Author Topic: The official Spys4Darwin (Alice in Chains/Queensryche/Sponge) Thread  (Read 486 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Not sure how many people remember Spys4Darwin. It was was a supergroup of sorts in 2001, featuring the rhythm section of Alice in Chains (Sean Kinney and Mike Inez), Chris DeGarmo (ex-Queensryche) on guitar, and Vinnie Dombrowski on vocals (Sponge). The band had some big plans, which ultimately didn't happen, and as quickly as the project got some press, it was gone.

I hadn't listened to the six-song EP they put out, Microfish, in some time. I popped it in on a whim a couple of weeks ago, and I was really surprised how well it aged for me. I remember not liking it much back in 2001. But it really appealed to me now, 18 years later. It's absolutely a good mix of PL/HITNF DeGarmo guitars with AiC and of course Sponge's vocals. The latter was always the sticking point for me, but as I said, I dig it a lot more these days.

Anyway, I wrote up a blog on the band and the EP, and published it this morning - www.anybodylistening.net/scream.html (main blog page) / www.anybodylistening.net/spys4darwin.html (direct link to specific blog).

Any fans of this short-lived band out there?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:08:25 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!