Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 84017 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia
« Reply #840 on: November 12, 2023, 05:21:48 PM »
North American tour thoughts!!!

Spoilers of course.  I wasn't spoiled for the show last night and I'm glad because it was a very surprising set.

No Anders, so it's still just 4 of them.  I know this is not ideal, and the tracks are definitely not as good as having Anders there.  But it was still an awesome show.  I'd absolutely encourage everyone to catch a show if you can and you'll likely hear lots of stuff you haven't before.

It was a very energetic show; Jonas is moving around the stage quite a bit, the crowd response was insane which I was happy to see considering they did a lot of new stuff.  Sound was ok; probably could be better but after a few minutes I didn't care.

And the setlist! They still played a bunch of expected songs but also had some great surprises.

They started with the first two songs from Sky Void of Stars.  I'd heard Austerity last year but they didn't play it at beginning of that tour.  Colossal Shade is a favorite of mine from the new album so I was happy to hear it.

New and/or surprising songs:

Flicker - for some reason I wasn't really expecting new City Burials songs.  It's great live, and a favorite of mine on the album too.

Opaline - I did expect this one but it's new and noteworthy. :) It didn't disappoint.  This song has a great energy to it.

Decima (wow) - Jonas said that they'd be playing songs they'd never played before this tour, including this next one from The Fall of Hearts, a ballad.  Decima, and it was beautiful. :)

And speaking of beautiful: Lacquer was next.  I really wanted to hear it last time and was a little sad it wasn't played.  I wasn't at all expecting it now.  Jonas handled it really well - not effortlessly, but I loved it, every second.

Nephilim - not a huge surprise to me since I saw it at Damnation festival but I'd consider it a surprise in general.

Two more new ones - Birds and Author.  I really like Birds and live I think it's even better.  But Author is special.

Journey Through Pressure - I was pretty shocked to hear this.  And again, it was so so good.

Incredible show. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #841 on: November 13, 2023, 08:06:43 AM »
My thoughts too!  :)

Went to see the band in Brooklyn last night. I wasn't spoiled either as I didn't look at any setlist in advance. But, of course, spoilers below!

A few general thoughts:

- As Lethean said, no Anders, which is known by now, so no "disappointment" per se (since it's expected). I'm still unsure why they don't have someone playing live. I would imagine it's a deliberate choice, although I guess it wouldn't be terrible if they elaborated a bit on it. Not on the reasons why Anders is not on tour (privacy and all...), maybe just a little more clarity on the whole thing.

- The sound was so-so. Hadn't been to that venue before, so I don't know how it normally is. The bass frequencies were quite overwhelming, and you could barely hear Roger's rhythm parts (solos were ok).

- The performance itself: what they played was GREAT. Agreed that there was pretty good "energy" on stage. What I will say, though, is for a band with such a lengthy catalog (as Katatonia now has), barely getting to play 90 minutes is maybe a tad disappointing. I'm super-happy with them not playing pre-Viva Emptiness material (I mean, I'd love that too, but I get it)...I'm just saying that, even only considering albums from Viva on, there's a lot to pick from  ;) That said, again, what was in the setlist was really good.

As to more specific setlist thoughts:

- Interesting to see that there were a couple changes vs. Lethean's gig (Was that Baltimore or Cambridge, btw?).

- They started with No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall, which was quite a surprise. Good stuff.

- No Lacquer for us (which made me a bit sad), but we did get Racing Heart (which I love!).

- Decima was definitely a nice breather.

- I didn't expect Nephilim - that's the one I could maybe do without. Not among my favorites, but its heaviness worked well live.

- SO happy they played Flicker! It's one of my favorites from City Burials.

- The songs from Sky Void of Starts were great and incredibly well received. Colossal Shade is so good. We did get Atrium and not Author, which is absolutely fine with me - I like Author, but Atrium is one of my songs of the year and the live energy was special. Opaline is another favorite, and it delivered, as expected.

- Loved the final one-two punch of My Twin and Evidence. Not surprisingly, the crowd was really into them.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #842 on: November 13, 2023, 08:46:28 AM »
I was there in Brooklyn too. :) (Spoilers continue.)

I was extremely happy that they opened with No Beacon to Illuminate Our Fall.  They opened their set at Damnation Festival with it, and it was the live debut. When it wasn't played in Baltimore at all, I thought maybe they'd decided they didn't like it live or something.  They do occasionally change a setlist song maybe in the middle of a tour, but usually not a situation where they're mixing a few songs up night to night.  I was so happy with the Baltimore setlist that I couldn't dare be that disappointed though.  But I was ecstatic about hearing it last night. :)

What a dilemma about Lacquer vs The Racing Heart.  I really really really love Lacquer and want to hear it again (and again).  But how could I ever not love hearing The Racing Heart? :)

Atrium vs Author: I heard Atrium at the shows last year, so I'd like some more Author.  But... I think I love Atrium even more now than I did then, and I did notice its absence and miss it.  So it's all good.

But to Nick's point, why not play them both and play a little longer?  I can't really complain I guess unless I complain about seemingly everyone besides DT.  (Ok that's a total exaggeration but it seems that way). Leprous is usually about an hour and 20, I think if Tesseract was an hour and 20 that's generous.... DT does give James a lot of long instrumental breaks so maybe it isn't a fair comparison.

Also, to Katatonia, almost all the bands at ProgPower, Tesseract... Please chill with the bass! I absolutely want to hear it, but maybe not feel it in my skull. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #843 on: November 13, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »

Ha! Did NOT know that (obviously  ;)). We could've had a mini-DTF meet up!

Yeah, I guess the relatively "short" gigs are not unusual with, well, most bands these days. I just figured Katatonia at this point of their journey have been around for long enough to use slightly more extended setlists.

Also - how well could you hear Roger's guitar? There were moments when I could barely hear it. Was it the same in Baltimore?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #844 on: November 13, 2023, 11:29:17 AM »
I guess I don't get the idea of setlist spoiler warnings.  Is that really a big deal to people?  It's not like you can get in a time machine to see that exact show again, and with bands that change their setlists you aren't necessarily going to get or not get a particular song anyway. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #845 on: November 13, 2023, 11:40:59 AM »
I don't like to know the setlist ahead of time.  Katatonia hasn't really been a band to change their setlist during the tours I've seen, but even if they were, it wouldn't be a completely different set.  I don't want to know any of the set ahead of time.  I like being surprised/shocked/delighted/etc during the show, and that happened a few times in Baltimore and a couple times last night..  It adds to the experience for me rather than knowing what to expect.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #846 on: November 13, 2023, 11:50:27 AM »

Ha! Did NOT know that (obviously  ;)). We could've had a mini-DTF meet up!
I should post about it next time.  I should be at the Midwest shows too.

Yeah, I guess the relatively "short" gigs are not unusual with, well, most bands these days. I just figured Katatonia at this point of their journey have been around for long enough to use slightly more extended setlists.
I would love nothing more than an evening with Katatonia.

Also - how well could you hear Roger's guitar? There were moments when I could barely hear it. Was it the same in Baltimore?
I feel like I could hear it better in Baltimore.  But at both shows I ditched my earplugs; drums were then too loud but it helped me hear both Roger and Jonas better.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #847 on: November 13, 2023, 12:02:53 PM »
In my case with various bands I've often preferred to look up the setlist ahead of time so I can freshly familiarize myself with what they've played recently, and then it can make the songs come alive more than "wait, do I know this song?  It sounds sort of familiar, but is it?" 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #848 on: November 13, 2023, 12:27:01 PM »
In my case with various bands I've often preferred to look up the setlist ahead of time so I can freshly familiarize myself with what they've played recently, and then it can make the songs come alive more than "wait, do I know this song?  It sounds sort of familiar, but is it?"
Oh I don't object to looking up the setlist for myself if I'm not as familiar with the band.  Sometimes it doesn't matter and I like the set anyway, but it often does help to know the songs at least a little bit.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #849 on: November 13, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
I feel like I could hear it better in Baltimore.  But at both shows I ditched my earplugs; drums were then too loud but it helped me hear both Roger and Jonas better.

Yep, the drums were extra-loud. Although I have to say I was pretty mesmerized by Moilanen's performance. He's so good.

Oh I don't object to looking up the setlist for myself if I'm not as familiar with the band.  Sometimes it doesn't matter and I like the set anyway, but it often does help to know the songs at least a little bit.

That's kind of where I am too.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #850 on: February 11, 2024, 04:01:24 PM »
Sky Void Of Stars has been getting a bunch of play from me over the last couple of weeks. It's latched on more than any other K record so far. They're a band I like the sound of and periodically listen to for a bit but haven't before stuck with for who knows why.

This album is really working for me, though. The balance of styles is really something. The odd rhythms, the gloom, the catchiness, the riffs, shades of Opeth and Anathema - and pop! There's a few moments where I catch a change or arrangement that would sound poppy but has been through their filter of chord or timing choices. Very cool.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.