and not looking great in '18
STARVED - Texans, Jaguars - young franchises with several recent playoff ousters competing in the same division
IRATE - Dolphins, Raiders, Bears - last Lombardis pre-date (in order) Star Wars or Master of Puppets. Chances this year slim to none for all except the Bears
DOOM & DESPAIR - Chargers, Falcons, Bengals, Cardinals - total 5 shots at the crown but A. got blown out B. choked C. Got Montana'ed and Roethlisberger'ed
ON THE LEDGE - Lions, Browns, Jets, Chiefs, Vikings, Bills - SB wins 50 years ago, records for SB losses, or never have even sniffed the big one. Chiefs & Vikings looking to change the script this year.

Good post  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: October 09, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
It's amazing how bad the NFC East is.

One of our vendors at work is hosting a big tailgate and taking my team to the game on Thursday (I work 15 minutes from the stadium).  I feel so broken by the way this past game played out on Sunday, but somehow if the Giants win on Thursday against my most hated team in the NFL (Eagles) then they are really right in the mix for the division still.  I have no expectations of this happening, but I feel a bit better about my team's chances at 1-4 than I possible could imagine any other season.  If they lose as I expect, then it's time to look towards the draft. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: October 09, 2018, 07:33:48 AM »

One of our vendors at work is hosting a big tailgate and taking my team to the game on Thursday (I work 15 minutes from the stadium).  I feel so broken by the way this past game played out on Sunday, but somehow if the Giants win on Thursday against my most hated team in the NFL (Eagles) then they are really right in the mix for the division still.  I have no expectations of this happening, but I feel a bit better about my team's chances at 1-4 than I possible could imagine any other season.  If they lose as I expect, then it's time to look towards the draft. 

The division is very much up for grabs. A loss is a loss, but damn the Giants just had a moral victory that they may be able to build upon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: October 09, 2018, 08:10:02 AM »

The division is very much up for grabs. A loss is a loss, but damn the Giants just had a moral victory that they may be able to build upon.

That's my best hope, that they figured things out and finally scored 30 points in a game.  Maybe they can rally on the fact they played fairly well and were able to come back and still fought till the last second/inch.  But I don't know, I think the OL is improved without Flowers, but not good enough to make this team a winner.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1652 on: October 09, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Any of the horrible NFC East teams should be glad the other 3 teams lost too.   :lol :lol :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #1653 on: October 09, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »
Pre-Week 6 Power Rankings
1. Rams - imagine this team once the defense gets healthy
2. Chiefs - gritty win over a tough Jags team
3. Saints - Drew Brees is greatness personified
4. Ravens - tough letdown loss after winning at Pittsburgh
5. Jags - Bortles has one or two of those games a year and it's not surprising that one would happen in bad weather
6. Patriots - I suspect they will be top 5 very soon
7. Panthers - the 63-yard FG bailed them out, but it's surprising to see the defense collapse like that
8. Bengals - big test this week at home against the Steelers
9. Bears - can they keep it up over the course of the season?
10. Chargers - finally looked like the team many expected to see this season

Trending up:
Texans - I don't buy their head coach, but two wins after an 0-3 start is notable
Browns - giving their fans a heart attack on a weekly basis!
Cardinals - they won a game!
Bills - they won a second game!
Vikings - defense finally looked legit

Trending down:
Broncos - fire the coach and cut the QB now!!
Eagles - I predicted a Super Bowl hangover, but they are a bigger mess than I thought they'd be
Dolphins - the predictable slide has begun
Falcons - some thought they'd be a SB contender; instead they are a mess
Cowboys - tough loss and even the owner is not happy with the coach

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1654 on: October 09, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
Good one Kev.  LOL Cards!  :hefdaddy  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1655 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
I will say this: it is nearly impossible for any athlete in today's current social media world to be universally liked, but Drew Brees is the closest thing. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1656 on: October 09, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
I will say this: it is nearly impossible for any athlete in today's current social media world to be universally liked, but Drew Brees is the closest thing.

