Author Topic: Music you are surprised you DON'T like  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Music you are surprised you DON'T like
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:38:44 AM »
Since I find the other thread about music you are surprised to like pretty interesting, I though I'd start a thread about music you should like (based on f.e. mutual tastes in music of friends) but just can't get into though.

For me it's Jimi Hendrix. Lots of colleagues and friends who listen to a lot of music I listen to too adore Jimi. I think he was a brilliant musician, but I just don't like listening to his stuff. I really can't explain why.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

Re: Music you are surprised you DON'T like
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:27 AM »
First example that comes to mind is Opeth. Everyone I know is or was raving about Opeth, and I couldn't dig a song for the life of me. I don't like extreme metal with harsh vocals, ok, there are the more clean vocals songs... don't like them. They also made an acoustic album, cool.... I found it boring. I just have to accept that Opeth's music is not meant for me.

Also a lot of prog stuff here and there doesn't really captivate me too much. The point is that I don't listen to Dream Theater because I like prog, Dream Theater is the only reason why I even bother to check out other similar bands of the genre here and there. For example I tried giving a shot at Transatlantic but even though there's nothing I really dislike, as in "Bleah, what is this, I don't want to listen to it anymore", nothing really stands out to me (We All Need Some Light is cool though).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:01:51 AM »
Two bands comes to mind:
Rush and Marillion for some reason I have never got into those bands. I habe tried for YEARS to like them, but I just can’t.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:09 AM »
Foo Fighters. They seem to be everything I should like in a band, but I just don't get them at all. it's just a noise to me.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:31:22 AM »
Tool, NiN, The Deftones and Queens of the Stone Age.

Critically respected bands within genres I generally enjoy, I've tried numerous times with each of these acts - but aside from the odd song here and there, nothing really sticks for me.

Also Radiohead post OK Computer.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:18 AM »
Beatles, I recognize their influence but I just don't like almost all of their songs.

For me it's Jimi Hendrix. Lots of colleagues and friends who listen to a lot of music I listen to too adore Jimi. I think he was a brilliant musician, but I just don't like listening to his stuff. I really can't explain why.

And this, I like some of his songs but mostly when they are played by others.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:49:09 AM »
Some of the new prog rock/ prog metal bands, like Periphery and Between the Buried and Me.

I sometimes listen on occasion, but never got much into them..

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »
Two bands comes to mind:
Rush and Marillion for some reason I have never got into those bands. I habe tried for YEARS to like them, but I just can’t.
Thank you for naming my two all time favorite bands, with Dream Theater and Kansas being 3 and 4 respectfully.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
I am surprised I don't like David bowie that much. There's like a good 15 ish songs that I love, but I'm not that into his overall catalogue. Hopefully one day I acquire a taste.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:08:29 AM »
Stephen Wilson and Porcupine Tree. I like a song here and there but for the most part Wilson just does nothing for me.
Queensryche- LOVE Operation Mindcrime. Pretty much hate everything else. Probably because I don't like Tates voice.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »
Foo Fighters. They seem to be everything I should like in a band, but I just don't get them at all. it's just a noise to me.

This one.   I tried, I gave it the good effort, but it just doesn't click, outside of a handful of songs.   Tom Petty is in this group as well.

Stephen Wilson.  Lord, I've tried, but - and this is coming from a guy that loves ELP, Yes and Crimson - it just comes off as pretentious to me.   

I suppose there are others, too.  Steve Hackett's solo stuff.  MSG stuff without Gary Barden (or Graham Bonnet).   Brian May solo stuff.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
Nirvana.....nails on a chalk board to me.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
Most classic and modern prog.

Just can't get into Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Hakken, etc.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:24 AM »
- most classic prog, I just can't do. Yes? Genesis? ELP? You might as well put on Limp Bizkit - I'll be checking the time 30 seconds in regardless.
- all the rock bands that sound like Kings of Leon but aren't Kings of Leon. I absolutely love KoL. But every time last.fm or Spotify suggests an artist that's similar to them, I hate it.
- Judas Priest. I should love 'em, but they're atrocious
- most symphonic/power metal beyond the first decade of this millennium despite that being the genre I was most into growing up - it's all terrible
- any band with a lot of shredding - grew up loving that stuff but hearing it lately, I want to rip off my ears. Salieri was right, damn it
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »
- most symphonic/power metal beyond the first decade of this millennium despite that being the genre I was most into growing up - it's all terrible

More or less it's the same with me. I grew up with power metal, and I still follow the bands I discovered at the beginning (Helloween) or many years ago (Sonata Arctica), but I have absolutely no interest in checking out new power metal bands nowadays.

I can't even remember the most recent all out metal act I started to follow. I still follow the old ones but when it comes to new music I'm more driven to alternative stuff: folk / folk metal, weird theatric stuff, some occasional post rock here and there... I still consider myself a 100% metalhead but it's hard for a straight out, newcomer metal band to capture my interest.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
Love Steven Wilson but can't get into Porcupine Tree to save my life. Makes no sense; PT was almost a solo project anyway

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:18:13 AM »

More or less it's the same with me. I grew up with power metal, and I still follow the bands I discovered at the beginning (Helloween) or many years ago (Sonata Arctica), but I have absolutely no interest in checking out new power metal bands nowadays.

I can't even remember the most recent all out metal act I started to follow. I still follow the old ones but when it comes to new music I'm more driven to alternative stuff: folk / folk metal, weird theatric stuff, some occasional post rock here and there... I still consider myself a 100% metalhead but it's hard for a straight out, newcomer metal band to capture my interest.

Same. I still love every band I grew up with (well, most of them) and follow them, but I tried the last few days to listen to dozens of power metal bands from the last 10 years and holy crap are they offensive to my ears haha. It takes a herculean effort from a PM band to really impress me. (And is it me or are there NO new good singers in the genre? That's what kills a lot of these bands to me... where are the next Timo Kotipeltos and Fabio Liones??)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »
I'm a big prog metal fan, so I guess I'm surprised when there are prog metal bands that I really should like on paper, but I just don't.

On the other hand, I often don't care for a band that reminds me a little too much of Dream Theater or other prog metal bands, and yet other times, there will be a band that fits that description that I absolutely love.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
Genesis. I grew up loving Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd. Not sure what it is about them that I just don't get into.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
Genesis. I grew up loving Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd. Not sure what it is about them that I just don't get into.

Same here, I WANT to because so many people with tastes similar to mine do.  For whatever reason it just doesn't stick.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »
Mastodon
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »
Put me in the classic rock and prog group. I just can't get into much of the older stuff. Though partly because there's so much new music I don't have time to give the old stuff a ton of listening time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
Yea, a lot fo classic prog, but I wouldn't say thats a surprise since it's essentially a whole genre, but a band liek Rush which is universally loved and I really can't get into them.  I'd also add bands like Opeth and modern prog metal which seems right up my alley but just can't dig.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
Queensryche. They laid the groundwork for what would become my favorite band, DT; they are generally held in high regard by fans of other bands I enjoy; and they are from my area. When I listen to QR I enjoy the music, I just have never gone out of my way to do so, or really connected with the music like I feel I should.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »
Queensryche. They laid the groundwork for what would become my favorite band, DT; they are generally held in high regard by fans of other bands I enjoy; and they are from my area. When I listen to QR I enjoy the music, I just have never gone out of my way to do so, or really connected with the music like I feel I should.

This is so much me. I tried, I really did, but none of their stuff ever clicked for me.

Also - others have mentioned a couple of mine as well - Yes, Genesis, ELP, Crimson, etc... just have never really done it for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
Mastodon is like the premier prog sludge band and a lot of bands I love are influenced by them but I have never been too into any mastodon album

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »
I've said this loads of times elsewhere (and maybe here) but Mastodon are the utmost example of a band that I *almost* like. They're not quite there for some reason

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
^ While I do like Mastadon, I will say they are one band that sounds WAY worse live than in the studio. I love their studio work, but literally have zero interest in seeing them live as I can't even watch live videos of them.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

This one.   I tried, I gave it the good effort, but it just doesn't click, outside of a handful of songs.   Tom Petty is in this group as well.

Stephen Wilson.  Lord, I've tried, but - and this is coming from a guy that loves ELP, Yes and Crimson - it just comes off as pretentious to me.   

I suppose there are others, too.  Steve Hackett's solo stuff.  MSG stuff without Gary Barden (or Graham Bonnet).   Brian May solo stuff.

Damn!  ALL OF THIS......except Brian May......IF you place one of his solo tracks in a later Queen album, or in between Freddie and Roger solo tunes.  As with the first eight band albums, his style and voice fits like a glove as a great change of pace.

Check out 'Teasin' Around' and 'I Do' for the heck of it.  Fun stuff, and so 'Brian'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »
I've said this loads of times elsewhere (and maybe here) but Mastodon are the utmost example of a band that I *almost* like. They're not quite there for some reason

Mastodon

This is one band I *tried* getting into but as I got more and more of their albums, I slowly lost interest, and I found their music a bit too heavy for my tastes at the time. Funny enough, in the last few years, my tastes have mellowed out even more and I don't listen to much heavy stuff anymore, so I doubt I'll ever revisit this band ever again unless I'm really in the mood for something that heavy.

When it came to classic prog, when I was trying to discover many of the well-known and popular 70's prog acts, there were a few I tried but didn't seek out more than I did - Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, and Jethro Tull were three that I really wanted to get into, and I even bought a few VdGG albums (I enjoyed Pawn Hearts a bit, but the other two never stuck with me), and several Tull albums (from their debut up through TAAB, I think). I've given Tull more chances over the years and even bought a couple more albums of theirs to see if my changed-tastes find them a bit more interesting, and they did, but not enough for me to really dive into them at the moment, so I still consider them a failed-attempt at a band I tried liking but just don't really get. I do enjoy TAAB though - that's good fun.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »
Haken, Pain of Salvation, and Porcupine Tree are the three that I've given repeated chances, but just don't click with me.

:dunno:

I could probably rhyme off a ton more, but those are the 3 biggest ones that come to mind that are generally beloved by DTF.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »

Damn!  ALL OF THIS......except Brian May......IF you place one of his solo tracks in a later Queen album, or in between Freddie and Roger solo tunes.  As with the first eight band albums, his style and voice fits like a glove as a great change of pace.

Check out 'Teasin' Around' and 'I Do' for the heck of it.  Fun stuff, and so 'Brian'.

I'm a huge Queen fan, and have been binging on the band lately (I even went out and bought Hot Space - I actually like Action This Day and Calling All Girls) and Brian is an acquired taste.  You hit the nail on the head:  he fits nicely with the rest of the band and is a great change of pace.   Doesn't sustain a whole album in my view.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
First example that comes to mind is Opeth.

Ditto with me too.  Tried and tried and tried again to get into them, but they never clicked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
While I wouldn't say I do not like them, I really thought Marillion would be a band I would go hog wild over it, but I never did. They have a dozen or so songs I really dig, but that's about it.  And even those, I rarely listen to them.  The vast majority of their material bored me to tears when I checked it out.

Gentle Giant is another.  I remember getting into Spock's Beard and many saying, "if you like them, you'll really dig Gentle Giant," but it was the opposite. Gentle Giant is some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
Devin Townsend. He's great and talented but I finally realized just two weeks ago why I can't get into him. Whenever I listen to his albums, I enjoy the first two to three songs then it suddenly becomes tiring. It's like there's a wall of sound and it's just too much and the songs start to blend together.