Author Topic: Bill and Ted Face the Music  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Bill and Ted Face the Music
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:40:41 AM »
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/01/bill-ted-face-music-writer-reveals-bodacious-plot-details-sequel/

Bill & Ted Face the Music will reunite us with Bill S. Preston Esquire (Alex Winter) and Ted Theodore Logan (Keanu Reeves) as middle aged family men, but according to Solomon, their journey back to the big screen has been more difficult than a game of chess with the grim reaper.

“We have been working for almost 10 years to get this thing made; Alex Winter, Keanu Reeves, Chris Matheson, me… we have a director – Dean Parisot, who did Galaxy Quest– Steven Soderbergh is one of our producers. We have a wonderful assembly of people.

“We have a script that we really are proud of, that we worked very hard on, that we’ve done many iterations of – and we did it on spec, meaning we spent years working on it because we wanted to get it right, creatively.

“This is not, ‘Hey let’s all cash-in on the Bill & Ted thing for money’ – this is the opposite. This is, ‘We love these characters, they’ve been with us for our whole lives’ – Chris and me, and Alex and Keanu – and we wanted to visit them again as middle-aged men. We thought it would be really fun, and funny, and sweet.

Solomon also spoke at length about how the script would incorporate Rufus, with Bill & Ted travelling back in time in order to interact with their young selves and George Carlin’s character using footage from Excellent Adventure.

“There’s actually a scene – one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie – where middle-aged, 50-year-old Bill and Ted return to the Circle K and see their teen selves and Rufus, and actually interact with their teenage selves, played by their actual teenage selves.”

Finally, Solomon went on to discuss the frustrations in getting their script the greenlight, citing the financiers desire for a reboot with teenage kids rather than a sequel, and the worry that because the original was a cult hit, there really wouldn’t be the audience to justify the expenditure.

Seeing as the first film is one of my top 5 movies of all time, I really hope this release does it justice. Fingers crossed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Bill and Ted Face the Music
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:49:56 AM »
I still love Bill and Ted, but it's very much a product of that specific time (in a good way imo), and you can't recreate it now without losing something, or forcing something that won't work in 2018.

I don't think they should make a sequel at this point, and I still doubt it will happen, but if they do, this doesn't sound terrible so far.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:48:46 AM »
I loved these movies! I really hope it's good, but I have a nagging doubt that it might turn out like the recent Dumb and Dumber sequel.

As Blob said, these types of movies are very much of their time, which makes it so hard to recapture the spirit of them when revisiting them this amount of time later.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
I loved these movies! I really hope it's good, but I have a nagging doubt that it might turn out like the recent Dumb and Dumber sequel.

As Blob said, these types of movies are very much of their time, which makes it so hard to recapture the spirit of them when revisiting them this amount of time later.

I think there would be no in between with this sequel. It'd either be great or just a dumpster fire. But 'Galaxy Quest' was fantastic as far as I'm concerned so we know Dean Parisot can guide a funny movie and I'd think Reeves and Winter at this point in their careers would give it their all. I'd lean this would be 'great'....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »

I think there would be no in between with this sequel. It'd either be great or just a dumpster fire. But 'Galaxy Quest' was fantastic as far as I'm concerned so we know Dean Parisot can guide a funny movie and I'd think Reeves and Winter at this point in their careers would give it their all. I'd lean this would be 'great'....

Oh, I think there's plenty of room in between, and that's about where I expect this to fall.  From the description, it sounds like they are doing this right.  I think it would have been a mistake to try to either do a reboot or do a sequel with different actors.  The fact that they are bringing it into the now by doing the guys in the present day as middle-aged men seems like a good call, and is definitely a story I think could be fun.  I doubt I would be interested in seeing a reboot or sequel that tries to pick up where the last ones left of.  Seeing it in the present day with old dudes is a funny premise in and of itself.  I highly doubt it'll be great.  But I hope to be reasonably entertained and can easily envision it being a film I was glad I saw, but won't buy or go out of my way to rewatch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:01:38 AM »

Oh, I think there's plenty of room in between, and that's about where I expect this to fall.  From the description, it sounds like they are doing this right.  I think it would have been a mistake to try to either do a reboot or do a sequel with different actors.  The fact that they are bringing it into the now by doing the guys in the present day as middle-aged men seems like a good call, and is definitely a story I think could be fun.  I doubt I would be interested in seeing a reboot or sequel that tries to pick up where the last ones left of.  Seeing it in the present day with old dudes is a funny premise in and of itself.  I highly doubt it'll be great.  But I hope to be reasonably entertained and can easily envision it being a film I was glad I saw, but won't buy or go out of my way to rewatch.

My definition of 'great' concerning this film just means it doesn't totally suck  :lol   ....or pretty much what you described. If it is entertaining and not a pile of poo my sliding scale for this effort would consider it 'great'.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »
How Winter looking thesedays?  Keanu basically doesn't seem to age!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
How Winter looking thesedays?  Keanu basically doesn't seem to age!

From a quick Google search, it seems Alex Winter is holding up pretty well too.

Not as well as Keanu Reeves, but you can't compete with that.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »

Still looking good for his age. Sure, he's one of the Lost Boys. Never grow old, never die...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »

My definition of 'great' concerning this film just means it doesn't totally suck  :lol   ....or pretty much what you described. If it is entertaining and not a pile of poo my sliding scale for this effort would consider it 'great'.

Okay...I'm not sure how "doesn't totally suck" equates to "great," but whatever.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »
I still love Bill and Ted, but it's very much a product of that specific time (in a good way imo), and you can't recreate it now without losing something, or forcing something that won't work in 2018.

I don't think they should make a sequel at this point, and I still doubt it will happen, but if they do, this doesn't sound terrible so far.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

If they do the movie they have to have the original audience in mind, meaning doing a movie for a bunch of "middle aged guys". If they try to aim it at a new (and younger) audience as their primary target, this film's gonna suck.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »

Okay...I'm not sure how "doesn't totally suck" equates to "great," but whatever.  :dunno:

In my mind alone it's a matter of the individual movie....the genre....the expectation alone.....oh, who am I kidding. I have no idea. It's a Bill and Ted movie. Not expecting the Godfather but anything better than Bio Dome is a success in my book...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 09:00:50 AM »
Yeah, I think we're actually basically saying the same thing at the end of the day.  I guess it was just your wording that seemed strange to me.  But basically, yeah, putting it in the context of the film we are talking about, and somewhat lowered expectations in terms of it not being the next "Godfather" or something of that nature, I expect it to be more or less a success in terms of just being a fun, entertaining nostalgia trip with humor aimed more at middle-aged folks than the younger movie-going crowd.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
I hope it's non-heinous.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
I hope it's non-heinous.

I think “non-heinous” is bad.  :coolio
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
Heinous is bad.  Non-heinous is good.

When something is really bad, they say "non-non-heinous".  Double negative equals positive.  And when Bill thinks Ted has been killed (with the sword in the "heavy metal" armor) he refers to it as "non-, non-non-, non-heinous".  You can see him counting out the "nons" as he says it, slipping the double in between the other two.  Quadruple negative also equals positive.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
https://youtu.be/Ar1PIutCttU?t=57s

If they are fully upfront about Bill and Ted being middle age dudes and build the story around that, this could be really good. There is a thread about movies feeling dated, and the original 2 are definitely products of the 80s and couldn't be made today. Making a movie faithful to a 30 year old franchise while appealing to a contemporary audience is indeed a challenge.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 09:40:07 PM »
Wait....let me count this out as I'm typing cause I remember the line.

After they get done with "the big fall" in Bogus Journey, he says, "That was non, non non, non heinous."   And that was definitely a bad thing.   So I thought the additional "non's" were just for added emphasis...as if to say that this was quadruple bad.

EDIT -  I just rewatched and it wasn't after the fall...but it was while they were in hell.  Definitely a quadruple referring to a VERY bad thing.

https://youtu.be/v_piQJW49lI?t=7m25s

2nd Edit.... but then I look up the dictionary definition of heinous, and I see what you’re saying.   I must have misunderstood it all these years....but that still means that the scene I just posted in hell is a mistake.   It should have been 5 non’s...right?

3RD edit.....no wait....so....odds are “good” and evens are “bad”???   Dude, I’m on my 2nd hot buttered rum and I’m so confused.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:31:49 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
Heinous means bad.  That's the actual definition, and for all of their strange ways of speaking, Bill and Ted do tend to follow proper rules of grammar.

Non-heinous is therefore good.

Non-non-heinous is the opposite of that, and is therefore bad.

Non-non-non-heinous is therefore good, although I don't think they ever use a triple negative.

Non-non-non-non-heinous is therefore bad.  The extra "nons" aren't just for emphasis; each one properly reverses the effect of what follows.  That's a quadruple negative, so it's a positive state.  "Positive" in this case doesn't mean "good" -- it means you don't reverse it.  The state of heinousness has been flipped back and forth a total of four times, so you're back where you started, with something bad.

Bill and Ted tend to use "non-heinous" for good and "non-non-heinous" for bad.  I don't remember them ever just saying "heinous" for something bad.  It's usually "non-non-heinous".  Again, if "non-heinous" is good, then "non-non-heinous" must be bad.  And that's how they use the terms.  I only remember the one quadruple, but it's definitely for something bad.

Edit: wow, that was a triple in the clip you included.  I completley forgot that one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 12:15:15 AM »
This discussion is non non heinous.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:48 AM »
As an aside - I friggin love Keanu.  Bill & Ted's, Point Break, Speed, The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, John Wick are all personal favorites.

I know he's not an Oscar caliber actor, but he has got a strong presence (part of the reason Speed 2 sucks so much is because no Keanu).   He also seems like a real genuine nice and interesting guy, seems like he really lives up to Bill & Ted's mantra of 'be excellent to each other'  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 05:30:07 AM »
Rebooting it would be terrible. Seeing a new actor trying to act like Bill or Ted would be cringey. It would be the same if they remade Ace Ventura. You just can't replicate that without it coming off as a cheap imitation. There are exceptions, but for those kinds of characters it just wouldn't work.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 05:40:17 AM »
Rebooting it would be terrible. Seeing a new actor trying to act like Bill or Ted would be cringey. It would be the same if they remade Ace Ventura. You just can't replicate that without it coming off as a cheap imitation. There are exceptions, but for those kinds of characters it just wouldn't work.

Just like the TV series of Bill and Ted, which I only just remembered was even a thing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 05:58:05 AM »
As an aside - I friggin love Keanu.  Bill & Ted's, Point Break, Speed, The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, John Wick are all personal favorites.

I really like him in The Replacements, and even though it's not an amazing movie or anything, there's a soft place in my heart that loves the movie Hardball.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »

he was good in 'The Devils Advocate' as well. He has a good resume of movies. I'd say I enjoy 95% of what he's done. But the thing that sticks out to me the most about him is you can't find anyone to say a bad word about him. By all accounts he's a heck of a guy. He habitually forfeits chunks of his salary to crew members....speaking of Devils Advocate.....the only reason Al Pacino was in that movie was because Reeves took a smaller pay day just to make sure they could pay Pacino.

He's always doing something for charity, very fan friendly....and one of the most refreshing things (in my eyes) is he keeps his personal politics to himself....huge plus for me. I'd say he's one of four or five actors I'd love to be able to meet and chat with.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 08:29:23 AM »
I did not know any of that, but that raises his esteem in my eyes significantly.  His roles do tend to be very wooden, but he somehow makes that work.  That has become part of his charm.  But it does lead to a perception, at least in my opinion, that he is just an odd person.  I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing.  It just is what it is.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 10:26:16 AM »
He brings a "regular guy" kinda of charm to things.  Even in stuff like The Devil's Advocate, where he played a super badass lawyer (so badass that the Devil himself wanted him to be his, um, advocate), he was simultaneously badass and in over his head.  John Wick is the same.  Contract killer in the top 0.1% of the best, but he's just a guy who'd like nothing more than to chill at home with his dog, or drive his cool car.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »
I rarely go to the movies any more.  The last three movies I saw in the theater were the first two Star Trek reboots and Inception.  I would have seen Disaster Artist if it wasn't 2 hours away.

I WILL go see Bill & Ted in the theater, by myself if I have to, and I think going to a movie theater alone is weird.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 01:02:47 PM »
I am alarmed at the frequent use of the words "Keanu Reeves" and "charm" in the same sentence. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online pg1067

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
Heinous means bad.  That's the actual definition, and for all of their strange ways of speaking, Bill and Ted do tend to follow proper rules of grammar.

Non-heinous is therefore good.

Non-non-heinous is the opposite of that, and is therefore bad.

Non-non-non-heinous is therefore good, although I don't think they ever use a triple negative.

Non-non-non-non-heinous is therefore bad.  The extra "nons" aren't just for emphasis; each one properly reverses the effect of what follows.  That's a quadruple negative, so it's a positive state.  "Positive" in this case doesn't mean "good" -- it means you don't reverse it.  The state of heinousness has been flipped back and forth a total of four times, so you're back where you started, with something bad.

Bill and Ted tend to use "non-heinous" for good and "non-non-heinous" for bad.  I don't remember them ever just saying "heinous" for something bad.  It's usually "non-non-heinous".  Again, if "non-heinous" is good, then "non-non-heinous" must be bad.  And that's how they use the terms.  I only remember the one quadruple, but it's definitely for something bad.

Edit: wow, that was a triple in the clip you included.  I completley forgot that one.

I distinctly recall when Bogus Journey came out, the local paper (Orange County Register) published an article that "translated" many of the Bill & Ted-isms in the movie, including an explanation of "heinous" (which, of course, was used frequently in Excellent Adventure).  I knew pretty much from the time I read the article that the movie would not live up to its predecessor, despite the fact that it features me in the battle of the bands crowd at the end, which was filmed at Six Flags Magic Mountain (I've seen some stuff on the web that says it was filmed at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and, while the exterior shots may have been filmed there the actual battle of the bands scenes were done at Magic Mountain).  Excellent Adventure is an absolute classic (even though it's basically Jeff Spicoli x2).  Unfortunately, Bogus Journey didn't really offer anything new and simply pushed most of the same puns too far, and it didn't work (perhaps the result of Stephen Herek not directing BJ or maybe the subpar script was the reason why he didn't direct).

With 25+ years to work on the script for Face the Music, I HOPE they've figured out what made EA great and BJ not so much.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:55:49 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
I WILL go see Bill & Ted in the theater, by myself if I have to, and I think going to a movie theater alone is weird.

Funny. I go to the movies alone all the time because my ol' lady hates going to the movies.
She's always telling me I'm "that guy". The middle-aged creep sitting all alone, dead center of the theater.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
I've gone to a few movies alone in the last 5 years. I have friends that would go, but I would have to pay their way. Same with concerts..  Weak!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
but I would have to pay their way. Same with concerts..  Weak!

Get in the spirit of the thread, man!  "Most non-triumphant" would be the appropriate response.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »
but I would have to pay their way. Same with concerts..  Weak!

Get in the spirit of the thread, man!  "Most non-triumphant" would be the appropriate response.
"And totally bogus man" !!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP