3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188545 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Greatest Show on Surf
« Reply #1610 on: October 05, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
It's fitting that Brady's 500th touchdown pass was a) a play where he had 8 minutes to throw, and b) a lucky as hell heave into double coverage that both DBs played wrong.  Talk about having the life, being that good and that lucky. :lol :lol
You should watch it again and see it from Gordon's perspective, rather than the guys that didn't make the play. I don't give a damn about Brady's 500th TD. I care a great deal that Gordon knew where he was supposed to be, acquired the ball in the air, saw where the defenders were, and made an excellent adjustment to split the two guys. What you described as luck and poor coverage looked like an excellent read and adjustment to me. Until that it was a pick waiting to happen. Gordon seems to be a total dumbass at real life, but he apparently has a pretty good noggin for football, and I'm encouraged by what I saw.

Definitely a great adjustment by Gordon.  That said, if either defender is looking for the ball instead of focusing on Gordon, they probably make a play on the ball pretty easily. 

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1611 on: October 06, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
I'm disappointed in myself. On my fourth pour of Knob Creek and successfully made a pun on the other sports threads but can't fuggin figure out one for the Packers  :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1612 on: October 06, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
I'm disappointed in myself. On my fourth pour of Knob Creek and successfully made a pun on the other sports threads but can't fuggin figure out one for the Packers  :facepalm:

I was going to say, after seeing the last two, that you didn't do it again! It was my CHIEF concern.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1613 on: October 06, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »

I was going to say, after seeing the last two, that you didn't do it again! It was my CHIEF concern.  ;D

Ah, you benched me! I aint going to Canton. Might as well PACK my bags and go

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1614 on: October 06, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »

How would you get there?

Drive a JAG?
Board a JET?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1615 on: October 06, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »

How would you get there?

Drive a JAG?
Board a JET?

Ride on a DOLPHIN like a muthafuggin wizard

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1616 on: October 06, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »

How would you get there?

Drive a JAG?
Board a JET?

These bad puns are a GIANT fail. 

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1617 on: October 07, 2018, 12:39:06 AM »

How would you get there?

Drive a JAG?
Board a JET?

These bad puns are a GIANT fail.

BEAR with us

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: October 07, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »
Giant fail? Sounds about right. Watching this team is taking years off my life.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1619 on: October 07, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »
Well everything WAS going well, Bengals were down 17-0 and Ravens were losing late, but of course lol Dolphins and Browns  :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1620 on: October 07, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
The refs still don't like the Browns.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: October 07, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
Refs don't like the Giants either, wow can't believe that game... and 63 fucking yards?! Guy is money.  >:(

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: October 07, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »
Gano with an incredible game winning kick

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1623 on: October 07, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »

Yeah that guy can hit a 60yarder... but Mason Crosby couldnt hit a freakin 30yarder AT ALL today  >:(

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1624 on: October 07, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »
Oh I love McVay’s guts there. That’s winning football in the modern NFL, none of that gutless conservative garbage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1625 on: October 07, 2018, 06:32:21 PM »
Oh I love McVay’s guts there. That’s winning football in the modern NFL, none of that gutless conservative garbage.

I was just about to post this.  I love it when coaches coach with balls and to win, instead of being nutless and scared to lose.  Same thing with Pederson going for 2 at 20-12 (which is statistically the correct play there), although they still lost.

Oh, and Vance Joseph is the worst coach the Broncos have ever had.  You give up over 300 rushing yards to the Jets??  He was given a killer defense and turned it into trash.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1626 on: October 07, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »
You think he's still "having the time of his life"?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1627 on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »
Do we say this every year? I think so, but it sure seems like a wacky first 5 weeks. Literally anybody could beat anybody. The BROWNS could easily be 5-0.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1628 on: October 07, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
Refs don't like the Giants either, wow can't believe that game... and 63 fucking yards?! Guy is money.  >:(
Giants have been killed by bad penalties. The horse collar penalty (that was clearly not a horse collar) on I believe it was Jenkins last week was crap and the unnecessary roughness call on Collins today was absurd and had a huge impact in this game. Heartbreaking loss to take the lead and then lose on a 63 yard field goal. Have to give credit to Gano though. That kick probably would had 5 yards to spare.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1629 on: October 07, 2018, 09:05:10 PM »
It's funny that Jason Garrett and Bill O'Brien are offensive coaches.  I watch both of their offenses and marvel at the utter lack of imagination when it comes to play-calling on both sides.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1630 on: October 07, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
It's funny that Jason Garrett and Bill O'Brien are offensive coaches.  I watch both of their offenses and marvel at the utter lack of imagination when it comes to play-calling on both sides.
Why would you put that on Garrett? Linehan calls all of the plays, and we all know Garrett has no control over that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: October 08, 2018, 12:08:11 AM »
Do we say this every year? I think so, but it sure seems like a wacky first 5 weeks. Literally anybody could beat anybody. The BROWNS could easily be 5-0.

Certainly could, and should, have beaten the Saints (I was at the game... crushing) and the Raiders. But we'll happily take 2-2-1 today. First happy Monday in a while :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1632 on: October 08, 2018, 06:28:42 AM »
Why would you put that on Garrett? Linehan calls all of the plays, and we all know Garrett has no control over that.

Because Garrett is the head coach and is considered an offensive guy, so his hand prints are (or at least should be) all over the offense, especially since this is what the offense has looked like in Dallas for years (just less talented pass catchers now).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1633 on: October 08, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »

Because Garrett is the head coach and is considered an offensive guy, so his hand prints are (or at least should be) all over the offense, especially since this is what the offense has looked like in Dallas for years (just less talented pass catchers now).

This is a team owned by Jerry Jones.  "Should be" hasn't been a legit thing since March 28, 1994.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1634 on: October 08, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »

This is a team owned by Jerry Jones.  "Should be" hasn't been a legit thing since March 28, 1994.

QFT
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1635 on: October 08, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
Yeah, Garrett is number 3 on the list when it comes to who to blame for offensive playcalling. Now, deciding to punt in OT is entirely on him, and Jerry seems bent out of shape about it, how they got there is on Linehan.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1636 on: October 08, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
JG is the head coach.  It's on him and it's also on JJ for keeping him in that job for far too long.  Ultimately, it's always JJ's fault cause he's the owner and GM.  JG is nothing but another one of JJ's good ole boys.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1637 on: October 08, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
It's a 3 headed monster that has different %'s of the blame pie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1638 on: October 08, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
Yeah, but it's JJ's pie and it's usually all over his face.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1639 on: October 08, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1640 on: October 08, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Just for fun, my synopsis of what should be the current emotional state of the fan bases of the 32 NFL Teams:

HAPPY/CONTENT - Eagles, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks - all with recent Lombardis and currently competitive teams except for Denver. Seattle fans obviously feel they let one slip away.
HOPEFUL - Rams - "we won after the 1999 season and our current team is a powerhouse"
CONCERNED - Giants, Ravens - "yeah, we've won within the last 7 years with our current QBs but they've pretty much sucked since then and we haven't done squat"
ANGSTY - Colts, Saints, Bucs - Won or played in SB within the last 10 - 15 years but further chances have proven to be very elusive
VERY GRUMPY - Steelers, Packers - proud legacy franchises with Lombardis within the last 10 years but currently wasting generational offensive weapons due to inept defense and poor coaching
ANGRY - Niners, Panthers, Titans - 4 total chances between the 3 teams since 2000 but fell short, 3 of the 4 being very close losses. Niners mollified a little by their history of success
PANICKY - Cowboys, Redskins - last SB wins were when mullets were still a thing and no one had heard of the World Wide Web, and not looking great in '18
STARVED - Texans, Jaguars - young franchises with several recent playoff ousters competing in the same division
IRATE - Dolphins, Raiders, Bears - last Lombardis pre-date (in order) Star Wars or Master of Puppets. Chances this year slim to none for all except the Bears
DOOM & DESPAIR - Chargers, Falcons, Bengals, Cardinals - total 5 shots at the crown but A. got blown out B. choked C. Got Montana'ed and Roethlisberger'ed
ON THE LEDGE - Lions, Browns, Jets, Chiefs, Vikings, Bills - SB wins 50 years ago, records for SB losses, or never have even sniffed the big one. Chiefs & Vikings looking to change the script this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1641 on: October 08, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol That is brilliant!  Well done. :tup :tup

As for Garrett, yes, Jerry Jones is way too much of a hands-on owner, but you can't tell me that the head coach doesn't get to put his hand prints all over the team, especially when it comes to strategy and system, and the Cowboys just look like a team with zero offensive imagination, and I put that on the head coach. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1642 on: October 08, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
:lol :lol :lol That is brilliant!  Well done. :tup :tup

As for Garrett, yes, Jerry Jones is way too much of a hands-on owner, but you can't tell me that the head coach doesn't get to put his hand prints all over the team, especially when it comes to strategy and system, and the Cowboys just look like a team with zero offensive imagination, and I put that on the head coach.
Yeah, as a life-long Dallasite I do get to tell you that. Garrett's role is to keep the players motivated and to decide when to call timeouts. Parcells gets to rework the team. Garrett gets to do what he's told.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1643 on: October 08, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »
Just for fun, my synopsis of what should be the current emotional state of the fan bases of the 32 NFL Teams:

HAPPY/CONTENT - Eagles, Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks - all with recent Lombardis and currently competitive teams except for Denver. Seattle fans obviously feel they let one slip away.

To suggest that Broncos fans should be "happy/content" just because the team won Super Bowl 50 (>2 1/2 years ago) strikes me as rather naive.  Since winning the Super Bowl, the Broncos have been massive underachievers.  Despite having a formidable defense, the team missed the playoffs the past two seasons and seems well on the its way to missing the playoffs again.

Keep in mind that, since first making the playoffs after the 1977 season (the Super Bowl 12 loss), the Broncos have only had two streaks in which the team missed the playoffs for three or more years:  1980-82 and 2006-10.  The Broncos' fan base is neither accustomed to nor tolerant of extended periods of mediocrity.

I would say "concerned," "very grumpy" and/or "panicky" best describes the Broncos fan base.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1644 on: October 08, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
True, but with three Super Bowl wins in the last 20 seasons, it is hard to be too bummed, although the current state of the team is bad. I looked at the schedule earlier today and it looks brutal, so my hope is they finish like 4-12, which will doom their doofus coach and hopefully Keenum.  Props to Elway for the work he did prior to the last few years, but he clearly has no eye for QB talent (Osweiler, P Lynch and now this).  It might be time to move on from him as well.  Next year's draft is supposed to be good for QB's, and there aren't many teams who will be needing one in the 1st round, so the Broncos could have their pick near the top!