I think not participating in social media is probably the key (or at least one of the keys).  I don't know the extent to which Brees has a social media presence, but I'd guess it's pretty minimal.  I suppose he's now a former athlete, but is there anyone with anything against a guy like Joe Thomas?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1657 on: October 09, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »

No doubt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: October 11, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
Well that first half was pretty awesome!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1659 on: October 11, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
This just goes to show how dumb the Giants were for taking a RB 2nd overall when they could have taken their QB of the future. Eli is awful now, and while Barkley is awesome, he had over 150 yards from scrimmage in the first half and they were still down 24-6. Having a good QB is way more important than having a great RB.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
Absolutely. Barkley is a stud.....but I can't think of a top tier running back winning a super bowl since.......maybe T.D.

If they had Darnold, Rosen or Allen graded high.....they we're most likely better off grabbing a QB.

Edit... I guess I forgot about Faulk, who won one right after Davis.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1661 on: October 11, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »
A top level RB makes the entire O much better. With Eli it's not enough, but if they draft a QB next year he'll be far better off with SB in the backfield.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1662 on: October 12, 2018, 05:54:07 AM »
Wow Eli is getting destroyed on ESPN’s NFL home page. He had a QBR of 3.2 last night  :rollin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:17:50 AM by Dream Team »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1663 on: October 12, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »
One of these is not like the others . . .

Scott Kacsmar

@FO_ScottKacsmar
 Highest 3rd down conversion rate on throws since 2001
1. Ben Roethlisberger 46.6%
2. Peyton Manning 46.4%
3. Matt Ryan 45.6%
4. Drew Brees 45.6%
5. Jameis Winston 45.5%
6. Aaron Rodgers 45.5%
7. Tony Romo 45.1%
8. Philip Rivers 45.0%
9. Tom Brady 44.0%@fbgchase

2:36 PM - May 17, 2018
470 people are talking about this

Color me impressed Winston.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: October 12, 2018, 08:05:32 AM »
A top level RB makes the entire O much better. With Eli it's not enough, but if they draft a QB next year he'll be far better off with SB in the backfield.

Agreed, plus Eli is just battered and mentally ruined from this OL.  He is done.  Too old to recover IMO. They look like maybe the worst team in the NFL right now.  I can't believe after last weekend they lost on a 63 yard field goal and last night our kicked was short from 52.  Unbelievable. 

Giants will get a QB need to continue to improve the OL for next year.  Maybe trade Odell if possible too.  Get him off the cap and let him ruin another team's locker room.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1665 on: October 12, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
I didn't watch the game (family drama) but if it's the OL that is decimating Eli, then having a rookie out of college isn't going to help either.  That just makes the Gints the Robert Griffin-led Redskins at that point.   If a vet like Eli can't make something happen playing behind a screen door, then it will be the rare rookie that does (even with fresher legs).   The last thing the Giants need is a  Cam Newton; that doesn't solve the problem it just masks it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: October 12, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »
I didn't watch the game (family drama) but if it's the OL that is decimating Eli, then having a rookie out of college isn't going to help either.  That just makes the Gints the Robert Griffin-led Redskins at that point.   If a vet like Eli can't make something happen playing behind a screen door, then it will be the rare rookie that does (even with fresher legs).   The last thing the Giants need is a  Cam Newton; that doesn't solve the problem it just masks it.

OL has been an issue the last few years and I thought they'd be much better with signing Nate Solder, and they seem to be a bit better since they released their top pick Eric Flowers who was a huge bust, but they still are really really bad at pass protection.  A more mobile QB would definitely do better with this OL, but might also end up playing too skidish over time if he took a beating similar to what Eli has been taking.  Eli has been doing more roll outs and screens to help with the OL being so poor, but you can't win by throwing horizontal all game.  It's amazing Barkley is able to run so well behind this line as well, but he did that at PSU who had a terrible OL too, which is why I thought he would actually be solid here because he can handle it when the OL can't. 

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1667 on: October 12, 2018, 02:27:09 PM »
I"m a Giants fan and I've always defended Eli and felt that he was still capable of being very successful if he has a competent O line, but I've come the realization that apparently I've been very wrong.  Granted no QB would be incredibly successful behind their line, but Eli looks skittish again.  He really looks scared back there and he is trying to get rid of the ball as fast as he can and on the rare opportunity that he can get the ball downfield and has enough time, he has been VERY inaccurate and missing his receivers badly. 

