Author Topic: The Alienist - on TNT  (Read 1930 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The Alienist - on TNT
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Anyone catch the pilot episode? Pretty neat idea. Turn of the century serial killer lose in New York City. Main character is a Doctor/Psychologist with ‘theories’ about the mindset of the murderer.

Dakota Fanning is in it along with a host of recognizable actors whose names escape me. I enjoyed the first episode and it seems like it’ll be a cool show. Future episodes look to involve more of the social scene and who may be involved. Anyway....it’s worth a watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Alienist - on TNT
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:10 AM »
See it mentioned in an article about new series... I will check it out sooner or later!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:18:02 AM »
I also watched first ep. I like these time period types. Enjoyed it, but too early to form an opinion. Looking forward to see how it unfolds.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:04:51 AM by Shooters1221 »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:22:55 AM »
I have it DVR'd. Looking forward to it.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
I need to go and find the first episode on demand. It's based on a book (same name) that I absolutely loved.
Photobucket sucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
Solid second episode as well. Looks like this series may have legs....

Offline masterthes

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »
I loved the book as well. It's been years though since I've read it, but I still need to check this out

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »
This show is really good. I highly recommend it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
We're 3 episodes in I"m having a hard time really getting into it. It's not bad but I'm connecting with the characters.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
We're 3 episodes in I"m having a hard time really getting into it. It's not bad but I'm connecting with the characters.

It took me a few episodes to get into it.  I've recently started watching a series on HBO that is taking away my enthusiasm for watching The Alienist, but it seems like it's picking up steam now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »

It took me a few episodes to get into it.  I've recently started watching a series on HBO that is taking away my enthusiasm for watching The Alienist, but it seems like it's picking up steam now.

Same here. But I'm really intrigued by Dakota Fanning's character at the moment....she's doing a great job with her.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
Watched the finale last night and I have to say that I pretty much just plain disappointed in the show. The main character was unlikable, the finale was boring, and I think a few of the roles were miscast (Roosevelt). I will say that I really enjoy Luke Evan as as actor and hope he gets more mainstream roles.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »
Watched the finale last night and I have to say that I pretty much just plain disappointed in the show. The main character was unlikable, the finale was boring, and I think a few of the roles were miscast (Roosevelt). I will say that I really enjoy Luke Evan as as actor and hope he gets more mainstream roles.

I like the show but was underwhelmed with the Finale. Pretty big let down considering they were chasing that dude the entire season....so to get the resolution we did was a bit of a cop out. Which I took as there is no explanation as to why we do the things we do??

I will most likely watch the second season if there is one because I enjoyed it enough.....

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 04:00:45 AM »
Put me down as the same. I was waiting for the great finale and it just never came. Very disappointing ending and almost makes my ask 'what was the point of the whole show?' A lot of the scenes early on in the season seemed to turn out useless. JMO.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 04:24:13 AM »
Bumping to say that I started watching, and that I'm six episodes in. Fifth and sixth episodes so far have been the best, packed with revelations and action.

It may look like yet another victorian drama, but this time around they brought it to the other side of the ocean. It's nice to see ancient New York for a change. I hope it will end as good as is starting to look!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 06:29:05 AM »
Bumping to say that I started watching, and that I'm six episodes in. Fifth and sixth episodes so far have been the best, packed with revelations and action.

It may look like yet another victorian drama, but this time around they brought it to the other side of the ocean. It's nice to see ancient New York for a change. I hope it will end as good as is starting to look!

I enjoyed the show.....liked it a lot at times......will be curious to see your response to the entire season.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 01:25:14 AM »
Well, I liked it. The resoluion was kinda standard, the final showdown, the protagonists all being involved etc, at the end it was nothing groundbreaking or out of the ordinary, but it was still well done and the atmosphere was good.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:40 AM »
Well, I liked it. The resoluion was kinda standard, the final showdown, the protagonists all being involved etc, at the end it was nothing groundbreaking or out of the ordinary, but it was still well done and the atmosphere was good.

My largest ‘issue’ was the fact that we really got no new info. About the killer other than what we knew going in. We got to see him but outside of that we’re left with the conclusion that no one knows why people do the things they do.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
Indeed, that was such a bummer. If this wasn't taken from a novel, I'd think they wrote the killer to be mysterious and then at the end said "screw it, why bother with an explanation, it'll remain a mystery".

Anyway - this was yet again a case of the bad guys chasing the unseen and unknown killer. Lt. Columbo reverted the genre but still we knew who the culprit was, and who the guy chasing the culprit and how (Columbo himself of course).

Has there ever been a situation where you see the point of view of the killer, but you don't see the police? I wonder if it could be translated well into a movie or a TV series a story from the point of view of a killer, but where you don't see all the brainstorming the police does and how the traps are laid.

Imagine The Alienist as seen from the point of view of the killer: we see him chasing his victims, we see him hooking up with Stevie NOT knowing until it's revealed that he's a decoy, we see him preparing to kill Joseph NOT knowing the good guys are onto him.  Maybe it's a wacky storytelling device but I would like to see it explored  :D (there could also be a voiceover like Dexter to allow the audience to better understand how the killer is trying to avoid being caught, and maybe confuse the police investigation)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:38:04 AM by MirrorMask »