Author Topic: Sixteen Years Of Inner Turbulence  (Read 6490 times)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
Re: Sixteen Years Of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
Yeah the end of that song always made me think they were purposely trying to make our girlfriends not go to their shows  :facepalm:

Blind Faith is awesome, love the bass intro, Solitary Shell is another gem.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 11:04:45 PM »
While I like the guitar solo, Blind Faith keeps this from being a perfect album. In fact, it's bad enough in my book to drag the entire album down a notch. It's a shame there wasn't something better in that slot, which could have certainly been nothing at all.

Wwwwwwwwwwwwhat?????????????

But it's the best track on the album  :blush
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 05:13:07 AM »
While I like the guitar solo, Blind Faith keeps this from being a perfect album. In fact, it's bad enough in my book to drag the entire album down a notch. It's a shame there wasn't something better in that slot, which could have certainly been nothing at all.

I honestly think that the second disc is what drags SDOIT down. It's not bad but compared to the first disc it's pretty mediocre.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 07:40:02 AM »
Top 5 DT album for me. Probably my favorite sounding DT Record and I love MP's performance. Probably my favorite MP drumming album. I love the second disk minus the overture. How can you not like Solitary Shell?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
Haven't listened to SDOIT in ages, should really do something about that!

It is a top.4 DT album for me. I have never decided on a favorite out of I&W, Awake, SFAM or SDOIT. They are all monumental records!

There is very little i dislike on Inner Turbulence. Blind Faith is also my favorite. Solitary Shell is also brilliant!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »

I honestly think that the second disc is what makes SDOIT great. It's not bad but compared to the first disc it's completely awesome.

ftfy
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 01:37:41 AM »
I have to wonder how long the OP waited to be able to use this thread title. "Alright! Just two more years. . ."

It didn't even come into my head until literally minutes before I started the thread.

(Although technically, come to think of it, the answer to this question is 16 years.  ;))

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 01:59:58 AM »
I too never paid attention to it only until it was pointed out, I thought it was a random title as any for the anniversary, didn't realize the assonance  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 06:58:06 AM »

I remember Mike Portnoy being asked what songs would have been cut if they were forced to make this a single disc album.  He didn't hesitate in saying Blind Faith and (I think) Disappear.  Not saying that I necessarily agree with him but I think melodically it's quite weak, it's not a great catchy chorus.  It has loads of cool instrumental things in it though that I really enjoy so I do like the song.  Not a fan of Disappear at all or large parts of the title track.  Used to absolutely love The Great Debate but it's faded a little for me over the years, probably started when I heard it live and it didn't work at all.

Upper middle-tier album for me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 07:20:07 AM »
Indeed he said that he spent a couple of nights awake contemplating a worst case scenario where the album had to be a single disc, and he mentioned Disappear and Blind Faith as the first ones to go, and that wasn't enough anyway.

I thought the solution was obvious. Cut the ending of Misunderstood  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »
I remember Mike Portnoy being asked what songs would have been cut if they were forced to make this a single disc album.  He didn't hesitate in saying Blind Faith and (I think) Disappear. Not saying that I necessarily agree with him but I think melodically it's quite weak, it's not a great catchy chorus.  It has loads of cool instrumental things in it though that I really enjoy so I do like the song.  Not a fan of Disappear at all or large parts of the title track.  Used to absolutely love The Great Debate but it's faded a little for me over the years, probably started when I heard it live and it didn't work at all.

Upper middle-tier album for me.

Wow, I'm glad that didn't happen. Over time Blind Faith has become one of my favorite DT songs.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:30 AM »
I remember Mike Portnoy being asked what songs would have been cut if they were forced to make this a single disc album.  He didn't hesitate in saying Blind Faith and (I think) Disappear.

What does that say about Portnoy's opinion of LaBrie's lyric-writing?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
I remember Mike Portnoy being asked what songs would have been cut if they were forced to make this a single disc album.  He didn't hesitate in saying Blind Faith and (I think) Disappear.

What does that say about Portnoy's opinion of LaBrie's lyric-writing?

Well, nothing really. When you have to cut songs, do you cut the kickass opener? do you go for the mellow song that would balance the album? do you go for the other heavy song that needs once again to balance it all? no, you go for the most experimental song first, and then out of the remaining four Blind Faith must have looked the most expendable one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2018, 09:55:49 AM »
Man, an album with the tracklist:

The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

would quite possibly rank at the bottom 2-3 DT albums for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
Disappear makes me choke up... beautiful lyrics, great music... one of DT's best ballads for sure. "And I'll carry on the best that I can, without you here beside me" makes me cry
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
Nothing can top SFAM for me (yet), but SDOIT will always be my 2nd favorite :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »
Indeed he said that he spent a couple of nights awake contemplating a worst case scenario where the album had to be a single disc, and he mentioned Disappear and Blind Faith as the first ones to go, and that wasn't enough anyway.

I thought the solution was obvious. Cut the ending of Misunderstood  ;D

Cutting Blind Faith and leaving The Great Debate would have been criminal!

A track list of:

1. The Glass Prison
2. Blind Faith
3. Misunderstood (with a truncated ending)
4. Title Track

Would have made it a FLAWLESS album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »

Are there any versions of this floating around? I would love to hear an edited version of that song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2018, 09:14:51 PM »
Wait, so the end of Misunderstood needs to be truncated/edited, but that fadeout at the end of Losing Time/Grand Finale doesn't?  Er, okay.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:05 AM »
Wait, so the end of Misunderstood needs to be truncated/edited, but that fadeout at the end of Losing Time/Grand Finale doesn't?  Er, okay.

I never really thought of it since it's just a fadeout, while Misunderstood goes on weirdly for 3 minutes, but yeah, excellent additional choice to save time.

I wonder if in that worst case scenario Portnoy actually considered this, and how far he went in calculating a single disc tracklist. Does the thought that maybe not every single second of music is essential crossed his mind? if he was in charge of Metallica's Load (which was 1 minute longer than a CD limit) would he have considered trimming the end of The Outlaw Torn (which actually happened) rather than removing another song off the tracklist?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
I'm not sure the band ever thought SERIOUSLY about cutting anything.  I've always taken that comment as just casually addressing the passing thought of "what if?," as in, "what if the album had to be a single disc rather than a double?  Hypothetically speaking, what song would you cut?"  I'm sure that if there had been any real, credible push to cut it to a single disc, even in passing, they would have considered other practical solutions as well, like seeing if they could trim the fadeout on the title song, etc.

Cutting Blind Faith and leaving The Great Debate would have been criminal!

Criminally AWESOME!  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »
Sometimes this album is my favorite of all time, sometimes it's Scenes. To me it's stunning from start to finish and I wouldn't want to give up any of it. Blind Faith is one of their best songs imo and I really hope it makes its way back into a setlist soon.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »
TGP sounds too much like Pantera in certain parts, which was probably intentional but over-done. :flame:
Love the album though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »

I never really thought of it since it's just a fadeout, while Misunderstood goes on weirdly for 3 minutes, but yeah, excellent additional choice to save time.

Back in the day, before I could make mp3 CDs and fit a crap load of songs on to one CD, the single disc of 6DOIT I made for the car:

-shortened the fadeout of Losing Time/Grand Finale to normal length
-eliminated The Great Debate altogether
-shortened the fade in of Blind Faith by like 10 seconds

I managed to get the CD to seconds under 80 minutes by doing that.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
If I could cut SDOIT:

1. Disappear (the melancholy opening)
2. Blind Faith (the upbeat, kickass centerpiece track)
3. The Glass Prison (most of song cut, as an instrumental - LTS-esque)/War Inside my head/The Test that stumped them all (segues into Misunderstood) - All as a suite
4. Misunderstood (the main introspective, experimental ballad)
5. The Great Debate (the climactic epic)

Also the album would be renamed to: Industries of death
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:22:32 PM by Pragmaticcircus »
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »
It's basically tied with Awake as my favorite DT album. I especially love how huge the production sounds, and how they toyed with various production techniques, echoes, reverbs and whatnot. And the nice thing about it is that that experimentalism paid off. A very textured album, but still just enough of DT's trademark wankfests.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

Are there any versions of this floating around? I would love to hear an edited version of that song

There's a radio edit, but it cuts more than just the ending.  It should be readily available, as it was on the "Greatest Hit. . . " collection (as well as being released on the "4 Degrees of Radio Edits" fan club disc).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »

There's a radio edit, but it cuts more than just the ending.

Well, the solution is simple:

- Get the radio edit
- Get the original song
- Develop some rudimental copy and paste skills with an audio editor
- Edit the original song and slap at the end the truncated ending
- Profit

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 08:28:53 AM »

There's a radio edit, but it cuts more than just the ending.

Well, the solution is simple:

- Get the radio edit
- Get the original song
- Develop some rudimental copy and paste skills with an audio editor
- Edit the original song and slap at the end the truncated ending
- Profit

Or...just get the original song and fade the ending early?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »
....yeah, also that  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
:lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
TGP sounds too much like Pantera in certain parts, which was probably intentional but over-done. :flame:
Love the album though..

In MP's video "6 Degrees of Turbulent Drumming" he says that he and JP went to a Slayer concert and as a result were inspired to do something really heavy. Thus we have TGP.

The point was to be thrashy, heavy, but also have a distinct flavor of DT. I think there's more of a Slayer & early Metallica influence than a Pantera influence. MP mentioned in the video that the double bass pattern in the middle of the song was influenced by Vinnie Paul ("Becoming" maybe?).

The final part of the song screams Rush to me ("way off in the distance I saw a door I tried to open" part).

Before 6DOIT I always wondered what it would be like for DT to write a straight up metal song. Then I got 6DOIT on release day. I was pleasantly surprised by TGP.

BTW, can you picture MP & JP at a Slayer concert?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2018, 06:52:07 AM »
I always thought that Mike Portnoy said that the song was written just after he and JP got back from seeing Pantera.  Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
I always thought that Mike Portnoy said that the song was written just after he and JP got back from seeing Pantera.  Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me!

I stand corrected! I re-watched the DVD and it was in fact a PANTERA concert that MP & JP went to see a week before recording sessions began. The first song recorded was The Glass Prison. MP said in the commentary that it was thrashy like Slayer and Megadeth. He mentions Seasons In the Abyss too. I guess I got confused and my memory isn't what it used to be (having not seen the DVD in years).

Anyways, carry on.  :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
Wow. 16 years. I was at the first show at BB Kings in 2002. The new songs then were amazing to hear. What a great gig. 6DoIT has aged well for me. I still think the radio edits of Blind Faith and Misunderstood are better than the album versions, but I really enjoy the album regardless.

My favorites remain The Great Debate, About to Crash/About to Crash (reprise), and The Test That Stumped Them All, but I really enjoy the record, with the possible exception of Disappear and Goodnight Kiss. I wasn't a big fan of how those turned out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com