3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 186591 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - PRESEASON
« Reply #1190 on: August 18, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
Trucks packed up for the tailgate!  Off we go!  Word on the street is all of our starters will be sitting this game like the first game.  I have mixed feelings about that.  While I surely understand the logic, especially after the rash of injuries yesterday and through out the preseason, there's a balance.  If the starters come out sluggish in game one.... guess the gamble doesn't pay off.  Oh well.. In McVay we trust!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: August 18, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
Vikings suffered a rash of injuries tonight. I can see it now: they fall back this year and everyone will blame Kirk Cousins.  They were really lucky last year in staying mostly healthy in their run to the NFCCG, and it is already looking like they won't be so lucky this year.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: August 19, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
You right Kev.   It seems that the teams that make the deepest post season runs are usually ones that are relatively healthy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1193 on: August 20, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »
You know you're a jaded fan when your team losing a preseason game bothers you. :P

Well, it's a tough position to be in.   The Pats demolished the Eagles the other night; my daughter and her friend (both Pats fans) were all hopped up, and I remember saying that "guys... it's preseason!" but believing - deeply - that Belichick would have played Brady into the third quarter if it meant not losing that game.  That didn't need to happen, but still.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1194 on: August 20, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »
Well, you're not alone Sam.  Being a Cowboys fan isn't much better.  I was watching their 1st pre-season game at the Niners.  Boys led the entire game up until 18 secs remaining.  Lost by 3.  Same stupid shit.  Different year.

If no one got injured, it was a win.

I don't care if the Broncos never win a preseason game, as long as no one gets injured.

I saw some people commenting on Facebook about how the Broncos had their 3rd string QB throwing a pass late in the game when they were up by less than a touchdown.  Apparently that led to the Broncos losing the game.  It just baffles me that folks give a rip about who wins or loses.  If you need to see your 3rd string QB throw a pass, then who cares what the situation is?  That's what preseason is for.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1195 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »
You're right.  I get that it's preseason and injury free is a definite plus.  But, when your 2nd and 3rd teams look like crap, you know what that means in the regular season when there are injuries.  Right now, Dallas looks to be as deep as a puddle.  You can't rely on the 1st team the entire year.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1196 on: August 21, 2018, 02:14:42 PM »
Saw this shirt in a store out West.

Not sure if I should  :metal or  :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1197 on: August 21, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
Saw this shirt in a store out West.

Not sure if I should  :metal or  :rollin

I've never seen that logo at the bottom. Are they suggesting that he's a dick?...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1198 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
 :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1199 on: August 26, 2018, 11:53:26 PM »
Are we doing Fantasy Football this year? I know last season we barely got 8 members to play...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: August 27, 2018, 05:27:19 AM »
Are we doing Fantasy Football this year? I know last season we barely got 8 members to play...

I threw a feeler out a few months ago and got zero replies, so I'm not running the one that I ran the past few years.... but if someone wants to throw one together, they can feel free.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52441.msg2439661#msg2439661

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: August 27, 2018, 05:57:03 AM »
Yea you can blame me. I fell out of love of fantasy football. Last year I stopped playing across the board. I think it takes away from my enjoyment of watching my team but more importantly it costs me money that I never caqme close to winning back

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: August 27, 2018, 06:06:30 AM »
Yea you can blame me. I fell out of love of fantasy football. Last year I stopped playing across the board. I think it takes away from my enjoyment of watching my team but more importantly it costs me money that I never caqme close to winning back

LOL, I wouldn't blame any one person. But I do understand where you're coming from.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: August 27, 2018, 06:18:49 AM »
  I was playing upwards of 6 leagues a year, plus Pick'Ems.  When the Rams  decided to come back to LA I stopped all FF and bought season tickets!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1204 on: August 27, 2018, 06:53:50 AM »
I'm down to do another league this year, but it looks like it's too late at this point... I was looking at my team last year from our league and somehow I lucked into having Bell, Gurley, Hopkins and Ingram on the same team  :rollin If only it was a money league...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1205 on: August 27, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »
As always, I'd be down for a money league where everyone participates in the draft, but a free league where some do auto-draft doesn't interest me in the least. 

Tomorrow night is our local live auction. $240 a man this year!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: August 28, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
Not sure how to feel about the OBJ deal.  On one hand, he's maybe the most electric player to watch and he really is a great player, on the other hand, his head can't be trusted to be in the right spot and he hasn't done anything positive in a full year.  I don't really understand how his behavior and coming off injury make him deserving of 65 million guaranteed, but also, not having a contract, for a player who you know will get the money somewere else, continue to play out during the season would have been an extra cloud over the head of the Giants.  I guess for now, I can just be happy he is expected to be good to go for this Season and the future here.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1207 on: August 28, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
You know you're a jaded fan when your team losing a preseason game bothers you. :P

Well, it isn't that simple.  I may be jaded but that's only because Dallas hasn't done jack shit in 22 seasons.  Everyone knows that preseason doesn't mean anything significant as far as wins and losses.  It's not so much the loss, but the way it was lost.  Teams with good 2nd and 3rd string players in the preseason is a pretty good look at how the regular season might go.  It doesn't look good because Dallas is a very poorly coached team and has been for a long time.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1208 on: August 29, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
I was surprised that Dallas didn't even play their starters on offense last week given that they have a lot of new pieces on offense and need time playing together to gel.  Given what a wild card their entire receiving corps (WRs and TEs) is, I honestly have no idea what to expect out of their passing offense this season.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1209 on: August 30, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
Looks like Mike Tomlin thinks it's necessary to carry 4 Quarterbacks on a 53-man roster.  :facepalm: Can't wait until we run out of d-linemen or linebackers during a game because of this decision.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1210 on: August 30, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
Looks like Mike Tomlin thinks it's necessary to carry 4 Quarterbacks on a 53-man roster.  :facepalm: Can't wait until we run out of d-linemen or linebackers during a game because of this decision.

I anticipate a trade involving Josh, or Landry at some point.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: August 30, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »

Surely not all 4 are active on game day. He's not that dumb, is he?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1212 on: August 30, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »

Surely not all 4 are active on game day. He's not that dumb, is he?

Hah, he might be.

I'd assume Josh Dobbs would go - there's no need to keep him. Jones is a good number 2 because he knows the playbook, and they think Mason is the future.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1213 on: August 31, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
I was surprised that Dallas didn't even play their starters on offense last week given that they have a lot of new pieces on offense and need time playing together to gel.  Given what a wild card their entire receiving corps (WRs and TEs) is, I honestly have no idea what to expect out of their passing offense this season.

They're trying to keep the starters injury free because their 2nd and 3rd teams suck.  I wonder how long they think that'll last.  It's gonna be another long ass year.  :facepalm:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread
« Reply #1214 on: August 31, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
What's that sound??  It's the sound of the other NFC West OC's scratching their heads pondering the question "Who do we double team?  Donald...or Suh?"

Pay the man!!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24534350/los-angeles-rams-agree-record-deal-aaron-donald

A team that made great strides last year sure didn't rest on their luarals this off season...

*Resign best defensive player
*Resign best offensive player
*Bring in a top 10 wr
*Bring in 2 starting corners
*Bring in a top 5 DT
*Draft lb and ol depth

No matter how the season pans out, IMO, the Rams FO has pulled off one of the best Off Seasons of the FA era.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:24:22 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1215 on: August 31, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »
Donald is a beast and earned that contract, but will the Rams have the fire to win big this year?  A lot of teams play their best when they have something to prove, and the Rams two best players just got paid big money.  Time will tell...

I know they won't be my Super Bowl pick from the NFC this year.

Neither will the Eagles.  I think the Eagles are waaaaay too happy with themselves after winning it last year and are going to come back to earth a bit.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: August 31, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
It all looks great on paper.  Like you say, will the fire and drive be there?  And the chemistry?  Time will tell.  But the Front Office deserves a standing ovation for what they've done.  And unlike the talking heads who are saying we went all in for "This year", that is incorrect.  We are now set with our core player for a solid 3-5 yr run.

I'm with you Kev in that the NFC is just too tough to pick.  You have 5-7 real contenders.  Who wants it bad enough?  Who stays healthy?  Again, time will tell!!  Should be an awesome season.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: September 01, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
Mack to the Bears. Their TREMENDOUS off-season continues.

Edit...seems that Chicago is giving up two 1st round picks for Mack. Not as big of a slam dunk as I initially thought.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:17:32 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1218 on: September 01, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »
I'm so glad Mack is out of Denver's division  :lol I'm also going out to Denver to see the Broncos play the Raiders in week 2, so our chances of winning that game just went up a lot too.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: September 01, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
I'm glad he didn't go to the Whiners  :biggrin:

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1220 on: September 01, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
The Steelers release Landry Jones. I'm surprised they didn't try to make a trade.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1221 on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:44 AM »
My brother and I have talked for a month how Jerrick McKinnon would be the fantasy bust of the year based on his ADP (which was late 2nd round a few weeks ago). Who knew we would be right this quickly?

49ers still have Alfred Morris and Matt Breida, the latter of whom is underrated, so I think they'll be fine at RB.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1222 on: September 02, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
The Steelers release Landry Jones. I'm surprised they didn't try to make a trade.

You know what’s awesome about that? His spot is being taken by Mason Rudolph, who will be Ben’s successor and who they got in the 3rd round after the Raiders traded them the pick for Martavis Bryant, a born loser facing an indefinite suspension  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: September 03, 2018, 04:08:05 AM »
2018 predictions

Offensive ROTY : Saquon Barkley
Defensive ROTY : Bradley Chubb
Comeback POTY : JJ Watt (So many great choices this year)
Coach OTY : Sean McVay
Offensive POY : DeShaun Watson
Defensive  POY : CalaIs Campbell
MVP : Todd Gurley

AFC EAST
1. New England Patriots
2. New York Jets
3. Miami Dolphins
4. Buffalo Bills

AFC NORTH
1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Baltimore Ravens
3. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Cleveland Browns

AFC SOUTH
1. Houston Texans
2. Jacksonville Jaguars (WC)
3. Tennessee Titans
4. Indianapolis Colts

AFC WEST
1. Kansas City Chiefs
2. Los Angeles Chargers (WC)
3. Denver Broncos
4. Oakland Raiders

NFC EAST
1. Philadelphia Eagles
2. New York Giants (WC)
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. Washington Redskins

NFC NORTH
1. Minnesota Vikings
2. Chicago Bears
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Detroit Lions

NFC South
1. New Orleans Saints
2. Atlanta Falcons (WC)
3. Carolina Panthers
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
1. Los Angeles Rams
2. Seattle Seahawks
3. San Francisco 49ers
4. Arizona Cardinals

Wild Card Round
6. Los Angeles Chargers vs. 3. Kansas City Chiefs
5. Jacksonville Jaguars vs. 4. Pittsburgh Steelers

6. New York Giants vs. 3. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Atlanta Falcons vs. 4. New Orleans Saints

Divisional Round
4. Pittsburgh Steelers vs. 1. New England Patriots
3. Kansas City Chiefs vs. 2. Houston Texans
4. New Orleans Saints vs. 1. L.A. Rams
3. Philadelphia Eagles vs. 2. Minnesota Vikings

Conference Championship Games
2. Minnesota Vikings vs. 1. L.A. Rams
2. Houston Texans vs. 1. New England Patriots

Super Bowl LIII
New England Patriots vs. L.A. Rams

The team that the Rams have assembled could be one of the all time great teams. The NFC has a lot of contenders, but I see the Rams emerging to win it all. In the AFC I think that a healthy Houston will be a force to be reckoned with, but I have to give New England the benefit of the doubt.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1224 on: September 03, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »
I can't pick the Rams to make it that far yet.  Yes, they have a lot of talent, but their two best players, among others, just got paid a ton of money, and I have to wonder how hungry they will be.  Plus, considering how flat they looked in that playoff game last January, I need to see their young coach win a playoff game first before I am a true believer.  The history of sports is loaded with coaches who made big splashes in their first year and then came back down to earth. 

That said, I agree with your exact order for the NFC East (I agree that the Giants will be a playoff team), NFC West, AFC East and AFC North.

I think GB will win the NFC North if Rodgers doesn't get hurt again.  The Vikings won't be as lucky with injuries this year as they were last year.

The AFC South is tough, but I have a hard time picking Carolina 3rd.  And do I really trust a Sean Payton team to have a good defense two years in a row??

I think the Chargers win the AFC West, unless, of course, bad luck with kickers strikes them again.

Not sure about a SB Pick yet.