Author Topic: Calling all SAHDs - Help me plan out my next couple months  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Calling all SAHDs - Help me plan out my next couple months
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
I am not aware of any Stay At Home Dads on here, but I will be a temp one in February and March with my new daughter (who will be 5-6 months). I have a very mediocre job that I am not in the slightest going to miss, and as this will be our last child, want to maximize my time with them any way I can.

So, as 5-6 months old don't need a ton of interaction, I imagine I will have some free time to fill. I have several movies I plan on watching, and a few games on Steam I haven't gotten around to: The Cat Lady and Deus Ex Human Revolution.  I don't have Netflix/HBO and am not good at binge-watching TV shows, which I know is often a recommendation for people with lots of free time.

Focus: A) Discuss being a SAHD/M B) Recommend me video games to play or things to do around the house.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Calling all SAHDs - Help me plan out my next couple months
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:52:33 PM »
You could catch up on the Genesis discography.  ;D

Chris, do you have another child? How old?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:24 PM »
Knew I could count on you!

Yes, my other is 6, and my wife will be back at work full time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
I'm not a SAHD, but as a 39 year old bachelor, I have plenty of free time to myself.  I suggest the Dark Souls video game series.  You'll find it more challenging than trying to convince your wife to have a four way with her and your two dream women.  But when you succeed, it is SO satisfying.

Second suggestion - A board game you can play solo.  My first suggestion would be Gloomhaven, but that is pretty pricy.  You can get Mage Knight, Star Trek: Frontiers (it is Mage Knight in the Star Trek universe), or Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd edition (need an iPad to play solo, but the app is free) for decent prices if you look.  Some games (Descent) have minis you can paint, a new hobby of mine.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:23:28 PM »
Dark Souls has been on my radar for a long time now, though I have been intimidated by the stories of how difficult it is. I am a casual gamer at best and don't relish extremely hard games.

Never heard of a one-player board game. Will check those out.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:32:00 PM »
Dark Souls isn't THAT hard.  The game teaches you how to play the game, it's not cheap shots and cheating.  Co-op helps a lot if you want.

I've never had a feeling of jubilation from a video game as I had when I beat Ornstein and Smough solo without any player help.   

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:53:09 AM »
Just coming off 9 months of 'stay at home' - though, no kids to tend, and mrs.jingle was also at home, so there was a lot of time together.  As for stuff I did on my own - read (I re-read The Dark Tower series; am now on to The Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin Anderson... I love his work), work-out, listen to a shit-ton of music, gaming a little, watched a lot of sports, cooked (and experimented a bit).

Oh, and scotch.  Lots of scotch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »
You may want to use the time developing immunity to iocane powder.  You never know when that may come in handy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:55 AM »
I was a SAHD for a month when my son was 7 months old.  Since he wasn't walking yet, it was pretty easy to get random things done around the house, and also errands that need to be done during the work day.  I also finished watching Breaking Bad during that time too, as well as several movies I've had on my queue for some time.  Don't be like me and worry about maximizing/optimizing your time.  Just enjoy being with your kid.

Edit: some mentions of gaming here.  I remember spending a lot of time learning Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator, too.  Very steep learning curve, and I never really got too deep.  You can download add-ons for actual space vehicles and missions, including some Apollo missions.  The command module control panel is complete, and you have to learn almost every switch flip and button press for a mission.  It got to be more about memorizing that sequence than actually "flying" so I lost interest, but I was amazed at the level of detail.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:33:00 AM by jasc15 »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
Just coming off 9 months of 'stay at home' - though, no kids to tend, and mrs.jingle was also at home, so there was a lot of time together.  As for stuff I did on my own - read (I re-read The Dark Tower series; am now on to The Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin Anderson... I love his work), work-out, listen to a shit-ton of music, gaming a little, watched a lot of sports, cooked (and experimented a bit).

Oh, and scotch.  Lots of scotch.

I was for about 9 months (though I worked part-time out of the house during that time), and this was pretty much me.  Did a lot of reading, playing guitar, etc.  I work out of the house for the most part, so even though I'm working I have time to do things (that would otherwise be spent in a car, etc.)   I would say, though, as someone that watches my 6-month old grandson on occasion, the assumption that they 'require little supervision' is a little optimistic, except when they're sleeping.  When they're awake, you're on, bro.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »
Just coming off 9 months of 'stay at home' - though, no kids to tend...

So you were technically a SAH.

I am more a bourbon man myself. I already listen to music and read as part of my daily routine. Thank you for reminding me I need to exercise though.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
I was for about 9 months (though I worked part-time out of the house during that time), and this was pretty much me.  Did a lot of reading, playing guitar, etc.  I work out of the house for the most part, so even though I'm working I have time to do things (that would otherwise be spent in a car, etc.)  I would say, though, as someone that watches my 6-month old grandson on occasion, the assumption that they 'require little supervision' is a little optimistic, except when they're sleeping.  When they're awake, you're on, bro.

That's kinda what I was thinking reading this thread. I'm not a SAHD, my wife stays home with our almost 3 year old, and while it's getting better the older our daughter gets, she still requires a lot of attention. She especially did when she was under a year old.

All kids are different I guess, but our daughter always, even from a very early age, wanted to interact with my wife and I, which doesn't allow for a ton of time to chill out and watch TV or read or play video games.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »
I took 6 months of parental leave in 2017, and got to be at home with the Chap* from 6-12mos. I found that I had tons of free time in the first 3 months, then less so as the months passed. He started crawling at 8 months and walking at 11, so those were the two big changes that affected my free time since he needed more attention once he was mobile. Here's what I did to pass my time:

-Cleaned the house literally every day, and had dinner ready when the wife got home (this was mostly to just to see how difficult it would be to maintain for 6 months...it wasn't....at all)

-Worked out almost every day in the home gym (and now I have several lingering injuries as a result, so maybe don't do this)

-Read a ton while he napped (usually 2-3 naps per day in the beginning, down to 1 or 2 by the end)

-Played lots of guitar

-Took him out walking every day if there was no rain

Basically, I had time enough on any given day to clean, cook, play with the Chap, exercise, and still enjoy my other hobbies. My game recommendation would be X-Com:  Enemy Within (not sure if it's on Steam). I don't game as much as I used to, but I still love to replay that one every year. That and COD Zombies.

*Bonus points if you know that literary reference

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
I took 6 months of parental leave in 2017, and got to be at home with the Chap* from 6-12mos. I found that I had tons of free time in the first 3 months, then less so as the months passed. He started crawling at 8 months and walking at 11, so those were the two big changes that affected my free time since he needed more attention once he was mobile. Here's what I did to pass my time:

-Cleaned the house literally every day, and had dinner ready when the wife got home (this was mostly to just to see how difficult it would be to maintain for 6 months...it wasn't....at all)

That's not politically correct!   It's hard!  It's a job!   :) 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
*Bonus points if you know that literary reference[/size]

Is your wife's name Susannah?  She a singer?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »
*Bonus points if you know that literary reference[/size]

Is your wife's name Susannah?  She a singer?

Her name is not Susannah, but yes, that is the reference. My wife was preggers when I read it, so we started calling him our Chap.

Correct, it's not PC, but it's nevertheless true . I realize every child is different, and that having multiple kids at home would be more difficult, but it was seriously easy to do all the cooking, cleaning, and child rearing every day. It was more or less a 6 month vacation, and I have no trouble telling any stay at home mom the exact same thing.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »
Tell my wife that please. Though we have 3 kids which makes it harder and she homeschools, but it annoys the crap out of me how low keeping the house clean is on her priority list.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »
I thought the Chap reference was familiar but couldn't put my finger on it. Haven't read those books in a long time.

My wife is a cleaning freak so I don't intend to need to pick up that slack any, but I do intend to keep a nice, tidy household, as well as cook dinners because I do enjoy cooking - and it gives me say over what we eat. She will also be working late for a while when she goes back and will be wiped by the time she gets home.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
Honestly, being that this will be your last, I would probably pay as much attention and soak in as much of the experience as you can. I wasn't a SAHD, but my wife and I used no help, so I was home for 2  1/2 days, and frankly, I truly miss it. I miss watching the old Thomas The Tank Engines DVDs, that sort of thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
The Cat in the Hat is the go to in our house if we really need a break. We don't let him watch any other tv, so he zombies out to it every time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »

Correct, it's not PC, but it's nevertheless true . I realize every child is different, and that having multiple kids at home would be more difficult, but it was seriously easy to do all the cooking, cleaning, and child rearing every day. It was more or less a 6 month vacation, and I have no trouble telling any stay at home mom the exact same thing.

No need to apologize to me.  I'm not arguing with you.  It can be mentally tough, but it's like anything else you do in life:  just do it.