Other observations are that this team is very undisciplined and selfish.  I am done with Beckham.  If the Giants lose 58-14, but he had 130 yards receiving with two TD catches, he'd be thrilled.  He could care less about winning and he made that very apparent when instead of being happy for Barkley when he scored a long TD, Beckham is headbutting and punching a fan like the complete moron he is.  There have been a lot of selfish players in the NFL, but this guy might be the worst of them all.  It's really hard to cheer for a guy like him.  I really wish they could trade him, but I know it's too late for that.  On top of that you have the other moron Jenkins celebrating and posing after he broke up a pass on 3rd down (which was the first 3rd down the Giants stopped the Eagles on as they had been 10 for 10 prior to that).  So they’re getting their ass kicked and this guy is celebrating after making one stop.  Totally selfish.

The ONLY bright spot on this team is Barkley who is incredible and seems like he actually has a good head on his shoulders unlike the rest of these fools.  Just totally disheartened by this team. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:15:15 PM by DT2003 »

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1668 on: October 12, 2018, 02:36:29 PM »

There is not any pro athlete that I have more respect for that Drew Brees.  The guy is a total class act and it's great to see that someone like him is so universally popular. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: October 12, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »
Couldn't agree more DT2003

I've also been a big Eli supporter.  I think he would be OK behind a decent line, but he appears to be damaged goods now and I don't think it's worth it to work on a repair solution with someone of his age.  He will take the fall for this team, which is sad because he's been pretty much a good person and great for this team through his career while Odell acts like an idiot. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1670 on: October 12, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
I’m so sick of Antonio Brown that I would gladly take OBJ for him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1671 on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
I'll take non-diva WR's like Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins, both of whom are still in their prime, over both of them.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1672 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
I'll take non-diva WR's like Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins, both of whom are still in their prime, over both of them.

Well yeah.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1673 on: October 14, 2018, 05:12:23 AM »
The Titans-Ravens game should be interesting today after both teams lost last week. A lot depends on the Titans passing game. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1674 on: October 14, 2018, 06:18:05 AM »
With Pittsburgh playing in Cincy this week and in anticipation of more “Road Ben” memes, I looked up won-loss records for road games at Football Database. Stunningly, Roethlisberger is tied with Brees with the 4th most road wins since the 1970 merger including playoffs. Regular season he’s 62-39 on the road. Then I discovered the following QBs had losing records on the road: Favre 73-76, Elway 53-59, Aikman 38-42, Esiason 30-55. Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young are 2 games over .500 on the road. Most QBs have losing road records. I feel a lot better now.

Offline max_security

« Reply #1675 on: October 14, 2018, 07:04:13 AM »
The Titans-Ravens game should be interesting today after both teams lost last week. A lot depends on the Titans passing game.

And both teams lost games they should have won ( Bills - Browns ). I'm sure both teams are ready to go sure to be a tough game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1676 on: October 14, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »
With Pittsburgh playing in Cincy this week and in anticipation of more “Road Ben” memes, I looked up won-loss records for road games at Football Database. Stunningly, Roethlisberger is tied with Brees with the 4th most road wins since the 1970 merger including playoffs. Regular season he’s 62-39 on the road. Then I discovered the following QBs had losing records on the road: Favre 73-76, Elway 53-59, Aikman 38-42, Esiason 30-55. Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young are 2 games over .500 on the road. Most QBs have losing road records. I feel a lot better now.

I think the Steelers will win today, largely because I don't trust the Bengals to beat them, but the Road Ben memes are more than fair once you look at his splits in recent years.

Since the start of 2014,

Home: 82 touchdown passes, 26 interceptions
Road: 40 touchdown passes, 32 interceptions

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1677 on: October 14, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
My god...that Dolphins fumble must be the saddest thing yo happen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1678 on: October 14, 2018, 02:30:51 PM »
Sadder than the missed FG in response? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1679 on: October 14, 2018, 02:39:08 PM »
Sadder than the missed FG in response?

Haha that was epic. The entire ending was epic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD