Author Topic: dredg  (Read 15561 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: dredg - v. 2020 Plans?
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2021, 06:54:52 AM »
Haven't these guys supposedly been working on a new album for like 3-4 years now?  :lol :lol

To be fair, Tool were "working" on a new album for like 12 years so dredg are almost there.  :lol

Plus they have other projects and day jobs so I'm sure its hard to coordinate.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2021, 06:24:49 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQoY4ldpzwa/

tracking 易 song

#leitmotifthefilm

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2021, 07:25:12 AM »
I'm so happy they've started posting more stuff on instagram. It's really cool to see all the behind the scenes footage for their albums.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »
bump! dredg is re-releasing a vinyl bundle for their 20th anniversary for Leitmotif. You can order here: https://dredg.merchnow.com/

I ordered the shirt and vinyl bundle, expected ship date is 7/29/22. A long wait :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
So, no new album?  :yeahright
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
I guess a 10th anniversary remaster of Chuckles is more likely at this point.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »

Nothing I've seen or heard. From Instagram it seems that Drew has been primarily working on the dredg vault, which seems to be a collection of behind the scenes stuff from all their previous albums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2021, 12:28:41 PM »
At the time, I knew Chuckles was a whack album, but if you would have told me it would totally derail the band for 10+ years and counting I wouldn't have believed you.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »

Nothing I've seen or heard. From Instagram it seems that Drew has been primarily working on the dredg vault, which seems to be a collection of behind the scenes stuff from all their previous albums.

yeah the last thing I recall was Drew being interviewed about an Archival project of books and/or film that would come out.

They did write and record some music though a few years ago, but life got in the way including but not exclusively due to COVID.

I think their active presence on Social Media this year is encouraging that new music still could be coming soon.

Online Skeever

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »
bump! dredg is re-releasing a vinyl bundle for their 20th anniversary for Leitmotif. You can order here: https://dredg.merchnow.com/

I ordered the shirt and vinyl bundle, expected ship date is 7/29/22. A long wait :lol

Looks cool! I wish the penguin was on the front of the shirt though.
And that is a long wait, definitely not in time for the holidays that's for sure  :lol

I have the El Cielo vinyl, and it is awesome.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2021, 06:43:38 PM »
I finished my vinyl collection last year so I'll have to pick this up to keep it current.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
Gavin talks about on this new podcast, they have have music for 2 albums or more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-9g4IoF44w

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »
Are we actually ever gonna hear that music though?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
I haven't listened to the podcast yet but that's the thing that is frustrating, I'd like to hear this music in whatever way they choose to release. I know their circumstances are different than say Tool, they have day jobs and other things that they are working on. I just really hope to hear more new music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
Personally, I feel like they ought to shut their mouths until something is finished and ready to be released.  How many times are they gonna tease fans?  "We have two albums worth of material."  Congrats.  When we will actually hear it? 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2021, 12:28:35 PM »
"I think the goal is to have something out next year. I know we keep saying that, but it's just… we want to do it right and we're taking our time, and we're at the age and the point of our career where the pressure to release it right away outside of us wanting to get it done, and I'm sure our fans want to hear it, but we want to do it properly."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: dredg - v. 2022: Leitmotif+El Cielo Anniversary..new album?
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2021, 04:21:39 PM »
See, that is what I mean.  How many times are they going to throw a "we have new music, and hope to release soon"-type comment out there, which only gets fans hopes again before pulling the rug out again.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2021, 11:45:42 PM »
I guess I don't look at it that way.

I'd rather them say anything, even without any new music, than go completely quiet until lliterally they upload a song, share the title, tracklist, artwork and release date. But if it bothers people so much, than they don't have to follow their activity and interviews.

I mean dredg is hardly the 1st band to talk about a new album for many years, and it doesn't actually get released until many years later (Guns N Roses, Tool, Kaddisfly, Chic, Jon Anderson-1000 Hands; Pepe Deluxe and Sculptured in 2021 and  Tears for Fears in 2022,come to mind just off of the top of my head). Something like Peter Gabriel's I/O I suppose is 1 example of it never happening, but at least in that case, there was at least 1 or more interviews where he said it wouldn't happen due to he couldn't sing the music he wrote anymore.

I'm of the hope and belief new music will come out, it's just how and when. I would rather them take their time and release nothing for many years, than rush something out for the sake of just getting something out there. Which if they did, may end up just being rough recordings that are in-effect unfinished demos.
I mean if the band isn't happy with representing their songs like that, why would they?

I would imagine to actually put something out they are happy with, it could take a lot of time. But for some, there's not enough patience for that, lol.

anyway

Leitmotif documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srjommzDums

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2021, 06:10:59 AM »
My interest was really pique when Gavin said the music was slightly heavier. I'm a pretty big fan of Black Map so I'm interested if Mark is going to bring more of those songs onto the new record.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2021, 08:28:56 AM »
I don't mind them taking their time, considering the disaster Chuckles & Mr Squeezy was, I'd rather wait and get an album on par with the albums before than get something rushed that will be forgotten after a few weeks. But I also kinda agree with Kev, I don't think there's any upside to the constant teasing of "trust us, we have new material" because at some point it becomes the boy who cried wolf story. I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: dredg
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2022, 02:11:52 PM »
bump.

anyone else order the Leitmotif Anniversary Vinyl? if so, your copy should be coming soon per mine and many others came in the mail the last couple of days.

Slick
https://dredg.merchnow.com/products/v2/335715/leitmotif-20th-anniversary-green

also, for those who didn't know, Pariah finally got put up on Spotify a couple of weeks ago.
https://open.spotify.com/album/5RcdqCQ9PFrBlFfyrLTFXs

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2022, 02:14:29 PM »
Got my vinyl and shirt yesterday but haven't had a chance to spin it. I'll have to take a pic of all the vinyls together sometime soon.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2022, 07:59:34 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »
Got a reminder all set up. I have the first pressing of this so I'm looking forward to the re-release.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2022, 09:17:30 AM »
I got really into El Cielo over the last two years and can safely say it's rocketed its way up into one of my favorite albums pretty quickly.

I managed to get the other four albums since then but... haven't listened to anything else yet.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2022, 10:30:25 AM »
They're really milking their legacy albums at this point. If I didn't already have El Cielo on vinyl I might have gotten this but isn't it time for them to do something new soon? It feels almost like a Guns n Roses situation at this point clinging onto things from 20 years ago.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to raise studio funds.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2022, 11:16:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to raise studio funds.

Yeah could be. Even after the terrible Chuckles, I'm still curious for new music because they're still 4 out of 5 for me in terms of good albums. I think also the combination of the last album being a big disappointment combined with the long wait time has created this unique situation where expectations are low yet the band has it in them to make magic, so it's like a perfect storm for them to come back and make something special again. Or it ends up just an okay album - which could happen also, but it does feel like there's potential for another strong album from them. They probably have a lot of songs and if they focus on the best ones and craft a well flowing album with those then it should be a hit. The band probably also wants some redemption after how Chuckles was received to go out and make another fantastic album and turn the buzz about the band around to something more positive. :)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
I hated Chuckles too but I do give them a slight pass after recent interviews. Apparently the album was never supposed to be a true dredg album and instead was supposed to be a collaboration and billed as such. The issue was the record label would not allow them to call it a dedg + dan the automator album and instead had to be called a dredg album. Whatever happened I still have high hopes for the next album. The new album snippets I've heard are really impressive and sound like Catch Without Arms dredg.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2022, 07:58:45 PM »
they have a lot of older material that was recorded that didn't make it onto Pariah, although I suppose there's reason to believe they wouldn't want to release that stuff given it's not representative of what they are now, or music they want to make now.

Which might suggest they could release 2 albums at some point, 1 that is all new, and 1 that is the stuff from the Pariah period.

And yes, that is the common lack of knowledge about Chuckles. It was a collaboration with Dan the Automator and the band didn't intend to release it under just their own name.

That being said, I still feel Chuckles isn't a bad album, it's just not as good as their others.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2022, 12:47:17 AM »
Even if we don't count Chuckles as a proper Dredg album that almost makes things worse in the sense that Pariah was in 2009 and that's a loooooong time ago. I don't know the inside workings of the band as well as you guys do but when you look at their career you have an album every 2-3 years that are fairly well regarded, then you end at Chuckles which despite some defenders is generally not that liked (even people who do like it seem to admit it's the weakest) and then after you get 11 years of nothing. I've joked before that many bands have the occasional bad album but it's rare for that bad album to kill the career entirely but that's a bit how it feels like in this case.

Either way I still hope the band comes back with good music. For me Chuckles really lacked the prog rock/art rock side of their sound and if there's anything I hope for with new material it would be the return of that. I just hope we finally get it and that we don't go 3 years without any news and then "Hey guys it's time for CWA 20 year anniversary vinyl".  :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2022, 05:54:38 AM »
It is odd how Chuckles basically killed the band. One poorly received album usually seems to motivate a band to get back I to the studio to release something new. I'd love to hear the story of what happened. Were they just so dejected that they didn't have it in them to create something new? Did their label shut them down? Really kind of a bizarre situation for a moderately popular band that seemed to have some momentum going.

I've always said that Chuckles wasn't bad because of the different style due to the collaboration with Dan the Automator. It was bad because the songs weren't very good and didn't draw me in. I appreciate bands experimenting and trying something new. It was like those songs just lost the magic of what Dredg was.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2022, 06:12:49 AM »
It is odd how Chuckles basically killed the band. One poorly received album usually seems to motivate a band to get back I to the studio to release something new. I'd love to hear the story of what happened. Were they just so dejected that they didn't have it in them to create something new? Did their label shut them down? Really kind of a bizarre situation for a moderately popular band that seemed to have some momentum going.

I've always said that Chuckles wasn't bad because of the different style due to the collaboration with Dan the Automator. It was bad because the songs weren't very good and didn't draw me in. I appreciate bands experimenting and trying something new. It was like those songs just lost the magic of what Dredg was.

Agreed on both points. Would definitely be curious to learn more about why or how Chuckles killed the band. But also I do agree about the sound because Chuckles is basically Dredg without the prog and going more towards the alt rock/pop style and that's kinda what CWA was and CWA is A LOT better than Chuckles, and there's not really much prog in there.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »
I don't think they were a band that works fast to begin with. It took them four years after Catch without arms to release a follow up. That also kind of killed the momentum.