Author Topic: STRYPER: Michael Sweet said he is 95% suspicious of having cancer.  (Read 24094 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: STRYPER to release GOD DAMN EVIL April 20th, 2018
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 04:51:19 AM »
I don't even know this band but I'm going to listen to the chorus of this new song now because of all these comments.

edit: Well, I actually though that was alright. :lol
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:06:48 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 05:50:08 AM »
Im certainly not going to pass judgement until we hear the whole album.

The problem for me is that now I don't want to listen to the whole album. And it's not just because of this particular song, I don't like modern Stryper that much.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »
 :rollin

Had to check out that chorus. Hilarious. Michael has always had an amazing voice. Soldiers Under Command was a priceless album. I love that they exist and do what they do. They're like a cross between The Life Of Brian and Spinal Tap.  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »
Im certainly not going to pass judgement until we hear the whole album.

The problem for me is that now I don't want to listen to the whole album. And it's not just because of this particular song, I don't like modern Stryper that much.

B.Lee

I'm guessing that won't change with this album then.

I don't even know this band but I'm going to listen to the chorus of this new song now because of all these comments.

edit: Well, I actually though that was alright. :lol

I'm coming around to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »
Wolf, I thought of you when I heard this new Stryper tune and figured you would have loved it upon first listen.  Nice to see you are coming around to it.  I enjoyed it first listen and like it more and more each time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Wolf, I thought of you when I heard this new Stryper tune and figured you would have loved it upon first listen.  Nice to see you are coming around to it.  I enjoyed it first listen and like it more and more each time.

Yeah, I think just how disjointed it seems put me off.  It still seems a bit thrown together and the chorus just doesn't seem to fit with everything else but yeah, I'm kind of liking the heavier approach.  I actually hope it continues throughout the whole album.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 07:32:54 AM »
I still plan on checking out the whole album and maybe the song will grow on me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
Got questions for Michael Sweet? LOTSOFMUZIK will be interviewing him next week

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »

I'm kind of liking the heavier approach.  I actually hope it continues throughout the whole album.

You won’t be disappointed on the heavier approach, even the ballad it’s heavy, I am loving this album, more and more with each listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »
Got questions for Michael Sweet? LOTSOFMUZIK will be interviewing him next week

The reasonings and influence on the heavier style on the new album?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »

I'm kind of liking the heavier approach.  I actually hope it continues throughout the whole album.

You won’t be disappointed on the heavier approach, even the ballad it’s heavy, I am loving this album, more and more with each listen.

Looking forward to it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »

Looking forward to it.

I'm...not sure whether I am looking forward to it or not.  It depends on the type of "heavy" and how it is executed.  I didn't care for the type of "heavy" on the first song.  It doesn't suit them and sounded silly to me.  But we'll see.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
Yeah, haven't gone back to the new song, but I don't mind when bands try something a bit different.  Hopefully it will pay off.

Online ronnibran

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
Looking forward to the new release. In general I don’t listen to Stryper a lot but am more of a fan of Michael Sweet solo stuff. But the new Stryper song.... It’s literally my favorite song by either. I have listened to it countless times and have preordered God Damn Evil.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:28 PM »
if you guys don’t like the first song you have 10 others with the characteristic Stryper sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
if you guys don’t like the first song you have 10 others with the characteristic Stryper sound.

Are you saying the new song is a bit of a false representation of the album?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 12:46:02 PM »
It’s the only song with growls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
I don't really care too much about that.  I just want to know if it is the only song that sounds awful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
It’s the only song with growls

That's a bit of a shame, although the growls on that song are laughable, if they were going to do something like this, I kind of wished they went a bit further with it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »
I don't really care too much about that.  I just want to know if it is the only song that sounds awful.

What do you mean with Awful? The production? The chorus?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:01 AM »
New video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWWzDl_xrw

Eh, this is damn ordinary on first listen.  I'll take the Cross song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 06:11:01 AM »
Just okay but I appreciate the apology after the first track.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
New video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWWzDl_xrw

Eh, this is damn ordinary on first listen.  I'll take the Cross song.

I actually like it much better than the other one.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »
Sweet IMO needs to alter what keys and such he writes in.  The register he's singing in these days can come across monotone and screechy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
I thought the last three releases going back to Murder By Pride (not including the covers album) all had well-written vocal melodies that really let Michael shine.  But I'm not caring for what I am hearing from him thus far on this one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
I thought the last three releases going back to Murder By Pride (not including the covers album) all had well-written vocal melodies that really let Michael shine.  But I'm not caring for what I am hearing from him thus far on this one.

I thought that too don't get me wrong.  I think I started that with his last solo album I believe, and am hearing the same here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »
I haven't heard any of his recent solo stuff.  But I know the stuff I heard in the '90s didn't do it for me.  It was just sung too clean.  I have always admired his range, but there is something about the timbre of his voice that could be very hit and miss for me, and the solo work highlighted the things that definitely fell into the "miss" category.  The last three albums, even though he still sang high in his range and had a lot of soaring parts, there was just enough grit that I thought most of it sounded really good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
I haven't heard any of his recent solo stuff.  But I know the stuff I heard in the '90s didn't do it for me.  It was just sung too clean.  I have always admired his range, but there is something about the timbre of his voice that could be very hit and miss for me, and the solo work highlighted the things that definitely fell into the "miss" category.  The last three albums, even though he still sang high in his range and had a lot of soaring parts, there was just enough grit that I thought most of it sounded really good.

I would agree with this.  I think perhaps that's the word I was looking for, timbre.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
You know, listening to some live songs, and the new track, Sorry (I was searching some live videos for a response to something in another thread, and YouTube kept playing Stryper, so I rolled with it for awhile), I have to say that these guys are easily now one of my present favorites from the '80s scene. 

Their studio output in the last decade has been a bit hit and miss.  But there have been at least a few really solid songs on every release.  And from seeing them a few years back and seeing a lot of YouTube clips (and their most recent live album), they continue to put on a really solid live show.  I just have to express appreciation for this band.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
Not a fan and don't really have much to comment on, but I saw that Walmart and the dominant Christian retailer are both refusing to carry the album because of the title. That's a damn shame. Partly because it completely misses the point, but mostly because I think it's a great title. I thought that as soon as I saw it in this thread. It can be seen both as a prayer request, as a lamentation, and as a description of the current state of things.

Also, while I like the cover, I'm pretty sure that's Poseidon.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
I mean if the title was named "God Damned Evil" would it be a little more "tasteful" in the Christian markets?

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:33 PM »
I don't personally take issue with the title. However, I do see why some are upset, and it is blatantly obvious Stryper were looking to stir the pot.

Michael claims the title is asking God to damn evil. However, structurally, if they really meant that, the title would read:

God, Damn Evil

>>>They know that. But the took out the comma anyway, KNOWING it would cause a firestorm, and attract attention. It's all a bit...juvenile, honestly.

Again, I don't have a problem with the title myself. But lets call it what it is - Stryper knowingly doing something to blatantly stir the pot and get more people talking about them. And you know what? It worked. Their sales aren't going to suffer because of Walmart and the Christian outlets refusing to sell it. All people have to do is order it on Amazon, and everyone knows that. And oh, by the way, Michael has gushed about just how high up the pre-sale chart the new record is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
Anyone else order on Amazon, and get the "sorry, it is delayed and won't arrive 'til Wednesday" email?

>:(

May have to cancel and go pick up at my local place. I prefer that anyway (generally), but had other plans today, which was why I did Amazon. And yes, I have Prime -- still delayed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »
Anyone else order on Amazon, and get the "sorry, it is delayed and won't arrive 'til Wednesday" email?

>:(

May have to cancel and go pick up at my local place. I prefer that anyway (generally), but had other plans today, which was why I did Amazon. And yes, I have Prime -- still delayed.

yes I received same email and was not given any kind of timeline of when i can expect it.

Online ronnibran

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2018, 01:03:28 PM »
The title track is amazing!