Poll

Preference?

Gamma Ray
Deris era Helloween

Author Topic: Gamma Ray vs. Deris era Helloween  (Read 3170 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gamma Ray vs. Deris era Helloween
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
I've basically ignored Deris era Helloween. I remember buying their Mr. Ego and Perfect Gemtlemen EPs and I just couldn't make the adjustment from Kiske to Deris. Plus, I still feel like I gravitated to Kai Hansen. I like Gamma Ray a lot, even if it can sound a little samey.

Today, I am likely buying my first Deris era Helloween album if availabe, I am leaning towards Time Of The Oath or The Dark Ride.
So..what do you think about comparing these two bands, and any special reccomendations for Helloween for me?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Gamma Ray vs. Deris era Helloween
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »
I have Master of the Rings and Time of the Oath.  They're both real solid, perhaps not as much as, say, Gamma Ray's 95-01 run, but strong overall.  They aren't as speed-oriented as Gamma Ray, either, though they are much more power metal than Pink Bubbled Go Ape and Shitmeleon, and there are some good fast tracks to be found on both records.  I actually prefer them over any of the Kiske era stuff, though I've never really enjoyed the Kiske era very much.  If you have to pick one, I prefer MotR, but either one is a good choice.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
Gamma Ray, by far. Helloween's had some decent albums in the Deris era, but even the best of them were only echoes of the band's 80s output. Gamma Ray's best albums > Helloween w/Deris.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Kosmo

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
Deris era Helloween for me. Gambling With the Devil and The Dark Ride are probably my favorite Helloween albums overall, there's a few stinker albums in the Deris era but I can look past those.

With that said Gamma Ray is still really great, but it doesn't click with me the same way as Helloween.

And I'll just come out and say it.. I fucking hated Kai's vocals on Walls of Jericho.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »
I'll go with Deris era Helloween. I can still give a spin to every album Helloween released with Deris, with the exception of The Legacy, while Gamma ray put out a couple of records I'm not a huge fan of. But I'm strange when it comes to Gamma ray, because I prefer No world order and Majestic to their more popular albums.

Time of the oath and Master of the rings are amazing albums, and the last two records have a whole bunch of awesomeness as well.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »
I was able to grab used copies of both The Dark Ride and The Time Of The Oath for $6.99 each  :metal

And I'll just come out and say it.. I fucking hated Kai's vocals on Walls of Jericho.

Kai's vocals are tough to get used to. As much as I do like Gamma Ray, I should like them a lot more based on the music, but Kai is really terrible. Though you can tell that he's really tried to improve his delivery over time.
I wished they just rerecorded Kiske's vocals over Walls anyway, but still through b sides, they've done a couple. Kiske slays How Many tears!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BanksD

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
As much as I enjoy 7 Sinners (the only Deris era Helloween i know) I enjoy most of Gamma Ray's discog over it (Specifically all the albums from Land Of The Free to No World Order)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
The Dark Ride is my favorite Helloween-album, but overall I'm leaning towards Gamma Ray.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
I am loving The Time Of The Oath!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
Gamma Ray.  Simply one of my all time favourite bands.  The run of albums of Land of the Free, Somewhere Out In Space, Powerplant and No World Order is power metal simply at its best.  I love the three Ralf albums also, they are great hidden gems, Insanity and Genius could be included in that run of albums.

Majestic and Land of The Free 2 were amazing also, with LOTF2 being a top 3 Ray album for me.  The last one To The Metal, was decent but lacked what LOTF2 had.  What I also like about Gamma Ray is that they have had a consistent lineup since 1997, which shines in their music.

I love Helloween also, and I'm one of the ones that prefers the Deris era over the Kiske era.  Master and Oath are both excellent, but if you want Helloween at its best, you must check out, Dark Ride, Better Than Raw, Rabbit Don't Come Easy, Keepers 3, Gambling with the Devil and 7 Sinners.  If anything, Helloween have become much more reliable and consistent than Gamma Ray over the last 5 or so years.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
Kiske is a really legendary singer for sure but I'm going with Denis era/Helloween.  Helloween is one of my favourite power metal group. Back in the days I think Denis did very well with his live performances, even better than Kiske. Agreed that Helloween's last stuffs are below their quality but still they have energy. About Kai, I don't like his stuff with Helloween, though I still like Walls of Jericho I prefer him with Gamma Ray.

Gamma Ray, on the other hand, I also love their some of musics but can't get into much. Land Of The Free is my favorite album.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
Agree about Deris live, he was amazing in his early years with Helloween, High Live has always been one of my fav DVD's.  Deris kills on that, even on the Kiske stuff.  Nowadays, he is below average.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:21:51 AM »
Bumping this, as I could not find a dedicated Gamma Ray thread.

Big fan from the debut, I don't have all the albums but what I have a really like.
Only just found out about the remastered double CD's from the last couple of years, some are OOP already?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:32:45 AM by gazinwales »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 04:25:48 AM »

Big fan from the debut, I don't have all the albums but what I have a really like.
Only just found out about the remastered double CD's from the last couple of years, some are OOP already?

I didn't bother picking any of those up simply cause my priorities have changed and they are very pricey.  Plus, most of the bonus stuff from the last set of remasters and the other tracks aren't really worth it.  If there are albums you don't have though, it's a no brainer.  Also from my point of view, there is no official cd versions of Heading for the East and Lust For Live which would be nice.  Also I'm waiting for these editions of Somewhere Out in Space and onwards.  They could be a different story.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
Deris era Helloween. GR doesn't have one album I love from start to finish, but Helloween has The Dark Ride, Gambling with the Devil, and 7 Sinners all of which are stronger than GR's best albums in my opinion (which would be Land of the Free, Powerplant, and Somewhere Out In Space).

The problem for me is that GR is comfortably average with a handful of standout, amazing power metal tracks. Helloween is very inconsistent though. Gambling With The Devil is one of my favorite power metal albums ever written, but Rabbit Don't Come Easy, Unarmed, Keepers Legacy, My God-Given Right are all really bad in my opinion. Very high highs and very low lows.

That said I think Kai Hansen is way better live (or used to be) than Deris ever was. I saw Gamma Ray for the first (and probably only) time in 2011 and couldn't believe how tight the band was and how good Kai's voice was, still hitting all the notes in Ride the Sky, my favorite Helloween song. What a monster!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

I didn't bother picking any of those up simply cause my priorities have changed and they are very pricey.  Plus, most of the bonus stuff from the last set of remasters and the other tracks aren't really worth it.  If there are albums you don't have though, it's a no brainer.  Also from my point of view, there is no official cd versions of Heading for the East and Lust For Live which would be nice.  Also I'm waiting for these editions of Somewhere Out in Space and onwards.  They could be a different story.

Check out ebay seller 'importcds-au' I've bought many CD's and vinyl from them over the years, they are selling Gamma Ray remasters;
Insanity and Genius $11.26
Lust For Live $11.20
Heading For The East $10.39
Prices are in AU and shipping is free, usually taking from the USA to AU 1-3 weeks.
I'm pretty sure that these are all official releases too ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »

Check out ebay seller 'importcds-au' I've bought many CD's and vinyl from them over the years, they are selling Gamma Ray remasters;
Insanity and Genius $11.26
Lust For Live $11.20
Heading For The East $10.39
Prices are in AU and shipping is free, usually taking from the USA to AU 1-3 weeks.
I'm pretty sure that these are all official releases too ;D

Fuck that's cheap mate.  Gonna click on now and have a browse.

EDIT:  Yeah, they look legit alright.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:22:38 PM by wolfking »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 04:39:07 PM »
Yeah as I said bought loads from them over the past 5 years, cheap and shipping is not too long to wait.
Average is 2-3 weeks, but lately been getting them within 7 days.

Not sure why there hasn't been more remasters of Space, Powerplant and alike, must be something to do with labels and rights to the material.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
Yeah as I said bought loads from them over the past 5 years, cheap and shipping is not too long to wait.
Average is 2-3 weeks, but lately been getting them within 7 days.

Not sure why there hasn't been more remasters of Space, Powerplant and alike, must be something to do with labels and rights to the material.

They have sort of just been releasing one by one from the start, but I would have expected more by now.

I actually just ordered the Lust For Live from there as well as the new Nocturnal Rites which has grown on me and Omnium Gatherum's last one.  Not really too interested in Heading for the East as much as Lust For Live, but no doubt I'll order more when I load up some more funds.  Great find, thanks mate.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
Awesome mate, their prices are hard to beat.
Watching the Skeletons and Majesties BR, really love this, superb audio and video, plus Kiske!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 11:37:07 PM »
Awesome mate, their prices are hard to beat.
Watching the Skeletons and Majesties BR, really love this, superb audio and video, plus Kiske!

Thats a nice realease indeed. My fav live Gamma Ray is Skeletons in the Closet, thats a ripping live cd. I always wished there was a DVD from that tour.  Looking forward to this Lust For Live cd though, thats a killer show.