3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 188538 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Greatest Show on Surf
« Reply #1575 on: September 30, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
He probably didn't expect Luck to throw that 4th down pass into the dirt.  Still a dubious decision, although I get going for the win instead of punting and hoping for a tie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: September 30, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
 :lol

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24852699/earl-thomas-seattle-seahawks-carted-off

Coach Pete Carroll said this week that the Seahawks and Thomas are in a "good place" and that he wasn't concerned about any more drama with Thomas.

Thomas, who held out all offseason in protest of his contract situation, appeared to give the middle finger in the direction of Seattle's sideline as he was being taken into the locker room on a cart.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1577 on: September 30, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
The NFL officials just went in dry against the Browns.  I legitimately feel bad for Browns fans, who literally just had a game stolen from them by the officials incompetence.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1578 on: September 30, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »
The NFL officials just went in dry against the Browns.  I legitimately feel bad for Browns fans, who literally just had a game stolen from them by the officials incompetence.
Yeah, that was pretty ugly. Two terrible calls that really changed the game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1579 on: September 30, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty ugly. Two terrible calls that really changed the game.

Absolutely indefensible. How is the league going to defend this? Had to get Gruden his first win I guess.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1580 on: October 01, 2018, 05:21:30 AM »
The Titans are now winning games they would have lost in past seasons.  If they can keep Mariotta on the field, the may end up being a good team.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1581 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
Titans bowling TD celebration!  :lol
https://youtu.be/u2fXUigfif4
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: October 01, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »
It is crazy how close the Browns were to starting 4-0. Crazy season. Crazy refs in that Oakl/Cle game.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: October 01, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
After such a great start, Alex Collins fumble that could have made it 21-3 made for an excruciating night of dreadful memories of past failures for the Ravens at Heinz Field.  I know that the Steelers don't have Bell, but holding them to only 47 yards in the 2nd half was quite unexpected.  It's always a good day when 'Little Brother' beats Pittsburgh.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:05:52 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1584 on: October 01, 2018, 11:46:04 AM »
Yup, Ravens D is legit, number 1 in the league again. Pitt had won the last 3, Ravens were due anyway. Pitt probably finishes 3rd or 4th in the division this year as the Browns look much improved.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1585 on: October 02, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
This just in...The Dallas Cowboys are changing their name to the Dallas Ezekiel Elliot's.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1586 on: October 02, 2018, 05:54:33 PM »
Mahomes is one scary dude to face.  He finally faced a real NFL defense and didn't light it up like he did the first three weeks, but when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, he found a way to make plays and get them the win.  What impresses me the most about him is when the play breaks down and he is flushed out of the pocket, rather than run like many young QBs with his wheels would do, his first instinct is still to pass.  And he should only get better.  Yowza.

Meanwhile, my boys are stuck with shitty ass Case Keenum. :censored :censored

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #1587 on: October 02, 2018, 06:11:12 PM »
Pre-Week 5 Power Rankings
1. Rams - Goff has evolved into an elite QB
2. Chiefs - Mahomes might be the first QB since Kurt Warner to be the MVP in his first full season as a starter
3. Ravens - not sure how I didn't have them ranked last week, but that was an impressive beatdown in Pittsburgh
4. Saints - if their defense can get it together like last year, they will be the clear number 2 team in the NFC
5. Jags - defense is still awesome and Bortles is getting better
6. Patriots - deep down, didn't we all know they'd get better in a hurry?
7. Panthers - one of those mystery teams that will not get talked about and then end up with 11 wins
8. Bengals - fast starts are now new to this team, but they have a lot of weapons on offense, and should get Joe Mixon back soon
9. Bears - an Aaron Rodgers epic comeback away from being 4-0
10. Titans - not sure how they are doing it, but back to back wins at Jacksonville and then against Philly is really impressive

Trending up:
Seahawks - a team with Russell Wilson at QB will never stay down for long
Packers - not sure what to make of this team and the struggles on offense
Redskins - can they keep their good start going post-bye week?
Cowboys - up and down so far, but trending up after a good win over a game Lions team
Raiders - a cheap win, thanks to an awful overturn, but after an 0-3 start, they will take it

Trending down:
Broncos - upside severely limited due to a mediocre QB and still shaky-at-times o-line
Bucs - predictable plummet after a hot start
Falcons - what happened to their defense??
Vikings - what happened to their defense????
Jets - remember when they appeared to be a team on the rise after that week 1 win?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: October 02, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
Trending up:

Maybe, but their 2012-2014 peak run was built on 1) defense, 2) the running game, and 3) team unity. Guess what three things the 2018 Seahawks don't have.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1589 on: October 02, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
Trending up:

Maybe, but their 2012-2014 peak run was built on 1) defense, 2) the running game, and 3) team unity. Guess what three things the 2018 Seahawks don't have.

Okay, but I don't think anyone is expecting them to return to that peak form this year.  But when you have an elite QB like Wilson, you always have a chance to be a playoff team.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: October 02, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
Very few people in Seattle feel this is a playoff team.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1591 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:18 PM »
But they have a chance, especially with projected playoff teams like the Falcons, Vikings and Eagles all struggling. 

