Author Topic: Just started D&D... and it is a freaking blast.  (Read 1653 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Just started D&D... and it is a freaking blast.
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
I have to give major props to my friend Dan, the dungeon master. Or Dangeon Master, as I've dubbed him.  He's new as well, but he spent an ungodly amount of time learning the ins and outs of running the game, and has crafted a magnificent campaign for us.

My favorite encounter of the night:

The area we were in was part of a series of rooms. Each room had a puzzle or riddle that led to a chest appearing in the same area. When opened, it would teleport us to the next area. This particular encounter was, I thought, very creative. It was also crafted especially for me. My "thing" at work is my Rubik's Cube. It's basically my fidget spinner. I play with it all day, scrambling and solving, over and over. It's my stress relief. Dan works with me so he's well aware, and worked it into his dungeon.

There were six of us, total. We were in a room with no doors and windows. There was an empty pedestal with dwarven runes in the center of this room, and a staircase that led to the second floor. Three of us went upstairs and three remained down. In the middle of the upstairs floor was an area that was slightly discolored.  On the other side of the discolored area there stood a large statue. After determining it wasn't a a typical trap, one brave soul decided to set foot on this discolored area. The statue came to life: it was a golem. The same time this happened, a magical cube rose up from the pedestal downstairs.

I yelled at them to come downstairs, but as soon as they left the discolored area, the golem froze, and the cube disappeared. Aha! I knew what they had to do."Okay, get your ass back upstairs." They had to fend off this incredibly strong golem upstairs while I solved the cube downstairs. My character recognized it because, as a cleric, his holy symbol is a concentration cube. It's essentially a rubik's cube, but all gold. Now this cube Dan prepped was a little bit tougher than the standard, because the components of the cube were translucent, so at times it was hard to discern what color a certain piece was. Nevertheless, I solved it after about two full rounds of combat. The golem stopped fighting, bowed to the party members, and gave way to the next chest.

My concentration cube (the gold one)

The cube I had to solve:

My character is a dwarf named Timli. Dan happens to have a tall table with tall chairs - so, as a dwarf, I sit in a shorter chair than everyone.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Just started D&D... and it is a freaking blast.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »
Did he make you sit in the short chair? If so, that is a masterful DM. Been so long since I played man, you made me wistful for a good campaign. Enjoy bro!!!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:26 PM »
No, the short chair was my idea. I enjoy theatricality and immersion, so I plan to DM in the future, as well. I really look forward to it.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Man I miss playing. I picked up a pre-planned adventure from the local comic store, and a couple sets of dice. I told my kiddos all about D&D and promised them I’d show them how to play. Just have to carve the time out to do it now.

But, looks like a blast man    :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:05:21 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
My just-turned-14 year old daughter started playing about two months ago.  Her group is mostly other girls her age.  Man...times have changed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 07:24:20 PM »
I liked AD&D when I was younger.  I'd probably consider playing again if I wasn't so invested in board games.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:38 PM »
Ah, the days pussy evaded me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:11 PM »
That meme is accurate for 15 year old king.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 10:03:54 PM »
I think my character's affinity for puns both encapsulates and justifies his low charisma.

Me: So how's business been?
Stablemaster: Ohh, it's alright. We're not a big town, but people come and go, and we manage.
Me: So you'd say business is stable?
Stablemaster: ...
Stablemaster: Can I talk to someone else?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
I've attempted to play D&D on three occasions with a very hardcore group. They had years worth of binders filled with characters and their stats. I had to create a character with a backstory and abilities, and the DM did a great job of working them into the games. I love the idea of D&D, and I enjoyed it a lot at times, but it was too much for me overall. I don't mind long games. I've played games of Firefly and and Risk that have gone well beyond the 5 hour mark, but I never wanted a game to end as badly as I did D&D.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »
I liked AD&D when I was younger.  I'd probably consider playing again if I wasn't an adult.

Fix'd.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
I wish I had friends I could play D&D with. I have one who is into it but he works third shift so I never see him anyway. I tried organizing a group with my other friends who showed interest but I just know they'd zone out and try to fuck it all up by being silly and trying to make their own rules.

I've been working for a long time on a Legend of Zelda-themed D&D game using a massive printout of the world map from the game Link's Awakening, which works perfectly because everything is already set up in a grid formation and there's varied terrain and a story to it. The map's almost exactly the same size as my dining room table which is perfect too. Just wish I had local friends to play it with. May need to carve out time this year to look in the nearby city for players...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »
I love the concept, and many elements of D&D appeal to me, since I am a total nerd-geek at heart.  I just can't justify the time it takes.  To me, it all moves very, very slowly.

I tried D&D once in high school.  Couldn't get into it.  Tried again as an adult a few years back, with my neighbor who plays regularly and is apparently a reasonably well-respected Dungeon Master.  After an hour of sitting in the pub where the adventure begins, we still hadn't left the building and started on the actual adventure.  I like intellectual pursuits, but I guess I need a higher ratio of things actually "happening" in the game to the amount of time spent rolling dice to determine exactly what happens.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »
I love the concept, and many elements of D&D appeal to me, since I am a total nerd-geek at heart.  I just can't justify the time it takes.  To me, it all moves very, very slowly.

I tried D&D once in high school.  Couldn't get into it.  Tried again as an adult a few years back, with my neighbor who plays regularly and is apparently a reasonably well-respected Dungeon Master.  After an hour of sitting in the pub where the adventure begins, we still hadn't left the building and started on the actual adventure.  I like intellectual pursuits, but I guess I need a higher ratio of things actually "happening" in the game to the amount of time spent rolling dice to determine exactly what happens.

Very similar to my experience. The final time I played, we spent 5.5 hours getting out of a pub and rescuing some guy in an alleyway. We completed the objective and I couldn't have been happier that it was over. Next thing I know, the DM is flipping the board (grid paper) over and we're starting part two. The game took an additional 3 hours.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
Damn.  I would not have lasted the 5.5 hours.

My neighbor had been mentioning it a few times we got together ("we" meaning he and I, plus our wives), and our wives are a little bit geeky too, so we tried it.  Like I said, we got an hour into it, and the ladies we're getting pretty bored, which kinda put pressure on me to advocate calling it off, because he (the DM) sure wasn't going to.  He was excited to try out his latest masterpiece on a new group.  So it didn't really work out.  I told him that maybe I'd join him the next time he meets with his group, but as a foursome, it just wasn't working.  Then they moved to Ohio.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »
I tried playing in spring last year with a group of people. Half of them didn't prepare anything or bring any of their own supplies. We spent 5 hours just preparing. And then another 5 playing and, just like you guys, we never even got out of the pub we were in. Needless to say I never came back
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
I completely forgot, I was going to mention that my son recently joined a D&D group.  They get together every Saturday.  He's a nerd-geek like his old man, and he seems pretty into it.  One member of their group is currently serving overseas, but joins them via Skype or one of those other remote face-to-face apps.

I told him that I played D&D a bit when I was younger (which is true), but didn't want to cast anything negative on something that he obviously is having some fun doing, so I didn't go into any detail.  He's 25, and his friends are all around the same age, so apparently D&D is still alive and well with younger folks.  I would have thought that only dinosaurs like myself were into it.  I even asked him if it's some kind of automated or computerized version (I don't know how it's done these days) but he said it's all old-school, with maps and pencil and paper.  I think that's cool.  Not my thing, but if others are into it, good for them.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 04:45:22 AM »
so apparently D&D is still alive and well with younger folks.  I would have thought that only dinosaurs like myself were into it.  I even asked him if it's some kind of automated or computerized version (I don't know how it's done these days) but he said it's all old-school, with maps and pencil and paper.  I think that's cool.

It very much is around here as well! I think it being something completely without computers is kind of the charm, it's really nice to just get together, have some beers etc. I've been playing for about a half year with a group of people from my sports association (the party even includes three girls)  and it's been great fun!

My favourite moment was when one of our party members, Heimir, wandered of all one and got killed by a bear. Our party then spend the next few sessions looking for him, as our characters did not know he was dead (the guy who played Heimir had a new character already). "I wonder how Heimir's doing" since became kind of an inside joke, as we as players new very well that we were spending the sessions just to find his remains.

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
D&D is super fun with the right group, and yeah, younger folks (I'm 24) are still playing it. It's better with like-minded friends, but even with a random group (which is how I basically started playing) it could be a blast. I think the fifth edition really revitalized the interest in the game after somewhat lukewarm received fourth edition.

I'm planning to DM my first adventure this March for my four friends who mostly haven't played D&D ever (except for one guy, who did play about 10 years ago)—which is probably going to be the one from 5e starter's set which I played but haven't run yet—and we'll see where it goes from there.

Also, for people who has a lot of free time to watch, you can try and watch the show call Critical Role (easy to find on YouTube). It's basically some professional voice actors playing D&D every week with a fantastic DM. They had one campaign running for about 2,5 years on camera (and about 2 years on playing at home before that, so the group genuinely likes the game and has a lot of fun playing it, not just doing it for money or recognition), finished that one in about 115 episodes (all of which are 3+ hours long) and they're currently starting a new campaign from scratch, they're two episodes in. This show is basically what got me into D&D about a year and a half ago.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »
^^ I'll check that out, Evermind. Sounds cool. Have you ever watched Acquisitions Incorporated? That's what made me actually want to play, seeing Patrick Rothfuss (and the rest) have a blast and really play the game like experts. The DM is incredibly fun too.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »
^^ I'll check that out, Evermind. Sounds cool. Have you ever watched Acquisitions Incorporated? That's what made me actually want to play, seeing Patrick Rothfuss (and the rest) have a blast and really play the game like experts. The DM is incredibly fun too.

Is that the one with Chris Perkins? I haven't watched it, but I've heard good things about it, basically that this show and Critical Role were two of the best D&D shows you could find. If they release episodes every week, I doubt I will be able to watch both of them though. :)

Patrick is actually a guest player in a few Critical Role episodes and Chris plays in one episode too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »

Is that the one with Chris Perkins? I haven't watched it, but I've heard good things about it, basically that this show and Critical Role were two of the best D&D shows you could find. If they release episodes every week, I doubt I will be able to watch both of them though. :)

Patrick is actually a guest player in a few Critical Role episodes and Chris plays in one episode too.

It is! I'm not sure if it's a weekly thing, I've only ever watched the live episodes at Comic Con or other conventions (I just YouTube Acquisitions Live and it pops up). It's so damn fun with the audience involved. Can't wait to check out CR.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
I will never understand the concept of this game. Some of my friends played back in the 80's. It makes no sense to me.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
I will never understand the concept of this game. Some of my friends played back in the 80's. It makes no sense to me.

The concept is you get together with friends to craft your own characters and stories and adventures in a fantasy setting. That's it! It's sophisticated make believe and a great excuse to hang with friends :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
I'd actually seen some of Acquisitions Incorporated, though I didn't know that's what it was. Wil Wheaton is an occasional guest player on there, and the dude's actually pretty funny. God damn, though, talk about a bunch of nerds.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson