Author Topic: dredg  (Read 15751 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: dredg
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2022, 01:53:03 PM »
no they don't. Why per when Chuckles was released just 2 years after Pariah, many fans wondered why it came out so soon.

I mean part of it I think had to do with labels.

Much of the Coquette demo could have easily been what came out on Catch Without Arms, but the label got involved.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2022, 03:04:06 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck83mhLvFDv/

VAULT announcement this Friday.
Continue listening…
#dredgvault

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2022, 06:40:11 PM »
I'm pretty pumped to finally see what this is, that recent interview with Mark hinted at some unreleased track in there. Hopefully it's net new unreleased stuff and not stuff leaked out over the past years. Also I'm curious if my tattoo photo will make it in :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2022, 12:13:18 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClHMBLPPvPt/

"All Proceeds go towards funding the new dredg album, LP#6"

dredg VAULT - a bold, very limited collection of previously unreleased and recently sourced works of art, music, video and relics spanning 28 years time.

The centerpiece is a 340 page hardcover book (10" x 13") signed, numbered and personalized, encapsulating the entire career of the band, from childhood to today.

Other articles and relics include re-releases of early music, unreleased documentary studio footage, conceptual letters, maps, lyric books, as well as never released music.

Each vault is delivered in a custom artwork printed box personalizing the experience from the moment it arrives.

All proceeds go towards funding the new dredg album, LP #6.

- each VAULT will come with a unique symbol pin (pictured here)

- For the next 15 days we will release images of the contents included in the VAULT.

- AVAILABLE Dec. 1
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:19:30 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
Im so pumped for this, can't wait to pick it up. Did you buy the El Cielo reissue Soundscape?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2022, 12:56:58 PM »
yeah I did. Probably expect to receive it next Summer, but so be it.

Yeah, super excited of course. I know they've spent a ton of time on this thing, so it hopefully will show in the final result.

Did you catch that podcast with Mark? he talks a little about the new stuff.

It's weird, I guess Gavin is a couple of years older than the other guys. I always assumed they were all the same age, in the same class in HS. I guess not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlIHBzQVwY
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 01:11:23 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2022, 01:10:17 PM »
Not surprised on the ship date of the El Cielo record, I pretty much forgot I order the leitmotif one a few years back until I got an email it shipped. :lol

I heard the podcast and the Gavin thing did surprise me, I could've sworn on a podcast Gavin was on he said the same thing about being in the same class.

I'm curious what the price will be of the vault but truthfully I'll probably end up buying it regardless.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
they're of course posting stuff about it, including ORPH today. That thing is a GRAIL to some that have hunted for it for ages.

The potential dicey news though, a guy on FB said he asked Dino about what the price is likely to be, and he said $250-$300, LOL.

I can't see not buying it, but...I have a friend who may be able to help me out per I bought 2 copies of the new Toy Matinee blue vinyl, and he wants 1. I love Kevin Gilbert so much, I've gotten into the habit of buying 2 copies of almost everything I can. So, that may cushion my bank account a bit to afford whatever the price tag is going to be (+ shipping of course).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2022, 01:26:56 PM »
It is odd how Chuckles basically killed the band. One poorly received album usually seems to motivate a band to get back I to the studio to release something new. I'd love to hear the story of what happened. Were they just so dejected that they didn't have it in them to create something new? Did their label shut them down? Really kind of a bizarre situation for a moderately popular band that seemed to have some momentum going.

I've always said that Chuckles wasn't bad because of the different style due to the collaboration with Dan the Automator. It was bad because the songs weren't very good and didn't draw me in. I appreciate bands experimenting and trying something new. It was like those songs just lost the magic of what Dredg was.

I'm not sure Chuckles killed the band. I can't source it, but I remember reading (somewhere) that they were basically done anyway. They'd been dropped from Interscope before TPTPTD, and then their new record label afterwards, and Chuckles was a last-ditch attempt to see if they could sell out. The thinking was that they weren't going to be able to support themselves solely on making the albums they wanted to make, so they would try again and mainstream success. It didn't work, and they went back to dredg being a passion  project.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2022, 12:21:11 PM »
they're of course posting stuff about it, including ORPH today. That thing is a GRAIL to some that have hunted for it for ages.

The potential dicey news though, a guy on FB said he asked Dino about what the price is likely to be, and he said $250-$300, LOL.

I can't see not buying it, but...I have a friend who may be able to help me out per I bought 2 copies of the new Toy Matinee blue vinyl, and he wants 1. I love Kevin Gilbert so much, I've gotten into the habit of buying 2 copies of almost everything I can. So, that may cushion my bank account a bit to afford whatever the price tag is going to be (+ shipping of course).

Steep but I paid more for the leitmotif pressing so I'm going to get this. I wonder if they'll include the Conscious demos.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2022, 06:24:21 PM »
Man, I so very much want a new Dredg album and am still SO over getting there. Seemingly years now of semi-announcements, re-releases, and bullshit with no tangible progress. I will buy any album (or likely special edition version) of something if it eventually comes out, but who knows if we'll see it in my lifetime. Maybe I'll get a new Shadow Gallery CD in the meantime.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2022, 06:27:25 PM »
Man, I so very much want a new Dredg album and am still SO over getting there. Seemingly years now of semi-announcements, re-releases, and bullshit with no tangible progress. I will buy any album (or likely special edition version) of something if it eventually comes out, but who knows if we'll see it in my lifetime. Maybe I'll get a new Shadow Gallery CD in the meantime.

Dude.  That is like getting tired of waiting for a date with Aubrey Plaza and settling for a date with Rosie O'Donnell. :P

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2022, 07:51:04 PM »
Their earlier material was more overtly inspired by Tool, and it turns out this one is inspired by Tool's time gaps between albums. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2022, 12:20:14 PM »
I've said it before but I feel the same about a new Dredg album. Yeah this Vault thing of releasing old crap will be great for the really hardcore fans and the countless re-releases of El Cielo and CWA will also please people who don't already own those on vinyl but Chuckles is now 11 years ago and if you really wanna go with the 'It was more of a collab and not really a Dredg album proper' argument then TPTPTD was 13 years ago which is even further away. So almost 14 years since these guys last released a proper good album and we're still milking old re-releases.

Again, cool for those who will buy this stuff, if this was Oceansize or Cardiacs doing similar things I would buy it all but in this particular case I don't feel this stuff is for me. They just don't seem very eager or interested in making something new out of their career. I did see 'money from this will go towards recording new music' but who knows? I'm surprised they haven't been able to push out a few EPs or something in the last 5-6 years.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2022, 11:10:38 AM »
https://dredgvault.com/

limited to 1000.

got mine.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »
same here, did you buy any of the special editions?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2022, 12:07:00 PM »
no..part of me might have, but the increase in price isn't justified for me.

if I had the $, sure, I might have wanted the relics, or actually a ZOOM call might mean the most to me.

I also passed on the N.R.G. vinyl for $250 that Kevin Gilbert's estate is selling today...too high for me. I would best use that $ to see Peter Gabriel or something else. But I know some people will be spending that amount of $ for a vinyl record or in this case, Some lyric sheets or props from a video (Walter from the Same Ol Road video, lol).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2022, 12:12:38 PM »
Bought a vault, for my wife mainly. She's a huge fan. I introduced her to them, and ironically, I'm not as into them as I once was. But she still is.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2022, 12:34:29 PM »
Shit, still debating whether I should get it or not. It's one of those things where I would probably look at it once and then just put it in the bookshelf.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
no..part of me might have, but the increase in price isn't justified for me.

if I had the $, sure, I might have wanted the relics, or actually a ZOOM call might mean the most to me.

I also passed on the N.R.G. vinyl for $250 that Kevin Gilbert's estate is selling today...too high for me. I would best use that $ to see Peter Gabriel or something else. But I know some people will be spending that amount of $ for a vinyl record or in this case, Some lyric sheets or props from a video (Walter from the Same Ol Road video, lol).

The zoom call was the one I wanted to do but with all the kittens we are fostering and the holidays I just couldn't part with the cash.

Shit, still debating whether I should get it or not. It's one of those things where I would probably look at it once and then just put it in the bookshelf.

I feel like I'm not going to touch it that often but it's nice to round-out the dredg vinyls I have.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2022, 10:23:57 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2022, 11:38:39 AM »
Nice, the last vinyl I ordered (Leitmotif re-issue) was over a year :lol, the El Cielo reissue will be at least half a year too.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2022, 11:46:02 AM »
5 to 8 business days...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClmdbutL_m4/

Ok, now this vid seals the deal. I'm getting it! The book looks awesome and of high quality.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
got my Vault this morning from UPS.

I may make an Unboxing video to show it, lol.

The Package itself is worth keeping.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2022, 10:20:59 AM »
Awesome! I'm hoping mine comes in soon. Did you get the golden pin?

Offline DTA

« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2022, 02:22:45 PM »
Does Mourning This Morning remind anyone else of The Cure's Lullaby? It just hit me that MTM seems like it used this song as an inspiration

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »
Is it the similarity of the muted guitar with the pizzicato strings like at 0:48 on "Lullaby"?  That's what leaps out to me on the surface.  Overall "Mourning This Morning" just seems like dredg's take on a classic 70s soul style.  "Lullaby" is much more rooted in 80s aesthetics. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2022, 07:05:50 PM »
I'm unsure as I'm unsure if I've heard that song by The Cure. Mourning This Mourning and Gathering Pebbles have always had that 80's pop ballad kind of sheen to them, so i suppose it's not surprising.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2022, 07:49:23 PM »
I can't really hear much 80s to speak of in "Gathering Pebbles".  Guitars that detuned were extremely uncommon then, the timbre is too precise, the drum production much too crisp, the snare is tuned too high, electronics too modern-sounding, etc.  But you might be latching onto something different about it. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2022, 08:11:57 PM »
Does Mourning This Morning remind anyone else of The Cure's Lullaby? It just hit me that MTM seems like it used this song as an inspiration

I haven't heard Lullaby until today, first take I didn't think there was much similarity but after a few more listens I can definitely see it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #171 on: December 25, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »
One dredg song I always felt had a The Cure vibe is Scissor Lock from El Cielo...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2023, 09:44:23 PM »
Just getting annoyed by all this at this point. Someone please let me know when there is actual solid new music to be excited about.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »
Yea I've kind of just checked out at this point. I'll circle back when there is actual new music.