I am not saying they will make the playoffs, but they have a chance.  Having that elite QB gives them that chance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1592 on: October 03, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
So apparently the final number for Crowell's end zone celebration fine is in.  ...and to balance the scales, he received a sponsorship from Dude Wipes.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1593 on: October 03, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
So apparently the final number for Crowell's end zone celebration fine is in.  ...and to balance the scales, he received a sponsorship from Dude Wipes.  :lol

Yeah I saw that yesterday and got a chuckle. I wonder if that'll get him in any hot water with the coach.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: October 03, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »
Sucks when disrespectful behavior gets rewarded. Ah well, such is life.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1595 on: October 03, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »

You don't watch the news much, do you?  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: October 03, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »

You don't watch the news much, do you?  :) :) :) :) :)

Hence the such is life! I've grown accustomed to the concept unfortunately.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1597 on: October 03, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
Impressed by Suggs' paying ultimate respect . . . used to hate that guy but can't anymore. Edit: couldn't get the photos to copy because I'm a tech moron

“I’ve been a part of this rivalry for 16 years. That team has raised my level of play. Even rivals can show respect. The player I am is because of the Pittsburgh Steelers.” — Terrell Suggs.

Terrell Suggs posted a photo of his autographed Roethlisberger jersey on Instagram. The inscription from Ben reads:

“Sizzle, It’s an honor to compete against you! First ballot HOF!”

Offline max_security

« Reply #1598 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
Yeah the Pittsburgh / Baltimore rivalry is not what it used to be for a few years now. Both teams each face bigger problems , mostly from within for each I would guess. I will say that there are very few that could take the hits that Ben R. has throughout his career just on Ravens games alone. Stillers need another Hines Ward to stir the pot !!! 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1599 on: October 03, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Ben is just showing him some love, but Suggs a first ballot Hall of Famer?  Let's be serious.  He's a borderline guy at best.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1600 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:41 PM »
He's had a very long career by NFL standards, and I believe that he's 2nd in sacks for active players. Not too shabby. Might not make it in the first year that he's eligible, but I'm fairly certain that he won't have to wait too long.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1601 on: October 04, 2018, 02:53:44 AM »
^
He was credited with 1.5 sacks vs. Denver two weeks ago.  He could have had three others, but was held and Denver was flagged on them.  Don't be surprised if he does make it in on the first ballot.  If he isn't, he's there by year 2.

Some background for this rivalry.  When I moved here in 2000, I was amazed at the amount of Steelers jerseys  I would see around here.  I knew of the 'geographical bits' in Michigan.   In the western part of the Lower Peninsula, there were tons of Bears fans.  Throughout the Upper Peninsula, there were tons of Packers and Vikings fans (oh, and, other than Barry Sanders, the Lions sucked). 

This area did not have a team for a dozen years and a total break of anything to do with the Irsays and Indy other than memories of the better times for two decades up to the late 70s, so people had to adopt a team.  The DC Potatoes got jammed down peoples' throats, (there was never much of fondness to begin with), so many chose Pittsburgh.  I totally get it.  It makes sense.  And it makes it 'special', much like your favorite college rivalry.

Moving on:  so many 'hate' Ben, and they really hated Hines Ward.  I mean, they totally despised him.  "He's dirty this, he's a cheap shot that".  When asked if they would want to have Hines on the Ravens team, they'd say "Well, uh..., hell, yeah!" :D

There was some good stuff to read and listen to during the past week here.  My favorite was a quote of Suggs from a few years back, after a Ravens win where he had three sacks.

"Ben's soul may belong to God, but his ass belongs to me."
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1602 on: October 04, 2018, 06:29:46 AM »
Didn't Hines Ward win some poll to that effect?  It was either that, or some coach said that.   Something to the effect of "he's the most hated guy in the league, but also the guy you most wanted on YOUR team". 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1603 on: October 04, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »
Didn't Hines Ward win some poll to that effect?  It was either that, or some coach said that.   Something to the effect of "he's the most hated guy in the league, but also the guy you most wanted on YOUR team".

He probably did, that sounds about right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1604 on: October 04, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
I don't like the Ravens, and I don't like Suggs, but I agree that he's easily an HOF'er ("first ballot" or otherwise has no meaning to me, and it's really all about who else is eligible when he becomes eligible).

And yes, Hines Ward was the the Claude Lemieux/Sean Avery of the NFL (except he wasn't nearly as big of a douche as either of those guys).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1605 on: October 04, 2018, 10:58:10 AM »
I don't like the Ravens, and I don't like Suggs, but I agree that he's easily an HOF'er ("first ballot" or otherwise has no meaning to me, and it's really all about who else is eligible when he becomes eligible).

And yes, Hines Ward was the the Claude Lemieux/Sean Avery of the NFL (except he wasn't nearly as big of a douche as either of those guys).

Oh believe me, Hines is a pretty big douche  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1606 on: October 04, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
Regarding Suggs, yes, he has had a long career, but despite the fact that (roughly) 4-6 outside linebackers make the team every year, he has been All-Pro only twice (1st team once, 2nd team once).  I have a hard time calling you a Hall of Famer if you have that long of a career and are only one of the best at your position in two of those seasons.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1607 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
It's fitting that Brady's 500th touchdown pass was a) a play where he had 8 minutes to throw, and b) a lucky as hell heave into double coverage that both DBs played wrong.  Talk about having the life, being that good and that lucky. :lol :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1608 on: October 05, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »
Ah shucks!  I missed the golden boy again.  I consider it a lost opportunity.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1609 on: October 05, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
It's fitting that Brady's 500th touchdown pass was a) a play where he had 8 minutes to throw, and b) a lucky as hell heave into double coverage that both DBs played wrong.  Talk about having the life, being that good and that lucky. :lol :lol
You should watch it again and see it from Gordon's perspective, rather than the guys that didn't make the play. I don't give a damn about Brady's 500th TD. I care a great deal that Gordon knew where he was supposed to be, acquired the ball in the air, saw where the defenders were, and made an excellent adjustment to split the two guys. What you described as luck and poor coverage looked like an excellent read and adjustment to me. Until that it was a pick waiting to happen. Gordon seems to be a total dumbass at real life, but he apparently has a pretty good noggin for football, and I'm encouraged by what I saw.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson