Author Topic: Altered Carbon - NETFLIX  (Read 12976 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Altered Carbon - NETFLIX
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
Very cool! I only know the actor from the MCU films, but in those I like his work quite a bit, as to me he is one of the better "side heroes" in that universe.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 09:20:49 AM »
Season 2 starts February 27th. I'm gonna have to do some sort of recap vid or something....trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MzbLQBeR9Y
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
Suh-weet.  Loved S1.  Though, I'm massively behind on other series that I want / need to watch.  Not enough disposable time, goddammit!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »
I'm gonna have to do some sort of recap vid or something....

Like this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKbyedQy9Y
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »
I'm gonna have to do some sort of recap vid or something....

Like this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKbyedQy9Y

:lol  Yep.....just like that. That was easy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
Giggity!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »
I've watched the first two episodes. I'm hopeful the remaining episodes are 'better'.  Production value is certainly there....but for my taste it's lacking something and I just can't quite put my finger on it. I am only two episodes in though so it can certainly turn the corner.

Online faizoff

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
I watched the first episode of S2 last night and also feel there is something missing. Everything looks great, I don't know exactly why I'm not fully enamored by it so far. Will catch the rest of episodes later.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2020, 10:45:31 AM »
I'm so far behind on my TV watching - I still haven't spun up The Witcher.  Not sure when I'm gonna get to this one.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
I watched the first episode of S2 last night and also feel there is something missing. Everything looks great, I don't know exactly why I'm not fully enamored by it so far. Will catch the rest of episodes later.

Same for me.

There is no real emotional buildup or anything. Stuff happens, but the first episode feels more like the show was directed from a fact sheet or something. And the action looks flashy and all, but it was also so-so edited with a lot of cuts implying cool moves (or showing glimpses of them) but not fully showing them. Season 1 had fantastic fight sequence where the buildup and payoff was perfect.

Hopefully what follows grabs me more.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2020, 06:12:07 PM »
I'm ok with the action sequences, I'm having trouble buying the way Mackie plays Kovacs compared to Kinnaman. I guess it's tricky to emulate the way another actor plays a character if that makes any sense. Otherwise I'm good so far with the show.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2020, 05:44:37 AM »
I broke down and prioritized watching this (ahead of The Witcher).  Took in Ep 1 last night, gonna spin up Ep 2 momentarily. 

I'm ok with the action sequences, I'm having trouble buying the way Mackie plays Kovacs compared to Kinnaman. I guess it's tricky to emulate the way another actor plays a character if that makes any sense. Otherwise I'm good so far with the show.

I thought the fight scene was a little too acrobatic, but wasn't too stuffed about it.  The Mackie v Kinnaman thing is this is the part that isn't clicking for me.  Heck, I thought the lounge singer was a more convincing Kovacs than Mackie is so far.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2020, 09:04:08 AM »
Ok, so I'm not the only one. The lounge singer would've been great throughout the show. I think the other thing that's bugging me is the novelity of it has worn of, yet there really isn't any intrigue to it either. In S1, it had both, this time both are lacking a bit. 

Think I'm at E5 right now, was pooped and fading in and out last night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
Agree about the lounge singer. I’ve seen that actress in a couple other shows and she’s good. Would have been neat to have her around longer.

I like Mackie a lot as an actor but I think the ‘switch’ to him from Kinnaman is what is not clicking for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »
Seems we're all in agreement on that point.

Also, I think they diverted severely from the source material. The first season followed the plot of the first book fairly close. They don't go to Harlan's world till the third book if I remember (it's been ages since I read them), but none of this story seems familiar.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2020, 06:35:05 PM »
Seems we're all in agreement on that point.

Also, I think they diverted severely from the source material. The first season followed the plot of the first book fairly close. They don't go to Harlan's world till the third book if I remember (it's been ages since I read them), but none of this story seems familiar.

I didn’t read it.....but saw an article titled ‘5 Ways Altered Carbon Has Changed from the Source Material’ (May not be exact headline quite) but the point was the show has made several deviations. I didn’t read the article cuz I’ve never read the books.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2020, 08:44:56 PM »
Well, I never read ‘em, so that’s not an issue for me.  Will try to snag Ep 3 tomorrow morning.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
Finished it today, though I'm gonna have to rewatch the last three episodes since I got my eyes dialated this morning and was fading in and out during ep6 and 7 which had a shit ton of info I missed. :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »
Ep. 3 and 4 were better for me. Still don’t think this season has that ‘grit’ and personality that S1 had. This season feels too refined....but it did pick up a bit for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2020, 07:47:06 AM »
Honestly, I thought episode 2 was better already and I loved 3 and 4. Perhaps the difference in lead between s1 and s2, together with more over the top action, was a bit jarring to me initially. Anyways, only the first episode bored me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2020, 01:06:41 AM »
So I just started watching the series. First two episodes (of season 1 of course) yesterday.

It's quite cool, I'm not yet completely invested, like "OMG why I waited so long to see this?", but I will follow it through the end. The homage to Blade Runner is quite evident in the atmosphere, we don't have replicants but sleeves. Curious to see how it will all unfold.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »
Finished the season. I will say I enjoyed S1 a bit more....but S2 wasn’t ‘bad’ per say. It still lacked something for my taste. Just had a completely different feel than S1. It’s a show I’ll certainly watch a S3 if there is one but....for me.....it took a bit of a dive in S2 if I had to compare to S1.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
Agree completely Gary. It took a bit to get used to Mackie as Kovacs. I really liked the story arc, but the last two episodes just felt rushed  ... like all that mattered was getting to the end.

And how did original Kovacs come around in his beliefs in just 24 hours? That I wasn’t buying. Again, too rushed.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm still confused as to why they went from a 10 episode season to an 8 episode one. I'd bet those extra two episodes would've been useful.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2020, 03:56:52 AM »
Watched the entire season 1. Liked it, not loved it. At times it was a bit convoluted, maybe a rewatch will help to appreciate better all the nuances. Kovacs was cool and Poe was such a great sidekick. Season 2 will not be on the top of my priorities to watch, but all in all it was a great mix of cyberpunk, sci-fi, Blade Runner homage and good (although nearly impossible to follow) detective story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »
Watching the new single episode anime, Altered Carbon Resleeved. Ridiculously violent, and sooooo good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2020, 10:17:31 AM »
Watching the new single episode anime, Altered Carbon Resleeved. Ridiculously violent, and sooooo good.

Was gonna give that a peek.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »

Netflix?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »

Netflix?

Yep

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
Yup, single episode, bout 1:15 long. Good compact story told in an efficient manner, left open ended for a shit ton of follow up stories.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »
I enjoyed season 2 a lot, started slowish but got better and better throughout IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »
Netflix has Cancelled Altered Carbon. Not surprising, especially considering Netflix’s approach to renewals. Plus, S2 was a step down from S1 i believe in large part due to the recasting of the main character. Nothing against Anthony Mackie but it just never felt like the same person.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
Netflix has Cancelled Altered Carbon. Not surprising, especially considering Netflix’s approach to renewals. Plus, S2 was a step down from S1 i believe in large part due to the recasting of the main character. Nothing against Anthony Mackie but it just never felt like the same person.

Agreed.  Oh well, 1 great season; 1 pretty good season; one excellent animated episode.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
Ah damn that's a real bummer, in some ways I thought season 2 was stronger than season 1 and I was excited to see where the story was going to go next.

I'm not a fan of shows being cancelled without an opportunity to wrap things up narratively. This isn't the worst case of it though, the season 2 plot was resolved, there were just interesting threads left to set up the next season which now won't go anywhere, which sucks a bit.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »
Is the 2nd season worth watching? I saw only the first episode of S2 and thought it was very dry and just kinda blah. I thought the 1st season was mostly good but the ending kinda fizzled a bit.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan