Author Topic: Sixteen Years Of Inner Turbulence  (Read 6478 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Sixteen Years Of Inner Turbulence
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
January 29th marks 16 years since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was released. Good time for some reflections.

For me, DT have never been more experimental than on Disc 1 of this album, certainly on the last three tracks. Some truly incredible sound worlds they visited there.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Sixteen Years Of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
January 29th marks 16 years since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was released. Good time for some reflections.

For me, DT have never been more experimental than on Disc 1 of this album, certainly on the last three tracks. Some truly incredible sound worlds they visited there.

I can tell Stadler didn't write this post, because I agree with it 100%.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
16 years! It seems like yesterday. My wife and I were engaged at the time and remodeling what would become our first home. I got the CD on the day of the release and blasted it while we worked on putting new cabinets in the kitchen.

After disc 1 was finished she said, "Glad that's over!" as she appreciates the musicianship but isn't into DT.
I responded with "It's a 2 disc release! We've gotta listen to the second disc!"

She wasn't amused. But she was a good sport as she endured the second disc while we continued working.

On a side note, she did go with me to a show during the world tourbulence tour. She was a keeper then. Still is now. Every so often she asks, "When is Dream Theater coming out with a new album?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »
Spectacular album.  I don't know if I could say they have never been "more experimental."  But still, it's just a very solid, very creative album.  My favorite from the band and one of my favorites from anybody.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
The album that got me into DT, can't believe it's been that long. I'll never forget the intro to TGP, so much riffage.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
I remember buying this album. I went to a midnight release at a big record store in St. Louis, and was running back to my car when a cop stopped me.

Because I came running out of a store at midnight in the city with the highest murder rate in the country.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
4/5ths of the first disc is some of my favorite music by any band collected on any one disc. 100% of the second disc is a bore and a drag.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
4/5ths of the first disc is some of my favorite music by any band collected on any one disc. 100% of the second disc is a bore and a drag.

I kind of agree. 

When I first got it, I automatically liked the second disc more.  Since then I can barely stand to listen to it.  I still like About to Crash and Solitary Shell but even those don't do much for me anymore. 

I loved Blind Faith almost immediately and it is still one of my favorite DT songs of all time.  Misunderstood is up there, too.  Glass Prison I think is a bit overrated but only because so many people herald it as this amazing masterpiece and I just think it's incredibly good.  I never could get into Great Debate until I heard they were playing it on the ADTOE tour and all of the sudden it clicked.  I must have listened to that song on repeat dozens of times in the build up to the shows.  Disappear does the job.  I don't particularly "like" it but it's a beautiful song and I'm glad there is something like that to wrap up disc 1.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »

I can tell Stadler didn't write this post, because I agree with it 100%.

That and the fact that there's only TWO commas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
Better than Scenes in my opinion...as a whole since it’s a double disc..to me this was DT with MP at their peak...saw them in Grand Prarie Tx play 6DOIT  live and they were a machine..great songs on disc 1..and an incredible story and song which is disc 2..a rollercoaster of musical prowess

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »
Blind Faith, Misunderstood and The Great Debate are three of my favorite post-2000 DT songs, sooo good!  :hefdaddy
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 01:04:22 AM »
Still not completely sold on how the songs are looooooooong, how the ending of Misunderstood goes on forever and the general vibe of The Great Debate.

All in all, a convincing and daring release, maybe here and there there was some fat that could be trimmed but I consider it a great album, not my personal favorite but a strong and historically important one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:15 AM »
My favorite album all time. Love every damn second of disc 1 and disc 2. Glass Prison got me into DT and even if it took a while to fully appreciate the album it grew over time and finally became the one.

It always stands the test of time for me. Listened to it so many times and I never get bored of any song or moment.

Words that come to mind; creative, progressive, experimental, joy, symphonic, energy, melodic, diverse.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 03:54:03 AM »
My first DT album, first concert in Nov. 2003. First touch, first impression, totally blown away. Start of quit a journey.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 04:02:24 AM »
Hehe found this which I think is both accurate and very funny!  :rollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIcZguNvSQ

The start of Glass Prison is still the most badass thing ever composed!  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:15:31 AM by Pettor »

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 04:26:57 AM »
Waiting soooooooooo long for SFAM to become a reality and then finally getting a killer album out of it, then how would they top that? With almost the perfect release. From the cover to the 2 disc format with unbelievable music throughout that was a totally different approach from the prev. release. IMO, it didn't top SFAM, but will always be 2nd on my chart. :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 06:29:01 AM »
The Glass Prison has one of the best openings in their catalog and is a ridiculously solid rocker from start to finish. Has always been a favorite of mine. In addition I've always loved Misunderstood, The Great Debate, and about 1/3rd of Disappear from the first disc. In general I loved a lot of the things they tried on the album.

As for the second disc, it was always a piece I enjoyed, and having got into the band at the end of the Train of Thought tour I was already on the forums and a heavy fan and had learned that they would never play it again live and was quite sad I had come on late to get that chance. Then Radio City happened and I was able to witness what I would argue is the definitive version of the song, which was amazing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
I remember my dad buying the album and not liking it because it was too heavy. It got passed on to me, who was 11 or 12 at the time. I thought that Misunderstood and Disc Two were the greatest things ever. I would blare them over my dad's speakers while I played video games and ran around our basement. Fun times. :metal

16 years later and I now appreciate all of the other songs on the record, save for possibly The Great Debate. I would rank both Disappear and Misunderstood in my personal top-ten Dream Theater songs. :hefdaddy
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »
One of the best albums ever written by any band, and an album that changed my life. I distinctly recall being 13 and hearing Six Degrees for the first time. Spent a whole summer listening to little else than Dream Theater and that album. Summer vacation, Dream Theater, 6D, all day every day.  :metal

I've long said it's my #1 favorite DT album but realistically, I&W and 6D share the exact same spot, for some of the same reasons, and some different. It's an absolute masterpiece!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
Wow. 16 years already?!

Disc 1 remains as my favorite DT album (tops SFAM and Awake which flip flop depending on the mood that I am).

I'm not a fan of Disc 2 and would rank it in the middle of the pack. I'd rather listen to the RCMH version than the studio version.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
I've been hit by a musical truck twice in my life :
-Discovering DT via scenes, I&W and LTE !
-Listening to six degrees and LTE2

I think DT only, six degrees would be the one I would take on a desert island, it contains what I like in the band.
Blind faith is one of my favorite songs ever and each time goodnight kiss's solo comes I feel like crying, etc... :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »
LOVE this album. When it came out I remember saying it sounds like Sesame Street on ice with the orchestra bit but it quickly grew on me. I remember it had just come out and I did a road trip through Florida with my ex. We drove the whole state and listened to it multiple times so it always reminds me of that. It gives me a nostalgic vibe but it still kicks ass.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
Great album. I used to rank it right behind the big three, but some of the newer ones surpassed it. Still, it probably is the band's most experimental release, which is especially reflected in The Great debate and Disappear, two of their biggest masterpieces. I also love The Glass prison, as well as most of the title track, although I rarely listen to studio version of the latter - the live performance on Score is superbly superior.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
Disc 1 is awesome.  Disc 2 bored the crap out of me when it came out and still does.  Grandiose concept - great.  Listening to lyrics about "random urine testing?"   :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
January 2002:  I had just been admitted to practice law, and my wife and I were expecting our first child (born in May 2002).  I can distinctly recall listing to the album (primarily disc 2) on my commute home (and, for whatever reason, I have a very specific association with driving over the Vincent Thomas and Gerald Desmond Bridges in the Los Angeles Harbor (we lived in Belmont Heights in Long Beach at the time).

I've always preferred disc 2.  What the band put together in that disc was just incredible -- especially when I was expecting a letdown after SFAM.  It took me a long time to get into disc 1.  I finally got into Blind Faith, Glass Prison and Misunderstood shortly before the first Prog Nation tour.  I think it took so long simply because I thought disc 2 was so much better that I never gave disc 1 a fair shake.  However, I still regularly skip Disappear and The Great Debate (the latter of which is probably the worst track ever to appear on a DT album).

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I missed DT on this tour.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2002/palavobis-milan-italy-63d6d2cf.html

I didn't, that was my show. What a way to spend Valentine Day!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
I found the orchestra-only Overture on Score to be incredibly underwhelming. It needs the KICK and the EDGE of pure ROCK music! The studio version is best.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »
Blind Faith is my favorite, hands down best song on the entire album  :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
Still not completely sold on how the songs are looooooooong,

Well it is the very album with a 40 minute song................
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
A lot of fond memories of that album and tour. Still a top 3 Dream Theater album for me. Disappear is probably the only song on that album I'm not totally into.

Scored an advance promo about a month before the album came from a guy I used to know who dealt in those kinds of things.

Caught the BB Kings warmup show and the two Beacon shows.  Those Beacon shows easily make my list of top 10 Dream Theater shows.

It's a high water mark.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:16 AM »
For me, this is the high mark for DT, so far. Hell, it's the high mark for anyone ever for that matter. I literally can't think of an album I like more.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
For me, this is the high mark for DT, so far. Hell, it's the high mark for anyone ever for that matter. I literally can't think of an album I like more.

Ditto. Over the years, this has become my favorite DT record. I see the comment around here a lot that the second disc is weak, I have certainly never thought that. I think both discs are pretty great front-to-back.

It seems like in prog circles I&W or SFAM get mentioned a lot as DT's "classic" album, for my money that album is SDOIT.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »
It seems like in prog circles I&W or SFAM get mentioned a lot as DT's "classic" album, for my money that album is SDOIT.

Notwithstanding my previously mentioned dislike for Disappear and The Great Debate, these three albums are incredibly close in my top 3.  I think I ultimately put SFAM on top, followed by I&W, and then SDOIT, but on any given day, the order may be reversed.  It's a little like trying to rank the songs on side 1 of Moving Picture or picking a favorite child.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
I have to wonder how long the OP waited to be able to use this thread title. "Alright! Just two more years. . ."

While I like the guitar solo, Blind Faith keeps this from being a perfect album. In fact, it's bad enough in my book to drag the entire album down a notch. It's a shame there wasn't something better in that slot, which could have certainly been nothing at all.

While I really liked hearing the orchestra play the overture at RCMH, by and large I thought they were mostly pointless, and at times a detriment. Prerecorded and abbreviated intro aside, the regular tour version I saw was better.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Evai

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
I think I'm misunderstanding something about Misunderstood. I've always heard Portnoy going 'Shug! Shug! Shhhug! Shhuuuug!' towards the end of the song. It distracts me everytime.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.